• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Colorado Smash - MVG Presents: REVELATION 2 - MIDWEST NATIONAL! MVG QUALIFIER! May 16-17

tsizzinc

Smash Rookie
uhh i'll be in ft collins this weekend, but yeah friday is probably the day i give u ur wii back. if not me dmitriy will. speaking of foco, who is there in norco that want to smash friday night or saturday, i can bring my brother's wii. the colorado smash scene have interesting ppl. i love you guys.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
lolol

So guize

Should I sub Wolf? Cuz I kinda like him, I think? Maybe? I dunno, tho.

I'll be dusting off my Sonic soonish, too. Sadly, ZSS must rest in peace. :(

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
But I mean, for something to practice

Cuz like... I get bored just practicing grab releases/spacing

Marth seems like you pretty much have to play people to learn what spacings are perfect, and when to back off

Marth is good, anyway. I dun need a toptier secondary (though I've been tempted to play ICs on occasion).

Imma check out the Wolf boards. If they're lame, I guess I'll just play Marth+Sonic(+Lucas, but mine is so good it doesn't need to train!)

EDIT: I need money. And a girl. But mainly money. Then again

Money+Girl=nomoney

So I dunno. =/

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
Guys, should I secondary DDD or Olimurr?

Guys, guys! Hey guys! GUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUYSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Hey.

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
mike's is alright, but hard cider is so much better. I haven't tried the woodchuck brand, but I've heard good things.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Second DDD. Your DDD will never get 3 stocked by my Tink. It'll prolly beat it. My MK will beat your D3 but your Wario will beat my MK.

So yeah, DDD probably.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion

I should get drunk and practice

But I has no alcohol

WHY FATE, WHYYYYYYYYYY????

Ohwait, we have that mudslide stuff.

Hrm... stomachache tomorrow for fun today?

I dun think I'm that bored.

But I might be.

Fffffffuuuuuu

EDIT: Maybe just a little buzz is the way to go.

DeliciousDave

Smash Cadet
i think i have bronchitis, i've been having chest pains since monday night now and it goes on and off, and sometimes my neck and upper back will start to hurt
man its always my lungs, since my collapse lung 2 years ago

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
yeah a little, whats with the talk of seconds? stay true to your main! you spent so much time and effort and work into it!
Just for funsies. Cuz I'll get bored practicing just one character. That's just my nature, I suppose. Even if I practice Wolf, there's no guarantee I'll ever play him.

Sonic's a different story. Gotta get into the top 4 Sonic list again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIZ5Js3um44
Random match high =D with a cool combo at the end
Dopeass edgeguarding. I love how he took you with him the first stock.

Get owned, Henry.

EDIT:

i think i have bronchitis, i've been having chest pains since monday night now and it goes on and off, and sometimes my neck and upper back will start to hurt
man its always my lungs, since my collapse lung 2 years ago

That sucks. :(

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
I should probably do more drugs.
You should prolly wait till you've finished developing. :(

Turns out people under like... 18 or so (whenever the standard age is for puberty to finish most of it's shenanigans) have a chance of developing schizophrenia from use of teh marywannaz. It might actually be 20, I dunno. But yeah. It might only be for routine users, though, I dunno.

Either way, be careful!

spiritdragon

Smash Ace
Sorry for being late with this next post but man, for the first time in a while I actually slept more than like 4 hours and it was awesome. Also, I have classes wed/thurs so I can't do stuff during those days nor really reply to stuff until way late, this session is over in 2 weeks though so my class schedule is going to change.

And lol Ferdi.

In the good way though. I really had no idea so much was going on with you; I always kept you as that guy that ***** everyone in everything, but polity shakes your hand and holds the doors open once the controllers down - and really nothing more. You're a cool guy Ferdi. :)

I really haven't done anything serious - no, that's a lie. I really got going in graphic design in high school. As photo editor for the online newspaper, I was in charge of 90% the photos and illustrations. For the year I was heading that department, that website was gorgeous. It's crap now though. :p

http://www.tjjournal.com/index.php?s=manny+perez

I also have my little closed sig shop here on SWF.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=236904
Oh man, this kid is capable of great things. And yea, I may seem like an ******* who's just good at videogames and promotes melee over brawl but I'm deep when it comes down to it.

