• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I wonder if Abadango knows sonic and falcon can do that. He would have had to rely primarily on trampoline for stage control (which is fine considering falcon's landing options when coming down on pacman's invincible utilt).

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Eh...He can stall with Down-B or come from the side and do a landing U-Air for significant frame advantage. I don't think Pac-Man stops him as well as most characters; Falcon's too flexible.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
But can't we Bair him if he tries to stall on the trampoline? Also, for him to cross us up with a uair, he has to go over our heads and face the risk of meeting our uair juggles.
I agree that he isn't as easy for Pac-Man to cheese out as most characters, but he's still in a disadvantageous position whenever he touches that trampoline.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
It depends on the spacing, but he could Down-B on the edge closest to you (assuming you're not directly in the center) and the trampoline will teleport him backward into the center of it, for instance. Things like that. Trampoline is a great tool for dealing with grounded opponents and forcing people to jump, but you have to be proactive about your offense/defense at that point; I think it's a bit overrated as a reactive defensive tool.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
It depends on the spacing, but he could Down-B on the edge closest to you (assuming you're not directly in the center) and the trampoline will teleport him backward into the center of it, for instance. Things like that. Trampoline is a great tool for dealing with grounded opponents and forcing people to jump, but you have to be proactive about your offense/defense at that point; I think it's a bit overrated as a reactive defensive tool.
True, you can't exactly let the trampoline do the work for you. It's more for disruption and putting the opponent in an uncomfortable position. What you follow up with isn't autopilot.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Another clone of Marth to be underwhelming, oh boy how exciting.
I know you guys love to talk about trampoline forcing aerial approaches, but what about characters that have decent/good options on shield when landing, like Sheik's spaced Fair or to a lesser extent Ness' Bair?
Walk backwards....shoot with Ryu coming in no excuse now not to whiff punish everything....
Or just flipping trade with it, sheiks damage per hit is booty cheeks. A forced jump is in Pacs favor presuming sheik isnt camping him lol.

Last edited:

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
This is all part of Sakurai's plan to forcibly marry the FGC and Smash community... I predict Mario as SF5 DLC.

Djent

Smash Champion
Here's my stab at S- & A-Tier for both metas. Groups are ordered within, but it's not that significant.
Disclaimer: I'm bad at Smash, so you might not want to bother reading this, but w/e I'm bored.

Customs-OFF
S :4sheik:
A+ :4zss::4pikachu::4sonic::4fox::4falcon::4luigi:
A :4diddy::rosalina::4ness::4yoshi::4metaknight:
A- :4wario::4villager::4rob::4mario::4pit::4darkpit:

Customs-ON
S :4pikachu::4sheik:
A+ :4sonic::4fox::4miibrawl::rosalina::4falcon::4zss:
A :4villager::4wario::4mario::4diddy:
A- :4luigi::4ness::4yoshi::4metaknight::4palutena::4myfriends:

Explanations:
:4sheik: The strongest character across metas. I'm pretty sure she loses solidly to Pika with customs on (it's evenish in default) and Sonic either way, but she's just too dominant against the rest of the cast for those MUs to lower her ranking.
:4pikachu: The Yellow Satan. Possibly still underrated in vanilla by some, and absolutely borked once customs come into play. I consider the Pikachu MU the defining aspect of the customs meta, even more so than Sheik.
:4sonic: Retained a lot of silliness despite his nerfs, and to sweeten the deal his best Spin Dash variant remained untouched. I was tempted to put him in S with customs on, but I don't think he invalidates many characters as good/flexible as he is.
:4zss: I have her as #2 with customs off, but this is more so by process of elimination than anything else. She can handle anything that comes her way, and only moves down because other characters get stupider. Which brings us to...
:4fox: He's already good and actually gains new projectile and KO options via customs. Out of the high-tier grouping, he's the character I'd feel most comfortable picking against custom Pikachu, which definitely weighs heavily into his position.
:4falcon: I wasn't a big believer in Falcon until recently, when players I didn't recognize started coming out of nowhere and wrecking face with him. I feel kind of bad for not recognizing his potency sooner. I also no longer think Pika destroys him.
:rosalina: She's really good, especially with customs. But the fact that Luma will die eventually (especially post-nerf) means that she can't maintain oppressive states forever. This distinguishes her from the other top characters and bars her from S-Tier.
:4luigi: I believe in vanilla Luigi. With customs on, too many characters get stupid early kills and/or ways to wall him out that make him miserable. He'll remains good, but I can't see him remaining in the top grouping while gaining little.
:4diddy: A "fair" character in more sense than one. :shades: I think more people should start taking Rocketbarrel Attack in customs. Yeah it makes his recovery iffy (it's otherwise quite good, actually) but he needs it to stay relevant in 50%-kill-land.
:4miibrawl: The Fist Of God, proclaimed by some to be the best in the game despite the fact that his best move is less flexible than Heavy Skull Bash. I think he's definitely a top-5 contender, but he doesn't belong in S-Tier where true titans reside.
:4villager: His ledge-camping strategy is amazing vs. most of the cast, but the fact that two strong characters can completely shut them down (Pika and Palutena, for those wondering) limits its utility. Fortunately, he's still very solid playing normally.
:4wario: "He can fart to fly around," but he no longer has to thanks to his custom bike! I think he matches up pretty well vs. the characters above him, and customs are (relatively) kind to him, so A-/A tier it is.
:4ness: A good character with few horrible MUs who gains little from customs. I think he does respectably vs. Pikachu (customs off), but probably loses hard to Rosalina (customs on). He's not even a candidate for top 5 though guys, wtf? :psycho:
:4mario: I am a believer in customs-Mario. In default, I kind of agree with Gheb that he's a bit overrated. The buffs he gains to his Avatar powers are really noticeable, especially with Scalding FLUDD (moves that combine fire and water are good).
:4yoshi: I'm still not seeing the magic with this character, although I do think he's still quite good. It seems like most people either think he's ridiculous or think he's super overrated. I think I've settled somewhere in the middle due to uncertainty.
:4metaknight: The prophecy has been fulfilled: victory is his destiny. I think he loses a little bit of potency in customs, only because silly death combos become a lot more common, and so ability to confirm them off of stray hits (Pika...) becomes central.
:4rob: I think R.O.B. is very good, but I also think 1) the early game is kinder to his archetype, which possibly inflates his results, and 2) you don't want to be large in a meta infested with infinites and long combos. At least his recovery gets buffed.
:4palutena: The Heavenly Ho has some devastating tricks, including some gimmicks which would be S-Tier on a more solid character base. But she's just so linear that I can't justify ranking her higher in spite of her potency.
:4pit:/:4darkpit: Like R.O.B., they're fundamentally solid characters. This is enough to sneak them into the A-ranks if customs are off. But when they're on, the game suddenly becomes more Marvelesque while these guys are playing Street Fighter.
:4myfriends: I think Ike will surprise people who don't understand how he works in this game. He's kind of out-of-place style-wise, but I think his MU spread is good. IMO he boasts one of the only advantages vs. Pika in customs, which is a big deal.

Changes:
Fixed spoilers and other formatting.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
ROB definitely moves up from customs; the faster up-b makes his beep-boop more reliable, which is huge.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
WAAAAAY to early to tell.
I think that of the characters that will be released tomorrow, Lucas has the best shot at a decent meta. That's really because some Ness mains were just Lucas mains in waiting.

But the chars without clear and obvious viability from the very start will not really be practiced. Case in point, there are no notable Mewtwo players.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
I just hope they fixed his dash attack's nonexistent hitbox.

Also if his Dtilt still combos into everything that's gonna be pretty fun. And imagine the ****storm if Roy gets short hop double Fair lol.

Oh and yeah, I can't say for the others but as I said I'm confident Lucas will be good. We know his Dthrow is good, we know he won't get grab released and we know how good Ness is. Though, Fox is good and Falco isn't that great... Meh, I'm still pretty confident Lucas will be viable.

Last edited:

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
I think that of the characters that will be released tomorrow, Lucas has the best shot at a decent meta. That's really because some Ness mains were just Lucas mains in waiting.

But the chars without clear and obvious viability from the very start will not really be practiced. Case in point, there are no notable Mewtwo players.
Only time will tell, but I see what you're saying. See, with Mewtwo EVERYONE was like: I'm going to main Mewtwo! Even if he sucks I'll make him work!
But that never happened because he's flawed by design, like you said.
What made Lucas so mediocre in Brawl? Grab releases. Marth gave Lucas hell in that game because of the extra 10 frames. It was a nearly impossible matchup to win. Other characters had shenanigans on him too, like Wario. But that's gone now. With that, however, comes the inevitable removal of Zap jumping. But that's no big deal thanks to the new ledge mechanics giving most characters a much better recovery.
What else... I don't think Nair is safe on sheild anymore, based on the trailer. We don't know if D-throw still KOs but a kill throw would be nice considering he has a risky tether grab. Considering there are like no semi-spikes in this game I doubt side magnet will be a viable KO option. That's all I got for now.
So are Roy and Ryu coming out tomorrow?

Zelder

Smash Journeyman
I think we can safely assume Lucas has a kill throw. It seems to be a characteristic of Smash4 that psychic characters get killing throws.

edit: and non-psychic characters get their killing throws nerfed!

Last edited:

Cassio

Smash Master
@ Cassio Cassio I forgot about the rodent. He definitely doesn't really seem to have much that holds him back either although I don't think he's as strong as ZSS (but he could still be a better overall character). I will still maintain mild pessimism towards him; if it wasn't for up tilt or back air being ludicrously hard to beat / avoid I wouldn't think he's that great at all. As a character that seems to want to put himself in the air for trapping/safety and for sneaky approaching, other characters abilities to KEEEL him for it should get better over time.
lol, well I wasnt tryin to talk about pikachu I was just wondering what you though Sheiks and ZSS's MU charts were since you brought them up.

I do think pika hasnt really earned his place up top in terms of his gameplay yet though, but that just assessing his tools and what isnt being used yet its easy to see how that could happen (from my perspective). I also dont think pikachu really wants to be in the air too much, or rather his ground presence is just overall stronger, but since his metagame still has Brawl hangover his ground hasnt been fully developed

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Look, I know there's a crapton of awesome things announced or leaked and there's one day left before Lucas and potentially, Roy and Ryu coming out, but please refrain from speculating until they're actually out and people have some experience with them.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
how the **** can down throw be a kill throw oh my god
Technically, Falco, Sheik, and I think someone's D-throw kills by stage spiking Captain Falcon near the ledge, but you have to be at the right place near the ledge and it only works on like Captain Falcon and maybe someone else.

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Didn't Wolf Dthrow sort of kill early as well at the ledge of the map? I remember using it a lot since it sends your opponent at a terrible recovery range.

Oh! Charizard Dthrow is a Kill Throw I believe in Smash 4.

Edit: Ninja'D by FireFox.

Last edited:

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
Didn't Wolf Dthrow sort of kill early as well at the ledge of the map? I remember using it a lot since it sends your opponent at a terrible recovery range.

Oh! Charizard Dthrow is a Kill Throw I believe in Smash 4.

Edit: Ninja'D by FireFox.
I can confirm both of those.
Wolf's Dthrow in Brawl was a semi spike so it was really awesome. If anyone had it in this game it'd pretty much kill Little Mac without having to edgeguard.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Well there is one thing that is much easier to speculate on: Dreamland 64.

I for one am not going to like having to deal with this stage. Not because its a bad inclusion, but because I cannot see Meta Knight performing well on it. Blast zones are huge, unless they have been adjusted.

Last edited:

Noa.

Smash Master
In brawl Lucas's kill throw killed at around 140%. I'd expect similar percents in this game.

Ness in the transition from brawl to this game improved significantly, but it was because of changes around him. More hitstun allowed for more combos which he could capitalize off of well. Removing edge hogging helped Ness tremendously. Removing grab release infinites and shenanigans from him helped take away some polarizing matchups. And the fact that disjointed hitboxes and aerials were overall nerfed compared to brawl was nice since they were such a huge weakness for Ness. All of these environmental changes helped Ness so much, and I imagine they would do the same for Lucas. If they don't change him too drastically he'll probably be decent. We'll see.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
I rather have Fountain of Dream back. It would have look amazing on the Wii U. And the Music... Please Sakurai bring back the Music!

Firefoxx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefoxx200
3DS FC
1821-9385-9105
I rather have Fountain of Dream back. It would have look amazing on the Wii U. And the Music... Please Sakurai bring back the Music!
the song is on dreamland 64

DL64 will be a nice stage to balance out all the low ceilings in this game, just sucks its so similar to the other high ceiling stage.

Last edited:

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
We are turning into a social thread people. Until confirmed by Sakurai himself and we see LEGIT game play or is mass released, can we calm down a bit? I admit that I'm excited for this too, but we gotta stick to our thread topic and analyze CURRENT and PALPABLE characters at hand. Until they are mass released, we should quell the talks of the unreleased and go to the social threads.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as a party pooper, but that's how I see it.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Fair enough. What is wrong Shulk? Since Launch, people initally thought he was pretty amazing but now he sort of fell off the map. I mean he is a technical character due to his range yet slow movements. However, with proper Monoda Art managing he should be going places.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Fair enough. What is wrong Shulk? Since Launch, people initally thought he was pretty amazing but now he sort of fell off the map. I mean he is a technical character due to his range yet slow movements. However, with proper Monoda Art managing he should be going places.
I think Shulk's main issue is that he commits significantly to practically any approach he has. Speed and Jump mitigate this somewhat, and Buster helps a lot with his shield safety, but for the most part shielding beats Shulk's direct approaches.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
We are turning into a social thread people. Until confirmed by Sakurai himself and we see LEGIT game play or is mass released, can we calm down a bit? I admit that I'm excited for this too, but we gotta stick to our thread topic and analyze CURRENT and PALPABLE characters at hand. Until they are mass released, we should quell the talks of the unreleased and go to the social threads.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as a party pooper, but that's how I see it.
Considering there was a short live twitch stream that showed the three characters... (I only got to see the Lucas and Roy parts)

Roy confirmed to be Luigified. About on par with Luigi compared to Mario in Melee or maybe even less, but there were some noticeable differences.

Also, Lucas Usmash spammers confirmed to be returning. Hope you all enjoyed FG while it lasted, because it still hits like a truck.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Considering there was a short live twitch stream that showed the three characters... (I only got to see the Lucas and Roy parts)

Roy confirmed to be Luigified. About on par with Luigi compared to Mario in Melee or maybe even less, but there were some noticeable differences.

Also, Lucas Usmash spammers confirmed to be returning. Hope you all enjoyed FG while it lasted, because it still hits like a truck.
Were they good changes? Like, is he faster in the air?

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Shulk is still a really fundamental based character like Pit/Marth/Ike. You can M-arte cancel all you want, you're still playing Mid-range at the end of the day, and throwing out all your **** just to cancel it when you have 10/15s CD's on it and going deeper into the arte pull to cancel is still a time commitment that can be tacked onto your already 13+ start-up on aerials.
That hyper artes hype is going to die. All 3 of the artes have their problems and benefits, Decisive has the best advantage:disadvantage ratio per stance,but that flipping inability to swap also means you're committed it, otherwise it ****s on the other two easily. Monado art canceling, stance swapping, its all to aid that the advantage: disadvantage ratios are kind of booty. Hyper would be amazing...but it lasts 6 seconds with 15s cooldowns. The artes are fairly balanced within themselves. If someone wants to play a technical Shulk they can sure ahead and try but Monado art canceling in itself is situational.

I've got 6 seconds in Hyper buster....when hyper buster does 9% more damage then Decisive buster and takes 19.4% more damage. with 15s downtime on the arte. Basic **** like spacing is hard, shulk has 3/5 stances that change his movement and 4/5 that change his safety on shield, in some respects 5/5 since Jump Fast-falls faster then Vanilla, you'll have to keep that all in your (sub)consciousness as Shulk.

Almost no one exceptional at the game is really interested in dealing with all the spacing requirements of Shulk in tandem with his poor CQC, who has the time?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom