• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

D

Deleted member

FD: I find it too hard to kill Peach here. I suppose you could space her out/try to keep her above you til she's at like 150+, but this is a pain. Meanwhile, her combos are not insignificant. Makes me think of M2K vs. Armada, but maybe PP's more patient style is the way to go on a stage like this. I don't know. Mixed feelings.
you should discard any concept of "style", it's a terrible idea that allows justification of suboptimal decision-making.

for peach, you should ban DL64 and CP her to FD or PS. I would take FD first unless the peach has a particularly good turnip game, in which case PS might be better.

i mean basically she's going to ban one against you anyway so just take the other.

edit: absolutely do not take her to BF. it's easily her second best stage in this MU.

AustinRC

Smash Lord
Umbreon, would you mind elaborating on why BF is her second best stage against Marth? Not agreeing or disagreeing I'd just like to know your reasoning behind that.

:phone:

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Yoshis
Stadium
FD
FoD
Battlefield
Dreamland

Somethin like that. I strike DL and BF usually.

Stadium v FD is a really tough choice though. Stadium is slightly better stage v stage, but the risk of a stitch/bomb is really annoying. Killing with uairs and utilts at reasonable percentages is pretty ****ing baller tho.

BF sucks cause the platform heights are booty.

Diakonos

Smash Lord
Well fair only works like I said if you do it in the right positioning. If you give me your Skype account we can discuss it and ill show you what ranges I'm talking about through there. Or I could point then out to you during the GF set with PP and Armada.

I don't really use Skype, but sure, if you could point out timestamps for PP-Armada that would be great!
you should discard any concept of "style", it's a terrible idea that allows justification of suboptimal decision-making.

for peach, you should ban DL64 and CP her to FD or PS. I would take FD first unless the peach has a particularly good turnip game, in which case PS might be better.

i mean basically she's going to ban one against you anyway so just take the other.

edit: absolutely do not take her to BF. it's easily her second best stage in this MU.
I'm not so sure that we can rule out "style" altogether.

Different opponents play the same character differently. The "optimal" decision-making is contingent on that -- a response to their way of playing. I'm going to play differently vs. a campy Fox than vs. an aggro Fox. In that sense, my "style" of playing is going to depend on my opponent, so even if we assume we want "optimal" decision-making, that is going to entail playing in what we call different styles.

I cannot always assume that my opponent will be playing the "optimal" way to play her character, so what is optimal for me changes accordingly. My response to my opponent is what I call "style". And of course, you're assuming a monolithic approach to playing each character. I have my doubts here, too.

I don't like BF either, but what are your reasons for saying it's her second best stage?

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
Hey could anyone give me the quick and dirty on the neutral game in the fox match up? I have my first tournament tomorrow and for some reason the neutral in this match up really confuses me.

.Chipmunk.

Smash Ace
Hey could anyone give me the quick and dirty on the neutral game in the fox match up? I have my first tournament tomorrow and for some reason the neutral in this match up really confuses me.
Look for grabs, bait spot dodges, don't get grabbed, space your attacks well, overshoot nair, get him off stage, edge guard.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Well, I assume you suggest overshoot nair to catch their dash away, but dtilt is a lot safer for poking in terms of range. And nair is subject to SDI that will make it not as effective. And it has more lag.

D

Deleted member

Umbreon, would you mind elaborating on why BF is her second best stage against Marth? Not agreeing or disagreeing I'd just like to know your reasoning behind that.
The ideal for marth vs peach is to eliminate her options, shut her out of the game, and then kill her at your leisure. this is obviously not always possible, human error, etc. the longer peach lives, the more she has margin to take advantage of being alive to make trades with you and to make herself more relevant to the game.

if you want the short answer, it's the same as why it's a bad MU on DL64; she doesn't die, she's harder to pin, and retains her options better.

Armada was completely correct to CP kevin to DL64 and BF during their sets. Don't play that game. Ban those stages.

I'm not so sure that we can rule out "style" altogether.
"Style" is a vague and meaningless concept that is usually seen as a subset of specific actions used to describe an otherwise complex set of behaviors. These behaviors are based on your decision-making mid-match. In a competitive setting, there are only two types of decisions: the optimal decision, and mistakes. Everything that is not an optimal decision is a mistake regardless of the outcome.

Regarding some action as part of a style allows a player to justify some non-optimal decision in an acceptable manner. This is wrong, and you should stop doing it immediately. To perform an action based on sub-optimal judgment is to literally forfeit win percentage for no reason. Not that there is any good reason to forfeit any portion of your win ratio, but it's particularly offensive to do so willingly under poor justification. The sooner you abandon "style" and it's implicit stupidities, the better off you will be.

.Chipmunk.

Smash Ace
Well, I assume you suggest overshoot nair to catch their dash away, but dtilt is a lot safer for poking in terms of range. And nair is subject to SDI that will make it not as effective. And it has more lag.
AC nair only has landing lag. More than enough time to catch pretty much anything. When you dtilt, what do you follow it up with?

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
Also, when fighting fox, if he throws you offstage don't immediately jump or side b unless you plan to air dodge towards the stage after the jump. Fox eats that for breakfast.
Oh my god, my life. haha No wonder I kept getting shine spiked every single time. Thanks a bunch.

I thought someone posted this awhile back. Maybe KirbyKaze?... probably not. Anyway, they showed using the debug mode that the first hit of nair on a rising attack always will cause fox to miss the 2nd hit because he lands on the ground and ducks when doing so thus missing the 2nd hit.
When you dtilt, what do you follow it up with?
Depends. Nothing is really guaranteed, but its enough to give back the pace of the match to seek for another follow-up.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
AC nair only has landing lag. More than enough time to catch pretty much anything. When you dtilt, what do you follow it up with?
The dtilt isn't for the followup, but for the positional advantage of pushing them out of that section of the stage and closer to the edge. They have to respect your poke. It has the added benefit, again of being your faster option out of RUN that isn't grab (you can also run further to grab them, instead of dtilting, if they're dashing away).

Another thing about AC nair is that you're jumping before Fox does. Marth never wants to do that.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
You're really persistent about that.

Out of RUN, my fault.

I mean, you're right, misspeak on my part.

AustinRC

Smash Lord
If you want to get super technical about it then he was correct to begin with you can dtilt out of a dash by pivoting first.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
So I started to break down the Falcon matchup in order to gain a really in depth understanding of it. The biggest problem I have right now is mid percent combo starters on Falcon. It just seems like after easy tech chasing that is super effective vs. Falcon, there comes a point where you're forced to awkwardly combo him.

For example, up throwing him onto platforms like Battlefield and Dreamland and to an extent Yoshi's and Stadium force you to react with a weak hit like uair or nair which don't really lead into anything solid at mid percents. If you want to go for a tipper you have to guess essentially where they're going to be. You can react if you're close to where they are above you on the platform, but that means you're sacrificing being able to cover other options on the platform.

Also, I'm not sure the exact percents I can uthrow tipper Falcon on FD. Anyone got em off the top of their heads?

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Yeah, tipped fairs and uairs work great vs Falcon. It's not like it's "hard" to combo falcon, but i'm just looking for more reliable ways that Marth can set Falcon up into a combo at medium percents, taking into account platforms.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Sweet, thanks man.

Watched it. I.B. played great, but the area I'm looking to figure out in this matchup seemed completely unexplored to him. Maybe it's just not possible to get a guaranteed combo/combo starter/set up from up throw at mid percents.

Up throw up tilt I'm foggy on. I can't tell when it's going to hit and when it's not. When it does it's amazing, especially on FD. But if you miss, Falcon jumps out and is safe. I gotta figure out the percents it works on, as well as DI.

It's tricky because the lag from Marth's Uthrow on Falcon takes forever to end, making every up throw ---> "x" attempt on Falcon very tight timing.

Up throw Fsmash works too, but when I test it I can't get a consistent percent that it works at.

I have TAS, just not sure how to use it yet. Maybe I'll mess around with it and see what technically works and what does not.

Kadano

Magical Express
1. I've often read references to a certain post leffen made in / before April 2012 about powershielding with Marth vs. Falco, but I can't find it. Can someone give me a quote / link?

2. What are your thoughts on the Puff matchup? My personal guess from watching M2K's sets from a few years ago (which is sadly the only half-actual footage of high level play) is that it's 60-40 for Puff. I think that Marth has problems finding a safe spacing. What M2K used to do in a neutral setting (beginning of a match) was spamming a certain aerial routine with little variation mixed in (eg fulljump double fair -> sh ac nair -> ftilt, repeat; sometimes sh fair -> rejump double fair instead of fulljump double fair, dtilt instead of ftilt etc.), but Puff can get in between with a quick bair.
Marth's dd-wd-game doesn't work like against other characters because Puff has a wider spacing with her aerials than Marth. Puff also gets more from one hit, Marth only has fthrow-dashattack-upair at some percents and sometimes two of three fairs. He also can't get kills as fsmash and dsmash are too risky and also have no reliable setups (fthrow-fsmash can always be avoided by DIing down and away (even if Marth uses pivot perfectly) afaik; if Marth alternates with a dthrow, I'm sure Puff players can react quickly enough to DI accordingly). Puff is also much better at edgeguarding in this matchup imo.

@JesiahTEG: I'm honestly more concerned at the lower percent end about how to work Falcon's percents up since few of Marth's attacks will actually force Falcon to do anything you want until mid percents. So, I do not really see the issue with mid percents since that is when all of Marth's moves are actually going to be a good advantage. It sounds to me your too focused on getting the combo on Falcon when all you really need to do is carry him into an offstage position to get a kill.

Whether or not it directly leads into a guaranteed hit doesn't matter too much other than the move should force Falcon into a spot where he'll have to come past some sword swing of yours eventually. By midpercent, I usually start thinking of the 50%-70% range. Around there and higher Uthrow should combo into some move of Marth's whether it be Uair/Fair or Utilt. Afterwards, its a matter of forcing Falcon away from center stage and offstage (bair/nair/fair) where while you have to swat him away again and again, he will eventually die.

I just want a better method for low percents other than tech chase option since tech chase is slow to gain damage and imo much harder than timing a sword swing in the air.

MT_

Smash Ace
I'm fairly sure that at mid percents (40-65ish), if Falcon does side DI then he can be uthrow->fsmash'd or otherwise combo'd. However on no DI I feel like he can jump out.

Not 100% sure but this is what I've been observing from my recent experience vs Falcon. On no DI I usually wait for the double jump then juggle him afterwards, and I'm usually able to follow up directly on side DIs.

Diakonos

Smash Lord
I have a hard time getting Falcon off stage. Often they DI away and double jump to grab the edge for free.

I know, I can try to preempt by grabbing the edge but Marth often eats an uair in that situation.

AustinRC

Smash Lord
M2K made a post, I don't feel like finding but basically it goes like this. Once you throw Captain falcon off the edge wavedash off and fair or stay there and counter.

Roche_CL

Smash Journeyman
The most sad thing marth has in this matchup is the lag after throws, and also the combo food marth is xd. I think the laggs makes it so you won't have any garaunteed combos. I'm almost sure Marth can't Uthrow Fsmash, he can jump out of it.
I play the matchup throwing off the stage and Uthrowing when away from the edge. Combo starters are usually lucky Fairs that weren't crouch cancelled, and predicting approaches with Utilt (but thats kinda risky).

And well, there is a reason why m2k doesn't play this matchup =/

M2K made a post, I don't feel like finding but basically it goes like this. Once you throw Captain falcon off the edge wavedash off and fair or stay there and counter.
Some people don't like that approach. Reward is pretty great if you get it right, otherwise you leave it up to chance/read which is not always the best route.
I'm fairly sure that at mid percents (40-65ish), if Falcon does side DI then he can be uthrow->fsmash'd or otherwise combo'd. However on no DI I feel like he can jump out.
He is in the same amount of stun regardless of DI. If Fsmash can hit away DI, then Utilt can hit any other sort of DI in between. Only difference is that you need to sometimes turn to make sure you hit the tipper otherwise Falcon goes directly into the ground afterwards.
I have a hard time getting Falcon off stage. Often they DI away and double jump to grab the edge for free.

I know, I can try to preempt by grabbing the edge but Marth often eats an uair in that situation.
I'm sort of confused by this. Are you using Fthrow? That makes sense to see DI away and grab the ledge with 2nd jump. But, not if you are using Uthrow it doesn't.
The most sad thing marth has in this matchup is the lag after throws, and also the combo food marth is xd. I think the laggs makes it so you won't have any guaranteed combos. I'm almost sure Marth can't Uthrow Fsmash, he can jump out of it.
I play the matchup throwing off the stage and Uthrowing when away from the edge. Combo starters are usually lucky Fairs that weren't crouch cancelled, and predicting approaches with Utilt (but thats kinda risky).
The throws are only bad when you use the wrong ones at the wrong time. Dthrow/Fthrow are perfectly fine due to tech chasing at 0% into the mid percents and you can get guaranteed regrabs into more dthrow/fthrow pummels until he reaches a percent where Uthrow starts doing stuff. Normally around 50%, Falcon cannot jump out of anything anymore and will eat a move if you use the right one. Utilt misses completely on DI away, but can be caught by Fsmash or Fair if you dash at him.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, tipped fairs and uairs work great vs Falcon. It's not like it's "hard" to combo falcon, but i'm just looking for more reliable ways that Marth can set Falcon up into a combo at medium percents, taking into account platforms.
do lots of downthrows and use them to set up timing or positioning traps. when he does things in your traps, wait, react and attack what he does. usually i find timing traps to be better against falcon because it gives you more of a buffer or margin or error in your reactions to abuse him with, and his tech options and start-up time on attacks are both slower than usual. let the flow of the match occur naturally, you may or may not get combos but you'll certainly get a dead opponent.

