• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Information Compendium & Social

Sharky

Smash Master
It doesn't matter in singles, the hitbox disappears for the player that fires it and the player that shields it. But I have seen it hit a 3rd person in doubles.
again, I refer to Yoshi's egg bouncing straight up off an opponent's shield and coming back down on them and hitting them.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I thought eggs had 2 hitboxes. Then again, I can't think of any other non-item projectile that would come back down after a bounce. Doesn't shielding something negate the hitbox that you shield?

It would be nice to know how to cause that though.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
ive seen gordos bounce off of peoples shield and then move through the stage very very slowly. but if never been bold enough to jump into it again to see if the hitbox was still on it, but i think i did see a video of a ddd vs a wolf, where the wolf shielded the gordo, and than the ddd threw him back into it and it killed him. so im pretty sure the hitboxes dont go away in those cases.

Yikarur

Smash Master
it's a fighting game rule that a hitbox can only interact one time with the character :0

I am not talking about projectiles that bounce off shields, I am talking about projectiles that actually deflect off from their normal trajectories.

Bombs, boomerangs, grenades, naners, etc. I all know they bounce off. But they do not deflect off at weird angles. I am talking about projectiles that typically disappear such as lasers, aura sphere, etc. I have gotten hit by an aura sphere in my shield and instead of it going away, it flys off at a 45 degree angle instead of parallel along the ground. I even once had wolf's blaster laser do the same thing.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
IMO it's more like a very specific hurtbox located around thehead of the character (larger than the real hurtbox) can be footstooled.
It doesn't matter if the opponent is shielding/attacking/dodging, as long as you hit jump when on the "footstool hurtbox" you get the extra jump.

I've got no scientific proof to back this up, just a feeling from experience.

Also I dunno if it's possible to footstool an invincible/edgehogging opponent.

Tesh

Smash Hero
You can't footstool invincible people. You won't even get the jump.

AfroQT

Smash Master
Correct. Also, to clarify, it's the hitbox of Footstooling that is larger than it seems. There is no additional "larger hurtbox"

And you can footstool a person holding the ledge, just not while they're still invincible.
Pierce to the rescue good stuff right there bro. With some G I Joe PSA THE MORE YOU KNOW thats what i wanna see man.

Chsal

Smash Journeyman
Just something I was curious about, that doesn't really have practical use :

Is it possible to get hit by say, a jab (Or anything really) and SDI across the map to the other side? Assuming you can button mash at ridiculous speeds.

Or is there a maximum number of SDIs you can have per frame of hitstun?

Luxor

Smash Champion
You can only get one input of SDI per frame of hitlag, so the distance you can move does have a limit. However, that doesn't mean the distance you warp isn't mindblowing. See CPU/Mr. Doom SDI.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
I've noticed recently in my university's game room that a lot of lower level Brawl players tend to waste their second jumps. Has anyone started a thread about that before? I think it's important to be very careful to conserve jumps, and it is also important to realize how vulnerable someone is after they are out of jumps. Is there a thread that talks about this?

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
I've noticed recently in my university's game room that a lot of lower level Brawl players tend to waste their second jumps. Has anyone started a thread about that before? I think it's important to be very careful to conserve jumps, and it is also important to realize how vulnerable someone is after they are out of jumps. Is there a thread that talks about this?
There's no need. Just use Meta Knight, King Dedede or anyone with a strong fair/bair/spike and smack them out of their jump if they waste it, or edgehog them, or use Lucas and laugh at them with PK Thunder, or use some sort of projectile to force them to airdodge, then edgehog them. There are countless ways to punish a person who wastes their second jump and make their life hell. Most involve gimping them because they're dumb.

I recommend using King Dedede, chaingrabbing them to the ledge, then immediately fsmash when you send them offstage with the last dthrow (not fthrow). It should work at least twice per person. If they try to attack back, mix up some shield grabs into more dthrows/fthrows. If they try to airdodge, just grab them as they land, or dsmash. If they decide to fall and wait (highly unlikely at low levels), run off and bair them away and proceed to edgeguard. MK works too (lol shuttle loop/dair/fair/nair/drillrush).

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
It really doesn't need a thread.

Use your jump when you'd die of horizontal knockback otherwise (character specific, acquired by experience), or when it is required to avoid a gimp/edgehog attempt (matchup/situation specific).

Else don't use it.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Do wall jumps "decay"?
I was playing on a custom stage and trying to stall the match by wall jumping against a roof and inbetween two blocks, but I died after a while because I started not being able to jump as quickly or as far or something.

EDIT: **** it, this was not what I wanted my 2000th post to be.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
It's just how many you do consecutively. If you landed after making them really small, you could wall jump just fine again.

jamesfoote

Smash Rookie
I am caught in a bind. I'm semi-new to Brawl and I have been asking my brother (he's a much better player than I) for help. He says I have to learn the game. How do I do this? What steps do I take? Can someone describe to me how to get better at the game. As opposed to getting better with a character of course.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
First learn the basic techniques of high-tier play, and learn to do them consistently:
-Short hops
-Autocanceling aerials
-Pivot grabs
-Momentum canceling
-Ways of recovery for your character(s)
-B-reversals

Then learn some advanced techniques, like:
-Glide tossing
-Boost Up-Smash (DACUS)
-Platform canceling
-Other character-specific ATs

Then learn how to be as mobile as possible with your character. This includes fast-falling, running, walking, jumping, and rolling.

But above all, practice. Brawl is largely a mental game, where you need to consistently out-think and predict your opponent. This really only comes through practice, because you need to know both your character and the character of the foe.

Jonas

Smash Champion
If your brother is much better than you, you're going to lose a lot when you play against him. Don't take this too hard. When you lose, think about why you lost and consider ways to avoid getting hit. This is the sort of mindset you need to have. Play to improve, not necessarily to win. It's really great if you can record matches somehow (maybe replays if your matches are short enough) so you can analyse the match.

Chsal

Smash Journeyman
You can probably buffer a turnaround and jump for a "pivot jump". But no you can't RAR.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Direct me to the thread that indicates what most of these Brawl terms mean. So far have common ones down like "example: Fair instead of A+Right/Left or USmash instead of Cstick Up" (Atleast how I indicated them when I played melee years ago)"
Basically want to learn crap like "Sour Spot" "Sweet Spot" Wombo combo blah blah blah etc.
Just think I might as well brush up on this stuff since i'm learning MU's Best/worst stages are certain characters.

Luxor

Smash Champion
There's a terms list in the stickies here in tactical, but it's old and was meh to start with. Just lurk, read, and pick up terms as you go along.

Top Bottom