• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl on the MLG 2010 Pro Circuit (Edited with Additional Info in first post)

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
lol at brawl being "successful." I can guarantee you, when the next smash bros. game comes out, 90% of brawl players will drop brawl and pick that up, and unless brawl's metagame goes through a serious revolution, I don't see them coming back.
didnt 90% 64 players drop that for melee? didnt 90% drop melee for brawl? ( when it first came out) i fail to see ur point home skillet.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
"OHHHH ****, he hit a move!!! OHHH, he airdodged and hit a move!!! OMG AMAZING DI! DAM!!! HE GOT GRABBED!!! OMG AMAZING DI!! NOW HE GOT GIMPED!!! LOOK AT THAT CAM- I MEAN PATIENT SPACING!!! OMG AMAZING DI!!!"

And no, 90% of Melee player's did not go to Brawl at the start. 20%(including M2K) hated it point blank. I would say 55% went to Brawl when it came out.

Asakura cR

Smash Apprentice
And no, 90% of Melee player's did not go to Brawl at the start. 20%(including M2K) hated it point blank. I would say 55% went to Brawl when it came out.
The same can be said about Halo:CE to Halo 2, Halo 2 to Halo 3 and Gears of War 1 to Gears of War 2.

Top players and amateur players all had issues with the game being easier or somehow worse than the previous game but played the newer game all the same. MLG would never add an old game to the circuit, it just wouldn't make sense since there is always a larger fanbase for the sequel.

Take CoD:MW2 for instance. In many peoples opinion, MW2 takes very little skill. However, a company isn't likely to pick up the more competitive, more skillful prequel for a few reasons.

1. Less skill = larger amount of people playing the game. (Let's be honest, would more people play a game that's really competitive but hard to play or a less competitive game that's easy to pick up?)

2. More people = more money. Plain and simple.

So while Melee may or may not be a better game, Brawl is more recent and has a larger general fanbase than Melee does at this point.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I said nother about Melee being in the circuit in that sentence wtf.

people who pick easy games for the sake of easy are called lazy nubs. straight up.

Asakura cR

Smash Apprentice
I said nother about Melee being in the circuit in that sentence wtf.

people who pick easy games for the sake of easy are called lazy nubs. straight up.
I'm not sure if you were referring to me or not, but I think you were.

People aren't really picking up the game because it's easy. It's just a general statement that a larger group of people play a sequel to a game. In most cases, that sequel is an easier game. (See: Halo 3, Gears of War 2, CoD:MW2, etc...)

And since there is a more major tournament scene for the newer (and yet easier) games, people will play that game for the most part.

It's not a "playing the game because it's easier" thing, it's just a matter of having a larger group of people playing the game in general, not competitively, and companies (ie. MLG) only sponsoring newer games, and not older (albiet more competitive) games.

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
As someone said before in another thread, it seems that Brawl is just a cash cow, as soon as MLG is done milking it, they'll drop it like they did Melee.

Before you people blindly scream "TROLL!" or "OLD F@G" or something, think about it. It's what they did to Melee, basically.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
i mean...they're a business. mlg uses us to make money, we use mlg to get new players...makes sense

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I would expect Brawl to be replaced by the next Smash and so on in a continual cycle. Just like H2 replaced H1 and H3 replaced H2 and GOW2 replaced GOW1 and they are using Tekken 6 instead of Tekken 1-5 and they are using the most recent Madden instead of using Madden 2005 and so on and so forth.

How the logic of this is often missed by people quite frequently astounds me.

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
What I think is foolish is the fact that they take in the games, and then make them thrive, but when they leave, regardless of the game's population flourishing or not, they don't consider taking it back. Maybe, if there was game favored above a later version, if they were to take it in later on it would thrive more, and in turn, it would be a good progression for both the game and MLG.

Also, I was not referring to Melee, just to the fact that they seem to only believe in: "out with the old, in with the new"

@ ETWIST51294:

That is a good point, if it did, Melee would've been dropped from MLG, when Brawl came out.

Asakura cR

Smash Apprentice
But... Brawl didn't replace Melee...
In response to this and the last post, it sort of did.

Back in 2007, Melee WAS on the MLG Pro Circuit. It hasn't been in the 2008 and 2009 season but that's not the point I'm making.

I also never said anything about Melee being on the circuit, I was just giving examples of other games that have had "more competitive" prequels but the newer game was on the circuit anyway.

All I'm trying to say is that MLG is putting the newer game on the circuit because that's how you make the most money.

I would expect Brawl to be replaced by the next Smash and so on in a continual cycle. Just like H2 replaced H1 and H3 replaced H2 and GOW2 replaced GOW1 and they are using Tekken 6 instead of Tekken 1-5 and they are using the most recent Madden instead of using Madden 2005 and so on and so forth.

And this is also pretty much my thoughts.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
So anything new is better to yall? Gucci Mane and Lil Wayne are better than Big Daddy Kane and LL Cool J then? Because they're new right? Sounds like ****** logic to me.

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
But like I said, doing that without knowing whether or not another game is flourishing, or doing it regardless of the fact is foolish.

Now I will actually bring it up, it's not as if Melee is dead or anything, it's anything but that. If anything, the Melee crowd hasn't gotten worse at all either. Milking off of the few people who are extremely viable in Brawl tournaments is all they'll be doing.

Suspect

Smash Hero

I think they are mad cause brawl is so simple compared to melee and boring to watch. If it wasn't then they wouldn't care about it "replacing" melee. You are talking about a game that has all these stupid hacked versions of it to make it "better" or "more fun"

Asakura cR

Smash Apprentice
So anything new is better to yall? Gucci Mane and Lil Wayne are better than Big Daddy Kane and LL Cool J then? Because they're new right? Sounds like ****** logic to me.
You're really missing the point here. No one said anything about one game being "better" than the other, all I'm trying to say is that Brawl is NEWER and more PROFITABLE. Just like with every other game on the MLG Pro Circuit, the older game has been replaced by the newer game, not because it's a "better" or "worse" game, but because it's a newer game.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I know, but Marvel's still in EVO, isn't it? WHY??? TvC is out, it's NEWER. But it's still in. **** MLG. I love it yet I hate it.

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
But...if they sponsored Melee...no milking would go on at all.

Right.
Didn't say that, now did I? In fact, I believe, if they did sponsor Melee, more Milking would go on. No one ever saw me say I wanted Melee back on the scene. That's my reason why. Nothing to do with MLG will obviously ever be permanent. IN fact! If this does somehow do good for Melee as well, I'll be glad that Brawl was chosen to be sponsored. Until then, I have mixed feelings.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Didn't say that, now did I? In fact, I believe, if they did sponsor Melee, more Milking would go on. No one ever saw me say I wanted Melee back on the scene. That's my reason why. Nothing to do with MLG will obviously ever be permanent. IN fact! If this does somehow do good for Melee as well, I'll be glad that Brawl was chosen to be sponsored. Until then, I have mixed feelings.
Fair enough. I don't know why people would ever consider this a bad thing though. More exposure is more exposure, and this community desperately needed a professional image.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
lol.

the last thing this community needs is a professional image. We're pretty insulated and always have been, mostly because smash as a franchise has been seen as a bunch of kiddie games. Honestly, smash games (not as much now but definitely a lot before) were the butt of many jokes on srk and other fighting game forums/communities. Guess what was the first step that began to change that? Action-packed MLG melee finals.

Yes, brawl might be more profitable now, but what I don't understand is why melee was ever dropped in the first place (making room for brawl can be argued, but then again, all it would take to run melee is an equal number of discs to wiis+tvs provided, assuming that they scheduled those two events on different days).

FuLLBLeeD

Smash Journeyman
They should do EVO's ruleset so every match isn't a Metaknight vs Metaknight snorefest on Battlefield and Final Destination. Then CPU can come back and dominate everyone again.

Rikana

Smash Champion
I know, but Marvel's still in EVO, isn't it? WHY??? TvC is out, it's NEWER. But it's still in. **** MLG. I love it yet I hate it.
MvC2 is the last of its series. It never got replaced. TvC is not MvC3. Besides, TvC came out not too long ago. We wouldn't know if it would even ever make it MLG. I doubt it would unless there's a huge fanbase I don't know about.

I'm still disappointed Brawl was added on though. Also, I'm glad that MLG gave smash a chance in general. Melee's chances of making it back to MLG is extremely slim. Let's just leave it at that. We know the reason why Brawl's up there. There's no point in arguing as it won't change MLG's mind. As much as I'd lovee Melee to get back in, I know it won't happen. :(

----

I'm already foreseeing the grand finals as a campfest. Its a lot of money on the line.. who wouldn't want to win that badly even if it means camping for 8 minutes straight? MLG should definitely enforce a "number of ledge grab" rule. A reasonable amount so counting isn't needed but once its over even by 1, that player should be disqualified. This will at least stop all the plankings if it does happen.

Regardless. I hope it will be exciting enough to watch. Good luck to those competing.

Top Bottom