• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Marth probably still has a decent ledge-trap game. He can punish roll and jump similar to most characters, ledge-hop is simply a bad option in this game, and he has potentially the best punish for standard get up in shield breaker.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Yes by design I feel he'll always remain atleast high tier and stay top 15 or even top 10. His speed alone is difficult for a ton of characters to deal with. He has great kill options which is what he lacked in brawl. He can get in on zoners well to he's like moving projectile. I do think we will see another balance patch Tho maybe when mew2 comes out and I do hope Diddy sheik sonic and luigi are all toned down a bit. Think it would be great for the game.
Luigi does not need any toning down. He is barely even top 10, if that.

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
Luigi does not need any toning down. He is barely even top 10, if that.
Oh wow, it must be so hard for him, being barely Top 10. :p

But seriously, I don't think Luigi needs a nerf because he doesn't invalidate any other characters (or does he? Luigi mains/victims?), he's just really good. He's so utterly likable as a character hardly anyone in the community would accept a nerf to his kit. And he's always fun to watch.

Not to mention that good Diddy matchup.

Speaking of top tier fighters, I could not care less about Diddy, Sheik, Sonic, and Rosalina as actual characters. I have NEVER liked those guys. Note that this doesn't mean I have an issue with them being good or watchable (in fact I really enjoy the way high level Sheik and Sonic play is turning out) but my god these characters are practically nobodies. And Sonic is obnoxious.

I actually wonder if that affects spectator enjoyment though... if Captain Falcon was overplayed and won the most tournaments I'm not sure there'd be an issue...

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813

But seriously, I don't think Luigi needs a nerf because he doesn't invalidate any other characters (or does he? Luigi mains/victims?), he's just really good. He's so utterly likable as a character hardly anyone in the community would accept a nerf to his kit. And he's always fun to watch.

Speaking of top tier fighters, I could not care less about Diddy, Sheik, Sonic, and Rosalina as actual characters. I have NEVER liked those guys. Note that this doesn't mean I have an issue with them being good or watchable (in fact I really enjoy the way high level Sheik and Sonic play is turning out) but my god these characters are practically nobodies. And Sonic is obnoxious.

I actually wonder if that affects spectator enjoyment though... if Captain Falcon was overplayed and won the most tournaments I'm not sure there'd be an issue...
Well...top 10s don't need any nerfs. On my tier list I have him as 12th. That and Luigi takes a lot of skill too [Jumpless cyclones, matching combos to DI]. Also he has actually glaring weaknesses compared to the other tops [Luigi has VERY exploitable mobility and poor range.] He's kind of overrated atm but I don't see him ever falling below top 15 in the long run.

The only matchups I feel are pretty one one sided in Luigi's favors are Ganondorf for sure and...maybe DK. DK at least has movement and range here though. Everything else is like, small advantages. Cept some certain characters *glares at Villager*

And Falcon is overplayed! ...only FG. Seriously, I verse, not even kidding, 7 Falcons to any other character. Good thing the matchup is even for Luigi...and Rob's favor.

Last edited:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Warning Received

Whatever you're smoking I'd like some.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Marth is still strong at ledge traps, but getting there is WAY harder now due to mechanic changes and keeping them. Also frame data changes to ledge get-up options make it more difficult as well. But this trap situation is something Marth claimed dominion over so you can feel these changes alot with him.

I guess you could say that Marth isn't REALLY FEELIN IT!!!!

*looks at Shulk and gives him a high five.*

Loota

Smash Journeyman
Rosalina's ledge traps might be the only exception.
And just to bring another funny example, Lucario flat out shuts down some characters' options on the ledge with his aura sphere charge if it's big enough. If Lucario is standing near the edge and charging the sphere while facing the stage, AS charge catches all (though, I'd be gladly proven wrong as I only have my own experience to trust) ledge getups, ledge attacks and ledge jumps, leaving characters only two options to either ledge roll or drop down and try to maneuver over him. Even then, rolling isn't really recommended since Lucario is facing you with an fully charged AS ready to fire. Characters are kind of forced to take the route of ledgedropping and either try to hit Lucario through the charge or just get to safety past him. You also have only one shot at it since you really don't want to grab the ledge again without invincibility while Lucario has his AS charged, a moderately big one hits eveyone on the ledge when fired from the stage.

Some characters have really quick and ranged aerials for this to be truly effective but just imagine if you're lacking these or safe mobility to get over it (poor Little Mac). Fundamentally, it's still a guessing game, often heavily in Lucario's favour. I only wish he had more followups from AS charge though...

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Down tilt is still pretty good.
Immediate pivot ftilt or longer dashpivot grab for the roll on.
Forward rolling in, dash grab.

Covers a lot. Edge guarding is one of those scenarios where perfect pivots are pretty helpful to.

Last edited:

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman
what in the world??
luigi is top8 at worst, he shares a lot of diddys playstyle but its harder and has more variety make him a threat.
diddy sheik rosalina sonic and after that ZSS,pika,olimar and Luigi.

Last edited:

Vengeance_NS

Smash Journeyman
Luigi players always downplay how good he is. Yeah he has his issues but e currently has the tools and guaranteed setups that he'll never drop out of top10. I think all the dthrow setups that are guaranteed need to go for all characters personally. Diddy and luigi problem would be fixed.

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman
Luigi players always downplay how good he is. Yeah he has his issues but e currently has the tools and guaranteed setups that he'll never drop out of top10. I think all the dthrow setups that are guaranteed need to go for all characters personally. Diddy and luigi problem would be fixed.
I think most of characters should have followups after grabs but they should be DIable, problem its shield is so broken in smash 4 that the only thing you can use against it its grab since poking is really hard and its only possible risking laggy moves, that makes grab even better and more if you add guaranteed followups after that.

Judo777

Smash Master
2) ZSS has other tools to make up for it. Good combo games, A LOT of things guaranteed on hit (think paralize) and really early kill potential (think 40%). I think Nairo kill his opponent around 50% in around half their game.

3) The tilt that leads into other thing is Uptilt and its startup lag is "okayish". Dtilt and ftilt doesnt lead into anything.
4) Dair is amazing punish, i'll give you that.
5) Give you that one too
6) The fact that opponent can shield all day because of no grab make it harder for Yoshi to get in. Like you said a lot of characters don't have a lot of things safe on shield but at least they can dash grab a lot to punish overuse of the shield. Yoshi can't. I know you can do mix up etc but you have to realize that if you miss 1 dash grab, its 20-30% you are getting or your stock if you are around 100%.

I'm not saying Yoshi is bad by any means, I'm just saying hes not good enough to compete at higher level top/high tier heavy metagame. Sadly, custom moves don't help him either... Only 1 is "good"
I personally think Yoshi is very good. He is definitely not going to play like any of the other top tiers tho. In my mind he will feel a little bit like Pika did in Brawl.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I would also argue Luigi wasn't relevant in a metagame till now, causing people to have an inexperienced idea with how Luigi plays in general. I would also say similar stuff with Ness and Yoshi.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I kinda feel like Yoshi seems more like Ness instead of pikachu. Mobility spam with spaced fairs or Nair for quick get out move, Up b to hit people from distance, and both recoveries ez pz to **** with in both Brawl and smash 4.
Only difference of course is Yoshi has no killing throws and weight.

Last edited:

Vengeance_NS

Smash Journeyman
I kinda feel like Yoshi seems more like Ness instead of pikachu. Mobility spam with spaced fairs or Nair for quick get out move, Up b to hit people from distance, and both recoveries ez pz to **** with in both Brawl and smash 4.
Only difference of course is Yoshi has no killing throws and weight.
I agree to all that and yoshi and ness are similar in the fact both are incredibly over rated as well.

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman
so now that people are kind of possitive with customs what is you opinion on characters changing its playstyle based on itss customs, take mario for example.

pressure and spacing mario:scalding fludd + fast fireballs
aggresive mario:scalding+fireball+explosive punch
edgeguard mario:Super Jump+HPFLUDD

some characters don't have multiple roles thanks to customs

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I don't really see Yoshi and Ness being that similar. For one thing, Yoshi's neutral game is flat out much better than Ness's. Eggs are a much more versatile projectile than PK Fire, and he also just has better normals for spacing and poking. Ness's neutral game is generally limited to a few moves (Fair, PK Fire, Grab), but his reward upon landing any of those hits is substantially more than Yoshi gets. Ness also has more reliable kill setups than Yoshi, particularly Bthrow.

I feel that these differences are particularly obvious in the Yoshi vs Ness matchup. Ness is all about trying to land the above moves and get follow-ups, while Yoshi is just trying to build gradual damage with individual hits. Ness also has to go in while Yoshi tries to keep him out. Like I said previously, I feel Yoshi wins this matchup simply because many of Ness's follow-ups don't work on him (he can armor out of most of Ness's strings), so he tends to win the damage race.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
You must not be playing Ness mains if they're not taking advantage of their UpB.
That's not a neutral move though, Ness uses that to follow-up after sending you off-stage or into the air. He needs to use the aforementioned moves to gain stage control first. PK Thunder doesn't work that great on Yoshi, though, due to the nature of his recovery he can almost always just clank it with Nair. God forbid if Ness uses it from below Yoshi, then he just gets DownB'd.

Of course, almost all Ness mains I've encountered do attempt to use PK Thunder at neutral after getting walled out by eggs for a while, usually some fraudulent PK Thunder 2 shenanigans that just gets them forward smashed. Realistically though you shouldn't really be going for that.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
And Falcon is overplayed! ...only FG. Seriously, I verse, not even kidding, 7 Falcons to any other character. Good thing the matchup is even for Luigi...and Rob's favor.
I don't see ROB inherently winning the Falcon MU. If it is the advantage is small. Sure, ROB has projectiles (and Gyro can hamper approaches) but it's not like Falcon struggles to close distance. Falcon also has an impressive juggling game and ROB really doesn't like that. Falcon also outranges ROB on average (I believe that, excepting FAir, ROB's moves that are longer-ranged are a lot slower). I suppose ROB can juggle Falcon just as well but it really feels to me like the Captain should have the edge.

I've been meaning to ask about ROB for a while. He's decent but I don't see him in the top third of the cast (where I've seen him placed in a couple of tier lists). He has some good throws but poor grab range, his spacing game took a big hit from Brawl, and his recovery is also worse. His projectiles are fairly good, but his Gyro can be picked up and used against him. He's also very weak to juggles. I'm not seeing what makes him that exceptional that he's placed so high.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Someone a while back, possibly @ Thinkaman Thinkaman or @HeroMystic ???, was saying that Meta Knight is Little Mac's worst matchup. Would they (or anyone else) be able to elaborate on that, especially with characters like Sheik around?

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
On the topic of exploiting Luigi's mobility, I believe this to be true but the extent of which it factors against him is very minute and wanes in my eyes constantly as I do play him, and the amount of damage he gets off of a single player mistake (see D-Throw) mitigates this IMO. I think Luigi's weaknesses are almost (not entirely) patched up by the sheer strength of his punish game. He has likely the highest damage stacking in this game (him and Fox build damage REALLY fast) and his grounded mobility is good as well. Thanks to how SH projectiles and the projectile nerfs in general work, Luigi's fireball is now one of the better ones in the game by comparison as well as it received no real endlag nerfs compared to people like Falco.

Dunno, I don't think his faults are unexploitable but I don't think they're as easy to exploit in this iteration only in the fact that if you fail to properly do it you're probably going to lose any damage lead you might've had. DI can't really save you from that bonkers D-Throw...

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Someone a while back, possibly @ Thinkaman Thinkaman (?), was saying that Meta Knight is Little Mac's worst matchup. Would they (or anyone else) be able to elaborate on that, especially with characters like Sheik around?
Little Mac's hated enemies, in order:
  • Juggling
  • Up-Bs that grab the ledge while hitting those above it
  • Aerial flexibility (multiple double jumps)
  • Disjointed-ness
  • Good dash grab
  • High throw reward
  • Low commitment aerials
  • Hitbox walls
  • Mixup Gimps (option coverage)
  • Windboxes
Little Mac's favorite friends (to facepunch), in order:
  • Fast fallers
  • Poor ledge options
  • Lightweights
  • "Fast" ground movesets ("that's cute")
  • High-commitment aerials
  • No projectiles
  • Slow projectiles
  • Non-true combos that still "always work"
No one has more from the first list than Meta Knight, who also has none from the second list except being lightweight and having no projectiles.

Sheik has several items from the top list, and is probably not one of LM's favorite people. However, she falls EXTREMELY fast, which LM LOVES

Against people who fall this fast, LM's absurd reward on trivial hits is cranked to 11.
  • Sheik falls into the ground during hitstun at almost all %s of jab 1-2, giving LM a handful of extra frames. At high percents, LM can guaranteed d-smash this.
  • Sheik falls into the ground during hitstun of d-tilt at low %s, doing the same. LM can not only d-smash this, but even guaranteed f-smash it (forward only) at optimal %s.
  • Sheik can be d-tilt -> KO Punch, d-tilt -> instant Jolt Haymaker, and d-tilt -> Grounding Blow true combos at a much wider range of %s than most characters.
Meanwhile, none of this is true against MK--who also has (mild) disjointedness, multi-hit aerial walls, multiple double jumps (for maximum edgeguarding option coverage and air camping), and that accursed up-b that ruins all of LM's ledge fun.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
The fact that dash attck pops mac into the air is a huge advantage already, mac is helpless when MK is comboing him he can only airdodge or counter. Air dodging will lead him to getting frame trapped and counter is just easy to punish.

Then MK completely shuts down his recovery low or from the side, falling off into bair ends his stock and nair beats his jolt naenaemaker.

MK can fight mac on his own turf because one dash attack in neutral leads into one big combo or a kill setup. MK is fast so he can potentially prevent mac from even touching the ground.

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
Luigi really benefits from perfect pivoting. Probably more than almost any other character. It helps to patch up his poor range and mobility. It's not wavedashing (if only ...), but the more I use it, the more I'm finding it to be critical to playing him effectively. However, perfect pivoting + jumpless rising cyclone = SORE THUMBS.

RBreadsticks

Smash Apprentice
I don't see ROB inherently winning the Falcon MU. If it is the advantage is small. Sure, ROB has projectiles (and Gyro can hamper approaches) but it's not like Falcon struggles to close distance. Falcon also has an impressive juggling game and ROB really doesn't like that. Falcon also outranges ROB on average (I believe that, excepting FAir, ROB's moves that are longer-ranged are a lot slower). I suppose ROB can juggle Falcon just as well but it really feels to me like the Captain should have the edge.

I've been meaning to ask about ROB for a while. He's decent but I don't see him in the top third of the cast (where I've seen him placed in a couple of tier lists). He has some good throws but poor grab range, his spacing game took a big hit from Brawl, and his recovery is also worse. His projectiles are fairly good, but his Gyro can be picked up and used against him. He's also very weak to juggles. I'm not seeing what makes him that exceptional that he's placed so high.
You're right about the falcon MU ROB struggles against rush down characters.

I disagree with gyro being able to be picked up and used against him. If you're a good ROB you'll only fire gyro when you know it will hit or you know it'll break on sheild or if it's in range for you to just pick up yourself. Even if the opponent does catch or pick up gyro you can easily read their throw and reflect it with a properly timed rotor arm.

I would venture to say he has one of the best projectiles and anti projectile games in the game. Gyro can shut down most projectiles while rotor arm can take care of things like fully charged samuses b or luma launch. More often than not gyro combos into ROBS laser.

His grab range is booty but he makes up for it with powerful grabs. Uthrow is one of his best killing tools while dthrow more or less auto combos into up air(23% free damage ain't bad) on low percents unless your opponent has excellent/flawless di.

Your other points are valid ROB does struggle with being juggled because he's so large his recovery is also very linear so he struggles with being spiked. His aerials are fairly slow but his nair fair dair and uair are extremely usueful. Bair can be used to gain more horizontal recovery. Overall he's a pretty well rounded character but does suffer from numerous flaws.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I've personally had no troubles in the Falcon MU as ROB, but I said it was a small advantage [55:45 ROB]. Falcon doesn't really struggle against projectiles, but ROB's gyro + laser mixup are good enough to make pretty much anyone struggle, even moreso without reflectors. Also Falcon is SUPER prone to Dair spikes from Rob. Like, really bad. Rob is prone to dair spikes himself, but at least he has enough recovery distance to make it back more safely than Falcon. ROB can match range with Falcon thanks to his Bair and Dair. Falcon does beat ROB up with Uairs though once he's in. D throw to U aie is not hard to do on Falcon thanks to his body frame.

I'm going to agree with Kofu though on ROB, he's a very solid character who's kind of underlooked. I replaced Game and Watch as my secondary for ROB because Game and Watch isn't that great [Demoted to a 3rd secondary for me]. ROB's projectile mixup with gyro and laser keeps anyone guessing, unless they have a reflector. Both are great for hitting opponents chasing you offstage from a distance, laser goes that far, that fast. There's always D throw to Uair, solid racking tool most times. Some matchups it's useless though, to which I prefer D throw to Bair. He does have a reflector...a horrible one, but it's niche. Dair spike is great. Also U throw is a great killer from 120-150%

But ROB does suffer from a massive body frame, leaves him to juggles and frame traps. Also polarizing matchups, ROB vs Fox is horrible due to his jab lock and reflector.

I think he's high tier, and very well rounded, he can perform in pretty much any situation.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Why do you need one?

Seriously, we know by now who is worth playing and who isn't. And we have a pretty good idea as to has potential worth investigating.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Why do you need one?

Seriously, we know by now who is worth playing and who isn't. And we have a pretty good idea as to has potential worth investigating.
I can empathise. I know what it's like to play a multi-character or multi-class game, where you don't want to sink hours of time and dedication, and become attached, to a character that ends up being poop. But Smash 4 doesn't really have that problem, and you won't notice the shortcomings of your character until you're placing at tournaments.

Some characters have shortcomings that will limit how you can grow, but limitations also inspire creativity (Jiggs, Samus, Dr Mario, etc in melee for example). Learn how to excel with a character - if they end up limiting you and end up not being fun to use as a result, you'll still come out of the experience with a ton of matchup knowledge and you'll be undoubtedly better at the game. You can change mains and those skills will carry over.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
You could always just refer to my tier list, as it's officially the best :grin:

Anyway a check list for character specific discussions (soon?)

1. Character's "power level"; Strong, Good, Weak, Unexplored (the less options the better, could do with snazzier terms)
2. Changes between games
3. Strengths/Weaknesses
4. Match ups against "relevant" characters.
5. Areas underutilised that players should be working on/developing (future predictions).
6. Custom moves and their impacts/changes to the character's capabilities (assuming AA's custom presets)
7. Overview of neutral, advantageous and disadvantageous states

Thinking of pushing 4 characters per "wave".

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
I would assume changes between games is used to indicate "areas underutilised" in the case of a shift from Brawl (or melee) changing how you should think about the character.

Last edited:

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Nah, as someone who mained Luigi in every Smash game I know the problems that can be exploited. In every single game it has [and most likely always will be] range and mobility. True, mobility can be rectified slightly by cyclone, but range is an issue. Most the top tiers have some formed of ranged attack that can keep Luigi away [Sheik: Needles, Diddy Kong, aerials/banana, Rosalina, Luma, Ness, projectiles etc etc]. I'm not saying Luigi is bad or anything, I'm just saying if people capitalize on keeping him out better, he could see top 15 by the end of it. On the flipside, if Luigi masters perfect pivoting, his range actually increases a bit to compete. Then I could say he's a solid 10. I think he's 12th though atm. So really, it's player dependant. Luigi has a lot of techniques to master to play him at his best. He's very technical, but rewarding.

I didn't mention exploitable recovery because currently us Luigi mains are making more progress on jumpless cyclones. We found that using the D pad is much easier than mashing one button.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master

1. Character's "power level"; Strong, Good, Weak, Unexplored (the less options the better, could do with snazzier terms)
2. Changes between games
3. Strengths/Weaknesses
5. Areas underutilised that players should be working on/developing (future predictions).
6. Custom moves and their impacts/changes to the character's capabilities (assuming AA's custom presets)

1. As long as the terms are well-defined in whatever intro post you end up making, I don't think it matters too much what they're called.

"This character can feasibly win a tournament (or place Top X) on his/her own merits."
"This character is good but held back by XYZ (matchups, frame data, etc.) and can help win a tournament with or as a secondary."
"This character is unlikely to contribute to a tournament win."
"This character's potential is mostly unexplored at this time."

(This just being an idea for how to define a 4-state thing like you listed.)

2. Obviously only relevant for veterans. Not really sure what the purpose of it would be other than to help players adjust to any differences?

4. What counts as "relevant" probably differs from person to person. Sheik and Diddy are fairly obvious but that's about it. Rosalina, since she's so unique?

6. Customs yes good. I think limiting them to the scope of AA's presets is a bit much since ideally players would have the freedom to pick whatever customs they want. But yes.

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team

2. Changes between games
3. Strengths/Weaknesses

Other than what ParanoidDrone posted...
1. Snazzier terms may help a bit with getting it out there, but it doesn't hurt to just go in simple terms that have some to little varying interpretation/arguements over "what is X in terms of viability", for instance.
2. Perhaps take this into consideration with newcomers vs veterans. Will Newcomers be grouped together, or will we have a common mix?

Anyways, while this place is always ripe with discussion, how shall we go about discussion per each wave (which I recommend 4, since it fits with the current cast) and timing? Will we pair together characters like Sheik and Diddy or will it be a more even spread of characters?

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
1. Ambiguity is sometimes good, in situations where they're not directly important at all but people want to give that "opinion" anyway.

2. People come from previous games and while a few months into the meta now should mean most people are used to the differences, it's still something that can be heavily drawn upon. Sheik was bottom of mid tier in Brawl and lost to everyone good (although not too badly), now she's top tier and dominates; why?

4. i'll tell you what's relevant~ Oh but seriously, it's pretty obvious because chances are you've come across those characters in tournament (remember, this is about competitive play). If your character loses to something 'random' or has an obscene advantage somewhere, that's relevant.

6. "Ideally" isn't what's happening right now. I don't like pretending certain things aren't the main focus. Within the next week or month you'll be probably seeing most tournaments with customs attempting to adopt AA's system, and if they don't, they'll be the odd ones out with organisers already looking at finalising bookings/rulesets for major tournaments in the summer season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom