• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Common Knowledge that isn't so common..

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
I forgot where I heard this, but Pikachu's thunder can pass through certain parts of Hyrule Temple.
Oh right, that reminds me.

Thunder will pass through all platforms within a certain distance below the cloud, or if the cloud begins inside an obstacle (like inside Hyrule Temple). This was made so that Pikachu's Thunder wouldn't be completely useless on stages with many platforms or hallways like Rainbow Cruise or Rumble Falls.

That reminds me again about a piece of game mechanics. All platforms, objects, and floors in Brawl are hollow. This probably doesn't mean much though outside of things like Pikachu's Thunder when the cloud spawns inside a stage object, or glitching yourself into stages occasionally.

Also, Twilight Prince, it's a picture of a girl dressed up as an Ekans, next to an actual Ekans.

Blackrider213

Smash Apprentice
Marth's Up B can be angled to move backward while still facing forward by inputting up and then up-backwards quickly.
Did I not try to say this a few posts before yours? Maybe mine's was just a bit to confusing and wordy.

When I first saw the avatar, I thought it was a girl whose hair morphed into an Ekans. I'm just blind like that.

Zeruel21

Smash Journeyman
Did I not try to say this a few posts before yours? Maybe mine's was just a bit to confusing and wordy.

When I first saw the avatar, I thought it was a girl whose hair morphed into an Ekans. I'm just blind like that.
Yeah, I wanted to make it a little clearer. Sorry...

Sasha

Smash Journeyman
After Sonic Up-B's and another player is edgehogging, he can jump off their head (by pressing the jump button) to prevent being edgehogged.

I'm fairly certain that this works with a few other recoveries.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Any recovery that doesn't put you in freefall works like that. Basically, as long as you're not in freefall, you can footstool someone ledgehogging you.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
It's them weird pokepeoples lolz.

Another thing that should be common knowledge is stage picks. You can TECHNICALLY pick a stage that isn't in the list, even a custom one according to most rulesets (including the SBR's iirc), but both you and your opponent have to consent to it, and yes, there have been some finals matches on custom stages before:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhLpLIFkeB4&feature=player_embedded

.Marik

is a social misfit
Yoshi can Down B on the ledge of Yoshi's Island and it auto-cancels the landing animation, and this can lead to unexpected setups and mindgames on behalf of the Yoshi player.

Zeruel21

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I suck at wording like that. Thanks for your simplification and clarification. Sorry I came across as rude and such.
It's fine, I'd be a little miffed if someone seemed to just ignored me and post the same thing.

For new things:
CPUs appear to repeatedly try to use their recoveries when they have to recover, even if it isn't possible. I found this through a PSA that allows for a secondary function for an Up B after it has been used. The CPU kept using that part of the move while they fell, even though it would do nothing.

Mario's Fsmash can be tilted. Honestly, I never knew...

Blackrider213

Smash Apprentice
For new things:
CPUs appear to repeatedly try to use their recoveries when they have to recover, even if it isn't possible. I found this through a PSA that allows for a secondary function for an Up B after it has been used. The CPU kept using that part of the move while they fell, even though it would do nothing.
I think this is also noticeable when you gimp a CPU Pit when it's using Wings of Icarus. It'll try to use Up B again, but instead it will use Side B. I can understand that it's trying to use Up B again like it can with every other character, though the reasons why it uses Side B confuses me though. Is there some kind of weird reading of data glitch or some kind of technical issue that causes an Up B to be read as Side B? Or is Up B and Side B read as like the same kind of input though Up is higher priority? I feel like I'm rambling, especially when I have no kind of computer programming experience what so ever.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Or if you have a hacked version on Ivysaur doesn't have freefall after its UpB, or if simply manage to let Jiggs out of all of her jumps and she begin trying recover with SideB's.
It looks so silly seeing them trying recover when you know they won't reach it...

btw, CPU's AI actually knows a lot about using items correctly. =P

Zeruel21

Smash Journeyman
Samus' Super Missile and fully charged beam travel the same distance in about the same time.

On stages with hazards or moving parts, a CPUs' basic instinct when near the end of the stage or offstage is to move towards the center. On other stages, they simply move towards the nearest edge while recovering.

On further experimentation, CPUs input many commands multiple times, from basic attacks to recoveries. They don't seem to recognize helplessness or attacking as states where they can't take action, as seen if you hack to allow any move to be used at any time. They'll be trying to dair you while they use their recovery.

jorgen aune

Smash Cadet
After Ganons Gerudo many tries to hit with a dtilt to rack up damage, but allmost everyone is able to escape it if fast enough. Many chars tough, will not be able to escape a jab just avter the Gerudo, Ness and Link for example. not much usefull info at all tough xD

jorgen aune

Smash Cadet
when an enemy is on the FD platform, Sonic can jump under the FD platform and spam neutral B to stall, as he is trying to reach his foe right above

Wulfy07

Smash Apprentice
Olimar's fire pikmin can go through Nayru's love. (ie, not be reflected)

TP

Smash Master
After Ganons Gerudo many tries to hit with a dtilt to rack up damage, but allmost everyone is able to escape it if fast enough. Many chars tough, will not be able to escape a jab just avter the Gerudo, Ness and Link for example. not much usefull info at all tough xD
Please do some research before posting. 27 characters have NOTHING they can do to avoid Dtilt after a choke. Only 12 can escape, not "allmost everyone." Jab is only guaranteed on 19 characters. Also, Ftilt is guaranteed on 16 and Dash Attack on around 15.

:034:

Blackrider213

Smash Apprentice
Forgot if this was said or not, but Pit is the only character who can potentially shield "laser" attacks such as Samus' final smash, Taboo's "laser" attack, and Duon's "laser" attack (pink side).

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
I think this is also noticeable when you gimp a CPU Pit when it's using Wings of Icarus. It'll try to use Up B again, but instead it will use Side B. I can understand that it's trying to use Up B again like it can with every other character, though the reasons why it uses Side B confuses me though. Is there some kind of weird reading of data glitch or some kind of technical issue that causes an Up B to be read as Side B? Or is Up B and Side B read as like the same kind of input though Up is higher priority? I feel like I'm rambling, especially when I have no kind of computer programming experience what so ever.
With Pit, once you hit Wings of Icarus, if you're pushing the stick slightly in either direction and press B it will read it as Angel Ring. I do this all the time when I get WoI'd, because what else are you going to d-

I just remembered you can still control Pit's arrows after death. I'm going to start shooting arrows when I get hit out of WoI and go for a few extra damage.

shadyf0o

Smash Journeyman
That reminds me. Captain Falcon will suicide if he attempts to dive underwater with jump to downB on Pirate Ship. He just goes too far down.

The characters that can dive under the pirate ship rudder are Ganondorf(downB), Falcon(downb), Game and Watch(dair), Pikachu(upB), Sonic(dair), ZSS(dair), Sheik(dair), ICs(dair), and Yoshi(downB) iirc. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Wario can too if he bites someone, I guess.

They can also dive under that big rock when it appears and the ship crashes into it. It's actually hollow. If you dive under it, you can actually jump up while inside it and attack people on the rock. If you watch a GnW fight on Pirate Ship, you'll usually see them going under the rock whenever possible.
You are wrong. Falcon can do it. I'm watching my Falcon under the rudder as I write this.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Falcon can go under as long as he doesn't Dair instantly after jumping out of the water. You just need to wait a bit and he won't kill himself. While I'm at it, you missed Toon. He can also do all of that with his Dair.

Wulfy07

Smash Apprentice
Fox, I love your pic/name.

Also, just to be clear:
Can pit not use WoI again after being knocked out of it? Or am I just reading that incorrectly.

Blackrider213

Smash Apprentice
Actually, Pit can use his Up B if he gets hit. I've had it happen to me before. Just to make it clear, he can only use it again only if he is hit in his start up frames. I don't know the exact number, but it's not many frames. Other than that, you can't use it again.

Top Bottom