• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chainchoking

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
Or tell them before, and plant that little mental seed so that you can KNOW which way they'll go. Hehe. Mindgames outside of the actual game.

:034:

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Alright well unfortunately I didn't get to play much Vbrawl, since we were at Kirk's house and he pretty much MADE Brawl-... so yeah we were playing Brawl- instead.

But I found a disturbing revelation... My sunglasses trick worked, but unfortunately, it worked TOO well. If you start chainchoking your opponent 4-5 times each time you choke them, they WILL get suspicious and start doing things to hide their actions, such as inputting multiple actions to throw you off. This happened with every person I fought lol.

So although my results were unexpected, I found one thing is useful: never go overboard when you're trying to chainchoke. If you need to score a KO after a choke, then THAT is when you should look at your opponent's controller. In fact, I'm pretty sure that I'm NEVER going to try to chain choke if I have a guaranteed followup, so that when I flame choke at KO %, they won't do anything to throw me off and I'll get an easy KO.

Moblin

Smash Apprentice
Hmmmm, sounds like we learned a lot today! LOL, I guess people aren't that gullible to think that ganon main is just a super psychic.

That's really funnny, but yeah, you're right. Using this to get the KO move would probably work best!

Although, how were they hiding their inputs without actually covering the controllers? Doesn't whatever they have buffered happen immediately after the flame choke?

Hobs

Smash Journeyman
Alright well unfortunately I didn't get to play much Vbrawl, since we were at Kirk's house and he pretty much MADE Brawl-... so yeah we were playing Brawl- instead.

But I found a disturbing revelation... My sunglasses trick worked, but unfortunately, it worked TOO well. If you start chainchoking your opponent 4-5 times each time you choke them, they WILL get suspicious and start doing things to hide their actions, such as inputting multiple actions to throw you off. This happened with every person I fought lol.

So although my results were unexpected, I found one thing is useful: never go overboard when you're trying to chainchoke. If you need to score a KO after a choke, then THAT is when you should look at your opponent's controller. In fact, I'm pretty sure that I'm NEVER going to try to chain choke if I have a guaranteed followup, so that when I flame choke at KO %, they won't do anything to throw me off and I'll get an easy KO.
The thing is, won't they do the same thing when they notice they're at kill % and you get them every time? It'll work when it's just some random person you've never played before, though.

Superspright

Smash Lord
The thing is, won't they do the same thing when they notice they're at kill % and you get them every time? It'll work when it's just some random person you've never played before, though.
The only thing that matters in this game is kills. They probably won't catch on until it happens 2 maybe 3 times. That's a game right there.

NNID
Budget_Player

Hey DLA, you are awesome, what do you think of B- ganon

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
DLA you just made my day.

That is ****ing brilliant, and I'm going to implement that for easy kills.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Haha, great, DLA. "Peeking" is the shiit. (Or at least DAD and I used to call it that)
One good thing is that even if ppl notice you're peeking, you still have an advantage.
They will lose a lot of concentration and sort of hide their inputs.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
I really don't think anyone will notice that you correctly predict them every time at KO %. They'll just be amazed at how good you are. I'm not even joking lol, since I'm already excellent at KOing people out of flame chokes, and I've never been accused of looking at someone's controller in my life. They just account it to me being good at predicting.

I'm pretty sure that people will only be suspicious if you do something that is very improbable, such as correctly chainchoking almost every single time.

GanonkingAbyss

Smash Apprentice
im just wondering, if there was some1 who happend to master chainchoking, with absolutely no mistakes and rechoked everytime then the opponent will eventually just roll toward the edge to get out. but im wondering if putting the on the ledge is a good position for u, what can u do there, should u try a uair, bair or dair, or what do u do to predict them when they attempt to get on the ledge and what would the safest options be?

TP

Smash Master
Most of the time, for them to reach near enough the ledge to reach it upon the next choke, they have to do a small roll first. As in, they do a roll toward the edge, but the roll gets stopped short because they reach the edge. When that happens, just Fsmash because they will still be in range of it.

@HomE

Smash Ace
#1 Breezy that genius, as if ChainChoking were already mind ****, calling out their inputs while you **** them would be overwhelming.

#2 DLA, i love that someone is finally using this new "technique", I REALLY like the idea of doing it only for KO Techchases.

now we just need to find an easy way to land Gerudo....

Judo777

Smash Master
i dont think u guys even to worry as much about them being on the ledge the thing that makes this great is if done right yea it can be ended once they eventually roll to the ledge. But the thing is they have to get out while also not being predictable. If they roll away everytime to get out ur gonna kill them for it cause u cant be predictable against ganon.

TP

Smash Master
I love choking warios; they float down to the way they are DIing.
Pretty much every character does; it's the main thing I use when deciding what to do.

Wow I remember this. :p
Yeah, good times. This was from back when we thought Ganon might not be the worst character, and we were trying to improve his metagame. We really don't do that anymore. :(

@HomE

Smash Ace
dont we have a grab release -> Fsmash or spike or something on wario?

**** chain choking him, we get ***** by EVERYONE if they play gay, lets be gay ourselves.... eh?

gay as in, playing gay..

Bahamut777

Smash Ace
dont we have a grab release -> Fsmash or spike or something on wario?
Grab Release -> 100% guaranteed buffered FSmash.

Man... this is what I like MOST out of Ganon's MU Mad Tricks. :)

Hey.
Like the sunglasses, I think that we CAN be a little... "less sportsman" due to our character's problems. Like screaming on an IC player's ear to avoid ******. I do this quite often around here and it works miracles! =D
People usually don't complain about it because "You're playing Ganon... you have reasons to do that!".

What else can we do offgame to avoid ****?

Breezy

Smash Ace
Something I recently found fun is to yell "BYAHHHHHHH" as loud as i can whenever I land a good hit. Someone told me it scares them when they hear me inhale when they are close to me, because they know a scream is coming.

It's quite comical actually.

Bahamut777

Smash Ace
Oh! I always do that on my last stock when I deal the ending blow!
I yell "UAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!" like I was WPunching!
Very good intimidation matter. :)

@HomE

Smash Ace
i remember watching a video of someone who would scream super loud everytime an IC started a chaingrab, i thought it was the funniest thing ever.... really just brilliant..

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
i remember watching a video of someone who would scream super loud everytime an IC started a chaingrab, i thought it was the funniest thing ever.... really just brilliant..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik2G9i2OHzY

If it weren't for the fact that people playing other matches would get really annoyed by the screaming, I would agree that it's simply brilliant.

Ganondorf does have a guaranteed F-smash out of grab release for Wario, as well as all of his aerials. Land a Gerudo on Wario and then tech chase into grab release for awesomeness.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Ganondorf does have a guaranteed F-smash out of grab release for Wario, as well as all of his aerials. Land a Gerudo on Wario and then tech chase into grab release for awesomeness.
Or grab release > stomp, then tech chase again for extra juiciness

Clai

Smash Lord
I'm currently working on a video that might help in preparing for get-up attacks and how to deal with them so that we wouldn't have to worry about them when chainchoking. I don't know what the frame data is for get-up attacks, but it'd be helpful to know which ones you can choke out of powershield.

As a preview, Charizard gets wrecked by powershielding his GUA. With its terrible rolls, we should be able to pile up massive amounts of damage out of one Flame Choke. Oh the possibilities!

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Or grab release > stomp, then tech chase again for extra juiciness
My favorite is Grab release > unplug their controller.

Huh. So that's how it's supposed to look. Oh wow, Clai, that looks really interesting. I'm gonna start practicing that now. =D

Bahamut777

Smash Ace
I watched Clai's both videos. If you can keep the 'beat' of the powershield in your mind during the match, it can be very usefull! =D

But, since I play with my headphones on... =/

TP

Smash Master
If we could somehow convince M2K to learn that, he could probably win tourneys with Ganon.

Hobs

Smash Journeyman
I watched Clai's both videos. If you can keep the 'beat' of the powershield in your mind during the match, it can be very usefull! =D

But, since I play with my headphones on... =/
It probably isn't like the IC chaingrabs where you can do that. They're not likely to do the get up attack more than once or twice. It makes the choke part less of a beat and more of just a catalyst sound.

fonzi21

Smash Ace

Lol resorting to looking at people's controller? If you really wanted this trick to work you shouldn't have posted it online. Kinda funny that you are resorting to this instead of actually being able to read people's getup's and or reacting to them. Instead of doing this, look for patterns in their movements and use mental conditioning. You don't have to Chainchoke someone 8-9 times for it to be effective. 2-3 usually works.

It's simple to avoid your controller being looked at, and if I know you do it I will avoid it, and if you start to rely on that instead of your abilities then well your not going to improve. But it's your decision. Also once people figure out that's what your doing they will no longer have respect for your choking abilities, and you will be laughed at..

I realize it is playing to win, and do what you feel is necessary.

fonzi21

Smash Ace
why all the hate between Fonz and DLA?
It is directed at anyone who looks at controllers. Overswarm tries to do it to me all the time during Metaknights Dthrow. It's simple to avoid. DLA was just a prime example because he posted saying he has done it.

I have no hatred for DLA or anyone. DLA is a good Ganon and I would hate to see his abilities fade because he became dependent on looking at players controllers.

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord
It is directed at anyone who looks at controllers. Overswarm tries to do it to me all the time during Metaknights Dthrow. It's simple to avoid. DLA was just a prime example because he posted saying he has done it.

I have no hatred for DLA or anyone. DLA is a good Ganon and I would hate to see his abilities fade because he became dependent on looking at players controllers.
he was just trying it out as a joke/humor thing. I'm sure he didn't mean for it to become a permanent aspect of his gameplay lmao

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh

Well I understand what you're saying, but it's not like I'm ever going to "replace" my tech chasing and reading skills with looking at my opponent's controller. I'm excellent at reading my opponents already, and I that wouldn't change even if I started looking at my opponent's controller.

Think of it this way... you're a professional poker player sitting at a table at a tournament. You became a pro because of your skill at reading your opponent's "tells" and predicting their bluffs and such. However, the guy sitting next to you is doing a poor job of covering his cards, and you can see which cards he has every time he checks. Should you just follow some misplaced sense of "honor" and ignore his cards?

The answer is no, because it would be silly. You spent money to enter this tournament, and you want to get something in return. You're not cheating if he shows you his cards; you're just taking advantage of your opponent's mistakes.

oh and edit: there's no hate, trust me XD I'll see you at the showdown, right Fonz?

Divilenta

Smash Journeyman
Clai, those videos were amazing. I had no clue you could actually powershield all getup attacks...well, except Kirby and Lucario but that's easy to handle. Nice, I might have to try to get the timing down.

Clai

Smash Lord
YOU DO NOT HAVE CONTROL OVER THE ESSENCES OF LIFE AND DEATH WHEN YOU ARE IN GANONDORF'S PRESENCE! GANONDORF TRANSCENDS ALL THAT IS LIVING AND ALL THAT IS DEAD!

Ahem. That was not the reason I'm bumping this thread. This is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wpm0l8jmR9Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_Ej8viyOtg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0MmTHNa3fQ

EDIT: All parts of the video are up now. There is one other thing that I will be doing regarding my Art of Chainchoking topic before I go into the outward and inward rolls. Be sure to check it out.

Top Bottom