if you're struggling in the neutral, go back to marth's basic aggressive movement without committing to anything, although use more WD back out of your DD than you normally would, this will let you effectively DD camp while facing him as much as possible, which is stronger for reaction-based play than usual in this match. you don't want to face away from falcon like you would against other characters because his ground speed is so much better than yours so the ability to protect your back is more important than the raw projected amount of stage you can cover with your own ground control. the reason for facing forward is to both protect yourself and that you want to be able to stuff out his nair pokes with your own fair to grab.

the ability to wait for a nair and to attack his attack with superior range and priority is going to shut out one of his main two approaches from neutral in this match, the other being grab. it's pretty important that you wait and react with your fair to grab on his nair because he can grab you when you land in fair if you don't react. there's a point where human error exists and i can understand getting faked out here so when you land in fair, you should l cancel and buffer it directly into a dash to make the grab whiff and then maybe you can DD grab his grab on your fair. layering your defenses from neutral will go a long way to weakening his approaches on you.

if the falcon player is trying to react to you with a grab, it's okay to overextend after him to cover his dash away on the DD for the same reasons he can do it back to you, except falcon's WD back coverage isn't nearly as good. if you go this way, when you run extra far to catch his dash away, do dtilt. the idea isn't to lead into an advantage, but merely to disrupt his movement well enough that you can go back to a reactionary stance. whether your dtilt hits or not, you should still focus on reaction and treat the situation like an extension of the neutral game. you should also absolutely get the IASA off of the dtilt to cover yourself defensively, once again layering defenses in neutral. what you cancel into for the IASA is your choice, but i'd recommend against jumping just to minimize the risk of trades because marth hates trades. if you're not sure what to do, WD back is a pretty-idiot proof bet but you're going to miss a lot of chances to react to falcon if you do that from the space you're forfeiting by moving back. you can try a shortened WD back out of the dtilt for a compromise but the spacing is a finesse thing and you're just going to have to practice and use your best judgment to retain your ability to work with anything the falcon player gives you.

this match is won in the neutral game, and IMO marth has the advantage however slightly because of fair on his moves (usually nair), a better WD back, and the ability to disrupt him better if you're both movement camping. keep in mind that his punishment options are better than yours and that any time he can upair all day you're basically going to lose.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Jesiah:

Either throw him on the ground until you throw him offstage/get a read and Fair/Nair/Fsmash/Utilt his tech or become adept at comboing Falcon with waveland grabs/Uairs and sometimes Utilts on platforms. I don't have hard percents for this because platforms and positions vary too much for me to have a general rule.

Mow's thing is good too. Not how I'd play it totally but it's mostly how I would play it. I like Dtilt'ing and going in until I see the Falcon jumping more and then I try to push my boundaries and play as Mow said. Most Falcons don't figure out how to beat mixed up Dtilt though so just get good at that and juggling lol.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
@JesiahTEG: I'm honestly more concerned at the lower percent end about how to work Falcon's percents up since few of Marth's attacks will actually force Falcon to do anything you want until mid percents. So, I do not really see the issue with mid percents since that is when all of Marth's moves are actually going to be a good advantage. It sounds to me your too focused on getting the combo on Falcon when all you really need to do is carry him into an offstage position to get a kill.

Whether or not it directly leads into a guaranteed hit doesn't matter too much other than the move should force Falcon into a spot where he'll have to come past some sword swing of yours eventually. By midpercent, I usually start thinking of the 50%-70% range. Around there and higher Uthrow should combo into some move of Marth's whether it be Uair/Fair or Utilt. Afterwards, its a matter of forcing Falcon away from center stage and offstage (bair/nair/fair) where while you have to swat him away again and again, he will eventually die.

I just want a better method for low percents other than tech chase option since tech chase is slow to gain damage and imo much harder than timing a sword swing in the air.
It's not that I'm "too focused" on getting the combo lol. I agree with everything you said, and that's pretty much where I'm at as a player. I'm pretty good at executing everything you said as well, like...that's how the matchup goes.

But I'm trying to go as in depth as possible. Maybe that's as far as we can take it, but if there are better options than throwing him and getting into guessing games, or getting into just advantageous situations, then I want to explore those. Playing against top Falcons I just want something more solid, because you're not always going to be able to follow up your aerials into something solid. And when you have Falcon at a mid percent and fail to kill him, and it's a top Falcon, then they're at like 100% or above and it could take forever to kill him, constantly having to win neutral situations and poking at him until he's potentially even above 150.

I'm not saying what you're posting is wrong, because it's great advice. I'm just trying to dig deeper and give Marth more of an edge in this very specific area.

Not 100% sure but this is what I've been observing from my recent experience vs Falcon. On no DI I usually wait for the double jump then juggle him afterwards, and I'm usually able to follow up directly on side DIs.
Yeah, waiting for the double jump is a really huge payoff if you can catch them doing it. It's merely a mixup at the highest levels though, just one tool in Marth's arsenal.

In terms of the first thing you posted...Yes, I get that same thing dude. Like, if they side DI tipper's going to hit, and as a Marth main you can kind of tell when it's going to hit based on visuals/feeling. But the no DI is the weird one. Sometimes it hits and sometimes it doesn't. You have to slightly walk to the side to make it hit but even then I can't tell if I'm legitimately hitting him or he's just not jumping out fast enough. It'd be really nice to know, I think I'm going to TAS it.

But yeah, I've had the same sort of experience with that as you.

I hear ya. It's a guessing game, where you bait their Uair or grab the ledge. (or more effectively IMO than grabbing the ledge, fall off fair which can consistently be converted into a kill.)

Yup, sounds about right from my experience.

do lots of downthrows and use them to set up timing or positioning traps. when he does things in your traps, wait, react and attack what he does. usually i find timing traps to be better against falcon because it gives you more of a buffer or margin or error in your reactions to abuse him with, and his tech options and start-up time on attacks are both slower than usual. let the flow of the match occur naturally, you may or may not get combos but you'll certainly get a dead opponent.

if you're struggling in the neutral, go back to marth's basic aggressive movement without committing to anything, although use more WD back out of your DD than you normally would, this will let you effectively DD camp while facing him as much as possible, which is stronger for reaction-based play than usual in this match. you don't want to face away from falcon like you would against other characters because his ground speed is so much better than yours so the ability to protect your back is more important than the raw projected amount of stage you can cover with your own ground control. the reason for facing forward is to both protect yourself and that you want to be able to stuff out his nair pokes with your own fair to grab.

the ability to wait for a nair and to attack his attack with superior range and priority is going to shut out one of his main two approaches from neutral in this match, the other being grab. it's pretty important that you wait and react with your fair to grab on his nair because he can grab you when you land in fair if you don't react. there's a point where human error exists and i can understand getting faked out here so when you land in fair, you should l cancel and buffer it directly into a dash to make the grab whiff and then maybe you can DD grab his grab on your fair. layering your defenses from neutral will go a long way to weakening his approaches on you.

if the falcon player is trying to react to you with a grab, it's okay to overextend after him to cover his dash away on the DD for the same reasons he can do it back to you, except falcon's WD back coverage isn't nearly as good. if you go this way, when you run extra far to catch his dash away, do dtilt. the idea isn't to lead into an advantage, but merely to disrupt his movement well enough that you can go back to a reactionary stance. whether your dtilt hits or not, you should still focus on reaction and treat the situation like an extension of the neutral game. you should also absolutely get the IASA off of the dtilt to cover yourself defensively, once again layering defenses in neutral. what you cancel into for the IASA is your choice, but i'd recommend against jumping just to minimize the risk of trades because marth hates trades. if you're not sure what to do, WD back is a pretty-idiot proof bet but you're going to miss a lot of chances to react to falcon if you do that from the space you're forfeiting by moving back. you can try a shortened WD back out of the dtilt for a compromise but the spacing is a finesse thing and you're just going to have to practice and use your best judgment to retain your ability to work with anything the falcon player gives you.

this match is won in the neutral game, and IMO marth has the advantage however slightly because of fair on his moves (usually nair), a better WD back, and the ability to disrupt him better if you're both movement camping. keep in mind that his punishment options are better than yours and that any time he can upair all day you're basically going to lose.
Despite that not being what I'm looking for at all, I agree with everything here lol. Copy and pasting this into "Smash Wisdom" folder straight from the professor himself.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Jesiah:
I don't have hard percents for this because platforms and positions vary too much for me to have a general rule.
Word, great advice as usual. This specific sentence is the entire reason I'm trying to dig deeper into this "guaranteed" hit thing. It's mainly just feeling it out and chasing him off the stage or into a tipper, mainly because "platforms and positions vary too much for me to have a general rule."

But it would be nice to become more versed in comboing him from a grab at mid percents. That way, I could reliably end my tech chases into something I know is going to lead to a bigger advantage than the one I already have. (which is currently exactly what we agree on so far in terms of comboing Falcon)

Top Bottom