• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charge Beam DI: A New AT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OverlordCrono

Smash Cadet
So I was playing around with Samus in an offline Free For All with some casual players, and we picked Battlefield. I charged up the beam fully to start off the match. A while later into the round, someone was smashed upward, so I did a quick short hop into the air from the left platform, and fired the beam in attempt to steal the KO. Now here's where something unusual happened.

When I fired, the beam did not fly through its regular, straight path. Instead, it made a smooth curve upwards into a diagonal direction. Needless to say, I missed.

Unfortunately, the others were loudly talking and yelling about WTF just happened, so I cannot remember the inputs I may have done to accomplish it. Back home, I'm trying over and over to recreate what started that curve motion with her Charge Beam. The factors I do remember about it:

• I had fired it in the air from a short hop.
  • There were no items on to trigger that reaction.
  • It was on Battlefield, where I hopped from a platform.
  • I was constantly moving around beforehand, so I had mashed the motions on the controller in a hurry, without much thought.

I decided to post it here, and see if the Samus boards could help with this. I didn't see anything similar listed on the stickies, so I don't think this has been found before.

EDIT: The diagram I made of what it looks like.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
There needs to be more examples of this before we can make a judgement. Try and do it again.

spudzalot

Smash Journeyman
Are you sure you didnt just hit someone's shield and the blast just bounced off diagonally? That is the only thing I can think of...

OverlordCrono

Smash Cadet
he said the foe jumped. Unless i read it wrong.
Yes, he (A Wario, if it makes any difference) was hit by an Up-Smash and knocked above the stage, where I fired. The other two were on the ground, so nobody shielded the the Beam. And it was a smooth curve motion, not like if it was reflected or anything.

I'm going to keep trying to trigger it again, I'll post what happened when/if I get it.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Who were your opponents? (aside from the Wario of course) There are plenty of projectiles and other crap, like D3's suction, that can create some pretty bizarre hitbox effects.

OverlordCrono

Smash Cadet
Who were your opponents? (aside from the Wario of course) There are plenty of projectiles and other crap, like D3's suction, that can create some pretty bizarre hitbox effects.
The other two were a Marth and a Kirby respectively. They were both on the ground when I fired and such, so I doubt it had anything to do with them.

DeadDisco

Smash Cadet
This seems interesting. If a new tech pops up for Samus, especially if it's involving the path of a charge shot, then alot of Samus players will benefit from it. I'll try later on, it could be the same way of angling a F-Smash or F-tilt. Jiggs as I know of, can angle her Pound attack, so it wouldn't be a complete surprise I guess. C.Falcon and Ganon reverse their punches. Who else can angle their specials?

EDIT: Failed to make the beam change any direction.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
Dear god, if this discovery is found for Samus, that would just spell mind game, and as if she had enough. The old z-air set-ups? Replace sh z-air with curve shot! lol

Alas, I'm getting my hopes up for probably nothiing.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I doubt this is a new advanced technique. If there was a way to alter Samus' Charge Shot, it would've been discovered a long time ago. The fun thing is, you'll have to prove the skeptics wrong.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I doubt this is a new advanced technique. If there was a way to alter Samus' Charge Shot, it would've been discovered a long time ago. The fun thing is, you'll have to prove the skeptics wrong.
Hey, as dumb as his idea sounds, dont shoot him down.

OverlordCrono

Smash Cadet
Did you save reply?
It was someone else's Wii, and they didn't think or care much of it after the initial WTF factor, so I do not have a replay.

I want to research this...
the enemy wasn't nearby right? I'll try to figure out what he did.
No, they weren't nearby me when I fired. I'm going to draw a diagram to try and give an image of what happened. I'll post it in a little bit.

was it wavebounced?
From what I actually do remember, I do not think so.

I'm still on this, but so far nothing. I'm going to try messing with the C-Stick and see if it alters anything.

Metatitan

Smash Master
^
its still worth researching into. for example, peach cant glide toss up without the c stick being set to smash (i think). why not put a little research into it?

-edit-
besides who cares if it doesn't work and this just wastes time? samus' metagame isnt advancing ATM and something like this could really really help her

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
Would this be anything like Samus's homing grab from Melee? She could do that grappling thing on stage and make her grab really long. After it extends you hit L or something, and it would home in on the enemy.

OverlordCrono

Smash Cadet
Here's the diagram I made of what it looked like. Forgive my awful artistry.

It's a rough image of how it curved, and the positions of everyone.

Metatitan

Smash Master
Theres no way that wouldve bounced off a shield. Welp, lets do some research people, even if its a dead end what else is there to do? May as well ATTEMPT to improve her metagame with this, if it works.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
^
its still worth researching into. for example, peach cant glide toss up without the c stick being set to smash (i think). why not put a little research into it?
Can anyone glide toss with the C-stck if it isn't set to Smash?

-edit-
besides who cares if it doesn't work and this just wastes time? samus' metagame isnt advancing ATM and something like this could really really help her
"Who cares if it doesn't work?" "Something like this could help Samus."

The two contradict each other.

Metatitan

Smash Master
Can anyone glide toss with the C-stck if it isn't set to Smash?

"Who cares if it doesn't work?" "Something like this could help Samus."

The two contradict each other.
1. You can glide toss forward without c stick.
2. They don't really contradict each other. I simply said if it doesn't work, oh well, if it does, it could really help her. Besides her metagame is stale as it is so why not research?

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
This whole "metagame is stale" business is irritating. Finding techs != advancing her metagame. Instead of complaining on how stale her metagame allegedly is and wasting time trying to find a technique that potentially doesn't even exist..

why don't you go to tourneys and play, keep playing, keep trying new things, develop your own style..
a lot of cats seem to lack that these dayz..

Throwback

Smash Lord
Agree with noob that techs !=metagame - but I agree with titan about finding the tech. If it's repeatable, it's another trick in the bag for samus.

I have noticed that a lot of characters can do weird things on the BF platforms, maybe this is related?

Gea

Smash Master
2. They don't really contradict each other. I simply said if it doesn't work, oh well, if it does, it could really help her. Besides her metagame is stale as it is so why not research?
Uhh I play Peach and I can glidetoss up an down using only the control stick and A. It isn't hard.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Okay.

"Who cares if it doesn't work and is a big waste of time? Hey, Samus' meta-game isn't advancing, so something like this could help her."

In other words, it's not going to work. We're wasting our time. Let's try out something that's not going to work. Maybe Samus' meta-game will improve because of this. "This" isn't going to work. There's no proof of it ever occurring. You have one person saying he saw it angle. If this was true, it would've been discovered already. Samus' Charge Shot does not angle. It cannot angle. It's a waste of time.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Okay.

"Who cares if it doesn't work and is a big waste of time? Hey, Samus' meta-game isn't advancing, so something like this could help her."

In other words, it's not going to work. We're wasting our time. Let's try out something that's not going to work. Maybe Samus' meta-game will improve because of this. "This" isn't going to work. There's no proof of it ever occurring. You have one person saying he saw it angle. If this was true, it would've been discovered already. Samus' Charge Shot does not angle. It cannot angle. It's a waste of time.
You don't know that for certain. It could be a frame-specific input, and I know for a fact that I don't hit anything other than B while I'm releasing a charge shot. It could be worth looking into, provided it's real.

Heh. I just imagined Samus spamming charge shots like Pit spams arrows. PEW PEW PEW!

Crystanium

Smash Hero
You don't know that for certain. It could be a frame-specific input, and I know for a fact that I don't hit anything other than B while I'm releasing a charge shot. It could be worth looking into, provided it's real.

Heh. I just imagined Samus spamming charge shots like Pit spams arrows. PEW PEW PEW!
It's all speculation right now. I'm going to remain certain that it's not true, and that it will never be done again, if it was ever done in the first place.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Dryn is quite the party pooper, isn't he...

What a lamer.

I'll try messing around and see if I can find anything about this.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
I'm going to start fooling around with possible input combinations at 1/4 speed in Training Mode. I'll let you guys know if I find anything.

For now, I suggest everyone use Battlefield when testing.

It's all speculation right now. I'm going to remain certain that it's not true, and that it will never be done again, if it was ever done in the first place.
Then go out and test it to prove that it isn't possible, instead of being condescending and dismissive.

I'm going to say this as nicely as I can:

All of your recent posts outside of the social thread have counter-productive to the discussion in all the threads you've posted in. Either follow your own rules and contribute something concrete, say why said person's suggestion won't work in a polite manner, or leave, please. Otherwise, you're just bolstering your post count unnecessarily.

Metatitan

Smash Master
^
FINALLY someone says it
u need to take a chill pill and test it out dryn, even if it doesnt work who cares? at least we tried :p

Alphicans

Smash Hero
This is one of three things that I have all "statified"

1.) Once in a life time glitchey occurrence that will most likely never happen again. 30%
2.) This is actually a legit new AT, and with testing samus's metagame will advance. 10%
3.) This whole thing is a hoax and you're all getting played. 60%

Just saying.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Lol, same thing happened to me... with a Super Missile. Was it a large diagonal angle, or a quite noticable, but still small angle?

OverlordCrono

Smash Cadet

1.) Once in a life time glitchey occurrence that will most likely never happen again. 30%
2.) This is actually a legit new AT, and with testing samus's metagame will advance. 10%

Just saying.
What possible reason would I have for lying? I don't even main Samus. Something happened that could possibly be used to help you guys' Metagame, and I posted here to get help on figuring it out what exactly went on. I know what I saw, and I'm trying everything to get it. This is no prank, I guarantee it.

Lol, same thing happened to me... with a Super Missile. Was it a large diagonal angle, or a quite noticable, but still small angle?
It was a decently noticeable curve, enough to miss a straight on shot. The diagram, as cruddy as it is, demonstrates how it looked. I must also emphasize on that it was a fully charged beam.

I think it might have to do with the C-Stick. I'm changing the settings, to normals to specials to smashes, and see if there's any effect.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

Just saying.
Normally I'd say this, but I remember findind out one of these supposedly "New ATs." I didn't give up on it, got someone to see it, and eventually we found out how it works. Give him a chance. The AT itself sounds very useful, and if found out, would at least be a step in the right direction for the rut that this place is in.

@Dryn, I'm agreeing with Serris on this. You need to calm down. You can't prove this is fake by acting so negative. Show a little common courtesy, at least.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Did it CURVE or did it CHANGE PATHS. (Yes I read the OP and you said curved into a diagonal path, but how large was this curve?)

There is a small, but important difference.

If it CHANGED PATHS it was shield-reflected/bounced/whatever you want to call it.

I know you may not think it was, but after 2 hours of messing with this that is really the only explanation that would make sense.

If it's not, then performing this "AT" must be pretty non-viable. I tried every amount of inputs I could.....

EDIT:

As much as I agree with Serris, I think Dryn is actually right on this one.

OverlordCrono

Smash Cadet
Did it CURVE or did it CHANGE PATHS. (Yes I read the OP and you said curved into a diagonal path, but how large was this curve?)

There is a small, but important difference.

If it CHANGED PATHS it was shield-reflected/bounced/whatever you want to call it.

I know you may not think it was, but after 2 hours of messing with this that is really the only explanation that would make sense.

If it's not, then performing this "AT" must be pretty non-viable. I tried every amount of inputs I could.....

EDIT:

As much as I agree with Serris, I think Dryn is actually right on this one.
I can 100% say it was a curve, that turned smoothly diagonal upwards, enough to miss what would've been a direct hit. Again, I point to the diagram.

Unfortunately, I'm not having much success in reproducing it either. I hope it wasn't just a one-time fluke, so I'm gonna keep trying a bit more before I call it quits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom