• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Colorado Smash - MVG Presents: REVELATION 2 - MIDWEST NATIONAL! MVG QUALIFIER! May 16-17

Tranzworld

Smash Apprentice
In general?

It's theoretically possible, but couldn't ever be achieved. There's too much co-operation required between countries and a need to reduce CO2 admissions that's not currently known. Additionally, there's a large gap between the countries that are capable of being environmentalist and the countries WILLING to be environmentalist.

Just a pipe dream at the end of the day, also it's mainly a backlash against the big business style of thinking, but at the end of the day more money > Better environment to them, so it'll probably never happen.

God **** I am such a pessimist.

Moblin

Smash Apprentice
My dad's an environmental lawyer. I basically was brought up to not litter. Also I get a freeeeeeee Earth day T-shirt every year from the DoJ.

Bees!

Smash Ace
Why is that so funny?
It shouldn't be yet it is...
oh well time for a new siggy...

Also trying to learn Bang's Theme on guitar.
****s going to be ****** once I get it down!

Rizen

Smash Legend
Could everybody please post their views on environmentalism in general?
If you can blow a pinwheel, you're using wind power. If you make a pinwheel move by running water over it, that's hydroelectric power. If the sun warms a surface- solar power. If you locate and mine materials out of the ground, transport them safely, burn (or split atoms for nuclear) them to make steam, and the steam spins the pinwheel, then regulate greenhouse gas emotions, nuclear materials with 4.5 billion year half-lives, etc, and account for cost increases of controlled commodities- (provided there are no accidents) you have non-renewable energy.
Throwing trash at squirrels is fun.
Crabbapples too.

MK.II

Smash Rookie
Tony, Tim:

I left my burrito at your house. I hope that Charlie somehow finds it and eats it.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
I didn't need it explained to me lol
I just want to know everybody's views on it. And this point, and I completely blame college, I'm a strong believer in deep ecology. I believe that the problem we've created can only be solved by a radical technological fix or a complete localization of communities. The second one is ridiculously doable... if everybody cooperated...So that's not too likely. We are making greener technologies everyday, but the production of such technologies only adds to the problem. It's not about new ways of recycling or conserving, but a radical reduction in waste which can be done with the current technology available, at least for now.

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
Awesome meetup last night, Tim and Tony. Was fun getting games in and utterly getting ***** by both of you in both Melee and BlazBlue.

And now the highlights of the night, or rather the only highlight that's worth mentioning:
Bang's 5A is too good

Tranzworld

Smash Apprentice
I didn't need it explained to me lol
I just want to know everybody's views on it. And this point, and I completely blame college, I'm a strong believer in deep ecology.
welcome to all liberal schools.

I believe that the problem we've created can only be solved by a radical technological fix or a complete localization of communities.
Somewhat correct, both are ridiculously unachievable. You could also in theory move people to other planets or to live in space.

The second one is ridiculously doable...
No it isn't. There isn't anywhere near enough livable space on the earth.

if everybody cooperated...
lol

So that's not too likely.
Pretty much this.

We are making greener technologies everyday, but the production of such technologies only adds to the problem.
Driving theme of psychology. Man will always seek to better himself.

It's not about new ways of recycling or conserving, but a radical reduction in waste which can't be done with the current technology available, at least for now.
Pretty much sums up my thoughts on the issue. Besides, until people start putting money into bio-batteries (which are pretty far advanced) clean energy is a long way off.

A lot of people are noobs then
So half the japanese pros that showed up to the loketest are noobs then? :/

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Have you taken any environmental sciences? I just found it weird when you used the term "somewhat correct" on the foundation of current environmental problem solving. It is, in fact, completely correct that those are the two options.

Tranzworld

Smash Apprentice
Have you taken any environmental sciences? I just found it weird when you used the term "somewhat correct" on the foundation of current environmental problem solving. It is, in fact, completely correct that those are the two options.
No, this is where you're wrong. There are hundreds of thousands of viable ways to cut down on environmental waste, including, but not limited to:

1) Reduction of mass production of food and other textile industries
2) Decrease in consumption of textile goods
3) Increase of rural life (which you mentioned)
4) Moving of various industries to space /another planet
5) PEOPLE STOP BEING ********.

EDIT:

and in case you do care, i've taken 3 courses in environmental science.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
I don't know why you keep bringing up space...that's not a real option. And the other options you mentioned make people do things. On average, people aren't willing to put out much change even if they're environmentally conscious. This is why the technological fix, though unlikely, is the only possible option. And yeah, there are thousands of ways to help, but I'm not talking small contributions.

Tranzworld

Smash Apprentice
I don't know why you keep bringing up space...that's not a real option. And the other options you mentioned make people do things. On average, people aren't willing to put out much change even if they're environmentally conscious. This is why the technological fix, though unlikely, is the only possible option. And yeah, there are thousands of ways to help, but I'm not talking small contributions.
Telling people to give up technology is like asking someone to chop off their right arm.

Unfortunately for us, we live in a society where technology is REQUIRED for the daily maintaining of our lives. No matter how much you want to admit that, there's no way to mass produce the amount of food and even the amount of transportation necessary to convert to a technologically hindered society.

Space is an extremely viable option, my dad works for Lockheed Martin, if the government would
ACTUALLY fund something
instead of constantly starving many of the various programs to aid the environment in money.

Also just throwing this out there - people in America can't even care about their health, and you expect them to even consider the environment?

Rizen

Smash Legend
Why are we talking about this here?
Pretty much sums up my thoughts on the issue. Besides, until people start putting money into bio-batteries (which are pretty far advanced) clean energy is a long way off.
Spin a turbine and the rest is the same for most energies.
People have used the sun, water, geothermal, and wind energy loooooooog before major non-renewable energy was in practice. I agree more people should recycles hazardous materials like batteries and find alternatives.
No, this is where you're wrong. There are hundreds of thousands of viable ways to cut down on environmental waste, including, but not limited to:

1) Reduction of mass production of food and other textile industries
2) Decrease in consumption of textile goods
3) Increase of rural life (which you mentioned)
4) Moving of various industries to space /another planet
5) PEOPLE STOP BEING ********.
^:)
On average, people aren't willing to put out much change even if they're environmentally conscious. This is why the technological fix, though unlikely, is the only possible option. And yeah, there are thousands of ways to help, but I'm not talking small contributions.
You're too pessimistic about ^this. Keep in mind people were throwing trash out of their cars before Lady Bird Jonson's 'beautifying America'. Now recycling's a law, and in many places composting too. And stop making me act like an optimist, I feel dirty.
Telling people to give up technology is like asking someone to chop off their right arm.

Unfortunately for us, we live in a society where technology is REQUIRED for the daily maintaining of our lives. No matter how much you want to admit that, there's no way to mass produce the amount of food and even the amount of transportation necessary to convert to a technologically hindered society.
^People don't like paying $4.00 a gallon for gas either. Why tell people to give up technology anyway?
Space is an extremely viable option, my dad works for Lockheed Martin, if the government would
ACTUALLY fund something
instead of constantly starving many of the various programs to aid the environment in money.

Also just throwing this out there - people in America can't even care about their health, and you expect them to even consider the environment?
Agree with
ACTUALLY fund something
. I haven't looked into space energy options yet.

America's health is a whole other issue- volatile at that, so focus on the environment for this.
Don't generalize people.

There are debate threads for this:
http://www.smashboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23
http://allisbrawl.com/forum/forum.aspx?fid=154

Anything I say or feel in a debate I leave with that thread.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
No no no, this is ridiculous. If you legitimately believe funding space exploration needs to be funded for the sake of maintaining Earth you need to rethink a lot of stuff. Read Ishmael if any of you have the time. Human expansion is the main problem. Where other species cut back on numbers when their population grows out of control, humans seek to find new ways of expanding. We need to find out how to maintain ourselves with what we have.

And really Matt, what else do we have to talk about? This is a fine topic.

Top Bottom