• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl on the MLG 2010 Pro Circuit (Edited with Additional Info in first post)

D1

Banned via Administration
I'm not going yo derail the thread but I'll just say I'm probably the only person saddened by this.

How are we gonna manage all these summer events with MLG on the horizon?

Asakura cR

Smash Apprentice
MLG currently doesn't have a specific rule set yet which means they currently have no map selection, time limit, stock limit, character selection, etc... restrictions.

I'm sure they'll announce full rules and settings in the coming days/weeks.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
I'm hoping that "gay play" will be toned down even by those who do it frequently for the future of Brawl on MLG.

Is there a specific reason why they shouldn't simply accept the BBR's ruleset?

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
My first time going in here I already found the answer to that question, at random.

Please do not start insults. I don't report stuff like it often but I've already caught someone talking crap about me behind my back in UB.
Congratulations. Unfortunately I was not blessed with your awesome super sleuth skills. And instead of having this ******** conversation about you snitching on me beacuse you wont answer an honest question, why don't you just say yes or no and answer the question? You wonder why people talk crap behind your back.

From what it seems dragonblooded, they probably just haven't discussed it yet?

RATED

Smash Lord
How gay, am I the only person glad that MLG didn't have Brawl? The only reason I hate it is because because there's no way in hell it will be near Idaho, and it only makes me depressed to know it exists.
I live in Puerto Rico... be happy that still u live in USA.

btw: OMG Brawl is on MLG! woooo!

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
I'm hoping that "gay play" will be toned down even by those who do it frequently for the future of Brawl on MLG.

Is there a specific reason why they shouldn't simply accept the BBR's ruleset?
MK hasn't won a national for some time so...C:

That goes to both you and Bungle. Seriously, I'm just sayin'.You obviously don't care about Brawl. To me ppl theorycraft on "MK ruining this" all day w/ no legitimate evidence just the lack of knowledge w/ the current metagame.

And I never said I reported ur post, calm down. People get upset w/ me for nothing but false assumptions.

RATED

Smash Lord
I just saw the post you quoted....

Let me say right now that MLG invested WAY MORE money into Melee than we ever received in return. Do not say we milked it and then dropped it. Unfortunately as a fledgling company we had to make some tough decisions and Xbox exclusivity was one of them in order to maintain rights for titles. Now we are in a position to be console ambiguous. Please do not make blind assumptions.
I have a question:

I am thinking on going to the Orlando event, the registration is online? or in the venue? since if I were to go ( probably if I get the money) I live at Puerto Rico so I would like to know those things.

also : the PRO status thing is included in the Orlando event?

OfTheEarth

Smash Journeyman
I have a question:

I am thinking on going to the Orlando event, the registration is online? or in the venue? since if I were to go ( probably if I get the money) I live at Puerto Rico so I would like to know those things.

read the thread
it's all in here

and also, yes I just hope they would do something about that
or else i'd be embarrassed to call myself a smasher :(

Asakura cR

Smash Apprentice
I have a question:

To answer your question more specifically, you can buy a pass (register) online or at the door when you get to the event, but there's a good chance that passes will sell out so you're best bet is the buy the pass online as soon as they're for sale.

And to get pro status you have to place top 16 at the live event.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
You're right, I don't care about brawl, but I was jsut curious. I figured you wouldn't report my post, I wouldn't care if you did either.

Either way I'm happy the smash community is going to be recognized for something other than a party game.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Not to disagree with Clap cause he has a bigger say than I. But look, continue to try to grow Melee, get the word out (of which we have some cool smashboards stuff going on in 2010 to try to spread awareness about the community that will bring new faces in), get people to tournaments. I mean if you guys start throwing 400, 500, 600, 1000+ person tournaments, with huge live streams numbers, and so on we will have to take notice.
Apex 2010, Pound 5, Genesis 2 LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOO :):)

OfTheEarth

Smash Journeyman
I am really excited to see if I wil be able to house smashers or not from OOS
i'm looking forward to the new wave of brawlers to come to orlando
looking forward what they have to bring :D

anyone know any big non-FL names coming to this already?

Jem.

Smash Master
Such good news to hear!! :). I'm so excited and if MLG ever needs to ask me anything feel free! Myself, Felix, Nerd, Zex, and Sky will most likely be flying down to Orlando =)

ahchoomattchu

Smash Ace
In general, this should be good news to Smashers regardless of preference. I hope we as a community (not communities i.e. Melee/Brawl, but community as in Smash) can represent ourselves just as well - if not more - as the older generation did before us.

On a side note, the MLG-Melee days had (though Pound 4 also featured) the amazing duo of Husband and Wife with their legendary commentary, and today I guess Melee has HomeMadeWaffles/the new generation of Melee players. Now I'm a guy who's coming from the Melee camp, and I've always been wondering about if the Brawl community has their equivalent of HMW or Husband+Wife commentators. I ask this because I'm curious as to who would be the voice(s) for this upcoming MLG-Brawl generation. For me, part of what made the MLG-Melee days amazing was the presence of such strong and enjoyable commentary coming from The Newlyweds. Usually when I watch an uploaded Brawl match there's either: a) only the game sounds, b) that techno music all you kids apparently have on your hacked Wiis, or c) rather bland commentary due to the game's/players' current, overall competitive metagame.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
In general, this should be good news to Smashers regardless of preference. I hope we as a community (not communities i.e. Melee/Brawl, but community as in Smash) can represent ourselves just as well - if not more - as the older generation did before us.

On a side note, the MLG-Melee days had (though Pound 4 also featured) the amazing duo of Husband and Wife with their legendary commentary, and today I guess Melee has HomeMadeWaffles/the new generation of Melee players. Now I'm a guy who's coming from the Melee camp, and I've always been wondering about if the Brawl community has their equivalent of HMW or Husband+Wife commentators. I ask this because I'm curious as to who would be the voice(s) for this upcoming MLG-Brawl generation. For me, part of what made the MLG-Melee days amazing was the presence of such strong and enjoyable commentary coming from The Newlyweds. Usually when I watch an uploaded Brawl match there's either: a) only the game sounds, b) that techno music all you kids apparently have on your hacked Wiis, or c) rather bland commentary due to the game's/players' current, overall competitive metagame.
Probably Youko and Samurai Panda. They do a very professional job :)

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
I respect MLG as a great business, and I hope this works out for them. I think they've been doing a great job, being one of the top professional gaming leagues in the world, and it certainly hasn't been easy for them. I'm a dedicated melee player, and I've only just recently started to "like" brawl, so I hope melee players will follow my example when I say stop complaining. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, guys.

As someone who absolutely detests brawl let me just say this to every melee player here.

Stop it you idiots.

MLG picking up Brawl wasn't just a smart move, it was an obvious move. There's huge demand for Brawl to be in MLG and the game is literally one of the biggest games of the decade. People play Brawl, ALOT of people play brawl, and they legitimately enjoy it. Its something MLG could possibly make actual profit off of, there's no reason for them not to pick it up.

As for melee, let's see, we're posting our highest numbers for tournaments ever, we're having more worldwide tourneys than ever and we're doing it all without sponsorship and we show no signs of stopping. We're fine. We had our time to shine in MLG now it's Brawls turn, let them have it(lord knows they've earned it playing such a terrible game :p) Dont degenerate this thread into "Our game is better, we deserve it." We play video games. We dont deserve ****.

Edit: DJRome, im apologizing now in advance cus I didn't actually see these last few pages >_> This was not an attack on you.
This post needs to be stickied. lol.
The type of bickering in this thread will make me not want to involve the league in a community. I think I should introduce myself, my name is Adam Apicella, I am the Senior Vice President of League Operations and Production for MLG, I have been with the company since day #1. Along with a few others on my team I make the decision on what games are on the circuit.

I will start off by saying, your post is EXTREMELY insulting and baseless. We game test titles endlessly and do our best to make informed decisions. The grave yard of competitors is filled with the exact 'league' you're describing: making decisions based on $$. We are not willing to pick up a game that is 9 years old, played on a console that is not even sold in retail stores anymore, and has no online capabilities, sorry but there is no growth potential there. Is Melee good? Yes of course it is, but so is Halo 1 and Tecmo Super Bowl. We always strive to pick up titles that have the best competitive merit, a large community, and just overall make sense for the league we have built over 7-8 years. We do not take this responsibility lightly.

Again, please do not ruin this entire announcement with this debate. It is old, and it is the same debate that springs up every time there is a new iteration of a popular competitive title (See Counter Strike, Halo, Street Fighter, etc)

In closing, I would like to officially say that we WILL have a 2v2 side tournament at every event. Details to be released later.
edit: And this post, too.

Thank you so much, MLG.

errr, wait a minute. Let me get this part down.

In closing, I would like to officially say that we WILL have a 2v2 side tournament at every event. Details to be released later.
Does this mean it's not a main event? Only 1v1 is a main event now? D:

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Any post that mentions Melee after this gets a major spam warning. In any context.

The side tournament will, I believe (this isn't official but from what I've gathered so far) will have an entry fee and prizes distributed based on the pot like any of our normal tournaments. It will not have a guaranteed $7,000 prize pool like the singles competition will have.

Conti

Smash Ace
Lol... I'm so happy... I've been sayn brawl shud be on circuit for 2 years... the venues are just spectacular even tho I've nevr been to one I have seen and heard a lot about them... can't wait... where's meadowlands attt

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I have yet to post about my excitement upon hearing the news.

So now I have.
Good job MLG. Time to party.

I am curious as to how MLG's going to deal with the Meta Knight issues, as well as a rule set in general.

OfTheEarth

Smash Journeyman
oh
tambien :D
i'm really so excited because it's like all the smashers from all around the U.S. are gonna be coming to orlando
i want to chill with so many of you guys!

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Um why was smash kicked off MLG in the first place? trying not to say my veiws on other things...
AdamGuyVIPManDudefromMLGHomey said it had something to do with keeping Xbox exclusitivity in order to keep key franchises or something

Hopefully I don't sound ignorant, does this mean that microsoft threatened something if Smash stayed on the circuit?

or maybe my reading comprehension is off today

Top Bottom