• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

kd-

Smash Lord
You sort of answered your own question about how to stuff the shine attempts. You have the tools in the form of 2nd jump, air dodge, fair, sideB, , fast falling, drifting, and UpB. Pay attention to your opponent and respond accordingly.
Sort of. I try to side b or second-jump fair him, but I guess he times the side b better and I won't get the fair out before the shine so I end up jumping into it. My UpB usually gets stuffed whether I go high or low - the sound clip comes out but I get shined anyway, or he'll shine after the upB comes out. That's why I asked what the mentality behind defending yourself offstage is, so far all you're telling me is to do it better >_>

Sometimes you have to give fox his space on the ledge. Ledge invincibility is something you cannot challenge, so you sometimes have to stay away from the general zones of getting hit. After invincibility is gone, then you have **** fox up.
Yeah if he's on the ledge I'll try to hover just out of shine range and then grab/fair when he gets off. This is a good reminder though, and thanks for your input.

don't be directly under the invincible fox

time your forward bs to protect you/stall out invincibility when low instead of just whenever you feel like it
Didn't think about not being below Fox. I guess I've been conflicting with myself to either stay away from the ledge out of Fox's reach and just going for it.

I'll try timing it better and maybe playing more reactionary for the second-jump fairs when I'm further away from the stage if he tries to come out and get me. Thanks

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
You can be under him as long as you are waaay under him(you can react to his drop then).

It depends on what he's doing and how much invincibility he has.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I never met a Marth I couldn't edge guard. You're just ****ed if they're doing it right.

Thankfully, most players don't do it right. Stall to expose their ****ty ledge invinc management, and watch as they get off the ledge ridiculously early or just get hit by your up-B. Also get comfortable with up-Bing on stage and ground-teching whatever attack they try to hit you back off with. That's like the only time Marth can make it back vs. spacies (when he's far enough out that he has to up-B) as far as I can tell.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I think marth has a lot of tools to get back onto the stage. Taking the edge is a main point of contention, and marth has lots of tools to prevent someone from taking it from him. I could write a bunch of paragraphs about things marth can do to change timings with his jump, sideb, fast fall and upb, but i wont. Basically, if marth hits with anything he can take the edge for free and possibly reverse the situation.

Sheik is the best character at edgeguarding him then probably ganon. Sheik can choose to bair instead of grabbing the edge, so it adds an element of risk for marth when trying to control the edge. Spacies can do things every character can do, but they are spacies so it hurts more and is harder to CC/escape. Lightshield edgehog, edgehog, ledgehop bair, etc.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Please do. I need my secondary to be as good as my main. :/

The more I learn, the easier it is for me to create a scene, improve my game, and just play better overall lol.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
marth can get by falco's attempts to take the ledge unless they can truly do the invuln firefox stall....in which case you're pretty screwed....

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
That first link....shenanigans.

other link....

-you guess too much. wayyyy too much. you can react/get close to your opponent enough in so many situations I've seen in the first few seconds so you can just react/control their options so much better than you do. fsmashing when okami techs on the platform is one, wd forward and fsmashing when the opponent isn't really moving and is across the stage is another. Sheik needs to shield/poke or counterpoke to get around your stuff....she doesn't usually dash attack or boost grab so don't get hasty.

-don't get hasty

yes it gets it's own section because it's related.

-nair is bad vs sheik

-you look like you stop and wait a lot at random times....you should stay more fluid or use that time when you stop to trick the opponent into attacking you.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Help: Marth vs Doc. How the heck does marth [edit:win the attrition war against] a doc who uses pills, crouch cancels, and grabs properly?

And please don't tell me just to space aerials and stuff. It's hard vs somebody who can stay mobile, properly utilize their shield and wavedashes out of shield, and that grab is so good vs marth, just like sheik's grab imho.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
jabbing/fair'ing/sometimes ftilt'ing can work to hit pills or through them and keep doc from following them up.

CC'ing is beaten by dtilt'ing in my experience. that, or grabbing/spacing more at lower percents. depends on how they force a CC to be honest.

doc grabs when he's in close so just mix in how you handle close range and whether doc should even be getting close initially. well-timed Fairs with the occasional Dtilt keep Doc out really well. doc can jab, grab, or dsmash at close range but if you WD OOS and keep holding down kinda then you can usually dodge grab and CC punish jab so that's something solid to consider.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Yea at close quarters doc generally wins the exchange. Actually, I don't let him force it to that usually, rather I feel that I'm forced to approach Doc often (either because I'm behind in stocks/percentage OR because he will just throw pills if I don't approach). Therefore, it's important to get ahead early in the match to make him come to me, which gives me a major advantage, because I have time to reactively set up a defense.

I thought you would recommend up-throwing doc as much as possible and air trapping him, but I guess you assumed I knew that was important.

I'm probably just being horribad at reacting at early percentages and that's why i'm getting effed up.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Yea at close quarters doc generally wins the exchange. Actually, I don't let him force it to that usually, rather I feel that I'm forced to approach Doc often (either because I'm behind in stocks/percentage OR because he will just throw pills if I don't approach). Therefore, it's important to get ahead early in the match to make him come to me, which gives me a major advantage, because I have time to reactively set up a defense.

I thought you would recommend up-throwing doc as much as possible and air trapping him, but I guess you assumed I knew that was important.

I'm probably just being horribad at reacting at early percentages and that's why i'm getting effed up.
Well you can approach but you don't have to approach hard. I mean honestly if you have stage control Doc's pills kinda suck since he can't maneuver well while using them so you can slowly take his options or control him as you see fit.

Fthrowing Doc sometimes is cool if you can trip his DI up for tech chasing/comboing purposes but yeah Uthrow is realllll good. I just responded to your question specifically and not the matchup as a whole haha.

You shouldn't focus on reacting only. You're missing out on controlling the opponent then. At least try that some before worrying about reacting only, anyway.

MT_

Smash Ace
Tai you should make it a habit to light shield if you ever find yourself on a platform shielding against an opponent below you. Marth gets shield poked so easily in that position and light shielding solves that problem in a lot of ways since they can't immediately grab you without getting on the platform first.

Also I feel you give Sheik way too much respect once she grabs the ledge from a recovery. I think there was one time when you literally ran all the way to the other side of Yoshi's after she got the ledge. She is still at a disadvantage there, just focus on maintaining stage control instead of keeping her off the stage if you find that you are losing the exchanges too hard with her ledge invulnerability mixups and stuff.

Also you need to work on juggling... I saw a lot of fsmash attempts after sheik was out of jumps that were close but if they aren't working then you should keep her in the air until you can swat her off stage with a fair or bair or something. The sheik didn't even mix in air dodges when falling back to the ground so you still have a lot of work to do juggling wise IMO.

:phone:

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone have any tips as far as approaching with Marth? It seems to be rather important but I've never learned the finer details of it. I suppose this may raise questions about proper spacing and playing the neutral game as well and if it does I'm all for it.

Thanks in advance.

Stylez

Smash Cadet
I've been sort of following this thread and the advice given when it comes to Marth's approach options. Basically, the idea is that you don't necessarily need to attack your opponent. It's extremely difficult to challenge his sword at mid-range, and you should be capitalizing on this.

Basic example: Fair approach. Most Marth's will try to target fair so that it barely nips the opponents nose. By doing this you haven't really committed to anything risky and gives you room to properly react to the other guy's next move.

Another basic example: If you close in on Falcon so that you're barely grazing his shield with the tip of your sword, you've eliminated his retardedly-far jump (and left open options that are easier to predict) without actually attacking him.

I feel like i've just said stuff that is applicable to all characters, but whatever...

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Does anyone have any tips as far as approaching with Marth? It seems to be rather important but I've never learned the finer details of it. I suppose this may raise questions about proper spacing and playing the neutral game as well and if it does I'm all for it.

Thanks in advance.
This is too broad of a question so I will just list a couple things for you to mull over that are slightly less broad.

-Marth has great mobility that can be used on its own to approach.

-Dtilt forces people to respect you more, giving you more room to approach.

-Marth has great range, so people must respect that and stay farther from you, giving you room to approach

-approaching with Marth isn't done as direct or hard as spacie approaching is because he's not that type of character. sometimes approaching must be done incrementally

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
@Stylez: Thanks for the tips Stylez. Definitely gave me some things to think about. I like the nose rule... heh. Anyways, I always feel like I need to attack but I'm slowly learning that patience is pretty essential with Marth.

@Dr. Peepee Ah, thanks for the info Dr. Peepee. You were brought up a few times as a "marth to take notes from" during my conversation with Kirbykaze. He was using you as an example of an "aggressive-controller": sort of a foil to mew2king's playstyle. This is sort of how I play as well, but far less effectively as yourself.

I guess I was just looking for general approach/spacing strategies and tips since the whole concept is a bit foreign to me. All I really know about spacing with marth is to try to hit them with the tip; essentially using the sword as a measuring stick beween you and your opponent. Beyond that I'm pretty lost.

As far as approaching goes my strategy has been to dashdance until they make a move and then attempt to punish them for it. Which of course doesn't always work. Can you go into a little more detail about your last point?

Thanks again to both of you.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Another aspect of spacing worth mentioning is placing yourself in a position from which you can punish your opponent. If a Fox dash attacks and you're standing a stage's length away, you're not going to be able to get there in time to punish him. But if you position yourself near enough to be able to react to his dash attack with some kind of guaranteed punish, that in its own way is "spacing".

To some extent, this goes into the "stage control" aspect of spacing as well, but that's a complex topic that would require a lot of paragraphs to write about. I don't know if that's something you're interested in reading.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Tai you should make it a habit to light shield if you ever find yourself on a platform shielding against an opponent below you. Marth gets shield poked so easily in that position and light shielding solves that problem in a lot of ways since they can't immediately grab you without getting on the platform first.
i always do that

if i got shield poked, it's probably because i got nervous and couldn't control my index finger

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I guess I can give my two cents.

"Stage control" is kind of a loose term in that it doesn't denote "control" as substantially as actually having somebody in hitstun does. Like if Sheik down-throws a space animal, she exerts a degree of control over the Fox/Falco that is proportional to the amount of options he has at his disposal (teching in place, DIing a certain way then flubbing the tech, not DIing then tech rolling, etc.).

If Marth up-throws sheik, she has more or less two types of options, she can either let herself fall to the ground (which will probably result in her getting up-tilted) or she can double jump and work from there. If she chooses the second option, she gives Marth some "control" over her in that she is in the air WITHOUT A DOUBLE JUMP. This means that depending on how she proceeds from there, he can potentially positioning himself below her in such a way as to make her return to the ground/platforms extremely difficult (though she has some options, fast falling with an aerial, normal falling with an aerial, fast falling and wavelanding to a platform, DIing one direction then airdodging, etc., etc.).

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Now when we say "stage control", it doesn't always mean actual control, but is more concerned with advantageous positioning. The reason I say there is no "actual control" can be illustrated by the following scenario:

-Fox is between Marth and the left ledge of Final Destination. In this case, Fox is "trapped" in that he has no room to dash to the left. Technically he COULD dash that way, but he would put himself in an even worse position, below the stage or on the ledge (a position from which his options, arguably, are even more limited, mainly because he can't really jump, without using his double jump that is).

In this case if Marth attacks Fox, he doesn't have room to "retreat" (that is, move to the left to avoid the attack). He still has options: the simple ones are to block the attack, spotdodge, roll, or jump. I'm not going to analyze all of these options and come up with a "best" option. Rather, I'm going to point out a few alternatives. For one, Fox could try quickly running THROUGH Marth before his attack occurs. Given Fox's footspeed, this could potentially work. But suppose Marth has acted with haste and given Fox little time to perform this maneuver. Well, Fox still can shield, since running doesn't remove the option of shielding.

If you get anything out of this example, I'd wish for it to be this: that by running toward Marth and shielding, he has effectively 1. avoided the attack via shield and 2. IMPROVED HIS STAGE POSITIONING.

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
So essentially, "stage control" is more or less limiting your opponent options so that the only one they have left is one that benefits you? More interesting information to think about. Thanks again.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
More or less. I would define it ("stage control") as "having positioned your character in such a way that it advantageous to you OR disadvantageous to your opponent OR both."

As a rule of thumb, being UNDER your opponent is advantageous to you. Additionally, trapping somebody at the ledge is generally favorable, whereas being trapped at the ledge yourself is unfavorable.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
@Dr. Peepee Ah, thanks for the info Dr. Peepee. You were brought up a few times as a "marth to take notes from" during my conversation with Kirbykaze. He was using you as an example of an "aggressive-controller": sort of a foil to mew2king's playstyle. This is sort of how I play as well, but far less effectively as yourself.

I guess I was just looking for general approach/spacing strategies and tips since the whole concept is a bit foreign to me. All I really know about spacing with marth is to try to hit them with the tip; essentially using the sword as a measuring stick beween you and your opponent. Beyond that I'm pretty lost.

As far as approaching goes my strategy has been to dashdance until they make a move and then attempt to punish them for it. Which of course doesn't always work. Can you go into a little more detail about your last point?
Always listen to Kirbykaze.

Well you should question all advice you are given and try to have it make sense to you. Maybe spacing at tipper range is really good because you get to avoid CC'ing easier, deal more damage in a given hit, and are farther from your opponent's attack....but is that necessarily the best way to play(even on average)? It's up to you.

You should not pigeonhole yourself into any way of play. That only makes you easier to read and exploit. Expand your game beyond just considering spacing as a term that means to "only" do something and you'll be much better for it. Spacing close to the opponent is still spacing. Spacing outside of the range of your own farthest-reaching attacks is still spacing. Are any of them necessarily wrong? No. Some are technically better by character design but what exactly that means isn't agreed upon by every Marth player so don't consider tipper spacing the best without thinking about it first.

This is all to say that if you space only at tipper range, then your opponent will know how you will attack, when you will, and where you will attack, so they can control you. Learn how they will control you on a character and player level, and develop spacings that can beat that.

Say you're fighting Fox. This Fox knows you like tipper spacing. He can just DD basically in your face for a second, get you to Fair, then dash away then punish you. This is because you want to only try and tipper him.

Trying to combo with the inside of your sword is better than connecting with the tip at mid to high %s depending on the character. This also means your opponent will try to only dodge your tippered attack when you'll be trying to get close to him and may tipper him anyway(you may catch some bad DI though so that's good).

Suppose your opponent knows both of these/considers them heavily and will try to shield/CC/dash farther away when you approach. Take your stage incrementally, slowly but surely, and he will have to retreat until he can't retreat anymore. You don't even have to attack really in this scenario because the opponent already feels threatened by your range.

Now suppose the opponent knows all of these. They will likely select from each of these counters I have listed(and more!) as they see fit/the situation calls for it. Your job will be to space so that you can influence them to do what you want and change their thinking so they behave how you want them to in response to your spacing.

You don't want to DD until they make a move then attack. What if they just DD back? Do you just wait forever? Learn to be proactive and force them to make a move! I am not saying this way is best for Marth(it can work though), but learning to play both reactively and proactively can be a great asset for you as a player(and not many people do it now so it's super helpful).

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
First off, thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions!

That was definitely an eye-opener PP. I hadn't (foolishly in retrospect) really considered spacing to be such a fluid thing. You brought up a few points about adapting to your opponent that I hadn't really considered as far as this topic goes. It seems to me that spacing depends on who you're fighting, what their playstyle is, what your playstyle is and how they react to your playstyle. I need to do away with the "rules" of spacing and whatnot and learn to adapt to my opponent.

I suppose that's one of my weaker points adapting to my opponent during the match. It's certainly something that I need to work on; reading my opponents habits and reacting to it effectively. Furthermore, I need to work on controlling my opponents options rather than just hoping they conform to how I want them to play. I've got work to do.

Thanks again!

Side note: I hope to have a couple friendly matches recorded sometime this week if I can get my hands on recording equipment. So you'll get to see all the other things I'm doing wrong, if you'd like. ...Hooray

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
spacing is a lot more complex than hitting with the tips of your attacks. spacing is present even when no moves are being thrown out.

to get a better understanding of what spacing actually is, a good question to ask yourself is "how does the spacing between me and my opponent determine how the game is going to be played?"

however, i think "positioning" is a better word than "spacing", tbh.

i think the word "spacing" misleads people to only consider the range of their attacks and the scalar distance between them and their opponent, but "positioning" sounds like a more all-encompassing word. "positioning" brings to mind where you are in relation to your opponent and in relation to the stage.

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, now that you mention it the terminology was kind of misleading. Spacing, to me, was just that, the space between you and your opponent. I can see now that it's more than that. Thanks for the clarification Tai.

I'm slowly realizing that a match in Melee is less of a straight up battle and more like a chess match between two incredibly diverse pieces. (Poor analogy I know, but in my defense I'm pretty sleepy right now.)

I've only been on these boards for 2 days and I'm already learning so much. Of course applying this to my game is quite a different story. Anyways, the advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
In this case if Marth attacks Fox, he doesn't have room to "retreat" (that is, move to the left to avoid the attack). He still has options: the simple ones are to block the attack, spotdodge, roll, or jump. I'm not going to analyze all of these options and come up with a "best" option. Rather, I'm going to point out a few alternatives. For one, Fox could try quickly running THROUGH Marth before his attack occurs. Given Fox's footspeed, this could potentially work. But suppose Marth has acted with haste and given Fox little time to perform this maneuver. Well, Fox still can shield, since running doesn't remove the option of shielding.

If you get anything out of this example, I'd wish for it to be this: that by running toward Marth and shielding, he has effectively 1. avoided the attack via shield and 2. IMPROVED HIS STAGE POSITIONING.
And then you play against Kels and he just grabs you. Even if you attack.

AustinRC

Smash Lord
To chivalruse, two things about doc. When he tries to approach in the air with pills counter them. It will always hit him if he has forward momentum. Also juggling him is SUPER important. Be really cautious of his down B when he is above you just wait it out and you will be fine. If you hold up when he jabs you you can sometimes get away from the down smash/ grab setup. I'll have to experiment more with this though.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
There's no way you can jump away from jab to d-smash or grab at low percents. You can perhaps shield though. I can see that working at high percents, but then doc is just likely to jab > aerial anyway.

@ Sveet: Yea I wasn't saying Fox couldn't grab Marth. I was more concerned with providing an easily understood illustration of stage control than accounting for all the possibilities.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
When an opponent is too close for me to Dash in and Dash Cancel Dtilt, should I just wavedash dtilt instead or go about it in a different way?

This is in relation to poking opponents with the purpose of keeping/stealing momentum, racking damage, and/or pushing them them off the stage.

Since as I can't kill with marth, I like to poke a lot, and disrupt my opponent with quick attacks before I start using moves that can kill on their own.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
If they're too close to dash cancel then sure WD Dtilt can be okay, but keep in mind that you can run up SH retreating Fair, walk up Dtilt/jab/whatever, or other options you may not be considering. Poking can be done in many ways.

AustinRC

Smash Lord
Is there any benefit to doing reverse dolphins slash oos as opposed to regular? Just wondering.

Top Bottom