• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

AustinRC

Smash Lord
You might know how to pivot, but do you know how to do pivot setups? I THINK NOT GOOD SIR! GOOD DAY! *begins curling mustache while laughing maniacally*

AustinRC

Smash Lord
If there is a big request for it I'll dump all my pivoting/ pivot setups into an instructional video.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Once you're done practicing good dash dancing, practice great dash dancing. Then phenomenal dash dancing. Then PP-level dash dancing.

I guess what we're trying to say here, is that you suck at dash dancing.

<3

Jokes aside, simply learning a tech is easy. Mastering a tech is difficult. Technique is a matter of quality, not quantity.

Knowing that it is possible to stall momentum, and then learning tricks on how to do it is easy. Mastering the application of stalled momentum vs an opponent takes time and an opponent of competitive relevance.

Knowing how to waveland is easy. Knowing how to apply wavelanding as both an offensive and defensive tool is difficult.

Knowing how to dash dance is easy. Knowing how to apply intent and force your opponent into action, when you want them to be forced into action, is difficult.

To summarize, it is not enough to know only the mechanical side of any tech. Mastery involves understanding of application vs an opponent.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Right, but I don't have any opponents, which is why I spend all my time just learning the mechanical side of as many techs as possible. That way when I do get a chance to play people I can focus entirely on application instead of having to worry about actually performing it quickly and properly.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I do suck at that. :|
Guess I'll have to just practice it more. It just feels like the CPUs are sitting in front of me going derpderpderp while I move around in front of them. >_>

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
CPUs are more for reaction area training. It helps make you more comfortable with a closer neutral area to the opponent as you learn what options they have based on your distance, and how quickly you can close the gap after one of those options is used.

Shadowboxing can be practiced during/combined with the reaction training, but I really prefer doing it without an opponent on screen...

I would guess if you have the majority of technical options covered for a character, the next thing to do is to simply keep practicing it. Aim for consistency without mistakes instead of looking for new things to practice. Even after two years of playing this game routinely, I still manage to **** up wavelanding onto the stage probably a couple times in a set. Not to mention other minor mistakes which get you KO'd such as not sweetspoting the ledge with a jump or UpB. Although, I have no idea how well practice alone on some of these things seems to work. Although, it never seems to help me at all. A few times I'll do nothing except LH waveland for like an hour each day for a week. I'll get virtually no SDs in the time span of a set. Next smashfest, I still keep managing to SD off of an early airdodge at least once a match.

So, what's this shadowboxing? I thought it was simply actively thinking about an opponent's options when fighting a CPU, but I think I have it wrong. For example, you CG a cpu fox near a platform if you are slightly not at center stage. You know the CPU won't DI away if its lv4 or higher, but in an actual match, you know DI away towards the platform will give fox the option of teching. So, if they have virtually no DI, you can regrab from the same spot. If they DI towards the center, you can still grab them. Any DI towards the platform, normally, you can cover with an utilt for no tech, tech in place, roll towards, but roll away is more problem some. So, SH fair/nair them. Not sure if getting onto a platform is really reliable at all with Marth. I always thought shadowboxing was actively thinking about what options your opponent has in any situation they get put in and figuring out what your options are to counter them. So, when it actually happens, you can counter.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I find advantages to practicing shadowboxing with and without a computer. Without feels like I can just sit and think up whatever I want, and with a CPU I feel as though I am more pressed to apply what I am thinking about instead of thinking it up.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Hyperlink fail. Just go to the Falco forums, click Dr. Peepee's thread, then go to the first post where he has a list of bunch of links.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
so even if you don't have opponents, you should practice spacing. dashdance, pick a likely move from an opponent, use 2p to make the opponent do the move, now memorize the spacing, visualize his dodge, maintain spacing. visualize your punish, etc. repeat.

this works for almost everything in the game in terms of practicing openers. it's just really really time consuming. Still I do it for situations that i think don't come up often enough in real matches to practice. One time every two matches in melee is enough to be important, but sometimes not enough to actually get decent practice when you typically only play a matchup 3 times before your opponent switches characters.

also, just practice dashdancing. everyone could practice dashdancing more. such bad followups and spacing after the roll...anyone can do well when they call correctly, maintaining correct spacing when your read was wrong is far more important

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I thought this was the Falco thread and had been reading the last 20 posts from a Falco perspective since everyone who posts here posts there ._.

Top Bottom