• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain Falcon's Match-Up Database! | (General Discussion); UPDATED: April 18th, 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete278

Smash Lord
They're not exactly infinites, but yeah. I know what ya mean. It's actually helpful. Depending on our follow-up options, it could help the match-up quite a bit.
Even if it is techable, it should still do quite a bit of damage. Its just knowing when to stop doing it and just knee them instead.

EDIT: Wait, my sentence was meant to be read as 'the MK one and the Wario infinite'. Sorry for any confusion.

Denzi

Smash Master
HA!

I think we have this at 95:5 our favor.

Cg spike = good luck
Lasers can camp the !@#$% outta Falcon
Phantasm adds to our camp game and because of Falcon's physical properties can be followed up rather easily with back airs and Uairs.
You're susceptible to gatling combo to higher percents than most characters.
We just generally out-prioritize you.
Falcon is laser-lockable and is highly susceptible to a few (scarcely used) setups.

That's all I can think of.

Player-3

Smash Hero
not 95-5 no i disagree yeah its def bad but not 95-5 thats too bad

maybe 80-20, since when falcon gets a grab they put falco in bad positions

plus you can falcon punch his side b
falcon pawunchchchchhhhhhhhhhh

grab ledge > jump > reverse falcon puncchhhh
mind****

for you falco mains i was being sarcastic bout the punch, ive done it before though LOL

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Don't make me laugh.
5:95? Not even close to that low.

We're not Ganondorf. We actually have mobility and options against Falco.
The chaingrab -> spike is no exception, it can easily be evaded or recovered from, concluding that the percentage of the spike shouldn't be able to pressure a Falcon down far enough to guarantee the kill.

Falcon's air game is generally better, the main exception of this would be Falco's all ranging back air. Most of those laser locking setups can be teched fairly easily, due to Falcon's fast falling and extremely awkward knock back ratio, so laser locking is possible, but not guaranteed.

25:75, IMO.
Maybe 20:80.

Also, like Player-3 said. Falcon Punch -> Side+B.
Yeah, it's probably not going to happen to a smart Falco, because they'll probably try to recover on the ledge, put Falcon Punch reverse aerial Falcon Punch often intimidates players to change their recovery around. I've landed a good several of those on professional Falco players at tournaments, as well as on Wifi.

(Not trying to say it's going to help much though. Just possible and lulzy.)

lordhelmet

Smash Master
I say 70-30, too lazy to type why though.

It is NOT 95-5, no possible way.

Falco can chain till 45%, but what is the highest percent he can get us to through chain grabs and follow ups? (while still being a true combo)

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Falco can do some laser lock setups on us, since we do tend to bounce quite a bit when hitting the ground, but they're not too guaranteed if the player knows how to tech properly.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
HA!

I think we have this at 95:5 our favor.

Cg spike = good luck
Lasers can camp the !@#$% outta Falcon
Phantasm adds to our camp game and because of Falcon's physical properties can be followed up rather easily with back airs and Uairs.
You're susceptible to gatling combo to higher percents than most characters.
We just generally out-prioritize you.
Falcon is laser-lockable and is highly susceptible to a few (scarcely used) setups.

That's all I can think of.
*Double post*

What Darky said, we are NOT Ganon. Even on Wi-Fi I rarely get camped by lasers, CF is fast as **** and has good air mobility. Phantasm really isn't a problem, we can jab him out of it (knee and pawnch are also surprisingly viable). Falco is also pretty easy to gimp offstage, up b and side b are very predictable.

But yeah, we get ***** by priority and CG, no way is it 95-5. IMO it is 70-30...

†Slader7†

Smash Ace
I agree with P-3, Falco is easliy gimped if in the right position.

I would say 80-20, because in a Falco vs Falcon match, I lose 90% of the time.

I think we have a pseudo-CG on Falco until around 15%
not much but still good to know

mlorenzo

Smash Journeyman
dont forget if you grab falco in the edge of the stage and you grab release you can follow with a knee gimp. no matter the percentage. so basically if falco is grab released in the edge he lost a stock. the trick is making falco go to the edge

Koorikou

Smash Apprentice
our air-game is better, except for the bair. The problem is geting falcon in the air imo, specially with the spike he has, it can be troublesome >_>. f-throw cg tends to work and up-b beats falcos bair if timed properly. His jab game is better than ours though so watch out for that.
And as most ppl have said, its in no way 5-95, i say around 75-25.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Well Falco is an annoying matchup, mad annoying.
I was typing a huge post but I F5 and it all went away.

So for a short and simplified version.

Falco's frustrating advantages :
-Lazors
-Phantasm/IAP
-CG
-CQC

What you can do as CF :
  • Counter lazors at long range with perfect shields and high moving speed (l2ps like MikeHaze lol) and staying mostly on the ground. And recover low.
  • Cancel the phantasm by putting hitboxes between you and Falco (and occasionally hurt Falco in the process)
  • Don't get excessively grabbed. And honestly don't be afraid of the CG to spike, it cannot kill you. It's just annoying to get like 50% because of a single grab.
  • Be really careful during close quarters combat. Falco's jab, tilts and grab are better than yours.

Also what you heard is wrong, Falco doesn't prefer the air.
Falco's aerials come out fast and stay out for a long time, and they can be used with his high jumping and falling speed to make safe hits BUT CF's Bair and Uair outrange all of Falco's air game except the Bair.

That and you can **** Falco when offstage.
If he's under the stage level **** him with a flubbed knee.
If he tries to recover with phantasm **** him with Utilts.

That's all that I can think of now, I'll try to get more Falco experience in the week.

PS : I don't want to discuss the ratio now but I don't think it's the same difficulty as Snake, nor harder.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Hey Liondude you must have mad Falco experience from all these games against Marcbri.
Mind sharing with the group ?

Salem

Smash Champion
Falco? FALCO? FALCOOOOOOOOO...

NNNPAWWWWNCH!

Anyway...

i'll bring up a summary or whatever for this bird.
He's not as hard as you'd expect.

I wish I could say we have the advantage right now but I haven't played enough Falco's with Falcon

But I did Falcon Punch one out of it's phantasm. >_>
And my Falcon hasen't really lost to any Falco's yet. O_o

Pete278

Smash Lord
From the (pretty bad, if only I could play against the good Falcos in my area) Falcos I play regularly, I've found that, if you predict it, Phantasm is pretty easy to pawnch once you learn the timing. I've done it a couple of times now.

Denzi

Smash Master
I know it isn't 95:5, that's just us being lazy/rediculous.

You shouldn't be able to punch out of Phantasm unless the falco goes high or comes up short. Also, IAP cancelling can not only get around your attempts to hit us out of Phantasm, but can also lead straight to a grab (and 50+%).

And our grab game is excellent even after CG percents. Dthrow techchasing can tack on damage pretty quickly, especially with our fairly quick pummel. When you combine pummel, the relative ease of grabbing you, and lasers, our kill moves will almost always be fresh, so Falcon won't be sticking around all that long.

Probably around 75:25 in reality, still hugely in our favor.

Pete278

Smash Lord
I don't know of anyone who just stands and Punches, so remember the punches will 99% of the time come out as an aerial, and can therefore be more precise. Even cancelled, a Phantasm shouldn't be able to punish a timed punch, assuming its well-placed. Obviously if the Falcon player just mashes B, he'll be easily punished.

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
From the (pretty bad, if only I could play against the good Falcos in my area) Falcos I play regularly, I've found that, if you predict it, Phantasm is pretty easy to pawnch once you learn the timing. I've done it a couple of times now.
<___________< they can just grab the ledge you know

PJGLZ

Smash Journeyman
FALCOH is not FALCON

Captain Falcon has some great combos on him, as he is a fastfaller, in low percents.
Dthrow>Upair>rejabgrab
Easy 30%. Think creatively.
I will give you a video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPxFCsrWtKc
See 1:05, 1:10, 1:43, 1:51
<3 Rebaz

He has a nasty chaingrab but...
HONESTLY, we shouldn't have much of a problem with it.
We should be the ones grabbing him, and our jab>grab is fantastic here.
We can approach very quickly, so lazohs are out of question.

But...

Falco has grabs
Falco has priority
Falco has bread
Falco is a bird, our brethren
Falco has LAZOOOOHs
and lastly...
Falco has a r8pe DACUS.

Overall, I'd say 35-65 Falco. Maybe 40-60, depending on the stage you pick.

And remember...

Falco is a fastfaller = cool flashy "combo" setups

Salem

Smash Champion
FALCOH is not FALCON

Captain Falcon has some great combos on him, as he is a fastfaller, in low percents.
Dthrow>Upair>rejabgrab
Easy 30%.
He has a nasty chaingrab but...
HONESTLY, we shouldn't have much of a problem with it.
We should be the ones grabbing him, and our jab>grab is fantastic here.
We can approach very quickly, so lazohs are out of question.

But...

Falco has grabs
Falco has priority
Falco has bread
Falco is a bird, our brethren
Falco has LAZOOOOHs
and lastly...
Falco has a r8pe DACUS on us.

Remember...

Falco is a fastfaller = cool flashy "combo" setups
We can use Falcon kicks to move faster to Falco as his lazer's will hit us.

Falco has a tuff time killing...
His DACUS's Up-smash can be dodged with SDI+DI and the simple dodge...

Seriously, try it, Falco is good but not that good, as soon as you reach 60% he's not gonna get anywhere much.

Also Falco is easy to gimp and has a predictable recovery, what else is there to add?
We have an advantage against him if we play it smart.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Lasers are hard to deal with (even if you're a master of powershielding, he is still hard to approach thanks to his Illusion).

Falco's KO moves are hard to land, that's true (not like Sonic, but still hard to land). His projectile camping game is just too good. I don't think he even neededs the chain grab to give Falcon a really hard time getting into Falco.

Acedude55

Smash Ace
FALCOH is not FALCON

Dthrow>Upair>rejabgrab
Easy 30%.
what the hell is this

No

10no's

Anyway from my experience in the matchup it IS hard, and he has stuff on us. But we have our tricks here and there.

.... Don't get grabbed.

Just plank the **** outta him until out of Chaingrab/CG-Spike range.
U-air and B-air are always your best friends. So just space with those until the chaingrab is avoidable.
Now lasers I wouldn't say are MUCH of a problem. We can aircamp, and at the same time we have the movibility/speed to get past them.

If you ever get a grab u-throw would honestly be the best, puts falco in a bad position. U-air right after is a good option since an airdodge would be punishable. Since Falcons up-air has like...0 lag..... u-air juggling is a good idea from there. Up close combat it's about even. U-tilts hitbox is pretty wtfish. F-tilt is faster though, but doesn't have much knockback. Falcos Jab is pretty **** fast.....watchout for eeet

Ummmmm I already explained the campy falco part.
Dealing with one that'll zoop around with Phantasm laser laser repeat really is hard, but like I said, we can get past it easier than at least half the roster.

His recovery isn't much to deal with honestly.
lol stalk him on the ledge. from there its smooth sailing. (sorta)
you'll have enough time to see where he's trying to go.
If he's trying to go for the ledge just swoop down and grab.
going for onstage, SH back and do an attack that suits the situation/positioning best.
Alternitavely you can just powersheild and punish. But his landing lag isn't much lag, so be quick on your feet. as for his firebird recovery....lol F-air (knee) has that covered. The unsweet knee obviously.

65-35 Falcos favor tbh.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
what the hell is this

No

10no's

Anyway from my experience in the matchup it IS hard, and he has stuff on us. But we have our tricks here and there.

.... Don't get grabbed.

Just plank the **** outta him until out of Chaingrab/CG-Spike range.
U-air and B-air are always your best friends. So just space with those until the chaingrab is avoidable.
Now lasers I wouldn't say are MUCH of a problem. We can aircamp, and at the same time we have the movibility/speed to get past them.

If you ever get a grab u-throw would honestly be the best, puts falco in a bad position. U-air right after is a good option since an airdodge would be punishable. Since Falcons up-air has like...0 lag..... u-air juggling is a good idea from there. Up close combat it's about even. U-tilts hitbox is pretty wtfish. F-tilt is faster though, but doesn't have much knockback.

Ummmmm I already explained the campy falco part.
Dealing with one that'll zoop around with Phantasm laser laser repeat really is hard, but like I said, we can get past it easier than at least half the roster.

His recovery isn't much to deal with honestly.
lol stalk him on the ledge. from there its smooth sailing. (sorta)
you'll have enough time to see where he's trying to go.
If he's trying to go for the ledge just swoop down and grab.
going for onstage, SH back and do an attack that suits the situation/positioning best.
Alternitavely you can just powersheild and punish. But his landing lag isn't much lag, so be quick on your feet. as for his firebird recovery....lol F-air (knee) has that covered. The unsweet knee obviously.

65-35 Falcos favor tbh.
^
This.

If you can avoid the grab game until your percent is about 40, then you won't have much to worry about while approaching Falco. If you can stay on him, his laser game won't pose as much of a problem, and the grab game won't be effective after that percentage (or about 45%).

Up throw is certainly your smartest choice for this match-up. Downthrow, albeit decent and one of Falcon's most reliable throws for following up, Falco is a character that can be limited much more by placing him DIRECTLY above you; not at an angle. Yes, his down air can spike us right back onto the ground, but a spaced aerial will make them hit each other, or breakthrough it. A simple mid-air stagger at best.

Falco's recovery is laughable. I have such an easy time smacking him around. If he's below the ledge, his up+b can be punished by a Nipple Spike Dair or properly spaced Bair. His Illusion can be punished with a smash attack, a knee (though timing is strict, I've pulled it off a good number of times), a Falcon Punch if your opponent is a scrub that thinks recovering onto the stage with Illusion rather than the ledge is a good idea - - or possibly even a grab in some cases.

Besides those, what Ace said has my full approval.
35:65, IMO.

PJGLZ

Smash Journeyman
what the hell is this

No

10no's

THIS IS MADNESS!

No, seriously, have you even tried it? @_@
I do it on fastfallers all the time...
Of course it can be dodged, but honestly:
DO YOU THINK YOU ARE GOING TO PLAY A FALCO THAT PAYS THAT MUCH ATTENTION TO THIS MATCHUP?!
Also, why did you forget to mention flubbed knee on falco's up-b?
It works wonders.

ALSO, Darky, I think the pic for ZSS is not "appropriate for all ages".

Acedude55

Smash Ace

THIS IS MADNESS!

No, seriously, have you even tried it? @_@
I do it on fastfallers all the time...
Of course it can be dodged, but honestly:
DO YOU THINK YOU ARE GOING TO PLAY A FALCO THAT PAYS THAT MUCH ATTENTION TO THIS MATCHUP?!
Lmfao

well no, but then again that goes for every character you know >.>

but that d-throw combo mumbo jumbo shouldn't work all the time > _ > it's more a suprise thing, but either way opponents have 3 options when being d-throwed.
Jump away, Airdodge down, or attack down....or Jump and attack....or Jump and airdodge away....
But to me what you described was silly >.> I mean the u-air after eehhhhh could be worked on falco but the jab regrab after is silly >.>

PJGLZ

Smash Journeyman
Lmfao

well no, but then again that goes for every character you know >.>

but that d-throw combo mumbo jumbo shouldn't work all the time > _ > it's more a suprise thing, but either way opponents have 3 options when being d-throwed.
Jump away, Airdodge down, or attack down....or Jump and attack....or Jump and airdodge away....
But to me what you described was silly >.> I mean the u-air after eehhhhh could be worked on falco but the jab regrab after is silly >.>
"Try it before you buy it"
In fact, I will give you a video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPxFCsrWtKc
See 1:05, 1:10, 1:43, 1:51
<3 Rebaz

PJGLZ

Smash Journeyman
tbh rebaz's -combos- are bull

.____.

EDIT: ONLY SOME OF THEM
AGAIN, :rolleyes:

"Try it before you buy it"

Please remember that I do these "combos" quite often in matchups, and are very possible in other matches.

So who/when is the next matchup topic?

mlorenzo

Smash Journeyman
due to our ability of being able to kill falco with a released in the edge and easy to gimp, and our higher mobility i think this match up is 65 -35.

PJGLZ

Smash Journeyman
due to our ability of being able to kill falco with a released in the edge and easy to gimp, and our higher mobility i think this match up is 65 -35.
Lorenzo, are you speaking of a grab release -> knee? I think you should supply a video, or perhaps an example. I've been looking through your posts
(stalking)
and see that people do not quite understand this as significant information, as they do not recognize you as well as some here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom