• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl+ (Competitive Hacks): Codes, Videos, and Discussion (THREAD OUT OF DATE)

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I asked on another thread, but no one answered. These won't hurt anything online if you only use the codes offline, right?

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
Do the codes work for every Brawl version? i.e. EU,JP,US?
No. Unfortunately, as of now, these codes work only on the US version.
I asked on another thread, but no one answered. These won't hurt anything online if you only use the codes offline, right?
The codes WILL cause desynch if you attempt to use them online when the other party(s) do not have the exact same codes activated. However, you can disable them simply by restarting Brawl. So no, there is no permanent negative effect induced by using these codes.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Oh, cool. So, that answers my second question, which is that you CAN use them online if everyone involved are using them. Nice.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
Nahh, there's already a thread with those codes. I feel this thread is mostly for competitive-enhancing codes (if you want to think they enhance the competitive aspect anyway, you get what I mean :p).
Yes. This.

Anyway, that's about all of the videos I can remember on my own. If you want your (or someone else's) video in the list, post it in the topic.

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
I uploaded one match (I still have more) of WD'ing with Makkun. It's not that great but, it shows some stuff.

0WN1N (Lucas) VS. Makkun (Marth) WD Match 1

Here Wind Owl.

No Tripping (Kirby is cool with help from Y.S)
0481CB34 C0220020
045A9340 00000000
Ahaha! I had no idea you recorded any of the matches. We will have to play again soon. I understand how to do the perfect horizontal wavedashing and everything now. I was playing with my friends on Friday, so now the matches should be more even. >:3

(He owned me in almost every single match we played) (:

Revven

FrankerZ
Sorry, but what's the difference between the shield cancelling and the L-cancel code?
The L-Cancel code works kind of like Melee's L-Cancel except it has different timing and doesn't shave off enough landing lag frames for an aerial (it DOES shave off half but, that's not enough for SOME moves). Where as the Shield Cancel code allows you to put up your shield anytime during your aerial's landing lag, getting rid of ALL the landing lag off of ANY aerial.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
Shield canceling simply allows you to shield during aerial lag. L-canceling halves aerial lag. The end result is that with shield canceling, you have a set amount of lag after ALL aerials (or just their normal lag, if you choose) and with L-canceling it halves lag on aerials (like Melee). Watch the Ike vs Ike vid and then watch the Melee 2.0 Falcon vid to get an idea of the difference.

EDIT: Falco400, that's not exactly true about S-canceling. S-canceling DOES have lag, and it's more than certain attacks' lag, I believe, which is why you wouldn't see Metaknight S-canceling anything (it would actually ADD lag to his attacks) but Ike and Ganon would basically cancel all of their aerials.

-sonny-

Smash Journeyman
The L-Cancel code works kind of like Melee's L-Cancel except it has different timing and doesn't shave off enough landing lag frames for an aerial (it DOES shave off half but, that's not enough for SOME moves). Where as the Shield Cancel code allows you to put up your shield anytime during your aerial's landing lag, getting rid of ALL the landing lag off of ANY aerial.
Ah. Thanks!

I think I'll stick with the L-cancel code then, because the shield canceling felt just a little too easy to use. xP

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, but what's the difference between the shield cancelling and the L-cancel code?
Shield-canceling is very similar to Z-canceling in SSB64, in that it COMPLETELY removes all lag from aerials. L-canceling in Melee cut the lag frames in half, I'm not positive how Phantom Wings made his code work, but it is more similar to Melee L-cancelling than SSB64 Z-canceling.

tl;dr - S-canceling = no lag. L-canceling = small amounts of lag.

Edit: Everyone beat me to it. XD

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
Ok, that's it... I'm going to go look for how long a shield drop is. I KNOW it was on these boards somewhere. But it is NOT zero frames like in SSB64. It's just a very fast, constant speed.

EDIT: I knew it was 9 frames! (Or, apparently, at least for Sheik it is. It can't vary by more than 2 frames among characters.)
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=178230
<3 Ankoku

Now, let's look at what this means. Link's Dair has (I'm making this up) something like 30 frames of lag. By S-canceling, it has 9 frames (≈30%) of lag. By L-canceling, it has 15 frames (50%) of lag.
Metaknight's Uair has 4 frames of lag (again, making this up, but it's probably true) L-canceling (or at least in Melee) caps at a minimum of 4 frames, so Metaknight would not lose or gain anything from L-canceling his Uair (100%), however with Phantom Wings' L-canceling he would STILL HALVE THE LAG, causing MK to land with a nearly nonexistent 2 frames (1/30th of a second, people!) of lag This is LESS THAN HIS NORMAL JUMP LAG. By S-canceling it, he GAINS 5 frames (225%) of lag. Do you guys see the difference now? @_@

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
Ok, that's it... I'm going to go look for how long a shield drop is. I KNOW it was on these boards somewhere. But it is NOT zero frames like in SSB64. It's just a very fast, constant speed.

EDIT: I knew it was 9 frames! (Or, apparently, at least for Sheik it is. It can't vary by more than 2 frames among characters.)
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=178230
<3 Ankoku

Now, let's look at what this means. Link's Dair has (I'm making this up) something like 30 frames of lag. By S-canceling, it has 9 frames (≈30%) of lag. By L-canceling, it has 15 frames (50%) of lag.
Metaknight's Uair has 4 frames of lag (again, making this up, but it's probably true) L-canceling (or at least in Melee) caps at a minimum of 4 frames, so Metaknight would not lose or gain anything from L-canceling his Uair (100%). By S-canceling it, he GAINS 5 frames (225%) of lag. Do you guys see the difference now? @_@
That makes much more sense to me. I was under the impression that S-canceling was an instant lag-cancel... and technically it IS, right? It's just that you have to wait for your shield to drop, since the lag-cancel is just your shield interrupting your aerial-landing lag.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
That makes much more sense to me. I was under the impression that S-canceling was an instant lag-cancel... and technically it IS, right? It's just that you have to wait for your shield to drop, since the lag-cancel is just your shield interrupting your aerial-landing lag.
Correct.
thanks for adding one of my videos to the list. Here's another one: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=CL_yZ1YSnsw
Okay, I'll add it.
Also, im going to smashfest today so hopefully ill get some replays from some of BC's best using these codes :)
Have fun, and come back with more videos :)

kupo15

Smash Hero
k thanks. Can you also put an icon next to the thread? Its really hard finding the thread I want here lol

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
i'm really impressed to see how wavedashing and l-cancel work with these hacks. if only brawl couldve been like this (not entirely melee 2.0 but some what of it.)

Someone7

Smash Apprentice
Rather than asking Phantom Wings to personally code any more stuff for Brawl, I think he should tell the Smash community exactly what he knows about the memory addresses and their associated hex values. Like, what address controls what aspect of the game. Once we know that stuff, experimentation would precede at a much faster pace.

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
Rather than asking Phantom Wings to personally code any more stuff for Brawl, I think he should tell the Smash community exactly what he knows about the memory addresses and their associated hex values. Like, what address controls what aspect of the game. Once we know that stuff, experimentation would precede at a much faster pace.
I agree. Not to put even more pressure on Phantom Wings or try to take glory from him or anything... but it would be a lot easier on him and the Smash community if more people understood more about hacking Wii games. I, for one, would definitely buy a USB Gecko if I knew anything about hacking the games.

Top Bottom