• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl on the MLG 2010 Pro Circuit (Edited with Additional Info in first post)

FuLLBLeeD

Smash Journeyman
MvC2 is the last of its series. It never got replaced. TvC is not MvC3. Besides, TvC came out not too long ago. We wouldn't know if it would even ever make it MLG. I doubt it would unless there's a huge fanbase I don't know about.

I'm still disappointed Brawl was added on though. Also, I'm glad that MLG gave smash a chance in general. Melee's chances of making it back to MLG is extremely slim. Let's just leave it at that. We know the reason why Brawl's up there. There's no point in arguing as it won't change MLG's mind. As much as I'd lovee Melee to get back in, I know it won't happen. :(

----

I'm already foreseeing the grand finals as a campfest. Its a lot of money on the line.. who wouldn't want to win that badly even if it means camping for 8 minutes straight? MLG should definitely enforce a "number of ledge grab" rule. A reasonable amount so counting isn't needed but once its over even by 1, that player should be disqualified. This will at least stop all the plankings if it does happen.

Regardless. I hope it will be exciting enough to watch. Good luck to those competing.
Or you know enable items so you can grab like bomb or beam sword and chuck it at the dude who's just hanging off the ledge all game.

Suspect

Smash Hero
They should do EVO's ruleset so every match isn't a Metaknight vs Metaknight snorefest on Battlefield and Final Destination. Then CPU can come back and dominate everyone again.
I hope your post is a joke, especially the last part.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
"OHHHH ****, he hit a move!!! OHHH, he airdodged and hit a move!!! OMG AMAZING DI! DAM!!! HE GOT GRABBED!!! OMG AMAZING DI!! NOW HE GOT GIMPED!!! LOOK AT THAT CAM- I MEAN PATIENT SPACING!!! OMG AMAZING DI!!!"

And no, 90% of Melee player's did not go to Brawl at the start. 20%(including M2K) hated it point blank. I would say 55% went to Brawl when it came out.
To be fair, Melee's had it's fair share of bad commentary too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBns7Jz-Bzo
Though to be fair, that commentator didn't even know the game.

A lot of commentary these days is just more of that, except just a little more informed. And a lot louder.

At the end of the day, if sports like Tennis or long distance running can be commentated, so can Brawl.

황미영

Smash Champion
Lol, MvC2 is still in EVO because it's a traditional fighter where as Melee and Brawl are not seen as a traditional fighter. And a really dedicated community. See the Melty Blood community for example, they banded up together and actually did something to get a spot at EVO.

Those who play Melee just continue what you were doing prior to this announcement. And those who play Brawl rejoice that you have this game to play for a lot of money, if you're lucky. O:

**Havok**

Smash Lord
I'm just happy an opportunity like this has appeared.

Haha, to some extent it almost justifies the amount of time I've put into the game...which is a lot. Almost.

Bring it on MLG.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
I'm just happy an opportunity like this has appeared.

Haha, to some extent it almost justifies the amount of time I've put into the game...which is a lot. Almost.

Bring it on MLG.
havok, why arent u in the brawl backroom? im sure u place well enough at tourneys and have enough knowledge of the game.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
I really hope they have a reasonable stagelist, ie. that they don't ban a bunch of stages like most brawl tournaments do because TOs cater to the whiny scrubs that baww over and over again about how they don't like Pokémon Stadium 2 (ex.) for absolutely no reason.

And yeah this is awesome news.
Knowing MLG, they'll follow the exact rules they have the for the Gamebattles singles ladder.

And I'm really hoping they do teams. I enjoyed watching teams more so than singles when Melee was on the circuit. Definitely fun to watch.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Further melee/brawl crying will receive warnings. The debate has been done to death. I said this earlier but then decided to let some venting but enough is enough this is exciting news to Brawl and has nothing directly to do with Melee. Drop the convo. Don't be tempted to respond to posts before mine (AKA this post).

I'm already getting super hyped for the event in Orlando and I'm really looking forward to seeing all the Brawl guys at a national tournament through MLG for the very first time. You guys are going to LOVE the production MLG puts on, its simply amazing. It will be something you guys have never seen at a Smash tournament. Ever.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Knowing MLG, they'll follow the exact rules they have the for the Gamebattles singles ladder.

And I'm really hoping they do teams. I enjoyed watching teams more so than singles when Melee was on the circuit. Definitely fun to watch.
JV's confirmed that Teams is/are planned.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Oh man this is so sweet. Our patience has finally paid off. I hope this inspires smashers to really step it up now.

Conti

Smash Ace
I'm already getting super hyped for the event in Orlando and I'm really looking forward to seeing all the Brawl guys at a national tournament through MLG for the very first time. You guys are going to LOVE the production MLG puts on, its simply amazing. It will be something you guys have never seen at a Smash tournament. Ever.
It really will... MLG has changed a lot since melee was on the circuit... brawl is about to be really big... these events r gunna be double the size of melee probly due to popularity increase... also there might be people who will start playn brawl now because they saw it on mlg... overall this is going to be amazing and I can't wait for the meadowlands event... the second they announce it I'm req'ing off and planning a hotel...
[Also as an exhalo player I can finally see halo live and watch neighbor n othr pros f ppl up :) ]

Also this is great opprotunity for top players n crews to find a sponser [sponsers like mlg] so yea... id look into that if ur that good ;)

DanteFox

Smash Champion
didnt 90% 64 players drop that for melee? didnt 90% drop melee for brawl? ( when it first came out) i fail to see ur point home skillet.
you missed the point. a good number of smashers came back to melee and 64. I don't see that happening with brawl.

let me spell it out for you and then I'm done:

--brawl is popular because it's new. games like starcraft, MvC2 and melee are popular because they're good games.

--MLG picked up brawl because it's popular. Popularity = $$$

--ergo, brawl is on the circuit because it's newer than melee. the game being played doesn't matter to the people that make these kinds of decisions.

MrMLGAdam

MLG EVP
you missed the point. a good number of smashers came back to melee and 64. I don't see that happening with brawl.

let me spell it out for you and then I'm done:

--brawl is popular because it's new. games like starcraft, MvC2 and melee are popular because they're good games.

--MLG picked up brawl because it's popular. Popularity = $$$

--ergo, brawl is on the circuit because it's newer than melee. the game being played doesn't matter to the people that make these kinds of decisions.

The type of bickering in this thread will make me not want to involve the league in a community. I think I should introduce myself, my name is Adam Apicella, I am the Senior Vice President of League Operations and Production for MLG, I have been with the company since day #1. Along with a few others on my team I make the decision on what games are on the circuit.

I will start off by saying, your post is EXTREMELY insulting and baseless. We game test titles endlessly and do our best to make informed decisions. The grave yard of competitors is filled with the exact 'league' you're describing: making decisions based on $$. We are not willing to pick up a game that is 9 years old, played on a console that is not even sold in retail stores anymore, and has no online capabilities, sorry but there is no growth potential there. Is Melee good? Yes of course it is, but so is Halo 1 and Tecmo Super Bowl. We always strive to pick up titles that have the best competitive merit, a large community, and just overall make sense for the league we have built over 7-8 years. We do not take this responsibility lightly.

Again, please do not ruin this entire announcement with this debate. It is old, and it is the same debate that springs up every time there is a new iteration of a popular competitive title (See Counter Strike, Halo, Street Fighter, etc)

In closing, I would like to officially say that we WILL have a 2v2 side tournament at every event. Details to be released later.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Amazing.

I am super excited for this. I just bought a wii because of this.

HYPE HYPE HYPE

MrMLGAdam

MLG EVP
The type of bickering in this thread will make me not want to involve the league in a community. I think I should introduce myself, my name is Adam Apicella, I am the Senior Vice President of League Operations and Production for MLG, I have been with the company since day #1. Along with a few others on my team I make the decision on what games are on the circuit.

I will start off by saying, your post is EXTREMELY insulting and baseless. We game test titles endlessly and do our best to make informed decisions. The grave yard of competitors is filled with the exact 'league' you're describing: making decisions based on $$. We are not willing to pick up a game that is 9 years old, played on a console that is not even sold in retail stores anymore, and has no online capabilities, sorry but there is no growth potential there. Is Melee good? Yes of course it is, but so is Halo 1 and Tecmo Super Bowl. We always strive to pick up titles that have the best competitive merit, a large community, and just overall make sense for the league we have built over 7-8 years. We do not take this responsibility lightly.

Again, please do not ruin this entire announcement with this debate. It is old, and it is the same debate that springs up every time there is a new iteration of a popular competitive title (See Counter Strike, Halo, Street Fighter, etc)

In closing, I would like to officially say that we WILL have a 2v2 side tournament at every event. Details to be released later.
New page, want this to be seen.

IrisKong

Smash Lord
I suppose ill get down on this...Im sure it was already answered, but Is doubles happening as well or just singles?

MrMLGAdam

MLG EVP
Just so everyone is clear, the online qualifiers are NOT required, and they will not start until AFTER Orlando. Details will be released soon on the entire circuit very soon. Here is what I can confirm, and look for a post from JV soon:

-We WILL have 2v2, 100% pot payout
-After columbus the top 16 in rank points will be 'Pro' and will receive a $200 travel stipend to the next event
-Invites to Nationals will be done by cumulative rank points, with more details to be released later

Like I said, JV will post more later, but if you are serious about competing you should try to attend all of the MLG events.

MrMLGAdam

MLG EVP
So, I live in Orlando
I can walk to this this
the day of the event
and compete?
I would assume it is going to sell out. We will be opening registration soon on our website, I strongly recommend buying a pass when they go on sale. (Halo sells out in 30 minutes)

OfTheEarth

Smash Journeyman
holy cow
and how much is it? i know there is a big
BIG orlando smash scene
how much areyou expecting, and what is the limit?
i'd be bringing my 2 brothers and a butt load of friends I know that I've told and ARE signing up

MrMLGAdam

MLG EVP
Full details will come soon on Hotel, venue, registration, etc. very soon (keep checking MLGpro.com)

I also wanted to clarify:

The entire top 16 will get $200 stipends, free entry, a pro pass for entry to the pro lounge, and pro bracket seeding (skipping the open bracket)

Asakura cR

Smash Apprentice
SO there isnt even any info on MLG Columbus yet as far as reg?
I believe they said when registration would open up for Online Ladder and for the event. Not sure 100% sure though. If not, we'll know either sometime soon or very shorty after Orlando.

Asakura cR

Smash Apprentice
Full details will come soon on Hotel, venue, registration, etc. very soon (keep checking MLGpro.com)

I also wanted to clarify:

The entire top 16 will get $200 stipends, free entry, a pro pass for entry to the pro lounge, and pro bracket seeding (skipping the open bracket)
This isn't specifically a response to this post, but I just wanted to say that even though there are some people who think this is a bad call (putting Brawl on the Circuit) and even with some of my own criticisms about newer games being on the circuit (I don't mind, I always end up loving the newer game more given time) that I really appreciate and am very excited about MLG having Smash back on the circuit, this is amazing news and I'm completely rejuvenated about this season after hearing this.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Some questions:

-Will Orlando be random seeding due to no predecessor online qualifier?
-Will the rules be the ones used on GB
-Will MLG be returning to NJ or NY this season? Maybe even CT?

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
There needs to be an MLG event in North Carolina, no one does it like the catfish. i mean c'mon, national airship is gonna be here, u know we da ****.

Top Bottom