• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Colorado Smash - MVG Presents: REVELATION 2 - MIDWEST NATIONAL! MVG QUALIFIER! May 16-17

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I feel the green movement overall is winning. So I think we're good.

I'm gonna be a vegetarian! That's sustainable!

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
i guess i should've been less blatant with my trolling, like comparing the earth to the brawl community and how we're both gonna wait to try and fix the problem until it's already too late.

Tranzworld

Smash Apprentice
I'm gonna be a vegetarian! That's sustainable!
The amount of food you consume is ~twice as much as an omnivore

@Arizen:

I'll generalize health care all I want. It's the ****ing truth. Until it's impossible for someone to get in their car, go down to mcdonalds, and get whatever amount of food they want for a reasonable price, nobody is going to give two ****s about their health or nutrition because LOLSUSTAINABLEFOOD or whatever bull**** it is the fast food companies feed us nowdays.

America has SHOWN that's it not ready for health care for this reason.

Honestly I should probably just shut the **** up and stop arguing but i think this is fun so w/e

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
You're too pessimistic about ^this. Keep in mind people were throwing trash out of their cars before Lady Bird Jonson's 'beautifying America'. Now recycling's a law, and in many places composting too. And stop making me act like an optimist, I feel dirty.
Forgive me, as im not really concerned about the environment and don't know that much...
But having a clean environment is a group effort, and theirs no way everyones gonna cooperate. Although theres a law about recycling, ALOT of people still break it. I dunno it just feels like unless everyone's forced to do environmentally friendly things they won't. People will still smoke, litter, use gas guzzling cars unless all that stuff is magically gone.

Just my 2 cents. Actually that was pretty half ***** soooo 1 cent? :V

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah well

MK

IS

BROKEN.

trees are cool though.
especially since squirrels live in them.
i could use some target practice.

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
Yeah... I'll just PM you my thoughts Dylan, instead of allowing for people to pick apart my view and troll.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Did I ever tell you 'bout my buddy Keith? This one time he decided to build a tree house, but he wasn't very good at building houses so he decided to just cut down a tree and put it IN a house. It kinda backfired though and it fell ON his house. He got pinned under it too. He had to like sit there for an hour while medics cut through the tree cause they couldn't just move it. But now he has a horizontal tree house, so that's pretty cool I guess.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
That story was compelling and heart warming at the same time. :c
-grabs a tissue-

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
It might be twice as much food, but I thought a vegetarian diet takes 1/20th of the energy it takes to produce a omnivoric diet.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
2:30.AM playing blazblue.

All I gotta say is I hate jin.
Ice cars....THEY HAUNT MY DREAMS MAN!

Oh also im gonna make a complication of wtf moments in blazblue soon. Seriously. Sooo much weird crap happens everytime I play. ._____.

Continue talking about uh...trees. I like the ones with leafs. :3

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Super Mario World Music Video

If you watch (or watched) anime, you'll recognize some of the tunes in here.

@Tony - I'll begin working on the matches uploading tomorrow. Been super busy making my project for my multimedia class.
Is cool, I'm in no rush.

That link is soooooooo old.

Also, I have the week after thanksgiving off, so we should have a tourney for BB, SSBM, and maaaaaaaybe Brawl/LoL(1v1). Lemme know what you guys think. A gathering is also acceptable.

2:30.AM playing blazblue.

All I gotta say is I hate jin.
Ice cars....THEY HAUNT MY DREAMS MAN!

Oh also im gonna make a complication of wtf moments in blazblue soon. Seriously. Sooo much weird crap happens everytime I play. ._____.

Continue talking about uh...trees. I like the ones with leafs. :3
You on PSN or XBL?

Just block the ice car. It's unsafe on block/instant block.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
And...this is when I stop taking your points seriously >:/

Firstly, you just made up a number. Twice as much is ridiculous. You aren't taking into account the food that goes into the animals you eat. If you didn't realize that, you don't understand the importance of vegetarianism on sustainability. If you do realize that, you were being purposely misleading.

And Dan, post them here!!! It's making CO active!

Also MK needs to be banned. It's obvious he's causing global warming with his constant drilling. With Meta out of the picture, tornadoes would decrease tenfold.

Tranzworld

Smash Apprentice
And...this is when I stop taking your points seriously >:/

Firstly, you just made up a number. Twice as much is ridiculous.

And this is when you realize I wrote a 10 page paper about this last year for my composition class.

Taking into the fact that ALL meat contains every one of the essential amino acids needed to run our body (including copius amounts of the ones we need most), whereas vegeterians have to eat a wide variety of foods in order to get said amino acids, where does all this food come from?

A majority of the produced crops are nothing more than corn. That's all that's fed to the livestock (mostly) as opposed to live grazing and this is how most of our meat is consumed (Are you happy now? I stopped 'using' numbers but would be HAPPY to go find my paper and cite this **** even if you wouldn't be able to see it because i used our Libraries online resources).

So basically, you're talking about a complete ROTATION of all of americas crops into other edible foods (which, keep in mind, the land is probably too harsh due to the genetic alterations made to this corn). Then, additionally, we're talking a distribution of all of this new food to keep us healthy.

Vegetarianism worked in older times because of localization and the fact that the world population NEVER exceeded more than maybe 10,000,000 (and then the Bubonic plague hit wiping out ~5-6,000,000 if i remember correctly, who knows, just know that 90% of the people with Type B blood were killed.)

It is not a sustainable or viable plan to have everyone in the United States become vegeterian. There's not enough space, not enough manpower, and once again, NOT ENOUGH WANT IN THE HUMAN MIND.

Yes, I did make up the twice as much number, I don't remember the exact amount, but the differential amount is miniscule, but i apologize for making up number none-the-less

Also, I don't once again want to go off on another tangent, but how about you start sharing some of your own opinions/facts instead of just writing off everything I say? Would make this a whole lot more interesting.

It might be twice as much food, but I thought a vegetarian diet takes 1/20th of the energy it takes to produce a omnivoric diet.
Food != Energy though. Otherwise you're right.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
You're getting super intense about this and stop using hidden text. I can't read in on my iPod.

Main point is, it is a FACT that vegetarianism is more sustainable than meat. If you would like to explain further why you disagree I'd be happy to read it, but I don't even feel the need to defend vegetarianisms sustainability as its pretty self explanatory.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
When your points hinge on meat being more sustainable, it's like, ...wat.

Do you have any non-restricted resources?

Ryyudo

Smash Rookie
You're getting super intense about this and stop using hidden text. I can't read in on my iPod.

Main point is, it is a FACT that vegetarianism is more sustainable than meat. If you would like to explain further why you disagree I'd be happy to read it, but I don't even feel the need to defend vegetarianisms sustainability as its pretty self explanatory.
I don't know about the "self-explanatory" sustainability of vegetarianism. Mind indulging me? :)

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Oh for sure Jamjam.
I can give you a better explanation when I can get to my computer, but for now here's the basics.
Let's use cows. We usually eat a cow when it's at the prime of it's life. Not sure exactly when, but by this time it has consumed SIGNIFICANTLY more food than it will provide. The land and effort that was used to grow the crops it eats could much easier be used to grow soybeans and other legumes, providing the same nutritional value without the negative impact.
Also it's one less kill :)

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Are your parents re-enacting their honeymoon, Ferdi?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't soy produce or encourage the production of estrogen/hormones similar to it? Very small thing, but yeah.

And if you've ever actually run your own farm, you know that the food it takes to feed a cow for its entire life costs nowhere near how much you make off one cow. Especially with corn. You sow it once, then just take and use the crops to keep perpetuating the harvest. And corn is cheaper than dirt (quite literally), especially in that aspect. I'm fairly certain that if it cost more to raise cattle for food than their worth, the slaughter shops would be out of business by now.

Now, while it may be true that cows consume more food than they provide, the quality of the food is much better. It provides more nutrients, is more filling, and (for me, at least) much tastier. You can't really sustain yourself on just corn for a week. I mean, you ~probably~ could, simply off the fact that humans don't really die of malnutrition in a week. But your energy levels would be really low (in my experience, anyway), in conjunction with just getting sick of corn (purely preferential). I've gone a month with a 3/4 meat diet (with the other 1/4 being everything else, mainly carbs) and noticed some pretty good results. I wouldn't advocate it as a lifetime diet because we really do need all the other groups, but any one type of meat that is commonly consumed provides more than almost any plant (soy and hemp being the two I can think of off the top of my head, but I could just be blowing smoke).

tl;dr- Corn is cheaper than cow, cow provides more nutrients than the lifetime's worth of corn would. Cow is cheaper and more efficient than corn. You could dedicate more space to farming a bunch of plants, or you could do what's been done for forever. At this point in time, sustaining the omnivore diet is more practical. Also, tasty.

I would accept if we stopped eating cows and pork in favor of fish, but importing fish to landlocked areas is pricey and gay. Also, I love bacon and steak. :3

I'm not really paying attention to my post right now, though, so I might be full of ****. Feel free to correct me if so. Like so many of my other "arguments", however, I'm likely to stop talking about it as soon as I lose interest. So don't get too involved in my part of the discussion, cuz I might not substantiate any of my claims. :D!

Top Bottom