But really though, there are some impressive stuff you put out, and as a personal request I want you to make me a sig, I'll detail it in your thread.

My schooling career has been nothing short of a fiasco. I had every possible advantage: funding for higher education, stable home life, caring family members, even natural intellect. The only obstacle preventing me from success was myself.

I guess never really understood that school was for me and not the people around me, and when I started getting old enough to think for myself, I quickly rebelled. In order to properly display to what extent I was sabotaging myself... I haven't gone a semester since 6th grade where I did not fail at least one class. If it was possible to fail out of middle school I would have been the first. I think I had three F's at the end of 8th grade, but most likely because of test scores, I was allowed into high school where I promptly did nothing for four years. The only paper I wrote over the entire span of those years was a fiction story which I reused in three different English classes to get three A's.

When I realized that I would be the only person in my family to not graduate from high school for the past who knows how many generations, I was too embarrassed to fail. In the end, I scraped by with a GPA of something around 1.3.

The sick part is I was somehow proud through all this, yet when my grades were in my face, I couldn't bare to look. I was practically mentally ill, or in laments terms, a crazy person.

BUT! (skip here for real question and no boring story)

I'm finally starting to grow up. I've resolved some things and I'm almost ready to pursue something I like. Been going to community college for three semesters now, and although the only class I've really taken half seriously is Japanese, I'm going to move on and finally do something with this piece of **** life. When I finally decide on something to do, and if I'm passionate about said subject, I have no doubt in my mind that I will be very successful.

The moving in idea is cool to me, /approve. Honestly I have not been very accessible as a person (basically a stone wall with a rude attitude) so I'm surprised as well as honored to have been put on that list. Yet, I think I need a bit more time before I can truly commit to something like that. I hope the offer is still there when I'm prepared. Also something like this needs extensive planning; if not very well thought out, I'm positive we would be living back in our homes within two months of moving out.

I can smash tomorrow! I revived my phone from being dead after a week to see you (Kenny) had sent me three different texts about smash. I'm kind of bad with me phone...
I didn't think it was boring at all! It was kinda moving I never knew about your past, but you know what, through it all you went to college and despite really only caring about your Japanese class its something.

Also note that like Mike posted, moving in really needs pretty extensive planning AND you REALLY REALLY need to know and understand your roommates. And I mean REALLY understand your roommates. I know people that did roadtrips with people they thought were good buddies of theirs, but then they ended up HATING each other during/after the trip. You gotta be real careful with this stuff and its also another reason I can add to why I made that post. However, I can safely say our ideals are more or less alike. Good work colorado smash scene.

Finally, yeah Mike you and I both prolly know you're not as approachable as you used to, we both know why we don't really talk much in vent or in smashfests. So lets start over again with a clean ****ing slate, I don't want to dislike people I'm so close with.

well i dont really wanna start my own business, just be an accountant for a major business really, balancing checks and such, or possibly get an accountant job at my dads company, i dont know much right know since im taking my first accountant class this semester, so im learning more and more
Ah ok, seeing more about where you're going with this.

I'm really impressed by Ferdi's passion. It seems if Colorado wanted to make a game company, I'm sure it would be great! I'm not sure if anyone, and I mean anyone...well besides Kenny, if he remembered that is. That I've been living on my own since I was 16, my step mother basically ****ed me over. So with no family, my mother is dead, step mother basically kicked me out cause she could not financially take care of my sister and I. I was not able to finish High School. I've moved 6 times since I was 16, I kept going and trying to finish school. But after many failed attempts, I basically had to put all my efforts into finding a stable income and housing. Now I am very thankful for what I have now, I worked my *** off for these past years. Though as of now, I lost my job, things are going decent. Anyways, back to my schooling... I wanted to do video game design. When Tim mentioned DigiPen, it threw me back! That was the school I wanted to go to when I was younger. However, my interests have changed. I love video editing! I've also been drawing for about half my life, everyone says I should be come a artist. But, I hate my art, I am never satisfied with it. So I found a half way point, between editing and art. I love fashion, art and just the whole attitude of it all. This might freak people out, but I want to be a Hair Stylist. <_<//
The school I want is about 20k, for the whole course. I've already been accepted and all that, but the thign is money. All I can do is build credit, blah blah blah. Yup...that is my plan. Though I don't know how I can contribute to this gaming company idea,...if you have a idea let me know!

