• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

Bones0

Smash Legend
To me, the main benefit is having Marth's ****ty shield last one more attack than normal, and sliding further away can help although that can just be done with shield DI. You can try to PS jab or something, but I don't see why you wouldn't just grab. I think someone said it's only like 2 frames slower or something?

stelzig

Smash Lord
I was thinking it'd be more useful if you powershielded a spaced move and retaliated with a ground move....would that be it's main benefit to Marth then?

Even if it can't hit it would still be good to reverse pressure/keep the opponent honest right? They couldn't rush you if you could PS their spaced move and have things like jab keep them out.
In this situation where it isn't so much about doing moves faster than shieldgrabbing, I could see it as being useful, yes.

Edit: Jab hits on frame 4, grab on frame 7, so it is 3 frames slower. We have a framedata sticky on the board, people should use it... :p

Bones0

Smash Legend
If you aren't worried about speed because they aren't using late aerials, powershield utilt by the ledge would make spacies rage. lol

Oh, I didn't get what he meant by spaced. Then yeah, you could probably use fsmash or something. Trying to space things on the front of Marth's shield is pretty lulzy though. I only really try that in Marth dittos. Only other time I see it happening is like Sheik's bair. lol

Not sure about the JC counter question. I just tried it and it feels just as fast as a grab, and it's completely grounded, but you can't do that with shine so maybe I just can't count frames properly. lol

leffen

Smash Champion
PS->Dsmash and PS->SideB at higher percent
at lower percents counter and utilt are your best choices
and ofc, just using PS as a way to slide out of range from the shine and then grabbing/fairing them oos.

Niko45

Smash Master
Oh, I didn't get what he meant by spaced. Then yeah, you could probably use fsmash or something. Trying to space things on the front of Marth's shield is pretty lulzy though. I only really try that in Marth dittos. Only other time I see it happening is like Sheik's bair. lol
There are lots of things that can outspace Marth fair oos so a powershield would definitely help here, though I do think this discussion is not about something that impactful as in many cases you can't punish anyway.

Shroomed

Smash Master
Only a really stupid Doc (like me) would dash attack a full Marth shield.

In other news, I want to pick up Marth/Sheik for teams.

Cactuar, how do I play Marth well in teams?

Max?

Smash Champion
Did you guys know that Doc's dash attack pokes Marth's full shield? Super rage.
I'm very confident this is not true, but since I don't have access to a cube atm I can't test this. Pretty sure you are incorrect

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Lol just wd back and side smash or something.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Are there any benefits to powershielding aerials as Marth(in any matchup honestly)? I've heard it allows you to do grounded moves much faster than if you shielded first, but I don't know if that even offers any (frame) advantages.

Sorry for being a PS noob but I don't think I've ever read a post fully discussing the mechanic. If anyone would be willing to explain it to me I'd greatly appreciate it. =)
I mainly use it to disrupt spacing. Which while it doesn't make grabs faster, dashing into them to PS forces the aerial to not be a late aerial, which leads to easier grabs.

PS to uptilt ***** as well. But a lot of this is situational, at least now I know why it seems easier to grab out of ps (the push back to avoid shine).

I only try to minimize my shield time which causes me to PS aerials a bit. But Marth doesn't have as good of a situation as the rest of the top tier do off PS'd aerials.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
dtilt is best attack
in 2043 when all marths are pivot dtilting i will never get a grab

Inty17

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking about this recently. Marth doesn't really have a best move. Each move has its use. Fair, dair, nair, fsmash, and utilt are the top 5 I think, in no particular order. Thoughts?

Bones0

Smash Legend
Grab is his best move. :troll:

Does anyone use single hit nairs? I'm experimenting with it, but it's hard to find uses when I'm just playing comps. Only substantial use I've found is instead of SH double fair or SH fair uair, you can SH fair single hit nair as you land, and utilt, grab, whatever you want out of it.

Fregadero

Smash Journeyman
I'll mess around w/ it when I play later but it seems annoying just thinking about it.

You mean just the first hit? Or either?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Sometimes I single hit Nair if I mess up an input for an aerial and I get an uptilt out of it, but other than that I never use it lol.

Usually when I'm that close with Marth I want to be doing something stronger(second hit Nair or Fair typically) to push them out(or get more shield stun) or reset the spacing myself....or grab lol.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
I was thinking about this recently. Marth doesn't really have a best move. Each move has its use. Fair, dair, nair, fsmash, and utilt are the top 5 I think, in no particular order. Thoughts?
This is a super simplistic way of looking at the game but if I had to make a list...

1. Grab
2. Fair
3. Dtilt
4. Uair
5. Fsmash
6. Bair
7. Utilt
8. Dair
9. Nair
10. Side-B
11. Jab
12. Ftilt
13. Up-B
14. Shieldbreaker
15. Counter
16. Dsmash
17. Usmash

(I discounted Side-B and Up-B's recovery use; I evaluated them as standalone moves)

All of Marth's moves have a purpose. They are all ridiculously good lol so broken.

The first hit of nair is like a jab. You disrupt people and hope they don't Nair you in the face for doing it.

I dislike Marth not having a single get out of his face sort of move. Best thing he has is grab for that.

I R MarF

Smash Ace
The first hit of nair is like a jab. You disrupt people and hope they don't Nair you in the face for doing it.

I dislike Marth not having a single get out of his face sort of move. Best thing he has is grab for that.
F-tilt and Up-B are great GTFO moves and come out at frame 5. Grab only comes out at frame 7.

Niko45

Smash Master
dsmash is also great for gtfo cause its frame 5 as well and a decent CC option but like up B you have to be confident it'll hit

Top Bottom