• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl+ Beta Build (GSH1) Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revven

FrankerZ
Replacing Temple is totally gay considering that we have PW's code that makes with the entirely new stage slots.
1. It's a new code, which = possible bugs and/or errors could be present in it.

2. We aren't familiar with the code yet (which is why MK26 is messing with it instead).

3. By the time it was out, this set had already been released.

jalued

Smash Lord
im wondering if the hitstun has a gradient in brawl+ or if it is constant? as some of the hitstun atm is rediculous, for example throws such as sonic's dthrow have far too much hitstun at low % and send you far too low before you can even react and jump out. Have noticed this in quite a few moves.

also wondering if the oveall gameplay speed will be sped up? the difference between run speed/move speed and jumping speed is rediculous, it just doesnt feel right imo

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
im wondering if the hitstun has a gradient in brawl+ or if it is constant? as some of the hitstun atm is rediculous, for example throws such as sonic's dthrow have far too much hitstun at low % and send you far too low before you can even react and jump out. Have noticed this in quite a few moves.

also wondering if the oveall gameplay speed will be sped up? the difference between run speed/move speed and jumping speed is rediculous, it just doesnt feel right imo
Why are you complaining about throws that are supposed to initiate a techchase not letting you jump out of them >_>

Hitstun is 15% higher in GSH1 than in vbrawl (it's 20% higher than vbrawl in 5.0). Whatever something would've had in vbrawl, it is proportionally higher in brawl+. What you're most likely complaining about is that knockback is a quadratic function whereas hitstun is a linear function. So moves that don't knock you very far have a higher hitstun:distance ratio than moves that can kill you, due to knockback increasing faster than hitstun. All we've done is increase the rate at which hitstun increases, without changing its linearity. This relation is true in all smash games, and it is just how hitstun and knockback work.

jalued

Smash Lord
Why are you complaining about throws that are supposed to initiate a techchase not letting you jump out of them >_>

Hitstun is 15% higher in GSH1 than in vbrawl (it's 20% higher than vbrawl in 5.0). Whatever something would've had in vbrawl, it is proportionally higher in brawl+. What you're most likely complaining about is that knockback is a quadratic function whereas hitstun is a linear function. So moves that don't knock you very far have a higher hitstun:distance ratio than moves that can kill you, due to knockback increasing faster than hitstun. All we've done is increase the rate at which hitstun increases, without changing its linearity. This relation is true in all smash games, and it is just how hitstun and knockback work.
no im meaning when u fall off the stage from a dthrow, the hitstun makes you drop too far down, even at low %

BlueFoxXT

Smash Journeyman
i miss fox's 5.0 shine

but this is probably for the better balance wise.

SSE stage implementation finallyyy!!! Skyworld and SSE Jungle are great additions. I also am enjoying experimenting w/ falco's new uthrow. I'm gonna like the bthrow in teams since it'll be easier to team combi with. Falcon's dthrow being so DIable is also good. I felt like not enough could be done out of it.

All around liking the beta so far.

JayFizzy

Smash Cadet
i like the set, but i have some problems.

Diddy's recovery is just so god awful. Diddy has gotten no buffs at all and please dont say anything like "He was naturally buffed so much" because all characters were. He NEEDS a recovery buff.

Same goes for lucario, his recovery sucks large proportions of wiener now. The old ledge was FINE. I don't see why you guys had to change it :/

One tiny little thing left, change marth's iasa on his bthrow back :( You can barely even follow up with it anymore.

Squirtles fair and NADT are some of the things i like in this set. Overall good set, except the stuff above :(

Alphatron

Smash Champion
I may as well help out somehow...so I'll be testing this. Due to friends and such, I've honestly stepped back into 5.0 until this set gets furnished. As of now, I do feel as though some characters lost a bit much during the hitstun nerf, as certain combo moves they had were nerfed in tandem with the lowered hitstun as well. I'd go in depth, but none of my friends have this set and playing against cpus is pretty lolworthy.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
Diddy's recovery is just so god awful. Diddy has gotten no buffs at all
Have you played a good Diddy? He's **** amazing.

and please dont say anything like "He was naturally buffed so much" because all characters were.
No. Many characters needed to be heavily compensated when they switched the Brawl+. Anyways, Diddy's onstage game is extremely good, his recovery is his weakness.

Same goes for lucario, his recovery sucks large proportions of wiener now. The old ledge was FINE. I don't see why you guys had to change it :/
It was far too safe. Not only was it the ONLY MOVE IN THE GAME that had auto-sweetspot (a thing that was meant to be removed), but you could fly over the ledge and attack your opponent. Right now solutions are being devised so Lucario doesn't bounce off the ledge to his death if he touches it.

Hope that clears some things up

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
by removing lucario's auto-sweetspot, my friend (rayku) abuses the **** out of it offensively. an added bonus is that he can no longer infinite edge stall with the ledge invincibility.

the changes to lucario encourage a more offensive take of the character compared to previous sets.

i don't know anything about diddy.

JayFizzy

Smash Cadet
I just dont see why nerf a character that isnt even that great. Ness is amazing, marth is amazing, but i dont see them getting nerfs that drastically change their game.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
@ MK26

So I put the RSBE01.wgc file in my pf folder and I put the module folder in there too. I didn't touch or alter any of the files. When I chose the top right additional stage icon on the melee stage(assuming its where STCUSTOM1.pac is supposed to load from), the game froze without the beep.

Next, I replaced the jungle you supplied with the Forest maze stage, which is smaller in size. The game flat out froze. >_>

Gonna test more.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
by removing lucario's auto-sweetspot, my friend (rayku) abuses the **** out of it offensively. an added bonus is that he can no longer infinite edge stall with the ledge invincibility.

the changes to lucario encourage a more offensive take of the character compared to previous sets.

i don't know anything about diddy.
lovely... <_<

btw skyworld+

is like the Links' playground

not very hard to figure out why ^_^

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Alright, the game just freezes when choosing Custom1.pac. The other stages work fine. I'm gonna have to stop testing though, as Gecko has been giving me black screens on random and its annoying the heck out of me.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
lucario is anything but a mediocre character. he's stayed relatively the same from vBrawl (with the added buff of his up b not going into freefall) and he can still combo incredibly well on top of his smashes having stupidly large hitboxes. true, he can't do as much damage with his combos, but he can still **** with his approaches/edge guarding. removing the auto ledge grab from his up b only encourages players to use the attack more offensively while making his recovery even with other characters.

as far as diddy goes, i have little experience with him, but i can assume his play style is similar to that of ganon: beast on stage, but get him off the side and he's essentially dead.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
alpha, custom1 is the top left icon, but i think youve figured that out by now
and i remember someone else saying they had the wrong module file, maybe?

Ok, after some investigating, only STGCUSTOM1.PAC is freezing on me. I'll try switching it with another. And SymphonicSage12, do you still want me to send you my files?

EDIT: The problem was the STGCUSTOM1.PAC.

In the tutorial, MK26 says to rename STGDXSHRINE.PAC to STGCUSTOM1.PAC. I didn't have the correct module for the Temple stage, so that's why it wasn't working.
Why oh why did i disregard this...i thought pw said the cusom modules would work for all stages :(

edit: try renaming the module maybe? but its more likely you have to get the temple module (try illinalex's files perhaps) and change its name to custom1

on a related note, i dislike fridays, but i dislike thursday nights more

EDITEDIT: http://www.mediafire.com/?hgzinh5qngj
Download, rename to st_custom1.rel, test
plz n thnx

@self: *facepalm*

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Diddy's recovery is just so god awful. Diddy has gotten no buffs at all and please dont say anything like "He was naturally buffed so much" because all characters were. He NEEDS a recovery buff.
Diddy's metagame is unchanged. he is STILL a top tier character. Probably top 5. Because of ADDED SHIELD STUN. the Window of Opportunity for nanner bs is LARGER. His moves NATURALLY COMBO. He has 2 methods of recovery, both of them can spike as well. His damage output is nothing to laugh at either.

This character has benefited from B+ changes more than most of the roster.

He does NOT need a recovery buff because this character is borderline ridiculous on stage. It's just that no one plays him which is why 80% of the community has forgotten he's on the roster screen.

God ****.

If anything, he needs a NERF to his bananas because they produce more than enough shield stun for him to stick his **** in your *** and proceed to **** you with it.

MyLifeIsAnRPG

Smash Apprentice
For the record, I want to put my chips in supporting the cosmetic changes. The cosmetic changes look very professional and work to differentiate Brawl+ from vBrawl, especially when you say, take it to a convention or another open game outing. Hell, if it were me, I would put even MORE cosmetic changes in. I love the fact that stages come up as their replaced counterparts and that we get a new strap screen and title screen, but I would go the full monty (if you guys have time of course). I.E. I would change handicap on/off in the options to buffer on/off. I would (if at all possible) also make the stages show up as their replacements in the options screens (Such as music and random stage select). I would do my best to make this look like a professional patch, because honestly, it just makes people take the whole project more seriously.

Case and point, Brawl+ at conventions. I took a build with no graphical changes to a con gaming room, and the overwhelming reaction was "oh, is this that mod that was made becuase tourney ***s were whining". Afterward I took a build with the graphical changes (title screen, buffer instead of handicap, so on so forth) and the overwhelming reaction was "this is pretty cool, its nice to know there is a group of people fixing nintendo's mistakes".

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
whoa nelly neko...thats a lot of hot air
No. **** that. People who ***** about diddy's recovery have absolutely no clue how good he is on stage. Playing against gnes' diddy in B+ has shown me that diddy can play absolutely the exact same as in Brawl and receive greater benefits and produce better results in Brawl+

He's still a top tier character.

And people want to buff his recovery? Even though it was already buffed once? Which should of never happened regardless?

**** that ****, homeslice.

Lucina Clash

Smash Apprentice
Agreeing with Neko. Diddy needs anything but buffs right now. Take a look at Ness!!! He's got a god awful recovery, but his crazy combo ability makes up for that.

On topic again: This build wins. Just flat out wins, no question. The addition of a Subspace Emissary stage complete with a custom icon on the menu, the slightly lowered hitstun (yes, it's good), and best of all, SKYWORLD. Oh, and removal of machine gun jabbing and bringing back the original version of Ness' f-air again...

Keep this up; the project has come so far!

I do have two questions, though:

1. Any other stages planned to be added/replaced/changed?

2. Are future builds going to utilise the unused damage sound effects?

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
ok, really. my common5 must be the wrong version because i definitely don't have the 'buffer' icons or a new icon for SSE Jungle. i'm on a mac, so can anyone link me to where i can get the common5?

Dantarion

Smash Champion
MK 1-2 is basically done, just needs fixed spawn points and boundaries and camera.
Ok, so its not done.

Spear pillar is pretty done I think.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Speaking of stage changes, for Bridge of Eldin, is anyone going to try to shift the right death boundary inwards so that the entire indestructible right portion of the bridge is outside the boundaries, and changing the starting locations so that no one starts outside of the boundary? I remember hearing that idea a while back, and it sounded interesting.
But anyway, I'm pretty hyped about SP+ and MK1-2+.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Speaking of stage changes, for Bridge of Eldin, is anyone going to try to shift the right death boundary inwards so that the entire indestructible right portion of the bridge is outside the boundaries, and changing the starting locations so that no one starts outside of the boundary? I remember hearing that idea a while back, and it sounded interesting.
But anyway, I'm pretty hyped about SP+ and MK1-2+.
It was basically the destruction point of EoD became a boundary itself so only have of the stage was a walk off.

Sterowent

Smash Ace
For the record, I want to put my chips in supporting the cosmetic changes. The cosmetic changes look very professional and work to differentiate Brawl+ from vBrawl, especially when you say, take it to a convention or another open game outing. Hell, if it were me, I would put even MORE cosmetic changes in. I love the fact that stages come up as their replaced counterparts and that we get a new strap screen and title screen, but I would go the full monty (if you guys have time of course). I.E. I would change handicap on/off in the options to buffer on/off. I would (if at all possible) also make the stages show up as their replacements in the options screens (Such as music and random stage select). I would do my best to make this look like a professional patch, because honestly, it just makes people take the whole project more seriously.

Case and point, Brawl+ at conventions. I took a build with no graphical changes to a con gaming room, and the overwhelming reaction was "oh, is this that mod that was made becuase tourney ***s were whining". Afterward I took a build with the graphical changes (title screen, buffer instead of handicap, so on so forth) and the overwhelming reaction was "this is pretty cool, its nice to know there is a group of people fixing nintendo's mistakes".
Agreeing with Neko. Diddy needs anything but buffs right now. Take a look at Ness!!! He's got a god awful recovery, but his crazy combo ability makes up for that.

On topic again: This build wins. Just flat out wins, no question. The addition of a Subspace Emissary stage complete with a custom icon on the menu, the slightly lowered hitstun (yes, it's good), and best of all, SKYWORLD. Oh, and removal of machine gun jabbing and bringing back the original version of Ness' f-air again...

Keep this up; the project has come so far!

I do have two questions, though:

1. Any other stages planned to be added/replaced/changed?

2. Are future builds going to utilise the unused damage sound effects?
quotes because valid opinions/questions.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
It was basically the destruction point of EoD became a boundary itself so only have of the stage was a walk off.
I'm aware of what the changes would do...
There really needs to be a way to make walk off stages less lame...like make a player take damage if they are a certain distance from the side boundaries, no matter if they are still onscreen, in order to discourage people from camping the sides in attempt to go for a quick throw-off kill or something... But I wouldn't think that would be possible now, is it?

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
We could try increasing the amount of offscreen damage?
This still wouldn't prevent people from camping really close of the edge, since you can still stay onscreen while being extremely close to the boundaries. The point is to keep players a good distance away from the boundaries the majority of the time.

Edit: ROFL @ Orca's idea! I guess you're taking Neko's "EVERYTHING" to
Golden
Heart. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom