• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl+ Beta Build (GSH1) Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaioNintendo

Smash Rookie
Since some one mentioned it... here's a sugestion:

Is it possible to make it so when you are holding down (crouching) and use down-c you do a down smash instead of a down tilt?

That'd be great!

I also had that freeze with training mode!

Also, i mentioned before, but in case no one saw: it frezees when you try to play with stage: random set in versus options.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
I think the reason some of you are having lag with your dash cancel is you're doing it during your initial dash. I haven't experienced any lag before when dash canceling properly.

Cstick doing smashes would be great, please do this.

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
Can yoshi's shield be fixed pls? I know I keep going on about it, it's just that right now he's unplayable.

CaioNintendo

Smash Rookie
i agree with Elfefterios!

Since melee the shield is the one think that i hate about yoshi!
And now we have the chance to fix it!
It would be just beaultiful if yoshi could jump out of his shield!

grim mouser

Smash Journeyman
More freezes to report:

Jiggs vs. Jiggs on SSE stage.

Jiggs vs. Ivysaur on Delfino.

So I guess it's either the SSE stage, individual Pokes, or both that are the issue.

Anteo

Smash Cadet
I've just tried this Build and I really like it.
At first I thought that lowering the hitstun was a bad idea but it's good, no more easy combos!

The new SSE stage is great, but Ganondorf can't use Side-B to recover. Well you can try, but he won't grab the edge if you do it too high, He will just fall, missing the edge O.o

Also, why the No AD in Tumble code?? As a Link Mainer, whenever I get knocked off the stage and I'm close to the edge, I just use clawshot to get back (AD + Attack) Most of the time jumping is too dangerous. Now I feel like is really hard to get back to the stage >.<!!!
Don't misunderstand me, I like that change, but it feels like a nerf to Link (and other chars)

jalued

Smash Lord
I've just tried this Build and I really like it.
At first I thought that lowering the hitstun was a bad idea but it's good, no more easy combos!

The new SSE stage is great, but Ganondorf can't use Side-B to recover. Well you can try, but he won't grab the edge if you do it too high, He will just fall, missing the edge O.o

Also, why the No AD in Tumble code?? As a Link Mainer, whenever I get knocked off the stage and I'm close to the edge, I just use clawshot to get back (AD + Attack) Most of the time jumping is too dangerous. Now I feel like is really hard to get back to the stage >.<!!!
Don't misunderstand me, I like that change, but it feels like a nerf to Link (and other chars)
im confused...what?? just DI better and u should be fine, or mix up recovery more. And link has always had that problem, just mix it up and use arrows and bombs o cover yourself. Dont forget that now its harder for characters to sweetspot the edge horizontally, so your dtilt spike is even more vicious ;) it all balances out

Swordplay

Smash Lord
im confused...what?? just DI better and u should be fine, or mix up recovery more. And link has always had that problem, just mix it up and use arrows and bombs o cover yourself. Dont forget that now its harder for characters to sweetspot the edge horizontally, so your dtilt spike is even more vicious ;) it all balances out
I may be wrong but if I remember, you can't zair out of tumble.

He is talking about Zair recovery. In VB when tether character get knocked off stage, and are in tumble they can AD>Zair for a quick recover. In VB you could even DI down and survive a fox d-smash at 300%. The fact that you could AD>Zair and instantly cut off your AD super fast made it seem like you could even Zair out of tumble.

1st The DI thing won't work in B+ cause of hitstun.

2nd the other situations (which you may be talking about) in situations not like this, you'll have to just wiggle >AD>Zair. (This sucks I know)

NADT unfortunately will prevent zair out of tumble. (You couldn't in the first place but with fast fingers you could cut your AD down to nothing and zair) With the wiggle added, it takes a little longer and is more predictable.

All that said, this only affects 4 characters who can be buffed due to this mechanics nerf.

TLDR. He is complaining about NADT hurting zair recoveries in tumble situations. He would probably be satisfied if he could zair out of tumble like nair.

jalued

Smash Lord
He is talking about Zair recovery. In VB when tether character get knocked off stage, and are in tumble they can AD>Zair for a quick recover. In VB you could even DI down and survive a fox d-smash at 300%.

1st won't work in B+ cause of hitstun.

2nd in situations not like this, you'll have to just wiggle >AD>Zair.

NADT unfortunately will prevent zair out of tumble. (You couldn't in the first place but with fast fingers you could cut your AD down to nothing and zair) With the wiggle added, it takes a little longer and is more predictable.

TLDR. He is complaining about NADT hurting zair recoveries in tumble situations.
yeah i gathered the first point, that was why i was confused. With hitstun this was never possible in the first place.

Secondly, was also confused due to the fact that his tether recovery has no range at all and is very siuational. I hardly see it as a valid nerf to his recovery, since its only eally used when very close to the stage.

His onstage game from the bombs is better now as well- do wish he got bomb jumping back though, miss that AT...

Link and YL's tether options are very limited, the range is useless compared to any other tether recovery (apart from lucas), and if you miss, the endland is horrendous and you fall to an outcy of "wtf type of range is that! OMG that sucks!"

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
yeah i gathered the first point, that was why i was confused. With hitstun this was never possible in the first place.

Secondly, was also confused due to the fact that his tether recovery has no range at all and is very siuational. I hardly see it as a valid nerf to his recovery, since its only eally used when very close to the stage. Link got better bombs now too, so i dont think this is valid
so wait, what do you mean by 'better bombs'? he can bomb jump now?

Swordplay

Smash Lord

Secondly, was also confused due to the fact that his tether recovery has no range at all and is very siuational. I hardly see it as a valid nerf to his recovery, since its only eally used when very close to the stage.

His bombs are better now as well, do wish he got bomb jumping back though, missed that AT...
1st. paragraph. Thats not entirly true. If you DI down hard enough to hit the stage I think hitstun ends and tumble begins meaning it "is" possible. Just near impossible.

2nd Think like a Link. When your recovery is limited, you need as much flexibility as possible.

4th. If this hurts anywhere its in the re-approach game where characters like to throw out spacing zairs out of tumble onstage sometimes.

4rd. jalued, I agree with you. This mechanic should really effect zair characters THAT much. (Though it obviously will affect them). It is REALLY that much of a deal, the 4 zair characters can be looked into and buffed accordingly. (This will probably not happen though as I don't see a huge problem as of yet)

jalued

Smash Lord
1st. paragraph. Thats not entirly true. If you DI down hard enough to hit the stage I think hitstun ends and tumble begins meaning it "is" possible. Just near impossible.

2nd Think like a Link. When your recovery is limited, you need as much flexibility as possible.

4th. If this hurts anywhere its in the re-approach game where characters like to throw out spacing zairs out of tumble onstage sometimes.

4rd. jalued, I agree with you. This mechanic should really effect zair characters THAT much. (Though it obviously will affect them). It is REALLY that much of a deal, the 4 zair characters can be looked into and buffed accordingly. (This will probably not happen though as I don't see a huge problem as of yet)
i think if u tech the stage first off, then you could...but not sure.

Yeah his recovery is limited, but the priority of his UpB isnt bad, and the final kill can still kill so can deter edgeguarders.

it really shouldnt, i mean to get out of tumble all you need to do is a move, so ZSS has downB,upair,bair,nair etc,Ivy has dair,sideB, Olimar has all his air moves... i dont see it as that much of a handicap.

Seems ironic that a character wih a really lame tether is the first to bring this up lol

couldnt they just drastically reduce the failed tether animation for link? have always hated that in brawl, its so fustrating

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
drop down, zair, jump,zair, repeat... or maybe im wrong and it would work... might depend on the character
how would that be different than the whole ledge strategy with drop -> zair -> pull up?

missed zair with iasa wouldn't give any more vertical height, i don't think. does zair stall you in the air a bit? maybe only make the first stall, then, and then the rest just drop you. thats assuming of course it stalls you in the first place.

jalued

Smash Lord
how would that be different than the whole ledge strategy with drop -> zair -> pull up?

missed zair with iasa wouldn't give any more vertical height, i don't think. does zair stall you in the air a bit? maybe only make the first stall, then, and then the rest just drop you. thats assuming of course it stalls you in the first place.
could also introduce a new mindgame for getting back onstage from the ledge

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Missed zair animations shouldn't get IASA, as zairs are still good in general and I don't see much of a nerf to them yet. Zairs are disjointed and have TP. They no longer have any lag when hitting the ground at all as opposed to melee. I also don't see this helping zair users aside from holding their hands recovery wise.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
combo-wise it also can open up a lot of options too, but i can see how it does revert back to 'EZ mode'. however, with a character like link, who even with his buffs still has a terrible recovery, it could be a very useful buff to combos too.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
You don't want to give IASA's to zair as they would horribly abuse it. Can you imagine AD>canceled zair>Nair or Fair?

How horribly broken would that be to allow a character to approach with AD and go into a non zair move out of it.

@Jaleud: Don't underestimate Links zair. It may suck for recovering but due to him falling fast, it still is a great spacer.

=============================================================

The whole argument is stupid. Ya the mechanic hurts only 4 characters (there are only 4 zair characters) but even so, its not a deal breaker for these characters. People should stop complaining.

Zairs, as stated above, are already good. And if NADT hurt such a character, then that character would be looked into accordingly and probably receive compensation if it was crippling (which it is not). There is no further reason to discuss this.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
the main problem with link is that his recovery is still crap even with all of the buffs he's gotten. why should his zair (one of his few recovery options) be added to his already long list of problems? maybe IASA frames for the entire zair could be abused (if you say so) but whats wrong with being able to move out of a failed recovery sooner? true, the attack is great as an onstage spacing tool, but with NADT its recovery uses are limited somewhat due to link's laggy aerial attacks.

something needs to be done to help link's recovery, zair or not.

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
Changing the sequence of inputs required to go from tumble to zair (wiggle, Z instead of L, Z) does not actually make zair itself any worse. You ought to try to improve your wiggling ability. It's somewhat tricky to predict at first, but I suspect people will get very good at almost instantly AD/zair-ing, almost as if there were no NADT in the first place. It's not difficult, just foreign, and that's not a bad thing, just something that you will improve with time.

Veril

Frame Savant
I posted this in the WBR initially after spending a good portion of today testing Falcon's throws in the beta. Has anyone read it? I have no f***ing clue. I'm sure one of you will... its too much text to avoid entirely ;p

Suggestions for CF:
Remove the d-throw angle change (if hitstun is at .46): d-throw combos now require a lot of precision to execute even without the DI, when they are even possible. With DI the d-throw combos are all gone for all but a select few (Jiggs, MK, etc) who will still get ***** cause they're too floaty to tech out of the combo. D-throw is substantially more useful against the floaty characters due to it being a weight dependent throw. The hitstun reduction makes it only really work at all on below average weight characters.

Lower the up-throw IASA
(if hitstun is at .46) by 6 frames: this will give Falcon an initial advantage of 15 on most characters, not high enough for a knee combo to work (though it will at higher %), but enough for up-air with a good read on DI. It would balance out his available combos with what d-throw lost by giving him a means to combo FFers and heavies out of a throw. Seeing as it Falcon doesn't exactly have the most hax grab in the world, I see no issue with this.

bring the b-throw up to an acceptable standard by bringing the IASA down ~8 frames (at .46, 6 frames if the hitstun is at .48) (minimum adv 1 w/o DI): This is something I've wanted for a long time. We changed Marth's b-throw IASA because it was garbage right?! WRONG! We did it cause it was Marth and its well known how bad his b-throw is. There are tons of other throws just as bad, bringing ALL of them to a benchmark of non-s***iness will not unbalance the game at all. All throws should have a minimum advantage of 1 (ie, unpunishable, no throw that can't KO should ever be used if its got a negative frame advantage...). Its very very reasonable and will add no new true combos to the game. Currently a throw with a negative advantage is simply a vestigial limb, and since we will inevitably want to improve some of these throws, I feel the only non-biased way to do this is to apply relatively minor tweeks to all of them. This is actually FAR less radical than it sounds, and it IS important.

Facts:

Comboing into the knee from a ground move requires an absolute minimum advantage of 18 (jump + the startup). Once you account for the initial buffered dash and aerial movement, you will need 22 frames or more. The initial advantages on d-throw range from 15 for Bowser to 23 for Jigglypuff. This is however, assuming the opponent does not tech, which they will be able to far more often than not.

D-throw knee will no longer work as a true combo (at 0, regardless of DI) against: Bowser, DK, Snake, DDD, Charizard, Ganon, Samus, Wario, Yoshi, Rob, Ike, CF, Link, Wolf, Ivy, Lucario, Mario, Luigi, sonic, Lucas, Ness, Pit, dK. Perfect DI and FFing into a tech kills d-throw knee initially for the whole cast, as % increase it becomes possible to perform on floatier, lighter characters.

The effect of the angle change is more significant than the hitstun change. D-throw lost 5 frames off its advantage window due to hitstun, but can lose substantially more when DI is taken into account. Ex. Initial Advantage d-throwing bowser if he doesn't DI: 16 frame advantage, no combos here... alternately he can DI and tech yielding a -1 frame advantage. LOLWUT!! EWWWW

The hitstun is a less effective measure than the angle change, and has the unfortunate effect of killing much of the combo potential of this move even without DI.

d-throw knee still works from 0-200+ against Jiggs, possibly other floaty characters as well >.< WTF

Changing that angle on this move may be a good idea if we aren't returning hitstun to its default state. A lot of characters will yield a negative advantage if they DI and tech, the gold standard for "no longer worth it" imo.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Veril, did you test with BAD DI?
In a match, people always DI some direction. This means that the "no input" angle may not be the "average" angle.

Also, I am okay with dthrow->knee not being garanteed, I still get it off a LOT

Veril

Frame Savant
I tested with DI down and FF as well as without DI. Everything was tested frame perfect, using optimal DI did vastly decrease the advantage window due to how early you can tech given the ability to FF in tumble and the lower angle of the move (except on very low weight characters like Jiggs who can't escape early after mid % even if you DI and FF).

D-throw to knee won't work in the beta against the heavier half of the cast even if they don't DI properly, that was my point as to why I think we should remove the angle change. Its an excessive nerf to a move that was already substantially hit by the reduction in hitstun.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I agree with Veril, and throw frame advantage is probably one of the things that needs to be looked at upon the many other things that would mesh well with the hitstun reduction. In due time I suppose.

"We changed Marth's b-throw IASA because it was garbage right?! WRONG! We did it cause it was Marth and its well known how bad his b-throw is."

I love you Cape.

Do you love me? ;_;

Change back the Bthrow IASA maaaannn

Veril

Frame Savant
Marth's b-throw IASA change would be better if the release frame were modified since that throw is humanly impossible to DI on reaction right now. Making a throw that's impossible to DI on reaction combo... yeah, pushing up the release frame instead of reducing the first actionable frame will have the same effect of reducing lag (thus increasing advantage) but with the additional effect of making it more DIable.

It was overdone in 5.0 but with the hitstun reduction I think it got toned down a bit to much. I'd have specific numbers but my throw frame data analysis from 5.0 got thrown off by angle changes and the hitstun reduction >.<

ValTroX

Smash Ace
Hmm im downloading the build, gonna do some testing, still, i think Lucario's UpB was ok with autosweetspot(it was kinda safe but bearable) and i think that Diddy should get autosweetspot since i can hardly use him in B+, cause i always hit the edge pretty hard and die xD.

Rudra

Smash Ace
Hmm im downloading the build, gonna do some testing, still, i think Lucario's UpB was ok with autosweetspot(it was kinda safe but bearable) and i think that Diddy should get autosweetspot since i can hardly use him in B+, cause i always hit the edge pretty hard and die xD.
Both simply require practice to sweetspot consistently. You've got a lot of freedom of movement on Extremespeed, so it shouldnt be hard to get down after a few minutes of practice. With Diddy, I think you have to aim it so that the upB ends within ledgegrab range so that it doesnt explode.

ValTroX

Smash Ace
ok, i did some testing with cpu's(tomorrow probably will be the real test day since my friends are joining), no issues so far, loving the skyworld stage and some of the changes were totally needed(like Mario's Fsmash hitting harder on fireball instead of hand). Tomorrow I'll let you guys know if we find something weird.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
ok, i did some testing with cpu's(tomorrow probably will be the real test day since my friends are joining), no issues so far, loving the skyworld stage and some of the changes were totally needed(like Mario's Fsmash hitting harder on fireball instead of hand). Tomorrow I'll let you guys know if we find something weird.
Too bad you can't combo into past 20% like you could in Melee.

Daakun

Smash Apprentice
Replacing Temple is totally gay considering that we have PW's code that makes with the entirely new stage slots.

Also, knock it off with the cosmetic changes. If it's an option, no big deal, but I don't want to have to delete title and strap changes every time I update.

Daakun

Smash Apprentice
Said code doesn't work online unless every player has it set up the same way and triggers the stage at the same time. (and isn't even in this version of B+)
Much less of a hassle (and waste of a perfectly good stage) to just have a new stage icon for it.

Veril

Frame Savant
I love how people use the term testing to mean playing cpus and looking for glitches ;p Not that this isn't useful...

If anyone is willing to work with me on real, in depth testing and is familiar with data collection with the Frame advance code (and to a lesser extent analysis methodology), send me a PM. Some technical knowledge about throw mechanics will be needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom