• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Rankings List - Post-March 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I'd think for MK to be like archbound ravanger to Snake's Tooth and Nail, he sort of needs to be... COUNTERED BY SNAKE instead of being 50/50 at best.

Of course, Mk isn't quite as good at obliterating everything else as affinity was.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'd think for MK to be like archbound ravanger to Snake's Tooth and Nail, he sort of needs to be... COUNTERED BY SNAKE instead of being 50/50 at best.

Of course, Mk isn't quite as good at obliterating everything else as affinity was.
If Tooth and Nail countered Ravager Affinity then things would've been fine. Problem was that it only made competition for Ravager Affinity, while killing a lot of other decks on its own, and any decks built to beat Tooth and Nail lost to Ravager Affinity.

So, Wizards' initial answer to this problem was banning Skullclamp.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
If Tooth and Nail countered Ravager Affinity then things would've been fine. Problem was that it only made competition for Ravager Affinity, while killing a lot of other decks on its own, and any decks built to beat Tooth and Nail lost to Ravager Affinity.

So, Wizards' initial answer to this problem was banning Skullclamp.
Not that clamp didn't need banning.

Really though, it's just what happens when MaRo gets his way. He make so many broken mechanics because all he is thinking is that they will be "fun". Affinity would have been fine if there wasn't artifact lands (or at least, not colored ones.).

Flayl

Smash Hero
Metaknight is a lot like Tarmogoyf actually. Really good for it's cost, no reason not to use him if you splash green yet not broken, at least IMO.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Metaknight is a lot like Tarmogoyf actually. Really good for it's cost, no reason not to use him if you splash green yet not broken, at least IMO.
I'm 2 good lol. But Goyf never had legit consideration for a banning, because he has so many answers, like terror, Condenm, WoG, ect. Not every deck splashed Green for goyf, and really, faeries made a joke out of goyf. Faeries is more like MK. You can pick it up, and you are immedeatly good at it if you are good at magic. Although Faeries isn't as overcenteralizing, and has an absolute counter in RDW.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
lol you people suck for talking about MtG in my thread.

And I suck for starting it all.

D

Deleted member

Chula Vista XXIX.1(apperantly there will be more XXIXs :p)
5$ entry fee, 16 entrants
1: tyrant (meta knight)
2: dsf (meta knight, snake)
3: havok(Meta knight)
4: hall(snake)
5: bone(peach)
5: nyjin(falco, ike)
7: burntsockz(yoshi ^^)
7: fierce(Zero suit samus, zelda)
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=148906

kay

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion

Affinity ***** the balls of Tooth O.o and EVERY other deck that wasn't Anti-Affinity.dec (See - Nassif's deck for that years Worlds)

In this case I would say that MK is BOTH Affinity and the deck which is set up to beat it. Snake is more like...Affnity post Ravager and Skullclamp getting b7d lolz

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Post-ban Affinity was pretty bad and had this weird splash of Ninjas.

M.K

Level 55
Wait, does the BRoom consult this list when forming the newest tier list?

I mean, look at that Pokemon Trainer go!!

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
If you're seriously asking that question, then I believe their words looked a little something like this:

"We take tournament results with a grain of salt. They are definitely a factor but not the end all be all."

If you just asked for your next sentence, then here here for low tiers. (wow that rhymes.)

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Dominant my ***. B/G Control, Tooth and Nail, U/G Control, and White Weenie filled up the top tier until Ravnica came around and pretty much cut out most of B/G Control and the central piece of Tooth and Nail. I think I saw two or three Affinity decks make top 8 in States-level tournaments after the ban.

cutter

Smash Champion
Tooth and Nail did not counter Affinity at all. The matchup was 60-40 in Affinity's favor. If Tooth supposedly countered Affinity, explain to me why Affinity dominated even HARDER than when Tooth was in it's prime during this time?

I still never understand to this day why Wizards ever made Affinity in the first place. I guess they never learned their lesson from the "untap mechanic" fiasco from Urza's block.

Affinity was pretty much dead after it got banned. When you lose the decks name sake (Ravager), the "oops I win" factor (Disciple), and your central engine (all the artifact lands), I don't think a deck can survive.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
Tyrant outplaced DSF?
daaang

Futile's back??
dsf lost to mike due to a crazy shield break on delfino

fiction honestly probably would've beat tyrant if he didn't have to drop, tyrant hard counters larry but loses to fiction a lot

and yeah, futiles back and they didn't seed him, which led to some gay brackets for me

if I won my matches my bracket would have been: Futile - Bardull - BoA - Teba (jonT upset him though) - Tyrant - Larry - finals

or in PR terms: Futile - #12 - #6 - #8 (11) - #4 - #2 - finals

in losers bracket I had a ddd second round

CO18

Smash Hero
dsf lost to mike due to a crazy shield break on delfino

fiction honestly probably would've beat tyrant if he didn't have to drop, tyrant hard counters larry but loses to fiction a lot

and yeah, futiles back and they didn't seed him, which led to some gay brackets for me

if I won my matches my bracket would have been: Futile - Bardull - BoA - Teba (jonT upset him though) - Tyrant - Larry - finals

or in PR terms: Futile - #12 - #6 - #8 (11) - #4 - #2 - finals

in losers bracket I had a ddd second round
Are there any vids from this tourney?

St. Viers

Smash Champion
back on topic (MTG), anyone know if seedcradle witch is banned yet? I can't see how it isn't (wirewood channel loves that witch too much)

cutter

Smash Champion
Seedcradle Witch will never be banned.

Yes, you can abuse the untap with Wirewood Channeler for infinite mana and power if you have a few other Elves, but it has proven not to be a broken card. I haven't seen any Extended or Legacy decks really abusing the combo, let along taking top 8s at tournaments. I wouldn't be putting Seedcradle Witch in the realm of other broken cards like Yawgmoth's Will, Tinker, and Memory Jar.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
About the tournament placements... I know you probably are going to look at my post count and assume I'm undereducated because I'm new to the forum, but I have something to say regardless.

It seems unfair that Meta Knight and Snake are the top two only because they are played so often. I imagine tournaments would get quite boring in the last few rounds as the Snakes and Meta Knights monotonously fight each other to see who has the best Snake/Meta Knight. I think if all the characters were used equally the list would look much different than it does now. All it takes is for one person to win a tournament with a certain character and then everyone wants to play as that character so they can be just as good.

People are like sheep no matter how you look at it, always copying off the person with the right answer instead of figuring it out for themselves.

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
About the tournament placements... I know you probably are going to look at my post count and assume I'm undereducated because I'm new to the forum, but I have something to say regardless.

It seems unfair that Meta Knight and Snake are the top two only because they are played so often. I imagine tournaments would get quite boring in the last few rounds as the Snakes and Meta Knights monotonously fight each other to see who has the best Snake/Meta Knight. I think if all the characters were used equally the list would look much different than it does now. All it takes is for one person to win a tournament with a certain character and then everyone wants to play as that character so they can be just as good.

People are like sheep no matter how you look at it, always copying off the person with the right answer instead of figuring it out for themselves.
Wrong.

More people use MK and Snake (Moreso MK) because they're the best characters. Not the other way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom