• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

DUB

Smash Lord
Cactaur- When Fox is nair shining and all that shenanigans on my shield, what are some options I have? I played a much higher level Fox player this weekend the times i rolled out his approach he would be back on my shield quickly. I would fair/nair OoS when I could but most of the time it was just suffocating pressure. I've seen you wavedash OoS and F-smash. How good does this work?

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
That works, plus you can just lightshield with one trigger and just keep tapping the other trigger.

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
I DI both sticks in.

Normally that gets me out of the dair. Just make sure your not double sticking that way when they Realize to bair you.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
they made 5000000 variations of the cactuar.
cactuar
cactuer
qactuar
kactuar
cactoid

origionally, it was cactrot...... ask me how? i do not know

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
Is randomly pivot fmashing a smart move? ._.
(with randomly I mean being able to do it consistently and using it as a mindgame)

AustinRC

Smash Lord
If you use it learn to be able to space tippered pivot fsmash. Even if it hits the sheild the stun is to long for them to punish you. If they dodge your ****ed and if they get hit by it their ****ed. Sooooo yeah. *I pivot a lot soooooooo yeah*

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Anything is baitable and punishable, but you'd probably land pivot smashes on me 100% of the time anyway since I smell bad at this game.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Is randomly pivot fmashing a smart move? ._.
(with randomly I mean being able to do it consistently and using it as a mindgame)
It can be, as long as you make it seem like you are trying to retreat or gain space, otherwise it becomes a regular old Fsmash to your opponent and the fact that you pivoted only makes you a douche lol.

just be careful wit the Fsmash in general, Its not hard to punish but well spaced ones can be rewarding.

TPoint1BUA

Smash Cadet
Anyone have some little tech tricks with marth/things that look cool?

For example, moonwalk to aerial or edgehog. (Looks awesome =D)
Nair spam
Dash forward/backward and wavedash the opposite direction like a mofo.
Edge Canceling aerials (Especially sexy if the first aerial is moonwalked into)
Ledge hop neutral B -> regrab edge.

My favorite : Moonwalked dair edge cancel to neutral b edguard.

Sabotender Sabotender Sabotender

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Anyone have some little tech tricks with marth/things that look cool?

For example, moonwalk to aerial or edgehog. (Looks awesome =D)
Nair spam
Dash forward/backward and wavedash the opposite direction like a mofo.
Edge Canceling aerials (Especially sexy if the first aerial is moonwalked into)
Ledge hop neutral B -> regrab edge.

My favorite : Moonwalked dair edge cancel to neutral b edguard.

Sabotender Sabotender Sabotender
ummm these are the only ones

Tiamat27

Smash Rookie
ummm these are the only ones
Nah.

In middle of fair combo, predict if they're going to try to jump out or out priority you and then instead of continuing the combo, just waveland and charge up an FSmash. (bonus points of you waveland onto a platform with a full jump).
For some reason I like the backflip animation when you ledgehop starting backwards then go forwards onto the stage.
There's of course u-throw -> reverse fair ken combo on spacies at I believe low hundreds.
Also buffered angled shield is faster out of dtilt than normal buffered shield.

Tons of other stuff.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
I have a question about a combo and whether it is worthwhile to go for.

Particularly. against floaties it is possible to combo rising full jump Fair to double jump dair. this actually combos on floaties in lots of places where the short hop fair does not. In particular jiggs pretty much can always avoid attempts at ken comboing unless you get either an inside fair or do this. However, I am questioning whether it is worthwhile so I was hoping some people with experience using it could discuss it. Particularly it's used against opponents that are grounded therefore there is a risk that you will miss and be high in the air making it much more risky to go for than a regular fair...it combos well though; i don't think it's worth it as much on peach because it's pretty easy to ken combo peach if they miss a DI anyways..

Stratford

Smash Champion
It seems to me if Puff is at low enough percent to still be in range for the dair after a fair, she might survive the spike anyway. Sounds good for Peach.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I have a question about a combo and whether it is worthwhile to go for.

Particularly. against floaties it is possible to combo rising full jump Fair to double jump dair. this actually combos on floaties in lots of places where the short hop fair does not. In particular jiggs pretty much can always avoid attempts at ken comboing unless you get either an inside fair or do this. However, I am questioning whether it is worthwhile so I was hoping some people with experience using it could discuss it. Particularly it's used against opponents that are grounded therefore there is a risk that you will miss and be high in the air making it much more risky to go for than a regular fair...it combos well though; i don't think it's worth it as much on peach because it's pretty easy to ken combo peach if they miss a DI anyways..
Marth can combo into dair from fair at like any combination.(short hops ful hopsl)

You can do rising fairs to dj dairs. It really just depends on how the DI the fair. Sometimes they put themselves in a spot where you can hit that tipper dair, sometimes you get a non tipper dair, or they DI far enough away to avoid the hit entirely. Either way connecting with the dair is pretty safe cuz you may be able to follow up after a non tippered dair or retreat if you have to. If you miss they probably have a little space so you should use it to escape and reapproach.

Roche_CL

Smash Journeyman
umm, doing full jump is ok, if they try to go for something, you just make your double jump and wait.
i like doing it:
Fthrow->full jump rising Fair -> Dair, if they DI into you

well, if the opponent knows how to play marth, he will hardly get into any combos, thats the matchups of marth against floaties :/
thats why i prefer going sheik/fox/falcon, its more entertaining xO

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
i'm pretty sure rising full jump fair is ten times more likely to ken combo..it's possible to DI out with maybe full DI away, but it's not easy. Think about where you're hitting for a second. With a sh fair you hit with the tip of your blade that is farthest from you horizontally, but when doing the full jump you are hitting with the part of the blade that is angled 45' down from your position, this basically means you are tipping them while closer to their position in actuality and thus even with slight DI they will not get out of the dair, when they would get out of the SH version.

Thus my dilemma, because full jumps are more risky but also more likely to land that spike. part of me remembers seeing ken land one in a marth vs peach match a long time ago, but the other part of me remembers that very few marths seem to full jump much..so i dunno

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i know you can't nair regrab ledge, but nair has auto cancel after frame 26 (i forget how many frames the move is total) so you might be able to.

cactuar, can you give some tips on using usmash? what % can u uthrow->usmash sweetspot if they dont DI? are there any other good lead-ins (eg, uair->usmash)? does usmash lead into combos better than utilt?

DUB

Smash Lord
Not really a combo or anything but, a lot of people don't tech the U-smash if they are hit to the side. It's a free jab reset most of the time.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
Lately after watching some videos of M2K's marth, I've been wondering if you can pivot grab in melee like you can in brawl? I see a lot of M2K running forward then immediately grabbing in the opposite direction, without dash dancing, however. Second question is, when performing an OoS attack, such as Dair OoS, is it advised to just jump while holding the L or R button or let go of the L or R button before jumping and doing the attack?

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
Cactuar I've picked up a tactic new to me.

While chainthrowing spacies at pivot grab percent, Usmash them. It will hit with the very weak hit. Most of the time spacies won't tech it because its unorthodox. Jab reset, grab, and repeat chainthrow.

Its too much ****

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
I try not to use gimmicky things... I just stick with either uthrow dthrow fsmash/tech chase or uthrow utilt/uairs.

Any fun use of upsmash is entertaining though. :laugh:

Top Bottom