• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl+ (Competitive Hacks): Codes, Videos, and Discussion (THREAD OUT OF DATE)

kupo15

Smash Hero
He wanted to increase grab power in order to make the shields more vulnerable.
No, I never wanted to increase the power of grabs as far as knockback or shear killing strength like in 64. I wanted more hit stun so that grabs actually lead to things instead of nothing. Like Project said, Brawls grabs are laughable.
And yes, grabbing is really powerful now as far as ease with shield grabbing but its something we've had to deal with and this just means you still cant be stupid on your approach. Shield grabbing was in melee unless you were a space animal. Dont expect to be able to approach with any move wildly for shield pressure and not expect to be punished for it unless your playing 64.

Mocha19

Smash Journeyman
I have a quick question..

Wouldn't hitstun make chaingrabs even longer than normal with the exception of DDD's? Or is there a way to fix that? Just wondering..

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
Um...I don't know if it's been said or nott....buuuut...
I think the elite edgeguard from Melee should be added, y'know...rolling onto the stage so the opponent couldnt grab the ledge until your rolling animation was finished? I kinda miss that...
no, wtf

10whatastupidrequests

Me_Aludes

Smash Apprentice
Um...I don't know if it's been said or nott....buuuut...
I think the elite edgeguard from Melee should be added, y'know...rolling onto the stage so the opponent couldnt grab the ledge until your rolling animation was finished? I kinda miss that...
That would affect only to characters with crappy recovery. Metaknight-like recoveries (MK, Wario, DDD?, ROB) don't really need to grab the ledge. So the current gap between some characters would become even bigger.

Not a bad idea though, if someone manages to do it we should try it. I just think that it wouldn't fit in Brawl at all.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I have a quick question..

Wouldn't hitstun make chaingrabs even longer than normal with the exception of DDD's? Or is there a way to fix that? Just wondering..
No it wouldn't. Im pretty sure it only applies to moves that put you in the tumble but since Falco's CG doesn't until you are high, it wouldn't affect you. You can DI away and not be in the tumble.

Eten

Smash Ace
I've been watching these threads since the first one with wavedashing, and I was wondering how we're ever going to come to a concensus on what features we want in Brawl+. There are so many differing opinions when it comes to air dodge, s/l-canceling, gravity, etc. Are we going to be able to come up with a game that will leave everyone satisfied? Or are we just going to go with whatever the majority wants?
Produce up the codes first, and then try to have the SBR group pick it up and make their list of what they think is best. That's how I'd like to see it run, anyway.

What I was saying earlier about shields...
Shield pressure is an obvious yes, shield-break combos is a no. You can avoid shield-break combos simply by not letting shieldstun get too high. Combination of things like auto L-cancel with simply doubling shieldstun from what it is now probably won't create shield-break combos, so it is totally fine. You had to use some pretty specific stuff to pull it off in melee and those "tricks" aren't in Brawl so I doubt we'd see shield break combos unless we were specifically looking to introduce so much shieldstun to create shield break combos. Which is what I don't want, obviously.

And power shielding has little to do with how strong grabs are. If you powershield a move, you can pretty much do whatever you want afterwards, not just grabs. You can make the timing a little harder, I don't care- a person good enough to powershield most things is going to be seriously aided both on the offense and on the defense and there is little to be done about that.

FINALLY:
Brawl grabs aren't useless. Just some are more useful than others. Luigi has great follow-ups out of his dthrow, Kirby's fthrow can chain into aerials, especially his uair, and then be followed up with another grab and fthrow, repeated depending on how fast the opponent falls. It's not a combo, but fthrow to chasing with the aerial hammer is a good way to get kills too. Then there are the throws that can kill- Squirtle, anyone? Not every throw is going to be as useful in comboing and killing, some characters are going to have no real awesome followup out of a throw, like Sheik, but she still gets good use out of throws all of the time because of her fast/good grab range makes it a safe and easy option for damage.

It's not actually all that different from melee, where some characters simply had all-around hideous throws. Throws, overall, are fine, even if you feel they are not because Falcon isn't comboing out of his Fthrow anymore.

Same thing goes with the high "knockback" on moves preventing combos in brawl unless we introduced more hitstun. Combos didn't appear out of nothing in melee either, you did have to use the moves that had either fixed(or partially fixed) knockback, weak knockback, or sent them in a very ideal trajectory that was easy to follow up on based on the speed of your character(part of which was wavedashing) and the different lag-cancelling tools at hand. There are still fixed knockback moves in brawl, weak knockback moves, and fast/mobile characters in brawl, and when combined the right way they really don't suffer at creating momentum at all. This is why I've been repeatedly been saying I don't think more hitstun is actually needed once you fix the broken attack/airdodge halfway out of hitstun part that could cause you to get hit in retaliation of the lag of your own move(kinda like the result of what a perma-crouch cancel would cause). Sometimes I feel as if I'm playing an entirely different game from some of you. Sure, tweak the hitstun around a bit, but you're really not going to much more out of what is already there unless you break it.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Sadly, SBR wants nothing to do with this project, so turning to them isn't really much of an option.

Mocha19

Smash Journeyman
Wasn't SBR considering at least hacking the game in order to balance it out with the characters or something of the sort? It'd seem like this would be a good start and at least it's for fun. It definitely brings a change to scenery for once. =P

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
Shield grabbing was in melee unless you were a space animal.
Or, if you were smart and could jab, Sheik, Marth (u- or d-tilt rather), Falcon, Samus, Peach, maybe even Ganon. :p

If someone could kindly explain why they think it'd be better otherwise, I actually wouldn't mind playing with grabs and shieldstun the way they are. It's easier to punish approaches, but won't do as much unless the person is good at reading your next reaction.

kupo15

Smash Hero
To play along with you Eten, please name 1 or two characters who had horrible throws in melee as in, not one of their throws are useful in the slightest for anything. Im not saying that there arent good throws out there in brawl, its just that its pretty scarce which is one small reason why brawl is more unbalanced.

Why do you think MK is the best character in the game without hacks? Because he is the only one that can actually combo. He imbalances the game by being the only one who can combo (not talking about juggling) The same can be applied for brawl+ grabs. If we only allow 3 chars to have useful throws, that imbalances the throw game.

Of course if there is too much stun, we WILL bring it down. We are NOT trying to break this game. The only way we can make it more balanced is by trying things, failing, trying again.

Or, if you were smart and could jab, Sheik, Marth (u- or d-tilt rather), Falcon, Samus, Peach, maybe even Ganon. :p

If someone could kindly explain why they think it'd be better otherwise, I actually wouldn't mind playing with grabs and shieldstun the way they are. It's easier to punish approaches, but won't do as much unless the person is good at reading your next reaction.
True, forgot to mention that also. I am fine with the way things are now as far as shield stun, but Im willing to try things out. You just cant be reckless in your approach and increasing shield stun shouldn't be a license to be reckless in your approach.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Wasn't SBR considering at least hacking the game in order to balance it out with the characters or something of the sort? It'd seem like this would be a good start and at least it's for fun. It definitely brings a change to scenery for once. =P
Nope. That was Samurai Panda's idea alone to my understanding.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
I have a suggestion for OP.

Can you fix Ness', Lucas' and Wario's grab release animations? Like for Ness and Lucas, increase their distance of their release and decrease their time length.

For Wario, make it so his jumpbreak moves backwards. (not just straight up)

SketchHurricane

Smash Ace
I think the OP should put a notice that this project has nothing to do with balancing characters. The grab release thing is actually an example of the rare occasion you would want to tweak a character, but it's still low priority compared to global tweaks.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I'm a little late about this but how exactly is R.O.B fixed?
Fixed
I think the OP should put a notice that this project has nothing to do with balancing characters. The grab release thing is actually an example of the rare occasion you would want to tweak a character, but it's still low priority compared to global tweaks.
Yes. Guys, this has nothing to do with character fixes. Only global fixes like hitstun and l canceling and stuff. Game mechanics that were taken out that affect everyone universally.

Almas

Smash Lord
I'm a little late about this but how exactly is R.O.B fixed?
ROB has no falling animation. Previously, the wavedash code caused characters to enter their falling animation after airdodging in the air. A contradiction occurs.

The code was modified so that instead of entering your falling animation, you simply lose the ability to input any non-directional commands. You can still footstool.

So now the wavedash code causes no glitches for ROB.

Selfish plug: ROB Brawl+ Tricks

Just from a few minutes of playing around, shows some stuff that can be done with the code. Ledge-drop to waveland is very effective for punishing people too close to the edge who don't expect it, I think.

Alopex

Smash Ace
No, I never wanted to increase the power of grabs as far as knockback or shear killing strength like in 64. I wanted more hit stun so that grabs actually lead to things instead of nothing. Like Project said, Brawls grabs are laughable.
And yes, grabbing is really powerful now as far as ease with shield grabbing but its something we've had to deal with and this just means you still cant be stupid on your approach. Shield grabbing was in melee unless you were a space animal. Dont expect to be able to approach with any move wildly for shield pressure and not expect to be punished for it unless your playing 64.
When I said "he", I was referring to C_Ferris32, who wanted to increase grab power as an anti-shield measure.

Of course we'll still have to be careful with our approached, but shieldstun will let us actually approach in a variety of viable ways without getting punished with extreme ease. Right now, Brawl favours the defense to the extreme, forcing the approaching player to far more careful and precise. It's an extremely unbalanced mechanism that makes one side inherently have to try harder then the other side even in a match of equal skill level.

Shield grabbing in Melee wasn't as dominant as it is in Brawl, but of course it was still in. It has to be, it's needed defense mechanism. But Melee struck a balance in keeping shield grabbing viable (so that the approacher had to be smart) but also tricky due to shieldstun and shield pressure (so the defender had to be smart). It meant both offense and defense had to be focused at all times.

It was like I said before, the defense will never be too weak, and the shield grab will always be an important defense tool. It just shouldn't be so easy to be defensive like it is in Brawl currently. And for that, it's the shield that needs to be fixed, NOT the grab. I just wanted to emphasize that. But we agree on all this kupo, I think we're just making points the other already agrees with, heh.

Aside from what I wrote above, there are a couple more points I'll add in response to you, Yeroc.

It's true that Melee had shieldgrabs too and they were always something to be watched out for.
In Melee, though, the shield drop lag was what let you prevent constant out of shield attacks. It was what let you get in those jabs or fast attacks after getting your opponent to drop the shield.

In Brawl, the shield drop lag is practically non-existent. What this means is that, in Brawl, not only can you laglessly grab out of shields, but there are a lot of other things that can be done too, often very dangerous things like DDD's Utilt.
So you can't attempt to punish a shield with an attack in a lot of cases, because you'll have lag from the attack you used to hit the shield while the defender will laglessly attack you.
The ease of the Perfect Shield adds to that, because it is completely and rapidly lagless and extremely easy to pull off and lets you do anything after it.

On top of that, Brawl is slow enough that it makes reading and predicting a lot easier than it should be, and this is a massive imbalance when you look at how fast you're allowed to react out of shields and Perfect Shields. Especially when you look at how the lack of shieldstun allows you to continuously conserve your shield so that you never have to be afraid. You never have to fear being put into a bad spot by a shield because the shield gives you tons of stunless freedom.

Grabs are fine. I don't know why we're talking about them still.
Shield grabs in Melee are not the defensive problem.
There's nothing wrong with grabs. There are things wrong with other things - grabs just get affected.
No, shields are the problem.

What I was saying earlier about shields...
Shield pressure is an obvious yes, shield-break combos is a no. You can avoid shield-break combos simply by not letting shieldstun get too high. Combination of things like auto L-cancel with simply doubling shieldstun from what it is now probably won't create shield-break combos, so it is totally fine. You had to use some pretty specific stuff to pull it off in melee and those "tricks" aren't in Brawl so I doubt we'd see shield break combos unless we were specifically looking to introduce so much shieldstun to create shield break combos. Which is what I don't want, obviously.
I think you missed my previous post about this.

I said in that post that shield-break combos in Melee were actually more often just shield pressure combos. And there were rarely actually combos, just a combination of a multi-hit attack followed by another attack if you managed to get the transition done laglessly.

Those tricks are still in Brawl, because one of those tricks was just Yoshi's Dair. In Brawl, you can go from Yoshi's Dair to an Utilt easily. That's a shield pressure combo. If the opponent isn't quick enough to react, then the Yoshi could pull a Dair->Dair and get a shieldbreak combo.
So such shield-breaking possibilities will definitely exist with shieldstun. It's not a matter of us putting it in, it's a matter of people having the technical ability to do it on an opponent which is too slow or unaware to react properly.

They were rare in Melee. Exceedingly rare. You never saw them happen in competitive play. It should be the same in Brawl+, and the Brawl+ Project needs to make sure of that. Shield-break "combos" don't break the game and it's not something we should be afraid of, not if they're incorporated in Brawl+ like they were in Melee.

And power shielding has little to do with how strong grabs are. If you powershield a move, you can pretty much do whatever you want afterwards, not just grabs. You can make the timing a little harder, I don't care- a person good enough to powershield most things is going to be seriously aided both on the offense and on the defense and there is little to be done about that.
Perfect Shielding is broken entirely. And I've been saying the whole time that it is FAR too easy as it is and needs to have the timing made more difficult.

In Melee, you pretty much never saw a powershield. The powershield was never something anyone relied upon in Melee like they do in Brawl. You never saw the powershield intentionally being used in competitive play, it was always luck.
Brawl's Perfect Shield is ridiculous. It's extremely powerful and extremely easy. Something that strong shouldn't be so easily pulled off.

Now, we don't have to make the timing as impossible as Melee timing was, but it should not be something people rely on like it currently is in Brawl.

FINALLY:
Brawl grabs aren't useless. Just some are more useful than others. Luigi has great follow-ups out of his dthrow, Kirby's fthrow can chain into aerials, especially his uair, and then be followed up with another grab and fthrow, repeated depending on how fast the opponent falls. It's not a combo, but fthrow to chasing with the aerial hammer is a good way to get kills too. Then there are the throws that can kill- Squirtle, anyone? Not every throw is going to be as useful in comboing and killing, some characters are going to have no real awesome followup out of a throw, like Sheik, but she still gets good use out of throws all of the time because of her fast/good grab range makes it a safe and easy option for damage.

Same thing goes with the high "knockback" on moves preventing combos in brawl unless we introduced more hitstun. Combos didn't appear out of nothing in melee either, you did have to use the moves that had either fixed(or partially fixed) knockback, weak knockback, or sent them in a very ideal trajectory that was easy to follow up on based on the speed of your character(part of which was wavedashing) and the different lag-cancelling tools at hand. There are still fixed knockback moves in brawl, weak knockback moves, and fast/mobile characters in brawl, and when combined the right way they really don't suffer at creating momentum at all. This is why I've been repeatedly been saying I don't think more hitstun is actually needed once you fix the broken attack/airdodge halfway out of hitstun part that could cause you to get hit in retaliation of the lag of your own move(kinda like the result of what a perma-crouch cancel would cause). Sometimes I feel as if I'm playing an entirely different game from some of you. Sure, tweak the hitstun around a bit, but you're really not going to much more out of what is already there unless you break it.
Agree with everything except the Melee grab thing, which kupo already responded to.

But I want to respond to the part in bold and underlined:

That, I believe, is what the current hitstun code does. But it doesn't seem to be doing enough, and that's why there's talk of actually increasing the hitstun in general, if possible.

I have a suggestion for OP.

Can you fix Ness', Lucas' and Wario's grab release animations? Like for Ness and Lucas, increase their distance of their release and decrease their time length.

For Wario, make it so his jumpbreak moves backwards. (not just straight up)
Ideally, we should change the grab-release-into-the-air animation the same as it was in Melee. In other words, it would just release you into a regular jump. Brawl's unique release animations are full of problems.
Unfortunately, this is something that likely won't be able to fit into the final product due to the 256 lines of code limit and other things having more priority.

OMG long post in long...

Eten

Smash Ace
It sounds like me and you Alopex are on the same page. Just different ways of saying the same thing.

Only one thing though. Shield drop lag doesn't effect shieldgrabs. That's the definition of any out of shield move- it skips the shield drop lag part.

Alopex

Smash Ace
True facts. I edited the relevant parts to reflect the actual problems of shield laglessness.

Shield-grabs aren't a problem, so I don't want it to seem like I have a problem with it.

Almas

Smash Lord
The L-cancelling code may be changed to change the timing (if possible), and also Auto-L-cancelling may be considered (since not all characters benefit from L-cancelling, it seems somewhat unfair that some characters should have to learn the tech and others not). I don't think it's a big priority ATM.

kupo15

Smash Hero
The L-cancelling code may be changed to change the timing (if possible), and also Auto-L-cancelling may be considered (since not all characters benefit from L-cancelling, it seems somewhat unfair that some characters should have to learn the tech and others not). I don't think it's a big priority ATM.
Yup, its not on the priority list but it needs to be tweaked a bit. Auto l canceling would be nice.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
Hopefully when we decide on all the codes that will be in we can have a pre-made file like in the tutorial and name it Brawl+, I don't like using the code manager sometimes. :p

Besides that would be better so all the codes would match online.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Hopefully when we decide on all the codes that will be in we can have a pre-made file like in the tutorial and name it Brawl+, I don't like using the code manager sometimes. :p

Besides that would be better so all the codes would match online.
Well... that's the plan. I'd worry more about what we need to do right now, though, as in figuring out what we need done, and how best to do it.

edit: 1111 posts!

Sanu

Smash Champion
I played with the hitstun code today... didn't really notice a difference o_O

I had the melee wavedash and l-cancel code enabled too. Am I doing something wrong? lol.

Lanstar

Smash Journeyman
how does the hit stun work is it a set amount for each hit or is it based off of how much damage a move inflicts how does the code work?

Oracle

Smash Master
The problem is knockback. The main issue with brawl + is the knockback. Compare falcon's nair in brawl to his in melee at 0%. Brawl's sends the enemy much farther. You need knockback reduction codes.

Basically, each attack gains knockback at a linear level for all attacks, and the starting point for knockback has varied in each game. In the original, all moves other than smashes and throws had no knockback whatsoever from 0 to about 20%, which is why you see Isai and other pro's at the original play a hit and run game until the damage racks up enough to start combos. The developer's realized this problem, and thus made melee to make non smashes/throws have ok knockback at low percent, some, such captian falcon's nair and uair, are good for comboing at 0%. Brawl has a ridiculous startup knockback on all "combo moves". The only way to actually make it competitive is to reduce knockback on certain moves.

SketchHurricane

Smash Ace
The problem is knockback. The main issue with brawl + is the knockback. Compare falcon's nair in brawl to his in melee at 0%. Brawl's sends the enemy much farther. You need knockback reduction codes.
This.

Leaf mentioned move decay in his post, and it hit me: why don't we use move decay to help us out with our combo project? We could try a hack that defaults every move to max decay. This would cause less knockback while leaving hitstun alone, right? Combine that with the hitstun code, and we could create that combo environment we've been aiming for! I'll admit that I don't really know much about move decay, and it's possible that it also effects hitstun. Some research needs to be done, but it seems like a fairly low-line code that could at least be tested.

You probably immediately considered this problem, though: If we are decreasing knockback, we're increasing survivability, so that might not be a good idea in the first place. The addition of gravity would increase bottom deaths, but top and side deaths would be a lot harder with max decay. Perhaps there is a way to have the code only active during the lower percents. In other words, set it up so that it only effects hits below, say, 50%. After 50, normal decay would resume, which would put kills back to normal while increasing low percent comboability.

Aside from the kill problem, there is one BIG advantage if this could be pulled off: it would nerf a few of DDD's infinites! If you recall, DDD's infinites on Luigi, Mario and Samus stop working after 5 throws because the move decay, for some reason, actually pushes them farther instead of closer. If max decay is on at all times, DDD won't be able to infinite them at all. If normal decay kicks in around 50, that still 50% where you don't have to worry about the infinite.

What I DON'T know is how decay effects the other grabs in the game. I'm pretty sure there are no infinites that become possible because of decay, but you never know.

At any rate, what do you guys think? Worth a try?
10selfquotes

hippyman69

Smash Apprentice

Basically, each attack gains knockback at a linear level for all attacks, and the starting point for knockback has varied in each game. In the original, all moves other than smashes and throws had no knockback whatsoever from 0 to about 20%, which is why you see Isai and other pro's at the original play a hit and run game until the damage racks up enough to start combos. The developer's realized this problem, and thus made melee to make non smashes/throws have ok knockback at low percent, some, such captian falcon's nair and uair, are good for comboing at 0%. Brawl has a ridiculous startup knockback on all "combo moves". The only way to actually make it competitive is to reduce knockback on certain moves.
Is there a way to increase startup knockback on throws??? that way DDD and the like lose their chaingrabs/infinites. But kirby and others lose their throw combos.... DX

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
you know what would be sick.. SF3-like EX attacks for smashes. if you dealt a certain amount of damage, you could like do a super charged smash attack or something that was unblockable or broke shield. how sick would that be!?!?

or you could save it up.. and do a final smash XD

MuBa

Smash Lord
you know what would be sick.. SF3-like EX attacks for smashes. if you dealt a certain amount of damage, you could like do a super charged smash attack or something that was unblockable or broke shield. how sick would that be!?!?

or you could save it up.. and do a final smash XD
Lol we've already discussed about the super/tension meter. With Brawl's ultra defensive style I believe it would be too broken.

NCRT

Smash Rookie
Lol we've already discussed about the super/tension meter. With Brawl's ultra defensive style I believe it would be too broken.
Is it not the idea of this project to try out new things and see if it could help add to a competitive scene?

You are probably right thoguh, inclusions of final smashes into regular gameplay would probably lead to a broken abuse of said system. And if it were only given out in the most dire of circumstances, ex 3 stocks and it can only be gotten when you spawn on your last stock and your opponent still has all, would only be giving the person who will loose the ability to do a cool move before they loose....

Not saying that we should try to put final smashes in brawl+ but it would be cool...

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
heres an idea. after you deal a certain amount of damage and take a certain amount (lets say 75%) you get one dragoon piece. you can expend the dragoon piece by pressing a button which makes your next smash attack super strong, or you can save it up til you get your third dragoon piece, which gives you final smash. you use an existing system and replace the dragoon sniper thing with a final smash occurrence.

this way, people are always on the offensive, and it makes use of the final smash system.

MuBa

Smash Lord
Well PW could make a system where it'll only spawn when the person is at the last stock at a certain percentage (70ish%) and enables the player to automatically have the smash ball aura around their character....But then again we can have a situation where a Link and another character are at the last stock...and Link can just hit himself with a bomb until he gets to that certain percentage and do a Final Smash KO...know what I mean?

I know that only 1 Final Smash Ball comes out as an item at a time but can you execute more than 1 Final Smash at the same time or will it cause an error in the game?

Top Bottom