• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Common Knowledge that isn't so common..

Flayl

Smash Hero
Pokémon Trainer
- Fatigue will continue to build up after your Pokémon begins to show signs of it, gradually decreasing your knockback to 70%.
- If your Pokémon is KO'd, its fatigue will be at 0 much sooner than it would if switched out manually.
- The Water-Grass-Fire triangle exists in-game, but only affects knockback.
- The line upon switching out a Pokémon with Pokémon Change depends on how many KOs the previous Pokémon made. The line when the Pokémon enters depends on how much damage the opponent has.

Squirtle
- Water Gun can not only push back enemies, but also stop projectiles.
- Getting jumped on during Withdraw leaves you wiggling helplessly on your back.
- Squirtle is agressively cute.

Ivysaur
- While b-air has heavenly range, it does very little damage.
- The sweetspot on d-air is the bulb before it bursts open, not the actual burst. It's a fairly strong Meteor Smash.
- Vine Whip has a sweetspot when not used for tethering. Edgeguarding with it kills about as early as u-smash.

Charizard
- Rock Smash can be reflected. It hurts.
- Fly has super armour in its early frames, making it a very good counter against edgeguarding.
- Your f-tilt, n-air and b-air have a sweetspot on the burning part of Charizard's tail.
Very few of these aren't common knowledge.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Characters other than Squirtle benefit from interrupting a run reverse with a jump cancel Upsmash.

At least Samus and Ganon are examples.

Ganon's case is moot, though, since the Usmash hitbox itself won't reach any farther.

You can interrupt a run with any special (for up-B, at least in virtue of jump cancel), and you can interrupt a dash with a side-B in either direction. In particular, you can always get a reversed side-B from a run or dash; it just may require a B-reversal in the running case. If you can't B-reverse side-B, you can only side-B forward during a run.

There is a difference between pivot grabbing by pressing [back]+Z, and pivot grabbing by pressing Z (holding) and soon after, [back].
Which one causes a slide, if either, depends on the character.

A character's run stop has IASA that allows for grabs, shields, or specials, including side-B in either direction.

All characters have a slow run.

Jigglypuff can't run reverse.

Blackrider said:
More stuff: Game and Watch's throw speed is dependent on opposing character's weight.
All throws' speeds depend on the character weight. However they also depend on the character performing the throw: "Strong" characters (by stipulation of the game designer) throw quickly, and light characters are thrown quickly.

"light" characters are those with low vertical inertia.

Blackrider213

Smash Apprentice
Wrong.

Ice Climber's Fthrow and Uthrow ALWAYS go at the same speed.

Idk about other throws, though.
I'm assuming that you have tested this yourself then right? I can't verify at the moment, but I will try.

Edit: Apparently, what he said seems true. I tested the IC's Fthrow and Uthrow on Kirby and Bowser, and it seems like weight doesn't matter for these throws. It looks like the same throw speed to me. I guess we could test every single character's grab and see who else, if any, has a throw speed that's independent of weight.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Let's keep this alive.

Pikachu can ledge drop 12 frames faster than the rest of the cast after grabbing the ledge, but he also has 12 less frames of ledge invincibility. This sorta makes him a poor ledge hogger.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Hmmm I always wondered why I could never do ledge hop attacks as fast as pikapika!...

Sonics spring, side b, and up smash all have invincibility frames.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
Hmmm I always wondered why I could never do ledge hop attacks as fast as pikapika!...

Sonics spring, side b, and up smash all have invincibility frames.
And I HATE THEM.

It's possible for Pit's arrows to become stuck on ledges and other bits of terrain. They retain their hitbox. This is pretty much impossible to do on purpose, but it happens.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Name search moar.

Uh...Sonic's the fastest character?

than cap falcon.

than fox

than MK

i dont know after that. im just pretty sure that jpuff has the slowest running speed, than ganondorf right after i believe.

also, i think theres a certain amount of time that you cant drop off the ledge after you grab it. but tether grabbers dont have this problem

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
And I HATE THEM.

It's possible for Pit's arrows to become stuck on ledges and other bits of terrain. They retain their hitbox. This is pretty much impossible to do on purpose, but it happens.
iirc this also happens with Snake mortars and falco lasers in the right spots.

Also if Lucario AS is shielded a certain way, it travels in an offbeat angle depending on the angle of the shield prior from what I've seen, which seems to lose its hitbox to the player who shielded it, also from my observation. I say this because the Aura Sphere HAS hit other players in doubles/FFA matches.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
iirc this also happens with Snake mortars and falco lasers in the right spots.

Also if Lucario AS is shielded a certain way, it travels in an offbeat angle depending on the angle of the shield prior from what I've seen, which seems to lose its hitbox to the player who shielded it, also from my observation. I say this because the Aura Sphere HAS hit other players in doubles/FFA matches.
This happens with all projectiles, even in Melee and 64.

Aura Sphere is unique in that it sometimes hobbles along the ground, a feat which I've never seen any other projectile replicate.

Blackrider213

Smash Apprentice
I forgot where I heard this, but Pikachu's thunder can pass through certain parts of Hyrule Temple.

Kishin

Smash Ace
If you say, up+b with Marth facing left, then you can quickly slide the control stick to the top right corner and Marth will do a vertical dolphin slash. This allowed him to fast fall earlier than compared to a regular dolphin slash since Marth will hover for a moment before you are able to fast fall.

Shieldbreak stun length decreases as percentage increases.

Captain Falcon also has a noticeable super jump similar to Ganondorfs'. Although, the super jump is only about the height Falcon would get from his regular second jump and there is quite a bit of lag before you can do anything, making it rather useless (there's enough time to get a b-air out and that's it).

If you are able to correctly spam down+b as Marth on Norfair, then you can remain completely invincible throughout the wall of lava as well as being able to counter through the pit of lava on the bottom of the stage.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Both Dedede and Kirby have pretty strange hitboxes when it comes to inhale;

First off you can actually view the hit boxes in game, by turning on Smoke Balls. Go to a stage[Luigi's Mansion for darker backdrop], pick up a smoke ball, toss it then slowly approach the smoke ball and inhale.

Kirby's are abit thinner and have alittle more range than DDD's

DDD's are abit fatter and has alittle shorter range than kirbys. Not sure if there's a height difference between the two.

The wind box is pretty weird in that to eat certain items you must be right next to them. Where as with opponents they can be pulled into the mouth if they get too close.

Plus you guys already should know that inhale does weird things like pull the opponent under the stage, and on Norfair someone used it as a means to trap MK between the wind box and the lava[very situational]

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
From what I remember there are two hitboxes on inhale (at least on D3's), a wind hitbox that can still activate counters (like Marth's), but if shielded will not pull a character, then a "grab" hitbox, where they go into a special animation prior to getting inhaled.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
On wifi (friends only) if you desync the Ice Climbers and have only nana taunt you'll be able to run around with your taunt message as popo while nana is doing the taunt.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
From what I remember there are two hitboxes on inhale (at least on D3's), a wind hitbox that can still activate counters (like Marth's), but if shielded will not pull a character, then a "grab" hitbox, where they go into a special animation prior to getting inhaled.
That same hit box also allows you to get kills in non-stocked matches. Example; if you were to Inhale a Ike using his side b and he suicides it counts as a point for DDD. Regardless of who hit him last. Its all thanks to how that hitbox works lol

Blackrider213

Smash Apprentice
If you say, up+b with Marth facing left, then you can quickly slide the control stick to the top right corner and Marth will do a vertical dolphin slash. This allowed him to fast fall earlier than compared to a regular dolphin slash since Marth will hover for a moment before you are able to fast fall.
On the same topic of Marth using dolphin slash, you can make Marth do a backwards Up B. No, I'm not talking about reversing an Up B. The situation is similar to what I quoted here. If we took the same conditions as said by Kishin, then if you quickly move the control stick to the right (unlike top right corner), with enough time so that you don't do a reverse Up B, you can actually move backwards while still facing forwards. Not really useful I think though. You just move slightly backwards while facing forwards.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
who's a player who frequently fox trots with dorf etc?

is. . . is that a question?

I frequently foxtrot with Ganondorf.

Pika's quick ledge drop is fascinating. It seems that many more characters have some special physical property than in Melee.

Some have a literal shield (the Links)
some have wall hug and/or wall hop
one character has no traction issues
one character has horribad traction and suffers more shield push
one character has a **** GR, two characters are ***** by GR, and one character resists GR
and apparently one has a really fast ledge drop

Oh, and one character has a faster air dodge than everyone else.

But not everyone has something like this, it appears. I mean... what could Robot have? Or Dedede?

Blackrider213

Smash Apprentice
Shieldbreak stun length decreases as percentage increases.
This is only partially correct. If this was 100% correct, then you would have a much harder time recovering out of shieldbreak stun at 0% than at 100%. But this is true for really really high percents. I'm not sure what the threshold is, but it's really high. I'm guessing around 400%.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Some trivia about footstooling. Most of the cast can footstool an opponent 4 times before touching the ground, but some characters are different.
Pikachu, Diddy, Sheik, Squirtle, Yoshi, IC's, D3, Wolf, Sonic, Bowser, Rob and CF can footstool 5 times before touching the ground.
Falco can footstool 6 times before touching the ground and Jigglypuff can only footstool 3 times. Nana can 'steal' footstools from Popo, but is still able to footstool even if combined they have used all 5.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
That sounds great!
Not very useful, though..
Anyways, have anyone more swimming data?

Zeruel21

Smash Journeyman
CPUs are programmed to play along with the WarioWare minigames, even when set to stop in training.
The technique to not grab ledges by holding down works even during recoveries. This can be useful with PK Thunder 2 as it allows for odd ricochets that wouldn't normally occur when recovering, like skidding along the ground or flying upward.
Marth's Up B can be angled to move backward while still facing forward by inputting up and then up-backwards quickly.

As a question, does anyone have a complete list of transcendent attacks?

TP

Smash Master
Pika's quick ledge drop is fascinating. It seems that many more characters have some special physical property than in Melee.

Some have a literal shield (the Links)
some have wall hug and/or wall hop
one character has no traction issues
one character has horribad traction and suffers more shield push
one character has a **** GR, two characters are ***** by GR, and one character resists GR
and apparently one has a really fast ledge drop

Oh, and one character has a faster air dodge than everyone else.

But not everyone has something like this, it appears. I mean... what could Robot have? Or Dedede?
ROB has the only move that charges automatically BUT only in certain situations (namely, his UpB only charges when he is on the ground, but it is automatic).

DDD is unique in that he is the only character that brings a POINTLESS weapon into battle. Here are all of his moves that DON'T involve his hammer: Dtilt, Utilt, Bair, Nair, Grab, Pummel, Dthrow, Uthrow, Inhale, Waddle Toss, and his UpB. He'd be just fine with only these moves. He'd be better off if he dropped the hammer and got more moves like Bair and Utilt. What a silly penguin.

:034:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
You forgot DashAttack :V lol and his smashes are pretty underrated...
Anyways, Waddle Dees aren't completly useless: they can kill. At ridiculous high %, but kill anyways =P

Top Bottom