Edit: I can smash too!
Holy ****... I don't think I could've lived on my own when I was that age that is crazy. But you know what you're past it, and there is nowhere to go but up.

Yeah I noted your video editing skills when you showed me those maple videos, they were awesome. You might've thought I was just doing nothing when we were watching those but I really analyze ****, like effects you put in, transitions, and even your choice of videos when we were watching those youtube flicks.

I also kinda suspected you were more into the artsy side of life and you wanting to be a video editor, hair stylist, and into fashion is a definite confirmation of that. Man, my barber ALWAYS make me look awesome when I get a cut but I'm way too lazy to use all these hair products except for very very small occasions so usually you guys never see me with crazy hair cause its either short or a small asian fro.

But yeah good luck with what you're doing so far man especially since you're already on your own(well with Vincent but I mean out of the parental case), and just letting you know but you can always do a student loan. I personally have no money to put into college so I took a student loan, and the cool thing about DeVry is that they want all the students to succeed so they are willing to give you 6 months after you graduate to help you find a job and pay the loan off. This is of course if you do graduate and I doubt you'd fail seeing how strongly you feel about this school. So ask about those loans, most likely going to be the best investment you make in your life.

I want to work on game design when I get out of college. I'm getting a math degree and while that places me in some good jobs, every time I imagine my future the only thing that actually sounds like it isn't soul crushing and is actually engaging is game design.

Trouble is, I have no experience at all. I mean, I've thought about game balance and how to improve games A LOT, but other than that, no programming, no graphic design.

I need something future-related to do this summer. I propose we do a summer collaboration and make a small game. Nothing to sell or anything, but something that would get us into a god **** game company and get our foot in the door.

Hell just look at indie developers. They make **** that's good and most indie companies are like 3 people in a basement. We can do that.

In the meantime I will do some solo projects trying to get a handle on how to build a game from the ground up. I.E. level designing for some of my favorite games, mods, etc.
Yea man videogames are just too cool. Starting a project does sound interesting and could shape up to be a really awesome summer project.

Hmmm. We could probably do that. The game idea Tony and I made is a fighter, somewhat of an in-between of smash and regular 2df games. We've got the engine ideas down for the most part, and character bases, so we'd just need to make an engine, art, music, then balance it.

A pretty big chunk of work for a summer, but less than starting an idea with no brainstorming behind it.
Neat, if you're willing or already have the idea down shoot me a PM on it or something.

So I guess I'll post a bit about myself, even though I'm technically not in Colorado right now.

I'm currently at St. Olaf in Minnesota majoring in Physics and Music. It's funny, I've always felt like I've know exactly what I've wanted to do, and so far in college that is being reflected. I'm really enjoying both of my majors, although realistically I'll have to pick one before I graduate to pursue, but that is in a looong time. I've never really thought about going into game design, although I do see that I could be a music developer for a game company in the future. It's hard to say though. I'm sure I'll figure out what I want to do by the time of graduation.

I've also always expected the best from myself, even if it is fairly unrealistic. I guess in that way I'm an optimist, although I try to be realistic as well. In high school I ran into problems of doing too many things and expecting to do well in everything I tried. Too unrealistic. My junior year, I tried to do varsity tennis and prepare for a major piano competition, resulting in about 5-6 hours of practice a day all on top of IB classes. Inevitably, my grades dipped which is probably why I got wait listed at stanford and ultimately denied. Oh well. Maybe I'll go there for grad school.

As far as everyone goes, definitely follow your dreams. Try to imagine yourself doing what you love doing most as a job everyday, and test if you can see yourself doing it for a lifetime. Then realize the steps you must take to get there, how much work you must put in, and if it is worth it. If you are not swayed, GO FOR IT. At least that is my advise.

@Ferdi: awesome idea for a post, it's been fun learning about people through their posts.
Yea college really opens up your mind to what you're going to do, maybe a little too much, cause I want to do everything but my goal is back to basic videogaming. I remember you talking about tennis and we've seen you play that piano, very cool, I've done tennis for one year and IB throughout most of high school but I just suck at commitments.

I apologies that this is a bit late. In response to Ferdi's post, here's Z's story:

I've always wanted to do something in game design ever since I was a wee child. I remember Mother getting me a gameboy when I was 3 because she wanted me to be entertained while we were moving from Denver down to Albuquerque. That pretty much got me hooked on games.

Time goes on, and I graduate from high school, 3.8 GPA, no honors classes, and about $20,000 in scholarships for DU. Went to DU in pursuit of their new Game Development program. Back then I wasn't much in tune with college. No, I didn't party every weekend or the like; I just didn't try. I had no motivation. Ok that's a lie, I had one motivation: The girlfriend. But it turned out to be really bad. I ended up quitting college to help her finish high school because she was practically failing every class, and I wanted to see her succeed. This fell through as well because I caught her cheating on me a month after I dropped out.

I pursued DU the next year. First semester went smoothly. Second semester... I remember someone pissing me off and instead of punching them in the face, I did a 180 and punched the wall behind. It still got the message across because they ran away with their tail between their legs. This, however, led to me being forced to take a mandatory "medical leave". DU actually called me a Catalyst of Destruction because of the incident. Personally, I believe they were too harsh because there are others who are drinking illegally. Ok, that's a weak argument. But knowing so many people who got caught for hardcore drugs and smoking in their room only got a slap on the wrist. Even a person who was piss drunk and peed on a friend's door just got a friendly warning. What. The. ****. Needless to say, I left. For good.

Third year of college, just didn't try...

Now the forth and current. Got a lot of motivation to actually complete college, and still pursing the same degree. It's different from DU's in that it also stresses a business aspect to it, which is amazing mind you. Grant it I did fail the first semester this year because I was not inspired or motivated in any way... I actually made a promise to the Dean of LAS that I will make a 2.5 GPA, or be expelled forever. 2.5 isn't that hard to obtain imo; I just gotta actually try now.

Wait... This was more of a life story than explaining what I'm in for...

Now for answering Ferdi's question: My aspirations right now is to actually make a company when I graduate, code ideas alongside a team, and sell them off to companies. Ultimately, I want to make an independent game company with many friends to create independent games, something along the lines of Rampart Games. I keep up with Indie Games so I can keep up with the movement. That is my aspiration.
Harsh man, you helped her out and everything and she cheated on you? And all that bs with people in general. And as unfortunate as that is, its just real life, you move on, and its good to hear you're really on track now in your 4th year.

You know, all game companies have to start somewhere. And you can get by without being at the head of it all, Keiji Inafune aka father of megaman started simply as a character designer, now he's CEO of capcom.

-----------------------

First of all I would like to say, thank you. Thanks to everyone who posted their goals and future careers as well as telling everyone how you got to that point. It takes guts and determination to really get that across and come to the present.

Second of all and getting down to it. Everyone can contribute to CO smash videogame project and it's something to think about down the road.

Finally, keep at it guys, I am a firm believer that you guys can do anything when you pool your resources and really stick to it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GopzpFJm4LQ

Steam

Smash Hero
If I did drugs I'd be the unlucky guy who gets caught somehow the first time I tried them, and If I got caught My life would be between my room and my school and my room would have no door and be empty save a bed.

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
This is actually the song I listen to when I need a pick me up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O48ZyGF2rEg

I feel like I've learned a good deal about people I consider friends from these posts, so I'm very thankful to you all for writing them. It's my family's thing that friends are the most important thing in your life, and it makes me realize how little I've learned about the ones I call that. I'm glad that changed.

As for the game idea, I'll see if Tony can find the book we wrote down the engine/characters in. If so, I'll PM details to everyone who wants to help, even if it's just ideas or testing. If not, then I'll see about organizing a smashfest with a focus on brainstorming.

