• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

Winnar

Smash Lord
If you seek advice, ask and you shall receive young marth
What do I do after getting down thrown?

After catching/baiting sheik out of her second jump I feel like I should be able to juggle her better or follow up further, but I tend to mess up the timing and get baired. Either that or I end up misjudging the sheik's horizontal mobility and sheik escapes without having to hit me at all. It's one of many scenarios versus sheik that I feel like I should be able to capitalize hard on, but for some reason don't. Any advice?

Maybe I just need more experience fighting sheiks?

Jun.

Smash Lord
If you up throw a sheik, she is potentially screwed

1. If she doesn't jump, she gets utilted into combos. utilt - a few fairs and uairs - nair/ sometimes fsmash. Then its a edgeguarding game from there

2. If she jumps, she used her jump so you know exactly where she is floating to so you can follow up by placing yourself there for a utilt or chase in that direction with a fair or w/e.

Because of these two options, Final Destination having no platforms makes sheik very vulnerable once she gets uthrown.

Just don't find yourself in her "zone" the range of her tilts but rather keep her about twice the distance of your sword so she doesn't camp and control the stage.

that's just my view of the matchup

Jun.

Smash Lord
yep. Exactly why the matchup is in her favor. More or less the fight is equal on the stage however sheik excels at edgeguarding marth.

Edgeguarding sheik is a pain, repetitive, and sometimes impossible depending on whether or not the sheik player makes mistakes. In fact edgeguarding attempts could get you killed as it could suddenly turn around to the sheik edgeguarding you.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i disagree. you can definitely edgeguard sheik with marth, but its a little harder than fairing a firefox. If you force an upb, your "safest" option is to roll from the edge which will sometimes leave you spaced for a tipper. She can get edge if she goes straight up, though. In cases where she has that option, you can time your edge stand to dodge the explosion then react to her choice (if she goes up, dont even bother hitting her, wavedash to edge for the stock). When she has her jump you are really just making the call of whether she will attack early or try to sweetspot with her jump or first upb. If you simply choose between timing a fsmash/dtilt to trade or grabbing the edge, you will be in good position.

Jun.

Smash Lord
- its not clear cut how to force sheik into an upb

- some stages like dreamland/kongo make it impossible to do what you just said because of the higher platform.

of course its possible. But its not easy and sometimes just too risky with minimal reward which turns the matchups in her favor. No one ever said it was impossible.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i dont have a lot of experience fighting sheiks on kongo, but there is a reason why i ban DL64. But ask yourself, how is sheik getting to the platform on those stages? doesn't that mean she has to upb pretty close to the stage and you are hogging the edge? Ledgehop nair solves that.

and to force an upb... you have to hit them. thats 100% on you dude.

Jun.

Smash Lord
you can't hog the stage cause of her needles and fair a lot of the times also

the fair will force your getup then her upb is invulnerable. I guess in situations where she can't fair your hog its easy.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
u_u

everything i said works. if you just want to whine about the match-up, put that in spoilers and i won't argue.

ViciousEnd

Smash Journeyman
If Sheik is in a position after you hit her to fair your edge hog to force you off, you should try being more proactive in getting her to use her jump, if you attack her high up even if you trade hits you knock her away. If you fight her at mid height off stage you start to potentially screw yourself. Once you get her to use her jump just get to the edge. If you are under 100% you can time your normal get up to beat her explosion and force her on stage... where she should quickly die to a variety of pointy hitboxes.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
*****s don't know bout my poof tricks

i think as a sheik i fear being thrown off more than i fear being f-smashed off

because you can follow or abuse ledge invincibility if you throw me off

whereas f-smash is like w/e i di and can poof to top platform sometimes, if you attack i might be able to airdodge through your sword and hit the plat or ground and eat a weak move or whatever

with grab i can't do anything like that and it feels like if i try to defend myself i can be punished easily and with more lethal stuff (spike, f-smash w/o jump, etc.)

pie.

if i poof with awesome **** it's really hard to tip my lag. easy to f-smash it, but i got like a million poof tricks and spots i can go. you'll never tip them all!

ViciousEnd

Smash Journeyman
Given that I play Fox I think I'll just blindy up smash wherever you decide to poof <3

ViciousEnd

Smash Journeyman
Haha, that would definitely be Marth.

Fox is like, that **** in a bar. Who picks a fight with you, wins, drinks your beer, and still manages to leave with your girlfriend.

Dart!

Smash Master
What do I do after getting down thrown?

After catching/baiting sheik out of her second jump I feel like I should be able to juggle her better or follow up further, but I tend to mess up the timing and get baired. Either that or I end up misjudging the sheik's horizontal mobility and sheik escapes without having to hit me at all. It's one of many scenarios versus sheik that I feel like I should be able to capitalize hard on, but for some reason don't. Any advice?

Maybe I just need more experience fighting sheiks?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-I7M39t294
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df3e33W6H9U&feature=related

Watch this marth, he's got it figured out

Niko you can thank me later. <3

mers

Smash Ace
Since we're discussing Sheik, here's my problem with the matchup: I don't know how to avoid getting ****ed up, especially by grabs. I feel like that I handle the offensive part fine, but my matches generally are very back and forth with extended combos.

I realize this is a very vague question, but what do you guys recommend to avoid getting grabbed or otherwise owned? I'm not necessarily asking for exact moves or situations, but more just mindsets and things to watch out for, or things I definitely shouldn't do.

Thanks!

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Fox is a creature of grace and beauty.
Haha, that would definitely be Marth.

Fox is like, that **** in a bar. Who picks a fight with you, wins, drinks your beer, and still manages to leave with your girlfriend.
I can accept these, as long as we agree that he's also the Devil.

Winnar I can't make anyone good vs Sheik.

mers there's no way out of her grab combos if she's magical.

Most Sheiks aren't magical though.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
how do you fight a sheik that spams dash attack, needles and fair all day.
vs Dash attack DD into shield or retreating nairs

vs needles you can't do much but threaten space. Just move closer to sheik so she becomes more hesitant to use them. If they use needles still just shield it then WD OOS and go for a grab.

vs fair you can use retreating fairs if you're close. If you're far enough you could dash back and dash attack.

earla

Smash Lord
how is marth used effectively in teams? whose his best teammates and why?

Top Bottom