• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best doubles matchups

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
too many possibilities for doubles matchups to count. there are over 1000 doubles possibilities. any team with mk works well.

gallax

Smash Hero
i would think that a team that has zss and lucas/ness/gaw would be good for obvious reasons.

buti think that a team with heavy characters would be best. wario on teams is ****. hes heavy and can manuever really well. DDD is a good teams partner.

Battousai780

Smash Ace
Game and Watch plus Zero Suit Samus is pretty awesome. Dsmash into bucket = free KO

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Meta Knight + Game and Watch
Meta Knight + Wario
Meta Knight + Dedede
Meta Knight + Meta Knight
Meta Knight + Snake
Snake + Wario
Snake + Game and Watch
Snake + Dedede

Gimmicky stuff actually isn't that good, so screw ZSS/whatever.

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
I don't know why MK+wario is a good team. I would think that falco plus snake would eb good. Campapalooza, Cg, and spike + tilts. but I know nothing, so go eiht Zss+GaW

Ruuku

Smash Lord
Pit+Snake is very effective. Pikachu+DDD is pretty good too. I'm thinking, Bowser+G&W would be a good pair. DK+MK sounds good.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
I would have to say kirby and diddy or MK and diddy or wario and diddy. Their air game complements diddys ground game. Also kirby can kill a bit easier than diddy.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I wonder how much shield damage a DK+Peach team would do. Someone shields Peach's dair and then DK side b's the shield. There's also Peach's good damage racking combined with DK's good killing.

I've toyed around with DK+Diddy a lot too and DK can wreck people with bananas. It's amazing. Then there's the obvious killer+damager racker thing. Me and my friend also made up a chain where Diddy sits by the edge and DK cargo down throws them in front of Diddy. Diddy grabs and then DK jumps over and dairs them.

The best team characters are probably Wario and Game and Watch.

Zephil

Smash Ace
I love Marth+Fox... marth spacing and making lots of damage with tilts and when ppl don´t expect it... Fox USMASH... done

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Double MK can absolutely shut out some teams with extremely bad matchups, however I feel that they aren't the best team. Only in certain situations.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
^This.
Wario imo has like one of the best survival rates if he ever has to fight off 2v1 just because of how crazy his air camping is and his kill/punish set isn't too bad (plus he can take some beatings).
It's why I think he makes one of the best doubles partners, on top of good recovery, decent setups, and maneuverability. I don't know for sure THE BEST double team though.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Someone who can rack damage and someone who can kill relativly easy.

Eg: Metaknight for damage and gimp, Snake for kill.

Toon Link for damage and gimp, Snake/DK/GnW etc

n88

Smash Lord
Zelda + Sheik=Pure win.

Random+Random is also good.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Never doubt DDD and DDD.
dthrow to dtrow
waddle throws on both sides of the stage.
inhale your partner, spit them out for a great kill move.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
Meta Knight + Game and Watch
Meta Knight + Wario
Meta Knight + Dedede
Meta Knight + Meta Knight
Meta Knight + Snake
Snake + Wario
Snake + Game and Watch
Snake + Dedede
This pretty much, and Snake + Snake I would say.

Generally I would say MK + X or Snake + X is always a good team. Or in other words: MK or Snake is always the best partner you can have.

Afaik Olimars grab does **** in teams too.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
MK + Snake is the best possible team combination in the game; THUS FAR.
0 to deaths on the entire cast (with you being able to do it on one opponent or both depending on port priority) many set ups INTO that 0 to death
AND an extremely fast high priority projectile created by an MK and C4 fusion that is Snake's like second most powerful kill move after fsmash.

All you need to see here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFjTkPL0V78

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I've played this combo a few times, just keep ZSS in the air and nothing happens.
You would have beaten that team even if they didn't have a tactic like that. A ZSS that lets you juggle her, and a G&W that lets you juggle his teammate are going to lose no matter what. Play a pair that know this match-up, and know how to stay grounded, and the pairing will get a lot harder.

The problem is that most of the time when you see this combo, the team doesn't know how to play the strategy, and they don't know how to play if the strategy isn't working. It's got two levels to it, and most people that play it don't know how to do either. In fact, many players just completely ignore the most important part: learn how to play your character in teams. The reason this strategy works is because both characters are strong in teams to begin with, and they've got this tactic that, if the team plays the match right, can wildly shift the momentum, and if nothing else, demoralize the opponent. Unfortunately, most players think that the tactic is enough, and don't learn basic functions in a team, and don't learn how they're going to have to alter their play to accommodate their teammate.

Unfortunately, Wes and Dire were really the only team to have ever made any effective inroads towards working out the way the team should work. I don't know if they're even still play Brawl. I can't think of any major tournaments they've participated in.

I've done a lot of research into the match-up. I've logged several hours of training this match-up with NC-Echo, and while I'm no good in teams, and we've never actually played the team in tourney, we've observed several things about the pairing that most people never even realize, and when I watch most people play it, they just don't play it right. Seriously, Wes and Dire are the closest I've ever seen to anyone playing it right, and Wes at least wasn't even playing ZSS to her top form.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
ph00tbag said what I wanted to say. If you say "juggling ZSS is the answer" and don't see the other opponent stop fighting your ally and go after you to help ZSS, then both players must be below your skill level by a considerable amount. Try against a legit ZSS main and a G&W main, tell me how that works out for you.

As much as I LOVE ZSS+G&W, I just have to agree with the obvious best choice....... MK+MK is, and always will be, the best choice. One MK covering the other MK? You seriously cannot deny that it's an uphill battle for whatever team you're using.

swordgard

Smash Hero
ph00tbag said what I wanted to say. If you say "juggling ZSS is the answer" and don't see the other opponent stop fighting your ally and go after you to help ZSS, then both players must be below your skill level by a considerable amount. Try against a legit ZSS main and a G&W main, tell me how that works out for you.

As much as I LOVE ZSS+G&W, I just have to agree with the obvious best choice....... MK+MK is, and always will be, the best choice. One MK covering the other MK? You seriously cannot deny that it's an uphill battle for whatever team you're using.
I wonder then how doubles MK didnt make it top 2 at genesis.

Seriously, stop throwing random stuff with not evidence.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I wonder then how doubles MK didnt make it top 2 at genesis.

Seriously, stop throwing random stuff with not evidence.
I seriously dislike how you keep looking for ways to argue.

http://www.smashpr.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1668

There. Top 2 teams were MK in Brawl teams. It's not a nation-wide event, but double MK made it top 2. Geez, stop picking fights, I don't even care about tourney results in threads like this, it's mostly out of personal opinions. Why not quote people who say ZSS+G&W instead, or Mario and Luigi? And if I'm using hyperboles to emphasize something, get used to it, I'm not the only one in SWF who does the same thing.

Top Bottom