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
This is actually the song I listen to when I need a pick me up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O48ZyGF2rEg

I feel like I've learned a good deal about people I consider friends from these posts, so I'm very thankful to you all for writing them. It's my family's thing that friends are the most important thing in your life, and it makes me realize how little I've learned about the ones I call that. I'm glad that changed.

As for the game idea, I'll see if Tony can find the book we wrote down the engine/characters in. If so, I'll PM details to everyone who wants to help, even if it's just ideas or testing. If not, then I'll see about organizing a smashfest with a focus on brainstorming.
I agree and support this statement. Our family has always emphasized on friends.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Jamaal.

Go away.

And DAVE. Use the image link I gave you - don't RESAVE an animated gif. Now it's Artifact Central. :mad::mad::mad:

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
I'll comment on all the feelgood stuff later. Imma sleep in a sec, tho, so Imma keep this short.

Interesting. Sounds like a study my mom would make up :p
I'm just sayin', look into it. It was the only downside to an otherwise pro-pot special that they aired on Discovery or some ****. Always helps to research stuff you put into your body, especially stuff that effects receptors in your brain/body. I just dun wanna hafta push invisible men offa you during tournament matches, is all.

MK.II

Smash Rookie
I'm not usually a talker, but I guess I could give this a shot.

For the most part, during my younger age I wanted most to be an engineer of car bodies for a formula one team. I quickly learned through basic engineering courses that it was not for me, and I scratched that. After that whole experience I wasn't left with much desire for any trade in particular, but it was around this time that I started to write often and get into music. Most of my writings are of introspective nature, but for the latter portion: essays of political nature, philosophical writings, rough screenplays, and structure for concept albums. Overall I could say I've written over 500-600 pages collectively of all the aforementioned, and have the rough musical concept for an album (entirely instrumental with inferred meaning, whatever that may be). Also I am in a fairly successful local band characterized by many to sound like Explosions in the Sky and Godspeed! You Black Emperor. Roughly it has been explained to be post rock, indie, which is a little odd I suppose.

I also partake in photography. I stage abstract pictures with high emphasis on lighting and color spectrum, though still stay true to the abstract essence. This is more on the side of everything else though.

In the end, I plan on going to college to study philosophy as my major, and possibly physics going more in the direction of quantum if time and money allows. Turns out though, I'll be moving to Virginia by the end of summer to pursue these studies along with fully fleshing out my musical ideas.

I guess that's roughly it?

Edit: ****, after being sick for three days, I forgot I have a test in a few hours. Time to stay up aaaaaaaaallllll night.

YangFuShang

Smash Apprentice
If I did drugs I'd be the unlucky guy who gets caught somehow the first time I tried them, and If I got caught My life would be between my room and my school and my room would have no door and be empty save a bed.
you have to be really, and i mean really stupid to get ****ing caught. I forgot to ask you Tim, what exactly was it like to be a video game tester for nintendo, i've always thought about trying that someday if i ever got the chance. What was a typical day as a video game tester, did u have to write formal reports ? how were the hours? what were your co-workers like?

Also roman I had no idea about your situation and I'm glad you were able to make it through this far and if you were able to make it this far, I have faith you can go beyond. Whenever i watch videos i also analyze how much effort and stuff like ferdi said transitions etc gets put in to it because i also like video editing because i did alot of it in highschool and i also have sony vegas that i play around with sometimes.

yes and i also agree deciding to move in takes lots of planning.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Jamaal just makes me happy when he posts.

Now that being a ****** is cool here, I love all you guys. I didn't post my career aspirations because I'm not too confident on them at this point, but I really enjoyed reading all of yours. Getting so into Brawl was the best choice in my life so far because it let me meet all of you.

Moblin

Smash Apprentice
Lol jamaal, I love our teamwork when there was only Meno left!

I'm pretty much the same as what Dylan said. I don't wanna get into my goals because I don't really have any, I honestly have no idea what I'm going to do in college, and I'm basically failing school atm. But it was really cool reading all of these.

And swing dancing is hard

Top Bottom