• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 Brawl Will not be a Part of 2011 MLG Pro Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
okay AZ so how would, what m2k did, count as bracket manipulation or whatever when there was only like <5 players left in the tournament?

how does it affect the eliminated players, AT ALL? I mean, they're eliminated.

Now if an MLG rep could potentially be mistaken about that, what else could they be mistaken about?

EDIT
I feel like I should put this out there again

, but the tournaments that we did have were amazing guys <3 Thanks for putting on that show.

come back in 2012 and the community will plan less big tournaments, so that your coffers can be back to full again?
Why don't you think before you post...they split in Losers Finals. That technically manipulates the Grand Finals set after. Rich Brown could have won the tourney if M2K beat ADHD, since Rich took M2K out of winners. There's no way to know if M2K would have if they didn't split, since M2K did have a losing record over past months to ADHD, but M2K just throwing the set can easily be called manipulation from a rule standpoint. If it were Grand Finals, that would be another thing.

Hive

Smash Lord
alphazealot makes a lot of sense in his posts.

On a further note, is the official reaction of much of the community going to be to pretend that we hated mlg and won't miss them anyways? And to blame mlg and the other communities in retrospect for enforcing their own rules and lol for them wasting their time and money supporting our scene?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I will say 1 last thing, and leave this thread:

This is not as clear cut as many of you would like to imagine it. If you looked at the big picture of things, you would see the alternatives out there. Like MLG backing up a grass roots tournament with prizes and pot money. Any of you consider something like an Apex or Genesis with MLG support/prizes/money thrown in?

I had a talk with someone a few months back. He was more in touch with MLG than most players were, and he posed an interesting informal question to smashers: What do you think would be better for the community, letting Brawl run 2 or more seasons on the circuit or having MLG support larger Grassroots tournaments? May surprise you, but most of us indeed answered "Grassroots Support" after mulling it over for a bit.

You can say what you want about their stated reasons for dropping the game. For all I care, they could have said "We have to scale back due to the currently shaky economic environment" or "We hate the Brawl community" or "We're going to give that money to Charity." What they say is not what should concern you: what they plan to do with the game should be what you focus on. If you aren't focused on what they will do with the community from now on, then you're basically throwing a football through a tire in your backyard instead of throwing a Touchdown at the Super Bowl.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
AlphaZealot.
Why don't people read what he says more often?

I agree so hard with him that it hurts.
And DMG, too.

KoNfucius

Smash Ace
It's official, as Sundance revealed in the podcast "The Losers Bracket" with vVv Gaming, Brawl will not be a part of the 2011 MLG Pro Circuit. This is due to many reasons, here are a few of them:

• [*]No support from developers or sponsors
    [*]M2K/ADHD bracket manipulation
    [*]Support being split between the MLG tournaments and underground tournaments
    [*]Unsteady attendance figures

MLG Didn't make money

It was a fun 2010 season and I hope everyone that came out to the events had a great time and enjoyed one of the most well run tournaments ever. It will be hard to forget some of the great moments over the last year, and though this may be the end of Brawl as a mainstay title at MLG, try to remain positive so that possible tournaments with MLG can still happen. The worst thing the community can do right now is be negative and whine about something that is a multi-faceted business decision for MLG. Remember the good times, and try to continue to support MLG because you never know what could happen in the future.

For reference, here are the attendance figures for the MLG events:
  • MLG Orlando 2010 (183 Entrants)
  • MLG Columbus 2010 (250 Entrants)
  • MLG Raleigh 2010 (148 Entrants)
  • MLG DC 2010 (174 Entrants)
  • MLG Dallas 2010 National Championship (182 Entrants)
they dished out hundreds of thousands of dollar$ or prolly more, and didn't make enough back.... simple.

not saying thats the only reason but its the big one.

No support from developers or sponsors, Unsteady attendance figures= loss of money

remember guys MLG is first and fore most a business

FIRST RULE IN BUSINESS
"A business is in business to make money"

t3h Icy

Smash Master
As Bizkit just mentioned, MLG had to spend over an extra $7,000 on security at Dallas because of the actions of someone in this community. That is the length they went to protect not just the staff of MLG, but every single person in attendance (particularly Brawl players) because someone on Smashboards threatened to bring a gun to the venue. That is the length MLG will go to make sure an event goes off without a hitch.
What the hell is wrong with the Brawl community? looooool

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
they dished out hundreds of thousands of dollar$ or prolly more, and didn't make enough back.... simple.

No support from developers or sponsors, Unsteady attendance figures= loss of money

FIRST RULE IN BUSINESS
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Also does anyone have a transcript of the podcast? :confused:

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer

FIRST RULE IN BUSINESS
I agree with this.

They wouldn't even get that money back from having max attendance each time.

Sliq

Smash Master
[*]MLG Columbus 2010 (250 Entrants)
Wow, what a big surprise, the Midwest is awesome and everywhere else sucks.

I'm also really surprised that Nintendo decided to be bitchy about the whole ordeal. I guess they are just salty that everyone is realizing what a joke their console is and not buying it. Now that the Kinect is wrecking face, which is SURPRISING, I have no idea what Nintendo's next move is going to be. I wonder which demographic they will alienate next.

Also, can we all agree that Melee lasting longer on the MLG Circuit means it is better? I know we can't, but I really wanted to say that.

Shazam!

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
Wow, what a big surprise, the Midwest is awesome and everywhere else sucks.

Also, can we all agree that Melee lasting longer on the MLG Circuit means it is better? I know we can't, but I really wanted to say that

Shazam!
Melee had competitive support from Nintendo or atleast allowed it unlike Brawl.

As simple as that.

fragbait

Smash Master
Yeah, OP, I'm not gonna kiss MLG's *** and nobody else should. They ignored the methods of our community, and support being split between MLG tourneys and grassroots tourneys is for good reason: MLG didn't give us the recognition and hype that we deserved as a community, not to mention ignored our rulesets and established methods.
Good riddance. See you all at the next National, which will get more entrants than any MLG that wasn't Columbus, because Midwest is da bess.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Yeah, OP, I'm not gonna kiss MLG's *** and nobody else should. They ignored the methods of our community, and support being split between MLG tourneys and grassroots tourneys is for good reason: MLG didn't give us the recognition and hype that we deserved as a community, not to mention ignored our rulesets and established methods.
Good riddance. See you all at the next National, which will get more entrants than any MLG that wasn't Columbus, because Midwest is da bess.
You can't aim all of the ruleset "differences" at MLG. No sir.

There are things best left unexplored...

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
Jona: I don't like it either, haha.

Our only chance now is to get Melee at the throwback events.

Also reminds me of something I wrote a while ago:
Greetings, Nintendo!

We are writing to you in regards to Major League Gaming's attempts to acquire the rights to stream video of their Super Smash Bros. Brawl tournaments.

While we understand that you prefer to market your products to a more casual audience--and there's nothing wrong with that--Nintendo in general, and Brawl in particular, has a notable tournament-going audience: MLG's tournaments each have had more than one hundred Brawl participants from all over the United States, and in addition, local "grassroots" tournaments see dozens of players every week.

Allowing MLG to stream video of their Brawl tournaments would be mutually beneficial to both companies as well as individual fans. MLG could generate more interest in their tournaments, because more people would be able to watch them; Nintendo could generate more interest in Brawl, as current players use the stream to get their friends interested; and fans of the game benefit as the size of the community grows.

As current players use the livestream to get more people to play Brawl, Brawl sales (which reached 1.4 million in the first week of the game's release) will see an increase. Not only that, but if and when a fourth Super Smash Bros. installment is released, those new Brawl fans will be far more likely to purchase it as well, causing what would already be massive sales to rise even higher. This, in turn, will increase the amount of viewers MLG's livestream will have once MLG adds the new game to its circuit (a near guarantee, as they have previously included Melee and currently include Brawl), causing the series to be hyped even further: a cycle that will be of great financial benefit to both MLG and Nintendo.

We, the Super Smash Bros. Brawl fandom, are highly appreciative of the excellent games you have designed, and want to see Nintendo and Major League Gaming come to an accord for the benefit of all involved. Please reconsider the merits of allowing MLG to stream their Brawl events, and meet with MLG representatives to discuss the terms by which this may be accomplished.

Best regards,
the Super Smash Bros. Brawl community
(not affiliated with Major League Gaming)

Anyone else remember that thread? If we'd just gone through with it...
For the record, I actually sent not only my letter, but a variant of yours through actual postage.

Masky

Smash Master
No support from developers or sponsors
Did developers/sponsors support Melee?

M2K/ADHD bracket manipulation
There was at least one instance of bracket manipulation in 2006 in Melee but it was kept on the circuit. Why?

Support being split between the MLG tournaments and underground tournaments
Wasn't that the same situation for Melee? Or were there not big underground tournaments for Melee between 2004 and 2006?

Unsteady attendance figures
Were the attendance figures that much better for Melee in its first year?

edit:

Jona: I don't like it either, haha.

Our only chance now is to get Melee at the throwback events.

Also reminds me of something I wrote a while ago:
Greetings, Nintendo!

We are writing to you in regards to Major League Gaming's attempts to acquire the rights to stream video of their Super Smash Bros. Brawl tournaments.

While we understand that you prefer to market your products to a more casual audience--and there's nothing wrong with that--Nintendo in general, and Brawl in particular, has a notable tournament-going audience: MLG's tournaments each have had more than one hundred Brawl participants from all over the United States, and in addition, local "grassroots" tournaments see dozens of players every week.

Allowing MLG to stream video of their Brawl tournaments would be mutually beneficial to both companies as well as individual fans. MLG could generate more interest in their tournaments, because more people would be able to watch them; Nintendo could generate more interest in Brawl, as current players use the stream to get their friends interested; and fans of the game benefit as the size of the community grows.

As current players use the livestream to get more people to play Brawl, Brawl sales (which reached 1.4 million in the first week of the game's release) will see an increase. Not only that, but if and when a fourth Super Smash Bros. installment is released, those new Brawl fans will be far more likely to purchase it as well, causing what would already be massive sales to rise even higher. This, in turn, will increase the amount of viewers MLG's livestream will have once MLG adds the new game to its circuit (a near guarantee, as they have previously included Melee and currently include Brawl), causing the series to be hyped even further: a cycle that will be of great financial benefit to both MLG and Nintendo.

We, the Super Smash Bros. Brawl fandom, are highly appreciative of the excellent games you have designed, and want to see Nintendo and Major League Gaming come to an accord for the benefit of all involved. Please reconsider the merits of allowing MLG to stream their Brawl events, and meet with MLG representatives to discuss the terms by which this may be accomplished.

Best regards,
the Super Smash Bros. Brawl community
(not affiliated with Major League Gaming)

Anyone else remember that thread? If we'd just gone through with it...
this letter is terrible

Sliq

Smash Master
Melee had competitive support from Nintendo or atleast allowed it unlike Brawl.

As simple as that.
Well, I guess that was back in the good old days of Nintendo not being ********.

That explains Brawl, and also explains why Brawl was dropped. Nintendo started drinking stupid juice.

But seriously, I remember watching the Live stream of PC Chris and Ken, and how hyped and awesome those matches were. I can imagine the Sonic matches would've had as much hype.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Well, I guess that was back in the good old days of Nintendo not being ********.

That explains Brawl, and also explains why Brawl was dropped. Nintendo started drinking stupid juice.

But seriously, I remember watching the Live stream of PC Chris and Ken, and how hyped and awesome those matches were. I can imagine the Sonic matches would've had as much hype.
Now I know you're lying

About the juice

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
A few things:

-People acting like we're better off without MLG, please stop kidding yourselves. I understand being positive and trying to move forward, but part of moving forward would be trying to shed some positive light on ourselves to hopefully get BACK on the circuit in the future. We are in no way better off without MLG.

-I'm not gonna sit here and blame M2K and ADHD for our loss of MLG, because they probably weren't the main reason for Brawl's dismissal, but the whole splitting fiasco was definitely a factor. Sundance sounded absolutely disgusted with them in the loser's bracket podcast. I have a lot of respect for the two of them as well, but it's silly for us as a community to sit here and put MLG on blast when a lot of this does have to do with our own players' behavior. It starts with us.

-MLG endorsing major grassroots tournaments would be awesome. Our own major tournaments are great and all, but simply put, MLG dishes out the cash. We can't offer pots like they do ourselves. Dallas prizes were insane.

Oh, and for the record, Mew2king never received a dime from me yet.

dat manipulation.
That hardly matters since you guys made it pretty clear that you do or at least did intend to pay him at the time of the match.

Also, I agree with 95% of the things AZ has ever stated. Just saying.

Sliq

Smash Master
Now I know you're lying

About the juice
I imagine those matches would've been boring as hell. I'm talking about the people that like watching awful Brawl matches.

Seriously, don't watch Brawl matches. It's like watching the Paris Hilton sex tape. You go in thinking, "Awesome, sex!" And then you leave midway, abhorred. Then 6 months later you go, well, maybe it's not as bad as I remembered and BAM! You have aids.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I imagine those matches would've been boring as hell. I'm talking about the people that like watching awful Brawl matches.

Seriously, don't watch Brawl matches. It's like watching the Paris Hilton sex tape. You go in thinking, "Awesome, sex!" And then you leave midway, abhorred. Then 6 months later you go, well, maybe it's not as bad as I remembered and BAM! You have aids.
Those are my kind of people. The ones with enough gut and soul to watch me time someone out for 8 min.

Oh yeah, Paris tape was bad cause the guy was white tbh. The best celeb tapes are interracial usually.

DMG you said you were gonna leave the thread.....LIAR.
Surely you jest good sir? Perhaps I said I would leave, but I imposed no preconditions on my ability to return. In that regard, I have come forth and interposed myself back into the fray when needed at a moments notice.

Masky

Smash Master

reported. we don't really need uninformed, ignorant, hateful posts like this.

thanks mods for watching this thread. /sarcasm

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Surely you jest good sir? Perhaps I said I would leave, but I imposed no preconditions on my ability to return. In that regard, I have come forth and interposed myself back into the fray when needed at a moments notice.
And pray tell what thou wouldst hath done if thine opponent was not all in good jest?????????????????????????????????????????????????

Teh Future

Smash Master
Seriously, don't watch melee matches. It's like watching 300 or Ninja Assassin. You go in thinking, "Awesome, swords and ****!" And then you leave midway, abhorred unless your completely mindless ****** who likes action with no substance. Then 6 months later you go, well, maybe it's not as bad as I remembered and BAM! You are blinded by watching 3 different shades of the same color for 2 hours
fix'd for a better analogy pal

Sliq

Smash Master
reported. we don't really need uninformed, ignorant, hateful posts like this.

thanks mods for watching this thread. /sarcasm
Do you live in the Middle East? If not, you should consider moving there. I hear they don't enjoy laughter either.

I have never felt so sorry for anyone over the internet. It must take great strength to go on being you. Bravo.

fix'd for a better analogy pal
I can't tell if you are trying to insinuate that Melee is like your analogy, or if you are simply trying to be entertaining.

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
Hey Sliq, remember when I killed you with A nade while you were shielding ? that's how bad Midwest is LOL.

I remembered why I hate melee ******s, I'm not donating for Armada no longer no matter what, not supporting one direspectful community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom