• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Information Compendium & Social

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmCtH2QTsPw

It's an alternative for true pivoting. The second video was half naritake step, and half dash pivot canceling into smashes. :V
I saw that video a long time ago. I don't think that the video is very convincing because there might be other things that determine when your character trips, like the controller port or the color of your character. anyone else have proof?

theunabletable

Smash Lord
PCS files don't affect things like physics, or tripping, or attacks; so, no, color has nothing to do with it.

Here's a test to see if controller port affects it: Pick Ice Climbers, and do the same thing seen in the above video. It'll be completely random for when Popo trips vs when Nana trips.

You could try asking around in the smash workshop on how and why the no tripping code works, if you're still not convinced that it's completely random.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
It means that Luigi's Mansion is a counterpick because 0 people voted for it to be neutral, 15 people voted for it to be a counterpick and 8 voted for it to be banned.

VK-137

Smash Apprentice
About this part of the ruleset:

Any action which prevents the game from continuing (i.e. by causing the game to crash or causing all characters to freeze indefinitely) is banned. If the Tournament Organizer or a judge can conclusively determine the player responsible for the failure, that player loses the interrupted game. Players are expected to know their characters and prevent this from happening.

I've never really heard of that happening.... Anyone know what stuff can cause it?

Chsal

Smash Journeyman
Theres some pretty situational stuff that do that, I don't think its ever happened to me.

Like...
I believe theres a glitch where if one character grabs another on a slope, one character will be in a grabbing pose and the other will be spazzing. It can be stopped by the grabber doing any action, but if he doesn't do anything... the game is unplayable.

Needs specific characters and stages though.
(Ike grabbing DDD on Corneria is one I believe).

Yikarur

Smash Master
there is another rule for such freezes which said that the frozen character has to be hit out of it so that the game can continue.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
0 people voted for the stage to be neutral
15 people voted for the stage to be counterpick.
8 people voted for the stage to be banned.

majority vote makes the stage counterpick legal.

-Jedi-

Smash Rookie
Is there anybody around here that capable of finding out frame data and willing to lend a hand? The Link boards over on AiB are in need of Link's shield advantage data on all of his moves and don't have anybody capable of getting them.
^^^^^^^^^^

Chaos Swordsman

Smash Apprentice
Quick questions: Who are the top three characters with the best ground game/approach, and who are the top three characters with the best air game/approach, bar MK?

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Quick questions: Who are the top three characters with the best ground game/approach, and who are the top three characters with the best air game/approach, bar MK?
Very subjective and difficult to answer but, bar MK, here are a few characters that can contend for 'best' ground game:

Ground Game: Diddy Kong, Falco, Olimar, Snake

Air game is harder to answer because even though you have characters like Marth or Jigglypuff being very good in the air, MK just sort of really overshadows that area.

All IMO.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Question: Jump Cancelling.

What is it? What are its benefits? What actions can be "jump canceled"? Etc.

Yikarur

Smash Master
you can jump cancel upsmash and upB to make it possible to do them with tap-jump on. That makes it possible to press jump out of shield and then do upsmash/upB without shield drop lag.

Yikarur

Smash Master
button mashing! but you need to get a feeling for it, you are invincible in the first couple of frames after you get out so you have a free hit on yoshi if the yoshi is lurking in front of the egg.

srk99

Smash Cadet
Is it possible to get out of Dededes chain grab/infinite?

I heard over the weekend that you could and it was slightly explianed to me, but I didnt catch it 100% (or even 20% of it). As the title says, is it possible?

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
You can mash out of the grab, and since D3 is required to pummel certain characters after 5 dthrows, then at times, yes. At later percents, no. If you have questions about the infinite on a particular character, please ask about that character (Mario, Luigi, DK, Samus, Bowser, Dedede).

If you are too high to mash out when D3 does the 1 pummel, or if you are one of the characters D3 isn't required to pummel, then it is impossible to escape.

I'm moving this thread to Q/A

Yikarur

Smash Master
How does one perform platform cancelling?
there are many ways, the easiest is to press the c-stick down while you cross a moving (mainly SV) platform. If your character has a dair that doesn't work you can press the stick down and do another aerial while crossing.

How do you reverse Usmash?
you dash, reverse aerial rush aka press the stick in the opposite direction and then a jump cancelled upsmash.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
and theres also a freeze glitch with the ICs in melee that leave the opponent perpetually encased in ice.
...WTF.

No!

The Freeze Glitch keeps them stuck in their position and frame of animation, not stuck in a block of ice. O_o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiZaRysBQz8&feature=related example video

Also, Sheik can crash the game if she does the chain jacket glitch without something to jacket, and Diddy has multiple freezes, such as if he gets attacked or interrupted during his uthrow.

The grab thing however is not infinite (usually), and merely extends how long they are in a grab most of the time.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
^If you use an ice attack during the freeze glitch that would cause them to get frozen in ice (such as blizzard), they'll be stuck frozen in the ice forever. Just by the way.

What caues a projectile to get deflected at odd angles when powershielded? Most of the time I see it disappear when powershielded, but on the rare occasion you see it deflect at angles like lucario's aura sphere.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
What caues a projectile to get deflected at odd angles when powershielded? Most of the time I see it disappear when powershielded, but on the rare occasion you see it deflect at angles like lucario's aura sphere.
This is imporant. Ive been wondering this for a while, since with characters like lucario, this can drop stocks in doubles.

Just to throw in an observation of mine. Typically, whenever I have seen this happen, it occured whenever the projectile was powershielded inside the characters shield.

I know that sounds odd, but it sort of makes sense when you consider the fact that shields are larger than the hurtbox. Stand next to a mine (not on it). The mine does not blow up. But as soon as you shield, the mine explodes and you just powershielded.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Buffering is a term for inputting a move before you can perform it. In Brawl, you have a 10-frame (1/6 of a second) window to do this. It allows you to use the move or action you wish to do next as soon as possible.

For example, let's say you're using Zelda, and you want to use your Jab after using an Up Smash. During the last few frames of your Up Smash, you press A, even though you're still in another animation. If done correctly, the Jab's start-up time will only be as long as it takes for the hitbox of her jab to come out.

I've heard the word "buffer" many times throughout SWF, and i finally want to ask what it really is

Buffering is whenever you press a button, tilt a control stick, etc. in a certain 10 frames before a move ends.

Say you forward smash as Marth. In the last 10 frames of the attack, you can input another attack such as ftilt. When fsmash finishes, the ftilt that you 'buffered' will come out as soon as fsmash finished.

The ability to buffer attacks allows the attacks to come out as soon as possible. This is good because it allows you to ignore the human errors that pop up when trying to time attacks.

Use what KoFu said. I am a slow typist that says much lol

Sharky

Smash Master
how many frames, on average, do you have to buffer moves, and how much does it vary by?

also you don't need to powershield to bounce projectiles, eggs bounce off the top of people's normal shields all the time from the ledge =D

-LzR-

Smash Hero
The projectile bouncing off of shields doesn't need a powershield, it sometimes seems to happen at normal shields too. I think it removes the hitbox of it thought. I don't think it matters at all in brawl.

Tesh

Smash Hero
It doesn't matter in singles, the hitbox disappears for the player that fires it and the player that shields it. But I have seen it hit a 3rd person in doubles.

Top Bottom