• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl - More balanced than Melee? Lie or truth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I haven't checked the "dont use lucas or ness in tournaments" topic lately, nor do i use characters that can pull it off (:(), but for those that can, how bad is the marth vs lucas/ness matchup now?
Marth vs. Ness is easily 8-2, maybe even 9-1.
Marth vs Lucas is 7-3 on Emblem Lord's matchup chart.

Ness can be infinite grabbed by Marth, Ivysuar, and Charizard
Lucas can be chaingrabbed (not an infinite, but still a very deadly chaingrab) by Marth with Marth dash grabbing from the grab release.

Grab releases give you a free smash attack on either character.

betterthanbonds9

Smash Ace
Marth vs. Ness is easily 8-2, maybe even 9-1.
Marth vs Lucas is 7-3 on Emblem Lord's matchup chart.

Ness can be infinite grabbed by Marth, Ivysuar, and Charizard
Lucas can be chaingrabbed (not an infinite, but still a very deadly chaingrab) by Marth with Marth dash grabbing from the grab release.

Grab releases give you a free smash attack on either character.
i know how it works....just wondering more if a "counter" of sorts had been found, apparently not, but thanks for the input!

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Most characters in Brawl stand a decent chance, we just haven't developed our meta games enough, especially for edge games. That is why Snakes are almost as dominate as the space animals in Melee. Brawl's edge games will be much diffrent from Melee's, and require more precise timings and whatnot, and are generally more advanced (except less characters can spike. :mad:). Once we develop more advanced edge games, I see Meta Knight, Snake, Pit, and others slip on the tiers. Thus-Brawl will become more balanced.

We definitely don't have any smash 64 Links or Samus', or any Melee Pichus, Kirbys, Zeldas, or Mewtwos. Still...some characters already (Booser anyone?) don't stand a chance in most, if not all situations. In fact, Bowser is probably actually worse then he was in Melee, thanks to his attacks not being overwhelmining damaging, he doesn't have huge knockback. and his attacks are either slow or hardly above average attack power. Bowser just lacks killing power, strong moves (kinda like how Ike has), and overwhelming range. And he's a big, slow, and fat target to top it off. See what I mean=??? (sorry Gimpy :()

Overall, heavy characters are pretty much going to have a few high priorety moves, and just use those, thanks to no L-cancelling. Like seriously...why the f*** is L-cancelling not even a automatic=??? It's easy as crap to do, anyways. Anyways, Ike, Bowser (even if he's basically screwed, minus Gimpy and a few other good dedicated followers), G'dizzle, and the King have to focus on move execution, and really time it right, thanks to no L-cancelling. Ike has his range, and has some fairly fast attacks in his "Leaf Combo" (thanks to that post by leaf, that is now it's official name in the holy book of Johnknight1ism! :laugh: Which I just made up 5 seconds ago! :chuckle:), Ike can mix it up. G'dizzle IDK about, but at least his fB can tech chase, and his dB and fB cover a good range of area (though they are predictable). Overall, the heaviest heavy characters are basically screwed.

Brawl isn't amazingly balanced or anything. Any deaf person could see Bowser is nowhere near as good as Snake, Marth, or Toon Link. Link has apparent flaws that should have been fixed, and Samus does as well, amongst other characters as well. We've just dug into the meta game of Brawl. Japan and free loaders (nothing personal against them) have had the game for not even 5 months. America has had Brawl for about 2 1/2 months. We're finding more new techniques each week. If you doubt me, search recent threads (to futher prove my point). Snake and Meta Knight are going to go down in tiers, and will stop being as dominate, once we figure out the edge meta game for each character, and learn to counter them (as well as work the annoying spike system for some characters! :mad:). Once we learn how to work that, Snake's recovery can easily be countered, and he won't be such a recovery God anymore.

Basically...what I'm saying is as of right now, Brawl is getting generally more and more balanced. We're finding techniques for the mid tiers-the heart of the game (basically) that allows them to at least keep up somewhat with the top tiers. Maybe they are still lagging behind, but they are still fairing fairly well against them. There hasn't been any big set back since that ever-famous up smash sliding manuever (with Snake >_<), the Ice Climber's infinite grab, and the Ness-Lucas hitstun issues (and the fact that Yoshi and Marth can basically infinitely release grab them). However, there could be a set back at anytime, with new techniques being found that could more or less break this balance.

All in all, Brawl seems to be set to have more percentage-wise useable characters and characters that can compete. However, anything can break that balance, like in the past. In-game depth can hurt or help this balance, and anything can basically happen. So far Brawl seems to be the most balanced of the three (followed by smash 64 percetange-wise, and Melee character-wise), but it can more or less be broken as of now. It's not too close to call, but the balance can easily be broken, basically. It's too early to be confident in which way it will go, but the balance seems to be leaning towards Brawl as of now. But as with everything else-anything can happen. Let us hope the balance of Brawl continues to get better and better, as it generally seems to be set to be.

FeArTeHsMaSh

Smash Cadet
How about if people can't make posts that reflect actual knowledge of the game, they don't make posts at all?

Fact of the matter is that Snake and Metaknight are easily two of Brawl's most dominant characters. At Pound 3 Mango's Jigglypuff beat M2K's Marth, Fox and Sheik.
You are ********.

C wut I did there?

Stop going around throwing out empty insults just to increase your post count, hypocrite.

And you use one example to justify how low tiers in Melee stand a better chance than low tiers in Brawl? That doesn't change the fact that Falco/Fox are easily two of Melee's most dominant characters. For a while Jiggs was riding the high tier due to the debate of his Wall of Pain, and higher tiered characters in Brawl have won tournaments as well, not just Snake and Meta Knight.

Radical Dreamer

Smash Ace
I only mentioned Mango's Jigglypuff in response to the citation of Futile's Wario.

The people I called ******** earned it. Anyone with even a moderate amount of experience in both games can see this.

Scala

Smash Ace
At this point in time, I believe that brawl is more balanced than melee due to the size of the range from good characters to bad characters being smaller in brawl than it is in melee. I consider myself a very competent player in terms of skill, but have run into players using "garbage" characters (yoshi) that beat me.

In melee it was simply not possible for someone to beat a good fox with a mid to low tier character. In brawl, it's entirely possible for just about anyone to hold his own weight in a fight.

I didn't say the analogy was accurate at all, only that it correctly portrays the current situation. Obviously a chess grandmaster, upon first learning the rules of tic tac toe, probably wouldn't even need to play the game before laughing at it and mocking it.
The analogy would be better off comparing Chess and Checkers.

A chess player would look at a game of checkers and decide that it looks too simple.
However, both games have their own respective depth and are still competitive. While chess is more complex, it doesn't make it less competitive than checkers. (inb4 guru states checkers is shallow)

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER

A chess player would look at a game of checkers and decide that it looks too simple.
However, both games have their own respective depth and are still competitive. While chess is more complex, it doesn't make it less competitive than checkers. (inb4 guru states checkers is shallow)
See article "Checkers is Solved."
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/rapidpdf/317/5844/1518.pdf?ijkey=jVmVcXy2/NTnY&keytype=ref&siteid=sci

R i p

Smash Cadet
What do people mean by balance? There's two ways to look at it, at least for a fighter game:

a) Number of acceptable choices in the roster.
b) Roster proportionally balanced.

I think more importance falls into category a, but perhaps you can't just ignore category b.

Bowser... attacks not being overwhelmingly damaging, he doesn't have huge knockback. and his attacks are either slow or hardly above average attack power. Bowser just lacks killing power, strong moves... and overwhelming range.
Uh... I can't say I agree with most or any of this. Maybe in the air? Bowser has quite a few of kill moves, several range options, and not all of his are that slow. Jab, F-tilt, D-tilt, and U-tilt all say you're wrong about that last one.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
Junk: go and connect 4 are nothing the same either. So stop being ironically hypocritical.

People, lower tiered chars in melee stood a chance against the higher tiers. Many lower tier chars had chaingrabs on the heavies, and thanks to l-cancelling and wavedashing could still keep up when it came to spacing and punishing and comboing.

In brawl, the lack of above mentioned aspects makes it less balanced, and more favorable to people with quick, lagless attacks with range (MK, marth, for example)

∫unk

Smash Master
Junk: go and connect 4 are nothing the same either. So stop being ironically hypocritical.
lol at trying to command me with a redundant statement.

I just went by what a connect 4 tournament player (who also happens to play go) said... the strategies are similar. Maybe he sucks at go. Either way other game references are stupid and shouldn't be used. My point was if there had to be a game reference connect 4 to go would be closer. Perhaps I wasn't being clear on that.

If anyone can conclude that melee or brawl is more balanced right now is completely stupid.

∫unk

Smash Master
So much better than brawl. Lol, at least in melee low tiers can beat high ones.
You realize the development of high tiers is going to be faster than low tiers. There needs more time before the Fumi of brawl pops up. And where's the top pros losing to low tiers (pc, mew2king, etc)? All I saw in the few videos I watched was decent players losing to low tiers which happens in brawl too.

I still think in the end melee low tiers will have a better chance against high tiers than brawl, but I think brawl mid/high tiers have a better chance to win a tournament than melee mid tiers. This is mostly because there's a larger cast for Brawl but it's still true.

Byronman

Smash Journeyman

That seems to be the case here. All these melee players are disappointed with brawl and can't accept that this was the game that they thought would kill melee.

Corigames

Smash Hero
And why not? That's like buying an expansion pack for a game and losing a bunch of options and getting nothing back. And EVERYBODY loves the expansion pack so you are nearly forced to get it because no one plays the old version.

Byronman

Smash Journeyman
And why not? That's like buying an expansion pack for a game and losing a bunch of options and getting nothing back. And EVERYBODY loves the expansion pack so you are nearly forced to get it because no one plays the old version.
Brawl did add a bunch of options as well. I can't see why so many people are upset about a speed loss and a loss of many pro techniques.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Brawl did add a bunch of options as well. I can't see why so many people are upset about a speed loss and a loss of many pro techniques.
Yes, in return for the options of edgeguarding from the stage, comboing, and moving quickly with nearly any character, we get Spicy Curry Brawl, Subspace Emissary, and Wifi. ; j

Byronman

Smash Journeyman
Yes, in return for the options of edgeguarding from the stage, comboing, and moving quickly with nearly any character, we get Spicy Curry Brawl, Subspace Emissary, and Wifi. ; j
Well, wifi is not that bad, and you can still combo. Edge-guarding from the stage and not moving quickly with every character is something you will just have to deal with or work around. Besides, what was wrong with the subspace emissary?

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Its because of some requirement that Brawl has, the bar I have is the delicious blue color of epicness.
Check your router settings, I've never had any noticable lag in my games unless someone was using two more computers that were downloading heavy packages.

Even the few that have a red dot don't lag much for me either.

RDK

Smash Hero
Besides, what WASN'T wrong with the subspace emissary?
Fixed.

Also, you can't truly combo in Brawl. Not enough hitstun. If you ARE able to pull off a combo, it's usually only at certain percentages, or it's a fault of your opponent's.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Let's get this thread back on topic.

Brawl, in my my opinion, is not more balanced than Melee. Continue discussing.

Fawriel

Smash Master

I think anyone who followed this thread for a while should be able to agree with this. If Brawl isn't less balanced, it's still just about as balanced at best.

I'll try to come up with brief ways of summarizing what most people should be able to agree on, because it's apparently a hobby of mine to come up with exciting ways of making known how disappointed I am in a game that I wasted half a year of my life waiting for!

1) The difference between the lowest and top characters both in Melee and Brawl are ridiculous. Melee had one guy who's fast as lightning and kills before you know what hit you, while the lowest is slow, light and weak. Anyone who thought that these are balanced must have a few screws loose. And Brawl has a guy who's just absurd in every single respect and a guy who's absolutely lousy at everything and is still weaker than all the other faster heavyweights. Anyone who thinks that these are balanced must have a few screws loose.

2) L-canceling. Both games have a ridiculous difference in the usefulness of the top and bottom, but advanced techniques, available to everyone, evened it out in Melee. Especially l-canceling. Since useless characters are generally considered such due to slowness, it's simple math: If Fox's lag is 2, his l-canceled lag is 1, if Ganondorf's lag is 8, his l-canceled lag is 4.
In Brawl, Metaknight's lag is 0.2 and Ganondorf's lag is 120 and that's that.

... I forgot what I was going for here.

fridayslobster

Smash Apprentice
I think anyone who followed this thread for a while should be able to agree with this. If Brawl isn't less balanced, it's still just about as balanced at best.

I'll try to come up with brief ways of summarizing what most people should be able to agree on, because it's apparently a hobby of mine to come up with exciting ways of making known how disappointed I am in a game that I wasted half a year of my life waiting for!

1) The difference between the lowest and top characters both in Melee and Brawl are ridiculous. Melee had one guy who's fast as lightning and kills before you know what hit you, while the lowest is slow, light and weak. Anyone who thought that these are balanced must have a few screws loose. And Brawl has a guy who's just absurd in every single respect and a guy who's absolutely lousy at everything and is still weaker than all the other faster heavyweights. Anyone who thinks that these are balanced must have a few screws loose.

2) L-canceling. Both games have a ridiculous difference in the usefulness of the top and bottom, but advanced techniques, available to everyone, evened it out in Melee. Especially l-canceling. Since useless characters are generally considered such due to slowness, it's simple math: If Fox's lag is 2, his l-canceled lag is 1, if Ganondorf's lag is 8, his l-canceled lag is 4.

I still think that its too early in the meta game to take the possibility of l-canceling totally out of the equation, however if all your arguments stay valid as we get later into the meta game you do have some good points.

Samochan

Smash Master
I still think that its too early in the meta game to take the possibility of l-canceling totally out of the equation, however if all your arguments stay valid as we get later into the meta game you do have some good points.
There's no L-canceling on brawl and never will be, only autocanceling. Unless you meant something completely different, in which case I failed to understand your post. <_<

Hoff

Smash Cadet
SNAKE F-TILT, SNAKE F-TILT, SNAKE POWERSHIELD, SNAKE U-TILT, SNAKE F-TILT, GRENADE, SNAKE DASH ATTACK, KO!

But more to the point:

These 'too early' arguments drive me nuts. Thankfully, you weren't comparing the timeline to Melee, which is a ridiculous comparison given the size and talent and dedication differences between the 2001 and 2008 smash communities. But still, it seems to be more a denial argument in most cases rather than an open-minded attitude. If there is a way to decrease the lag on non-auto-cancelled aerials, it either would have been found out by now or, when found out, would probably be way to difficult to implement or repeat.

Byronman

Smash Journeyman
Fixed.

Also, you can't truly combo in Brawl. Not enough hitstun. If you ARE able to pull off a combo, it's usually only at certain percentages, or it's a fault of your opponent's.

What do you mean "fixed?" and @ankoku, I think you're right in that we should avoid getting into this other topic and get back to the regular one. The second part I do not agree with =)

But I will have to agree with this. You make a good point. I guess technically I just contradicted myself but whatever go with the second thing.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
This thread has divulged into downright absurdity.

Do you people understand that during the course of this thread's life, what has been argued has changed multiple times?

-Initially, Marth was unbeatable.
-Then it was Toon Link, and Olimar was thrown up there too.
-Then it was big-scary Meta-knight who was imbalanced...
-Today the flavor of the month is Snake.

Same thing with the worst character:

-Before the game came out in the US, I saw most people regard ICs as the worst since they have no chaingrabs.
-Oops, turns out that was ********. Initially with the game though, everyone just knew that Yoshi was terrible.
-Then, lol, j/k, it's actually Ganondorf.
-No wait, Ganondorf is just hard to learn. OMG, grab-release johns, Ness and Lucas are worthless!
-Wait, false alarm. The one doing worst in the tourneys though, is Samus!

Bonus points to whoever guesses the next top and bottom character!

You cannot argue that the game is imbalanced according to a changing standard. Yes, Snake is a good character. So are Meta-knight and DeDeDe and Falco. They are more or less high tier by any definition. However, darkrain's most recent tourney featured 7 unique characters among the top 8 players, and none of them were playing as Snake, Meta-Knight, DeDeDe, or Falco. Heck, none of the Marths, Toon Links, or Olimars everyone was so scarred of either! There were over 20 characters represented in the 32 bracketed players!

That is hard, hard fact! You cannot disagree with these results. If other regions focused on rapid-breeding Snake's metagame ASAP so that he was the only viable character with developed strategies, that is their problem and not mine or the game's.

Look, I play Ganondorf. If you are going to tell me that my main is the worst in the game, that's fine. If you are going to tell me he is as relatively bad as Pichu, Kirby, Mewtwo, and Bowser in Melee, you are only going to make a fool of yourself.

AlexX

Smash Ace
However, darkrain's most recent tourney featured 7 unique characters among the top 8 players, and none of them were playing as Snake, Meta-Knight, DeDeDe, or Falco. Heck, none of the Marths, Toon Links, or Olimars everyone was so scarred of either! There were over 20 characters represented in the 32 bracketed players!
While we're on the subject of tournaments, the convention I was at last weekend also held a Brawl tournament. We didn't get to finish it for reasons beyond our control, but the rules were standard tournament stuff, so I think it still counts. Top players were represented by G&W, Pokemon Trainer, and Lucas (and possibly Olimar as well if it had lasted long enough to see how well I did in the later rounds, but I honestly can't say for sure).

Byronman

Smash Journeyman

Do you people understand that during the course of this thread's life, what has been argued has changed multiple times?

-Before the game came out in the US, I saw most people regard ICs as the worst since they have no chaingrabs.
-Oops, turns out that was ********. Initially with the game though, everyone just knew that Yoshi was terrible.
-No wait, Ganondorf is just hard to learn. OMG, grab-release johns, Ness and Lucas are worthless!

You cannot argue that the game is imbalanced according to a changing standard. Yes, Snake is a good character. So are Meta-knight and DeDeDe and Falco. They are more or less high tier by any definition. However, darkrain's most recent tourney featured 7 unique characters among the top 8 players, and none of them were playing as Snake, Meta-Knight, DeDeDe, or Falco. Heck, none of the Marths, Toon Links, or Olimars everyone was so scarred of either! There were over 20 characters represented in the 32 bracketed players!

That is hard, hard fact! You cannot disagree with these results. If other regions focused on rapid-breeding Snake's metagame ASAP so that he was the only viable character with developed strategies, that is their problem and not mine or the game's.

Look, I play Ganondorf. If you are going to tell me that my main is the worst in the game, that's fine. If you are going to tell me he is as relatively bad as Pichu, Kirby, Mewtwo, and Bowser in Melee, you are only going to make a fool of yourself.
Well, tiers for Brawl are yet to be determined as new techniques are being discovered, more tournaments need to be held, etc, etc. I guess you have a good point and that this helps my argument...

I worded that waaaaaaay too wierdly.

Radical Dreamer

Smash Ace

You are ********. Ganondorf is actually worse than Pichu, Kirby, Mewtwo and Bowser in Melee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom