• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Rankings List - Post-March 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitas

the moon
Nysyarc, you seem to think that despite representing the wrong side of the argument and being wrong on pretty much every point, you won the "debate", which mostly involved you implicitly insulting a large portion of the smash community over and over again

Your evidence was meaningless and irrelevant in addition to being taken out of context, you made points that would have had more weight if I had never played brawl before, and rather than a structured and pointed assembly of deductions, your posts tended to be random comments strung together.

You would have been better served to simply say that correlation =/= causation and hope that by a statistical anomaly there was a different underlying cause that made MK win (such as people who like blue circles being good at video games *for some reason*)

I really hope you didn't feel anything other than being shut down and wrong over and over again over the last few pages, because this debate wasn't going in a direction you should have liked.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
which mostly involved you implicitly insulting a large portion of the smash community over and over again
I think it was the other way around, some people took jabs at more than just my arguments, which is fair since they didn't know I was just debating.

I never said or tried to imply that I won the debate, if you got that impression then I'm sorry because it's very clear that I lost the debate.

I know a lot about forums, and therefore I know that if I were to ask people's opinion, and if I were to ask about how tournaments in Brawl work and about various acronyms associated with Brawl and etc... I would not be given a response but instead I would be redirected to the search bar or another forum page.

By debating, most of you shared your opinions and many true facts without prompting, simply to defend a point; and I know more about how the tournaments and the game really works now because of it. You should try debating sometimes, it's fun and it's one of the best ways to gain knowledge.

As for feeling shut down, I try not to 'feel' anything while debating, and instead look at everything logically. I was tired and bored last night, and I was defending a hopeless point, so I didn't do as well as I normally would in a debate. But you guys can't really complain since you were all siding with each other, you were all right, and you all got to have that feeling of squashing some undereducated hick in a debate, which is a universally enjoyed feeling :chuckle:

Anyways, I'm going to stop with the long rants unless someone gives me reason to post another one. No hard feelings guys, seriously :)

Edit: Lol, Bobson. If you're a guy (which I assume you are), then unfortunately I don't think we are soulmates, but it's good to know that my efforts are understood and appreciated :)

Atomsk_92

Smash Hero
If you want to base it on characters, then I wouldn't play as DDD because according to the stats he has less than a 10% chance to win a given tournament (56 rankings, only 5 wins). But again, it's CO18 & ATOMSK winning with him.

Hi Guyz

Gates

Banned via Warnings
MK is more like Exodia, lolamirite???
You mean because nobody likes the game he's in?

But seriously, what the hell was that essay. Magic is awesome and all, but pre-constructed sucks.
lol you mean Constructed or those Pre-Cons Wizards sells? If it's the precons, yeah they're **** terrible lol but I think Constructed and Limited both have their good and bad aspects and are about even.

Metaknight is a lot like Tarmogoyf actually. Really good for it's cost, no reason not to use him if you splash green yet not broken, at least IMO.
Tarmogoyf is Green? I thought with all the blue decks he's in they'd just add errata to make him blue.

Not every deck splashed Green for goyf
Control decks in Legacy and Vintage say hi.

MK is like a burn deck. Because he's *not* broken, people just don't play against him right.
See, the problem with that is that burn decks generally suck while MK doesn't. And by burn I don't mean RDW and the like.

Post-ban Affinity was pretty bad and had this weird splash of Ninjas.
lol wut? Are you talking about post Skullclamp ban or when they nuked basically the whole deck?

Affinity with Cranial Plating over Skullclamp was actually better in my opinion. Skullclamp gave Affinity a late game but Plating made it so that you didn't need a late game.

If you're talking about Erayo "Affinity", yes that deck was bad. Fun to play but bad.

back on topic (MTG), anyone know if seedcradle witch is banned yet? I can't see how it isn't (wirewood channel loves that witch too much)
lol nice casual combo deck.

Lots of Affinity vs. Tooth posts
Tooth did not beat Affinity but at the same time Affinity often could not pull through against Tooth. It largely depended on the build of each. Post board Tooth had between 10 and 15 pieces of artifact hate (Viridian Shaman, Oxidize, Electrostatic Bolt for RG Tooth, and maybe Molder Slug and Naturalize) no matter what, so the Affinity deck's preparation for the matchup was a large part of it due to the fact that some Affinity decks had to dedicate 10+ cards in their sideboard to the mirror match (transformational sideboards). Generally, all Affinity decks brought in some number of Shrapnel Blasts to quicken the kill, but many also brought in Terror to deal with Molder Slug, Relic Barrier to deal with Tooth's giant robots, and Mana Leak to deal with, well, anything. Tooth generally had the upper hand after sideboarding but unless they had a good amount of hate maindeck they'd probably lose game 1 to Affinity's sheer speed and power. Game 2 was the real deciding factor in the matchup since it showed how well Tooth's sideboard was against Affinity. If it was really good, they'd probably go on to win game 3. If it wasn't good enough, that would be the match.

Why are you guys talking about Standard anyway? Don't you know Type Two humps men?

lol you people suck for talking about MtG in my thread.

And I suck for starting it all.
What do you mean "you people"?

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
You mean because nobody likes the game he's in?
PPl leik bral.

lol you mean Constructed or those Pre-Cons Wizards sells? If it's the precons, yeah they're **** terrible lol but I think Constructed and Limited both have their good and bad aspects and are about even.
Lol, what about the old precon that had a lotus and a mox emerald in it? I like that precon. Or Jitte on a more reasonable level.

Tarmogoyf is Green? I thought with all the blue decks he's in they'd just add errata to make him blue.
No, he is WUBRG hybrid. Get it straight.

Control decks in Legacy and Vintage say hi.
Lol, wizards wasn't thinking about legacy or vintage when they did that. Thresh and Countertop really needed a 2 mana wincon. But I was referring to T2.

See, the problem with that is that burn decks generally suck while MK doesn't. And by burn I don't mean RDW and the like.
Because they are always being played by bad players, or because no one knows how to bulid them right?

And lol, standard RDW isn't really RDW. Red doesn't play multiple (actually, any) 5 drops.

Affinity with Cranial Plating over Skullclamp was actually better in my opinion. Skullclamp gave Affinity a late game but Plating made it so that you didn't need a late game.
IDK, clamp + disciple was no need for late game, with lots of late game.

If you're talking about Erayo "Affinity", yes that deck was bad. Fun to play but bad.
I loved that deck. But yeah, it was terrible on almost every level.

lol nice casual combo deck.
QFT. Play some TEPS, Swans, Elves (extended combos lol) and then get back.

Tooth did not beat Affinity but at the same time Affinity often could not pull through against Tooth. It largely depended on the build of each. Post board Tooth had between 10 and 15 pieces of artifact hate (Viridian Shaman, Oxidize, Electrostatic Bolt for RG Tooth, and maybe Molder Slug and Naturalize) no matter what, so the Affinity deck's preparation for the matchup was a large part of it due to the fact that some Affinity decks had to dedicate 10+ cards in their sideboard to the mirror match (transformational sideboards). Generally, all Affinity decks brought in some number of Shrapnel Blasts to quicken the kill, but many also brought in Terror to deal with Molder Slug, Relic Barrier to deal with Tooth's giant robots, and Mana Leak to deal with, well, anything. Tooth generally had the upper hand after sideboarding but unless they had a good amount of hate maindeck they'd probably lose game 1 to Affinity's sheer speed and power. Game 2 was the real deciding factor in the matchup since it showed how well Tooth's sideboard was against Affinity. If it was really good, they'd probably go on to win game 3. If it wasn't good enough, that would be the match.

Why are you guys talking about Standard anyway? Don't you know Type Two humps men?[/QUOTE]

God am I glad I took a temp break back then.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
PPl leik bral.
Really? With all the complaining around SWF they could've fooled me.

Lol, what about the old precon that had a lotus and a mox emerald in it?
lol what set was this? I remember Skullclamp and Jitte both being in precons though. It was very lulzy.

Because they are always being played by bad players, or because no one knows how to bulid them right?
That's usually the case. I honestly know nothing about the current standard so if people are doing this now and it's working, good for them.

betterthanbonds9

Smash Ace
Lol, don't twist my words, even if I didn't really mean them :p
suuuuuure you didn't

don't worry, I believe you IKE FOR TOP TIER

sorry, i forgot that you are NOT a random scrub, my bad

MK FOR TOP TIER BECAUSE HE'S THE BEST

oh, but i'll leave these here
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=223340&page=3
I enjoy breaking up taunt parties with Ike. I can actually play Ike and so the taunters are caught off guard by the fact that they have to play hard to rid themselves of me. It's funny seeing people taunting like crazy and then getting frustrated when they still can't kill me, then they try to step up their game, using all kinds of obvious moves and typical strategies.

I don't really understand taunt parties. So you stand there taunting. Fun. Simple minds are easily amused I guess. There really is no other excuse. If you say it's fun, you're obviously not a very level-headed or down-to-earth person. If you say you're bored or there's nothing else to do, you have no life. Throw any other excuses at me and they're all meaningless; bottom line is, taunt parties (you misspelled "With Anyone") are for people who can't actually play Brawl.
or maybe people go on to with anyone matches because they know that 2:00 time matches on World 1-2 is actually not a serious match and dont treat it seriously.

Meh. I just got WiFi a few days ago so as soon as I have enough people on my friend roster I'm never playing With Anyone again. Taunt parties are far from my kind of entertainment.
so yeah, i bet you are definetly not new here and didn't mean that stuff and have more tourney experience than me and are the better player and could kick my *** in a fight irl and have a better life and live in a mansion and i bet you'll take first at genesis because you're just so good at everything.

And actually on topic: I love seeing diddy at the top, does anybody have some good diddy vs mk vids out there that aren't the M2K ninjalink ones from awhile ago?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
lol, I really wouldn't spend much time arguing with someone who already pulled the "I was just faking it! I'm not really arguing this point, I only wanted to see how you guys would react!" after being told he was wrong 15 different ways. I'm still not going to believe he said that as any more than an escape from an obviously incorrect position on a dumb debate. Personally talking about Mirrodin block Standard seems way more worth it.

While Legacy is where it's at, Standard keeps things fresh because of the limited cardpool. It's just that no casual player's wallet can ever handle the hell of constantly rotating blocks.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Magic Workstation is the ****. I advise everyone to get it and start netdecking like pros.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
While Legacy is where it's at
Where what's at? Tarmogoyf? Counterbalance? That's all I hear about from Legacy these days.

lol jk jk I actually do like Legacy Dragon Stompy but I like Vintage much better overall since there's just so many broken things you can do. Yesterday I was reading about a Meditate+Mystic Remora deck. The goal is to skip turns and draw assloads of cards while countering stuff with Force of Will and stealing stuff with Commandeer and then getting both pieces of the Voltaic Key+Time Vault combo in your hand for the win. The tourney report I read on it includes gems like "My opponent takes 4 turns in a row and then I kill him". Even bad cards are broken in Vintage.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Really? With all the complaining around SWF they could've fooled me.
Meh.

lol what set was this? I remember Skullclamp and Jitte both being in precons though. It was very lulzy.
It was like the first time they did precons. I think it was unlimited. I saw it on the MTG.com main website. I'll find the link later.

That's usually the case. I honestly know nothing about the current standard so if people are doing this now and it's working, good for them.
I quit standard about 3 months ago, so I'm not sure, but it was really close to as linear as mirrodin (like 3 viable decks)

Where what's at? Tarmogoyf? Counterbalance? That's all I hear about from Legacy these days.

lol jk jk I actually do like Legacy Dragon Stompy but I like Vintage much better overall since there's just so many broken things you can do. Yesterday I was reading about a Meditate+Mystic Remora deck. The goal is to skip turns and draw assloads of cards while countering stuff with Force of Will and stealing stuff with Commandeer and then getting both pieces of the Voltaic Key+Time Vault combo in your hand for the win. The tourney report I read on it includes gems like "My opponent takes 4 turns in a row and then I kill him". Even bad cards are broken in Vintage.
Vintage is awesome. Hardcast protean hulk FTW in the invitational much?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Notable cards being in precons include:
Avatar of Woe - Distress (Prophecy)
Umezawa's Jitte - Rat's Nest (Betrayers of Kamigawa)
Skullclamp (x2) - Transferrence (Darksteel)
Dauthi Slayer (x2) - Migraine (Stronghold)
Counterspell (x4) - Dominator (Exodus)
Propaganda - Dominator (Exodus)
Pestilence (x4) - The Plague (Exodus)
Worship - The Plague (Exodus)
Pariah - The Plague (Exodus)
Paladin en-Vec - White Heat (Exodus)
Ensnaring Bridge - Migraine (Stronghold)
Wildfire - Special Delivery (Exodus)

StrikerX22

Smash Rookie
You presume too much. I know you guys may not believe this but I was acting almost that whole time.
I hate people who actually do that.

That's why I'm not religious, I'm logical, because logic never fails, even where faith does.
Shameless, baseless view promotion.

I don't care if you guys won't forgive me or whatever. I'm willing to start over and be mature about it.
You see, now you actually sound 16. Maybe 13.

And such trolling should not be tolerated. If you were in my forums, I'd ban you immediately for being an such an idiot alone. This thread didn't deserve that, and nor did we.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
LOL tempest block.

Also: Here is the card of the day archive that says that you can get emerald and lotus in the same starter. Nice investment much?

@Kinzer: Learn to Magic the Gathering.

∫unk

Smash Master
Jitte in the starter was so stupid and amazing.

I feel like I should have bought more than 4 to sell/put in every one of my **** around decks for hax

You should use Cruel Ultimatum instead of Tooth and Nail for snake XD

Metaknight reminds me more of Psychatog om nom nom versatility

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Buying the deck is cheaper than buying the single of the card. Gee, I wonder what I bought?

Re: Legacy
I've mostly been playing Solidarity on MWS, but I still get shut down by Goblins quite a lot, but that could be simply because I can't draw enough counters, and I'm usually too unsure to go off without more than 4 Islands.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master

I feel like I should have bought more than 4 to sell/put in every one of my **** around decks for hax
Yeah, it was kinda absurd. 12 dollar precon for 25 dollar card. I raided so many unknowing stores (stupid walmarts and hastings)

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
suuuuuure you didn't
I hate people who actually do that.
And such trolling should not be tolerated. If you were in my forums, I'd ban you immediately for being an such an idiot alone. This thread didn't deserve that, and nor did we.
lol, I really wouldn't spend much time arguing with someone who already pulled the "I was just faking it! I'm not really arguing this point, I only wanted to see how you guys would react!"
Really? Still at it? I was prepared to leave this thread for you guys to talk about what I assume is Magic cards. And I still am if you're willing to stop gunning after me like I hurt you physically. Sticks and stones guys, get over it.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Really? Still at it? I was prepared to leave this thread for you guys to talk about what I assume is Magic cards. And I still am if you're willing to stop gunning after me like I hurt you physically. Sticks and stones guys, get over it.
I actually forgot about you until you brought yourself back up. If you want us to stop talking about you, I suggest you stop replying specifically to bring the subject of yourself up again. As per your request, to help you get over yourself I'll just remove any future attempts by you at doing this.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
For what it's worth, I want to jump in here. 60:40, contrary to popular belief, does not mean that the advantaged player is gonna win as much as you people think it does. The smash community is the only one I've seen where people think this.

In most places, 60:40 is seen as pretty much even, with a slight disadvantage. Here, it's seen as if it's like 80:20, practically unwinnable. Let's either use the right ratios, or stop using 60:40 matchups to say a character is too good... Yes, it means he's at a *slight* advantage that can be annoying against lower level players (that's right, 90% of you would lose even if one of the like 10 good MK players responsible for his high ranking, even if they used someone else), The fights are still-- from the youtube vids I watch of brawl finals--fairly even, for the most part.

@the trolly person: get a life, and no johns.

back to magic: I understand what they say, but I can't speak it--I'm just a very practiced casual player, who tries to keep up w/ competitive players.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
From the way they worded that article, it seems like they meant that you could get them in the same booster pack. I've never seen any precons for Alpha/Beta/Unlimited before.

You forgot Broodstar in that one Mirrodin precon (though it's debatable since it stopped seeing play after Darksteel).

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You forgot Broodstar in that one Mirrodin precon (though it's debatable since it stopped seeing play after Darksteel).
Broodstar Affinity was seen as pretty good when Mirrodin was the only set in the block, but its UU requirement made it generally unstable and nowhere near as powerful as Ravager became.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
^^Except that he isn't being power drunk or arrogant. You are flaming both by posting in a manner solely to provoke a reaction (your original point), and now by personally, and publicly insulting posters (mod or not doesn't matter)

Granted, everyone here should prolly have millions of points for being OT, but as a mod/admin for other sites, I have to say that rudeness/disrespect is far more distressing, and offensive.

(I apologize for speaking up like this, but this behavior is a pet peeve of mine)

betterthanbonds9

Smash Ace
it's in the topic title, it's not off topic

I once owned avatar of woe, but then I stopped playing, gave it to my friend for free, now he's moved away
-pretty much my only MTG tale that's worth mentioning

how much could I have sold that for 3 years ago?

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I once owned avatar of woe, but then I stopped playing, gave it to my friend for free, now he's moved away
-pretty much my only MTG tale that's worth mentioning

how much could I have sold that for 3 years ago?
Not much. It was never really used in anything so it's kind of just a novelty rare.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
From the way they worded that article, it seems like they meant that you could get them in the same booster pack. I've never seen any precons for Alpha/Beta/Unlimited before.
Re looking on it, it's like tourney packs (the triple boosters really only designed for pre-releases). Either way, too good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom