• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Information Compendium & Social

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
Is it possible to stutter-step dsmash?

I think that's the right term, when tapping with analog and doing a smash immediately and sliding a little first.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
I know you can pivot Dsmash.
Simply cancel a dash dance with a Dsmash (Cstick prefered), you'll Dsmash while facing the other way though.

If there's a way to do it without pivots I'd like to know.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The ai in this game does learn and does cater toward the things the humans do on that particular wii.

But that doesnt mean you can gain anything from them in terms of learning how to be a high level tournament player

:phone:
Wow, do people still believe this?

The AI in Brawl doesn't learn. Period. Replays of AI players have zero inputs recorded for the AI players. Given that, you'd expect desynchs all around the moment someone watches the replay on another Wii with completely different play "learned" on it, or even the same Wii in the future, but there are none. Therefore Brawl AI's only variability is in the random seed assigned to it, which is preserved in a replay.

SoulPech

Smash Master
Wow, do people still believe this?

The AI in Brawl doesn't learn. Period. Replays of AI players have zero inputs recorded for the AI players. Given that, you'd expect desynchs all around the moment someone watches the replay on another Wii with completely different play "learned" on it, or even the same Wii in the future, but there are none. Therefore Brawl AI's only variability is in the random seed assigned to it, which is preserved in a replay.
wait we're still discussing this?

:phone:

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
If I footstool an airbourne opponent during the non-invincible frames of their airdodge, do they get hard footstooled (I just made up that term, I mean the footstool where they actually get sent downward tumbling and stuff)?

What about during the cooldown of an aerial/special (ie they're still stuck in the animation but they don't have a hitbox out anymore). Does it vary, or is there some sort of general pattern?

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
Footstooling kinda gets to me at times... At times when I want to try to footstool someone, I get footstooled instead and sometimes it registers me using my Double Jump so I can't recover >__>
On that note, does Peach tumble if she is footstooled while floating?

Anyways, I know this is a character specific question, but how exactly is Ness' (and I think Lucas' too?) Double Jump "unique" compared to everyone else's? I never really understood how. :p (Besides being able to DJC with specials lol)

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i dont think peach stops floating if you footstool her.

as far as double jumping. i cant explain it right, so ill let someone who can do it better handle that one.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
The only different things I can tell from them are that they're higher than most DJs with a slower rising speed, as well as spending much more time at the apex of the jump)

And I think they move slightly downwards at the very beginning of the jump.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Yeah the "move downward at the beginning of twice jump" is an artifact of all Melee characters who could DJC (Peach, Yoshi, Ness, Mewtwo), and probably given to Lucas to emulate Ness' animation style. Other than that I don't see much different about it.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
The way the momentum works for the double jumps is weird. This results in momentum interrupting actions such as PK Fire causing Zap Jumping.

Myollnir

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I've got a question!
What's the frame advantage for an air release? Is it the same for any character?
Thanks in advance.

Edit : nvm, someone else has already anwsered me. Everyone has a 50 frame animation when they get released (except jigglypuff = 49) right?

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Jigglypuff's air release is 1 frame shorter than most people (so I guess 49)
Ness&Lucas I think are 10 frames longer than most people (so I guess 60) on ground release

And Bowser (when releasing other characters) has 10 frames less lag (ie most people when they release others suffer I think 2030 frames of lag, Bowser suffers 1020 frames)

Myollnir

Smash Ace
I don't think Ness and Lucas are 10 frames longer than other chars, but I would like to have someone confirm this. Also I think it's 30 for every char and 20 for Bowser.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Oh yeah I missed the part where you guys were talking about air releases only.

Ness and Lucas only have that 10 extra on the ground release

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Oops yeah I can't do math. Pretty sure it's 30 for every and 20 for Bowser.
Also what Flayl said. Though I'm fairly certain DK's air release is normal.

No we were talking about air releases and ground releases

Flayl

Smash Hero
hitbox is out frame 6 so no

we have a rock paper scissors thing going on with klaw out of a ground release, if we win we get 18%

Myollnir

Smash Ace
EXCEPT FOR SQUIRTLE who has a jiggly puff problem the producers of the game likely forgot a frame for he has a 29 frame recovery when holding his opponents....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is not true, everyone has a 29 frame recovery afaik.

Tesh

Smash Hero
yea, its 29 for the grabber and 30 for the poor guy being released.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
So I'm looking at some ZSS frame data
I look at her usmash and see that some hitboxes are out on the same frame, some are listed as OC hitboxes while others are listed as AOC hitboxes.

What do OC and AOC mean? And SOC? (dsmash)

allshort17

Smash Ace
So I'm looking at some ZSS frame data
I look at her usmash and see that some hitboxes are out on the same frame, some are listed as OC hitboxes while others are listed as AOC hitboxes.

What do OC and AOC mean? And SOC? (dsmash)
Can you explain to me how to read that frame data? Also, is there anywhere I can find trajectories on moves? I don't mind if they are character specific links.

Top Bottom