• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Robocop Rule Set

Dekar289

Smash Hero
@ cao

i could see 1 on 1 coaching during matches being prevented
but when people in the crowd yell out words of support i think that is fine, especially since both players can hear it
otherwise it's like ejecting a spectator from grand final day for screaming "kick the ball"

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
@ cao

i could see 1 on 1 coaching during matches being prevented
but when people in the crowd yell out words of support i think that is fine, especially since both players can hear it
otherwise it's like ejecting a spectator from grand final day for screaming "kick the ball"
If all people are kept at a certain distance away from players, their coaching becomes audible to both players, meaning that the opponent not getting coached can counter what they're expecting the opponent to do.

(?)

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I personally generally hear what someone like ted is whispering in my opponent's ear whilst he's coaching them.

But the main example that was brought up was
Snake's c4 on a stage.
"YO DUDE THE C4 IS ON THAT PLATFORM YOU'RE UNDER"
If the player didn't notice, they avoided getting ***** unexpectedly.

;\

I'm kind of the opinion that coaching should be allowed as long as there are coaches for both players.
A properly well-versed coach only further brings out the potential of a player. A player who has
1. better mix ups
2. faster reaction speed
3. notices other issues other than those a coach points out

is still going to win.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
I don't really have a problem with people coaching on the fly.

EDIT: I was going to make a blind joke but then I felt bad.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
Ted: That is correct. Exactly correct.

Cao: Don't take away my chance to DQ Luke!
you dont even need to, just be like your predecessors and go straight to double elim and put me against tibs first round, and the loser of tibs and ted in the second round.

also your rules wont mean **** since me and ted have a telepathic link.
its just too bad that theres no room for communication with it since its just uncontrolled hatred being passed back and forth.

Nova

Banned via Warnings
i
m
o

PS2 = counterpick.
Shaya the SA rules need to be rewritten, several people agree and we'll have them soon.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
you dont even need to, just be like your predecessors and go straight to double elim and put me against tibs first round, and the loser of tibs and ted in the second round.

also your rules wont mean **** since me and ted have a telepathic link.
its just too bad that theres no room for communication with it since its just uncontrolled hatred being passed back and forth.
I can do better than that, I can put you against M2K first round, and then against Hall (cos he was against Havok or some ****).

Get raaaped

tedeth

Smash Master
Just put Luke against Scoot for both games. That way one knocks the other out and we can all chill. :p

Note that if Scoot knocks Luke out Luke might actually knock him out.

MTGod

Smash Champion
Trill's gonna be ejected from the venue :p Bwahaha

Anyway, even if the definition of coaching is subjective, I'm pretty sure everyone recognises the difference between obvious encouragement and obvious coaching... "Come on Toshi!" is encouragement... "Watch out for fsmash Toshi!" is obviously coaching... The grey area is the mix of the two, like "Good fsmash Toshi!", which IMO is okay (it's not really telling him what to do, more an affirmation on what he has done, which is encouragement more than it is coaching)...

If what was said is true about TOs observing important matches, I'm sure they'll warn spectators if they start toeing the line before they remove them :p

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Woah hold up, MTGod's name is Jesse? Holy **** you're Jesse is going to get rolled so ****ing hard by our Jesse at Robocop!

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
thats right, cause ima teach him some cool new tricks
he's gonna style on you son

MTGod

Smash Champion
Why do I keep getting caught up in these sorts-o-things *sigh*...?

EDIT:

So bringing this back on topic...

Corpsecreate

Smash Lord
When it comes to coaching. I dont think there should be any form of coaching simply because a singles tournament is how well YOU play against other players. Getting information from someone else (opponents habits/weaknesses/counterpick stages/characters) is 'cheating' in my opinion. Cheating is probably the wrong word for it but hopefully you know what I mean. If you didnt pick up on someone elses habits yourself then you shouldnt be able to start punishing their habits because someone else told you them.

Coaching is nice tho, its part of how people can improve but when it comes to pure competitive value, it should not be allowed in my opinion.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Coaching is disallowed

- Giving a currently in match player any advice, tips or suggestions that can be seen and or deemed as coaching (tournament organiser's discretion) may result in recourse.
- Giving a player advice during the set in between matches is perfectly fine.

The following courses of action may occur if there is indeed deemed coaching:
- Disqualification of the match / set or the tournament by the player and/or coach.
- Removal from the venue.

"DON'T GET FSMASHED" yelled from a fair distance away won't likely be considered punishable coaching, but "LOOK OUT FOR THE FAST FALL AIR DODGE" or other more explicit tips will.

Tournament organisers may enforce player/audience segregation to avoid the issues of coaching.

Corpsecreate

Smash Lord
- Giving a player advice during the set in between matches is perfectly fine.

"LOOK OUT FOR THE FAST FALL AIR DODGE" or other more explicit tips will.
Arent these one in the same except when advice is given after a match the benefits of the coaching will only apply for the next matches?

tedeth

Smash Master
The difference Corpse, is that one is a reminder about wht move to avoid, one is actually making a read for the person on someone else's habits.

Big difference.

I'm fine with those rules.

MTGod

Smash Champion
Well, it depends - there's plenty of competitive circles that allow coaching between games/matches, probably more than there are that don't allow this... Although it remains to be said: if we allow coaching in between matches of a set this could slow down the set, moreover do people want to have coaching on Counterpicks/bans as well, because allowing coaching between matches will most certainly contain this type of advice :p

It all depends on what the TOs/players want - there isn't necessarily a worse option... Maybe poll it??? (To be honest I'm okay with either, but am used to getting coaching in between games/matches from other competitive circles)

tedeth

Smash Master
'Sif you'd stop people from coaching inbetween games. That would be stupid. If it's reasonable for someone to go and get a drink in the middle of a set, it's reasonable for someone to sit down with them and have a short discussion over CPs.

Corpsecreate

Smash Lord
The difference Corpse, is that one is a reminder about wht move to avoid, one is actually making a read for the person on someone else's habits.

Big difference.

I'm fine with those rules.
There is a difference yes but the general notion of coaching still remains the same. Whether or not the coach happened during or after a match, it still doesnt change the fact that the player that received the information did not pick up on said habits by himself thus making his potential victory not purely a result of his own ability.

Adapting to your enemy is part of what makes brawl competitive, having someone else do it for you is not fair whether it be during or after a match. Again, this is speaking from a pure competitive standpoint.

tedeth

Smash Master
lol **** this hey.

Like th best thing about Majors is the comradery I feel towards my fellow New South Walesians.

No coaching makes tourney less fun.

Top Bottom