• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
idk why you guys complain about stuff like panic knifing so much when it takes skill -.-

the only problem with the knife is it somehow hitting when the person isn't even looking at you or not hitting when you obviously got them or knifing through riot shields in MW2 and MW3
it takes skill? Are you kidding me? There's a reason its called a panic knife, its purely reflex. The lunge range also helps out panic knifing. Skill? Please you barely have to aim. Heck sometimes the knife doesn't physically touch you and still kill you. Skill? That's the most absurd thing I've ever heard.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Nah it takes skill obv because the first thing you do irl is take out your knife and the run through their bullets like superman and then kill them :awesome:

:phone:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
1. Get rid of the knife entirelly.

2. Get rid of the knife entirelly and return to using your gun to butt someone.

3. Make the knife something you have to equip before you can slash it.

4. Have guns do more damage at "melee knife ranges" so that if you need a single bullet or two to drop someone about to stab you.

5. Create a "Knife Vest" as a perk or similar that protects you.

6. Changing the tuning of the knife to do variable, or half, the damage it does right now

7. Do nothing. We already nerfed the melee lunge/attack range.

8. Do away with the melee lunge entirely.
I don't really play MP but I'mma say I like option 2 the best. Then give guns different butt strengths. Make LMGs OHKO since they are big guns :bee: SMGs/AR can be 2HKO, shotguns don't really care i think... but inbetween SMG/AR and LMG damage

err um.. snipers should get none :D cause the gun looks awkward to smack someone with it.. or just give them a longer cooldown than the rest of the guns but OHKO

They should keep the lunge on the ballistic knife though since you did give up a weapon slot for it.

You can even opt to make different SMG/AR do less damage than others like make the Famas/AUG/74u a 3HKO so they need like 2 bullets + gun butt instead of 1 bullet to gun butt

Back hits (basically you'd get a backstabber medal) should double the damage of the gun butt hit.

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
I don't really play MP but I'mma say I like option 2 the best. Then give guns different butt strengths. Make LMGs OHKO since they are big guns :bee: SMGs/AR can be 2HKO, shotguns don't really care i think... but inbetween SMG/AR and LMG damage

err um.. snipers should get none :D cause the gun looks awkward to smack someone with it.. or just give them a longer cooldown than the rest of the guns but OHKO

They should keep the lunge on the ballistic knife though since you did give up a weapon slot for it.

You can even opt to make different SMG/AR do less damage than others like make the Famas/AUG/74u a 3HKO so they need like 2 bullets + gun butt instead of 1 bullet to gun butt

Back hits (basically you'd get a backstabber medal) should double the damage of the gun butt hit.
I like this post.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
idk why you guys complain about stuff like panic knifing so much when it takes skill -.-

the only problem with the knife is it somehow hitting when the person isn't even looking at you or not hitting when you obviously got them or knifing through riot shields in MW2 and MW3
I lost.

Sooooooo tempted to sig this post.

it takes skill? Are you kidding me? There's a reason its called a panic knife, its purely reflex. The lunge range also helps out panic knifing. Skill? Please you barely have to aim. Heck sometimes the knife doesn't physically touch you and still kill you. Skill? That's the most absurd thing I've ever heard.
^
This.

Nah it takes skill obv because the first thing you do irl is take out your knife and the run through their bullets like superman and then kill them :awesome:

LOL

Well said, my friend.

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
I don't complain about panic knifing - my philosophy is that if I'm close enough for someone to do it to me, then I'm not paying it right. That, and I still fail to see how it's a problem.

How would sniper rifles be any more awkward to swing around than LMGs? Just have the heavier weapons be slower to swing but do more damage per hit.

Mind you, you'd have to make a buttstock attack pretty fast given how fast you can kill someone just by spraying in their general direction, or else it would have no use.

Player-1

Smash Legend
yeah reflex, the other guy had better reflexes than you and you lost. Reflexes are part of skill. lmao. Saying reflexes are not part of skill is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of Sometimes it does physically touch you and you don't die. It works in both directions.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
How would sniper rifles be any more awkward to swing around than LMGs? Just have the heavier weapons be slower to swing but do more damage per hit.

Mind you, you'd have to make a buttstock attack pretty fast given how fast you can kill someone just by spraying in their general direction, or else it would have no use.

Snipers are awkward cause of their shape, not weight. I figured just a longer cooldown due to needing more time to steady yourself. Though an M60 does sound awkward to swing around cause of its ammo... but the other 3 look fine to swing around.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
yeah reflex, the other guy had better reflexes than you and you lost. Reflexes are part of skill. lmao. Saying reflexes are not part of skill is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of Sometimes it does physically touch you and you don't die. It works in both directions.
Mashing down on the right stick and lunging 10 feet at a guy going through bullets isn't skill. Besides, its a FPS, melee shouldn't be a 1 hit kill.

Edit: And at times its not even about reflexes, its about your connection, which is why the melee needs to be nerfed.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Mashing down on the right stick and lunging 10 feet at a guy going through bullets isn't skill. Besides, its a FPS, melee shouldn't be a 1 hit kill.

Edit: And at times its not even about reflexes, its about your connection, which is why the melee needs to be nerfed.
yes it is. Who cares if you're going through bullets? It's not a realistic game, if you want realistic then go join the actual army or play BF3 or something. It's a video game complaining that it isn't 'realistic' is pretty ****ing ********. Why shouldn't melee be a 1 hit kill? Just because it's an FPS doesn't mean that, let's see how good you do going around and knifing everyone and let's see how OPed the knife is.

Because I kind of wanna use my gun since its a FPS. And knives rely on connection more than bullets.
Most, if not, all FPSes have some kind of melee system.

Sounds more of a problem with COD host and not the knifing system, you should be complaining about not having dedicated servers instead.

SwampertTheGreat

Smash Ace
Lol at this topic. The melee needs to be a secondary or something you have to equip.
It should please everyone (people like me and people who like to knife only).
Also people have such a bad idea of what op means. Same as when people say quickscoping isnt op because you dont get amazing scores every game

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Yes, I know call of duty isn't realistic. But there's also something called balance, and to me a 1 hit melee kills isn't balanced. With halo, melee is a 2 hit kill, to get a 1 hit melee kill you have to use the sword or hammer. Gears of War isn't realistic either but you can't do a 1 hit melee kill except with the lancer bayonet and the retro lancer bayonet. But when you use the Bayonet, there is a charge up time and you sacrifice the ability to shoot while doing this. In CoD you can knife people instantly. There's nothing wrong with having a melee system in CoD, but what they need is a balanced melee system.

Edit: Plus, since Call of Duty isn't a sci-fi shooter, is it really that bad to have some realism in there?

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
I get the feeling you just don't like getting knifed and it's pushing you to illogical conclusions.

If knifing was imbalanced, then I would see everyone running around knifing everything in sight and abusing the hell out of it, as people the CoD community are wont to do. So why don't I?

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
I get the feeling you just don't like getting knifed and it's pushing you to illogical conclusions.

If knifing was imbalanced, then I would see everyone running around knifing everything in sight and abusing the hell out of it, as people the CoD community are wont to do. So why don't I?

Doesn't seem that illogical, unless you are playing for fun, then you just shoot at longer ranges and with how crazy the lunge is in cod, if anyone comes within 10 feet of you, you just instantly lunge at them, teleport through all the bullets coming at you and stab them. Doesn't seem too balanced to me. Melee should be a 2 hit kill in this game. Considering this game is a FPS, guns should be superior, even at close range. Even in Halo, melee is a 2 hit kill, and that's not a realistic game either.

Player-1

Smash Legend
melee system is pretty balanced... can you go around and go positive just knifing? Doubt it. COD is it's own game, not everything has to be like every other game, by your logic we should also have shields in our game just because halo has shields. You're exaggerating the knifing system by a lot, you definitely don't get a 10 ft lunge or anything, granted it's sometimes can be pretty big, but i don't see much of a problem with it. It's your fault for not doing it first.

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
melee system is pretty balanced... can you go around and go positive just knifing? Doubt it. COD is it's own game, not everything has to be like every other game, by your logic we should also have shields in our game just because halo has shields. You're exaggerating the knifing system by a lot, you definitely don't get a 10 ft lunge or anything, granted it's sometimes can be pretty big, but i don't see much of a problem with it. It's your fault for not doing it first.
Yes, I can. And have. Often.

And I STILL think PANIC knifing is broken.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
See, the whole its your fault for not doing it first doesn't work, because I've tried that, and frankly hitting the right stick first doesn't work because of connection and how glitchy the knife is. There have been plenty of times in black ops where I knife the guy, I hear the sound of me stabbing the guy, but somehow it does not register, and I get knifed. So saying its my fault for not doing it first is complete bull****.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Yes, I can. And have. Often.

And I STILL think PANIC knifing is broken.
I'm not talking per game, I'm talking overall not using anything but a kinfe ever

See, the whole its your fault for not doing it first doesn't work, because I've tried that, and frankly hitting the right stick first doesn't work because of connection and how glitchy the knife is. There have been plenty of times in black ops where I knife the guy, I hear the sound of me stabbing the guy, but somehow it does not register, and I get knifed. So saying its my fault for not doing it first is complete bull****.

again, sounds like a problem with connection, not the knife. Complain about COD not having dedicated servers, not knifing.

edit: and I even gave you that one in my original post, my original point is that panic knifing is completely legit and you just suck for not knifing first

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
Doesn't seem that illogical, unless you are playing for fun, then you just shoot at longer ranges and with how crazy the lunge is in cod, if anyone comes within 10 feet of you, you just instantly lunge at them, teleport through all the bullets coming at you and stab them. Doesn't seem too balanced to me. Melee should be a 2 hit kill in this game. Considering this game is a FPS, guns should be superior, even at close range. Even in Halo, melee is a 2 hit kill, and that's not a realistic game either.
I' not talking about realism. It becomes a moot point when talking about most games, really.

You're claiming that knifing is imbalanced. But the situation you described is a consequence of lag, which affects gunfights just as easily (as anyone who's been shot round a corner can easily tell you).

As for OHK knives, they pretty much have to be that way to compete with the guns at all. You can die in less than a second with some of the stronger weapons and they're not constricted to a five foot radius either. A 2 hit kill knife would only encourage people to spray and pray like mad, which still doesn't solve your problem (as they're firing long before you are). It works well for Halo because you have a lot more health and so don't tend to die so fast.

And besides, if you're walking into enemy or contested territory and not expecting to see someone four feet away from you at any time, it's pretty much your own fault. Prevention's better than a cure any day.

EDIT: Late, as usual.

P1, saying 'You should have done it first' doesn't say anything about whether or not it's overpowered. It's just suggesting that you either have to use the OP weapon first or you'll lose.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
I'd just like to say as a blanket statement that dedicated servers would only resolve the issue of host advantage and nothing else.
Everyone wouldn't automatically get a god connection just from having dedicated servers.
Its about your internet speed.

O D I N

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
I'd just like to say as a blanket statement that dedicated servers would only resolve the issue of host advantage and nothing else.
Everyone wouldn't automatically get a god connection just from having dedicated servers.
Its about your internet speed.
THIS.

Dedicated servers are nice, but it's never gonna solve our problems. And if you have a bad connection, then tough **** for you.

Player-1

Smash Legend
EDIT: Late, as usual.

P1, saying 'You should have done it first' doesn't say anything about whether or not it's overpowered. It's just suggesting that you either have to use the OP weapon first or you'll lose.
what? I'm not saying that at all. I said that you can't really go around knifing and go positive overall (well you can, but it'd be the equivalent to like bowser winning a tournament in melee, it's possible and it's been done, but that doesn't make bowser a good character). I'm saying that 'panic knifing' takes skill since it's all about reflexes and reflexes are a big part of skill

O D I N

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
what? I'm not saying that at all. I said that you can't really go around knifing and go positive overall (well you can, but it'd be the equivalent to like bowser winning a tournament in melee, it's possible and it's been done, but that doesn't make bowser a good character). I'm saying that 'panic knifing' takes skill since it's all about reflexes and reflexes are a big part of skill
Gimpyfish says "Hi".

And I carried a positive K/D knifing only in Blops.:glare: It didn't start dropping until I stopped knifing.

The moral of the story boys and girls, is stick with what you know.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Gimpyfish says "Hi".

And I carried a positive K/D knifing only in Blops.:glare: It didn't start dropping until I stopped knifing.

The moral of the story boys and girls, is stick with what you know.
yeah...I was referring to gimpyfish in that. Hence the "it's been done part" bowser still isn't a good character. What are you getting at?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
When it comes to knifing, it should be 1 bullet + knife to kill IMO, at least with SMG and AR guns. You could opt to make knifing faster so that you can shoot + knife to beat a guy just shooting.

Player-1

Smash Legend
He would disagree with you.

Matter of perception.

I would disagree with you. Based on how I feel about the character.

Compared to other characters, out matched. A bad character? Hardly.
I don't think he'd disagree that bowser is a bad character, I'm pretty sure he's admited it.

If it makes you feel any better about the analogy, BigLou (best luigi in brawl) has won tournaments with luigi and says he's a bad character, I know that for sure

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
BigLou (best luigi in brawl) has won tournaments with luigi and says he's a bad character, I know that for sure
But with MK gone........... :awesome:

Idk, I myself am fine with the knife system. Sure you get some bs kills/deaths from it but that's just the way it is. IMO panic knifing has been "nerfed" somewhat in mw3 not only because the knife doesn't even work half the time, but I've noticed it doesn't work as much when I'm up close next to someone. Aka, the general situation a panic knife would be found in.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
i hesitate to listen to someone talk about what should be in a game or not when they were the ones that voted for metaknight to be banned

Top Bottom