• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ban brinstar and rainbow cruise

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
Man, I would really like to get to reading through the good posts, but it seems like theres like 33 pages of herpderp that I don't wanna bother with, so I'll just hope that someone with a brain has slapped some sense into people. I'll honestly read into some posts another time.

*thinks banning these stages are stupid*

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
jigglypuff is too good
seriously, the only thing I heard from you is that we should ban brinstar because jigglypuff can 1 shot easier. instead of missing a player missing a grab and dying they have to get hit and then die. you are complaining that jiggs rest is too powerful. just admit that you think rest is too good of a move

Niko45

Smash Master
Falcon is certainly very strong on Brinstar relative to the entire cast. He's not as good as Jiggs or Peach there but he's up there.

And Ripple if all you think anyone is saying is "jiggs is too good there" then you're not doing very much reading. I know at this point you've invested a lot of time into arguing this for whatever reason, but you really should just give it up at this point. Your posts are just ********. At least Wobbles posts are really long and ask lots of rhetorical questions, masking the flawed logic as much as possible.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Falcon is certainly very strong on Brinstar relative to the entire cast. He's not as good as Jiggs or Peach there but he's up there.

And Ripple if all you think anyone is saying is "jiggs is too good there" then you're not doing very much reading. I know at this point you've invested a lot of time into arguing this for whatever reason, but you really should just give it up at this point. Your posts are just ********. At least Wobbles posts are really long and ask lots of rhetorical questions, masking the flawed logic as much as possible.
wobbles has said everything I have said only in more detail. if my posts are ******** then so are wobbles'.

and I was responding to hax, not the majority of everyone arguing. others made better arguments than he has so far and I addressed them. I'm not hearing "jiggs is too good/different on brinstar" from people who actually know what they are talking about.

Bing

Smash Master
Lol@ how intense this arguement is getting. Keep RC and Brinstar, but add to regular stage list, just give 2 or 3 strikes... that way if anyone truly has a problem with either, they're gone, if not, then its fair game...

btw I play Jiggs, which does good on Brinstar, but its not the deciding factor in a match, if you're getting beat by a stage, then im calling Johns...

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante

qft .

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Lol@ how intense this arguement is getting. Keep RC and Brinstar, but add to regular stage list, just give 2 or 3 strikes... that way if anyone truly has a problem with either, they're gone, if not, then its fair game...
so we can go from a neutral strike with no chance of having horrible stages game one to gaining the possibility of horrible stages game 1 or "automatic" strikes which limit the opponent's neutral options. For example, as fox i wouldn't strike RC or brinstar vs a marth because i know fox does better on both those stages and then force marth to strike them both while i strike ys, fod, fd and bf.

Hax

Smash Champion
thank you for that post Niko; especially the last sentence LOL

if anyone here thinks i'm being biased about Brinstar/RC then they're dumb. Falcon is the 3rd best character on both of these stages and I pick Brinstar all the time vs Fox/Falco. is it too hard to accept that I disagree with being able to dthrow -> lava -> lava -> lava -> knee for a stock?

Ripple, I only need to prove that one character is beyond broken on a stage for it to be banned. proof of this are Hyrule, Poke Floats, and numerous other stages that are banned solely because Fox is broken on them. hence I decide to revolve my main argument around Jigglypuff, the most severe case of Brinstar skewing matchups.

quality over quantity, Ripple. I could be like Wobbles and make 50 sh*tty arguments, or I could make a few good ones that have yet to be refuted.

Frame Perfect

Smash Journeyman
if my posts are ******** then so are wobbles'.
im going to highlight some key words. pay close attention...

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
thank you for that post Niko; especially the last sentence LOL

if anyone here thinks i'm being biased about Brinstar/RC then they're dumb. Falcon is the 3rd best character on both of these stages and I pick Brinstar all the time vs Fox/Falco. is it too hard to accept that I disagree with being able to dthrow -> lava -> lava -> lava -> knee for a stock?

Ripple, I only need to prove that one character is beyond broken on a stage for it to be banned. proof of this are Hyrule, Poke Floats, and numerous other stages that are banned solely because Fox is broken on them. hence I decide to revolve my main argument around Jigglypuff, the most severe case of Brinstar skewing matchups.

quality over quantity, Ripple. I could be like Wobbles and make 50 sh*tty arguments, or I could make a few good ones that have yet to be refuted.
wobbles isnt putting up fifty arguements lmao
hes putting up a few which no one can answer directly

Edit: appeal to authority fallacy is ****ing ******** to even joke about it is dumb

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Flawed logic?

Here's my argument, condensed, focusing on the points in which we differ.

First off, something we can all agree on; we don't want anything that's clearly BROKEN. That is to say, unstoppable, except by doing the same thing but better. So if we have a level where the strategy can't concretely and easily be banned, then we've pretty much got no choice but to ban the level.

A caveat to this: just because the strategy appears broken or "too good" at first does not mean that the strategy is actually too good. The only way to really know for sure is through testing, improvement, and sometimes a bit of innovation. I know you'll agree with me here, because we've ALL been in situations where we thought something was "too powerful," then later on it turned out we just didn't know the counter at the time. Even stuff that seemed set in stone, like Fox's u-throw u-air, turned out to be smash DI-able. Please note, I'm not comparing this to anything specific, I'm just saying that it took us years to find out there was a consistent method of escaping a combo that long seemed inescapable for some characters.

You can't disagree with this, because it's what actually happened.

Now, here is one place where we appear to differ. I'm making the claim that because practice on Brinstar is limited, and the characters supposedly "too strong" on Brinstar are not popular, despite 10 years of the game being out we actually haven't done much that you can really call "testing" on the level. Most people accept it as law that "X character is too good here," so they ban it. We also know most people don't train on those levels, meaning these 10 years have been spent mostly practicing on the same 5 or 6 stages.

Here's a place where we can agree. Random **** you can't prepare for that screws you up and completely changes the flow of the match is not the kind of thing we're looking for. Here's where we differ: I'm saying that because you can see the lava in Brinstar rising WELL in advance via the background and other cues, you should be planning around it.

Here's a place we seem to disagree as well: I'm arguing that a stage differing from the flow of play on other levels does not warrant a ban of the level. Using lava as a weapon and a resource is, to me, a legitimate way of playing the game. Why? Because both players can see the lava. Because characters have different attributes, they will naturally take advantage of this to varying degrees.

(By the way Hax, I recommend you brush up on your reading skills.

Hax said:
the way you act as if all characters can capitalize equally on an opponent hit by lava is equally pathetic; jigglypuff hitting down b for a stock is a bit different from samus nairing for 12% (her best aerial punish)
Wobbles said:
it is a resource that both players have access to. Not to the same extent because characters take advantage of it in different ways,
Hell, you quote me saying something and then say I said the complete opposite. That's not flawed logic that's... lying, I guess. Or you just need to bust out The Very Hungry Caterpillar as warmup before you hit the forums.

And also, Samus' best punish would be a charge shot, or a d-air back into the lava followed by charge shot off the rebound. Just saying.)

I've tried to demonstrate that all the neutral levels have interferences and influences that can drastically and instantly change the flow of the stock. Hax has claimed that Randall never does anything but force the edgeguarder to b-air.

Hax said:
you are attempting to justify Brinstar's lava by comparing it to Randall, who at worst forces the edgeguarder to ledgehop bair
Now I know THIS isn't true, because I'm pretty sure at least ONCE, in all the time you've played, Randall has screwed you over, saved you when you didn't expect him to, or allowed you to recover after doing an extreme edgeguard off the level. I'm pretty sure most people can think of things like this, and it happens on other levels.

For example, when Peach up+b's too close to Battlefield's edge, she won't grab it even though she's at the right height. Why do we allow a level where a recovery that would work on ANY OTHER STAGE doesn't work right? The Peach SHOULD live, but she doesn't. Why? Please answer this question.

You've neatly dodged this point by saying "YOU CAN'T SERIOUSLY COMPARE BRINSTAR TO ETC.," and I applaud you for it, because it was very efficient. But the problem I have is that the other levels all influence matches in ways that radically differ from the "normal" flow of play," and because they interfere, they can cost matches. Pokemon Stadium gives you walls to tech off where normally you would die from an up-smash. Why is this okay?

Ignore any potential comparisons to Brinstar and answer the question. What makes it alright for there to be walls on Pokemon Stadium when there are no walls on any other stages? Moreover, why is it okay for that stage to be legal when those potentially stock-saving (or destroying, if you can land a wall infinite or combo of some kind) are randomly generated? You might go a match playing on nothing but water, one on fire and rock, one on all four transformations. Those matches will look pretty damn different, especially when somebody survives Sheik's d-throw slap because they tech off the windmill, something they couldn't do in any other level. You might even say they don't deserve to live because the windmill was random, and they certainly didn't pick the water transformation.

What is your justification for allowing these stages to be legal when completely different strategies and techniques can apply across the levels, and characters can take advantage of them to different degrees? Again, FORGET ABOUT BRINSTAR FOR A MINUTE, and just answer that question.

And lastly, what exactly IS "normal play?" Is it just gameplay on tournament legal levels? I mean, you're saying that Brinstar and RC shouldn't be legal because they differ from that, which is kind of circular. Kindly define normal play for me. That would really help this debate along.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
the only difference between views in this issue is fundamentals of balance. Neither side can be proven right. Either you think brinstar and RC are less fair than neutrals or you don't think we can judge stages objectively (well there is also the possibility that you think brinstar and RC are more fair than neutrals, but i doubt anyone is saying that). The former puts you on hax's side, while the latter puts you on wobbles' side.

wobbles, do you still think we should unban old stages like corneria, green greens, pokefloats, mute city, and onett as well?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
green greens doesn't have any broken strategies, and i'm not convinced onett has one. they are just "too good" for fox. all of fox's shine infinites are pretty escapable in today's metagame, especially if they drill.

Pogogo

Smash Journeyman
RC and brinstar are really different and annoying. They are so much more exploitable than the neutrals.

No items. Fox only. FINAL DESTINATION

D

Deleted member

Removed by Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

Eggm

Smash Hero
Green greens has apples that spawn that are randomly bombs. Just like when you turn items on the item carriers can randomly be bombs (capsules, boxes, barrels etc). Apples are item carriers. That alone should warrant that stage staying banned. I can't believe it was ever legal. I remember once seeing my friend f smash with falco and the apple spawned after he inputted the f smash and he kicked it it exploded and he died. Just ******** for tournament play.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i got here on page like 19 or something when I clicked this and saw this hilarious post
i'm done with this because the pro-brinstar/RC side is repeating the same refuted arguments and flawed ban criteria
you made a typo.
i'm done with this because the anti-brinstar/RC side is repeating the same refuted arguments and flawed ban criteria
because all I see you say repeatedly in response to Wobbles is that his logic is flawed, which, believe it or not, does not refute any of his arguments.

EDIT: I think someone has to lack self-respect to try to state that Green Greens should be legal. I mean, I CP'd there all day and I know its ban is warranted.

Bing

Smash Master
so we can go from a neutral strike with no chance of having horrible stages game one to gaining the possibility of horrible stages game 1 or "automatic" strikes which limit the opponent's neutral options. For example, as fox i wouldn't strike RC or brinstar vs a marth because i know fox does better on both those stages and then force marth to strike them both while i strike ys, fod, fd and bf.
Both players can strike. so it could just go for ex. BF, Brinstar, FD, RC leaving YS, PS, FoD,DL64.

If a player truly has a problem with a stage, then they can ban it.

Personally, im striking Brinstar now... I've been playing on it, and its annoying... just saying... though I know i've been for RC and Brinstar this whole time...

Hax

Smash Champion
you made a typo.
I care. hop off my d*ck, herb

Strong_Bad said:
because all I see you say repeatedly in response to Wobbles is that his logic is flawed, which, believe it or not, does not refute any of his arguments.
are you sure that statement is meant for me? I've made my standpoint very clear; Brinstar/RC's characteristics exceed the ret*rdedness of any of the neutrals, and I've backed it up with numerous examples (including a video of Wobbles losing a match because of Brinstar.. TWICE in one STOCK). I'm not the one making general statements rather than actually quoting my opponent's statements and refuting them.

Wobbles said:
A caveat to this: just because the strategy appears broken or "too good" at first does not mean that the strategy is actually too good. The only way to really know for sure is through testing, improvement, and sometimes a bit of innovation. I know you'll agree with me here, because we've ALL been in situations where we thought something was "too powerful," then later on it turned out we just didn't know the counter at the time. Even stuff that seemed set in stone, like Fox's u-throw u-air, turned out to be smash DI-able. Please note, I'm not comparing this to anything specific, I'm just saying that it took us years to find out there was a consistent method of escaping a combo that long seemed inescapable for some characters.
this annoys me because you're repeating the same refuted arguments; unless you can directly refute what i'm about to say (and have already said) then don't respond at all, you're wasting my time:

there is not a single time in smash history where a STAGE thought to be too broken was discovered to be adequate for tournament play. unlike characters, stages are set in stone and their metagames do not change. you are trying to apply fox's upthrow uair becoming escapable to brinstar's lava suddenly becoming a balanced stage characteristic.

no matter how much time passes, brinstar will always be better for peach/jigglypuff than it is for other characters.

Wobbles said:
Now, here is one place where we appear to differ. I'm making the claim that because practice on Brinstar is limited, and the characters supposedly "too strong" on Brinstar are not popular, despite 10 years of the game being out we actually haven't done much that you can really call "testing" on the level. Most people accept it as law that "X character is too good here," so they ban it. We also know most people don't train on those levels, meaning these 10 years have been spent mostly practicing on the same 5 or 6 stages.
lets look at Brinstar's faulty characteristics this way:

A stage hazard that does more damage to those that fall into it
the obvious victims are going to be fastfallers. as much as you wish every character benefited the same amount from the lava, fox/falco/falcon tend to take 50% for falling in at 0 (and then die EASILY if they're up against a falcon or jiggs, or die if their non-falcon/jiggs opponent is even SLIGHTLY skilled)

A stage hazard that pops characters upwards; the best combo starter in the game imo
once again, no matter how much time passes falcon/jiggs will always benefit the most from this (mostly jiggs).

A stage hazard that eventually engulfs the entire stage except for the top platform
this ALONE should void brinstar's legality. as I said in my last post (which was not responded to..), the fighting that occurs when two players are fighting for control of a 4 foot wide stage is among the most degenerate things in the game. throw dashdancing, jumping, [insert mindgame here] out the window and reduce the game to a crouch cancelling/dsmash fest.

this is absolutely ridiculous for jiggs. jigglypuff basically doesn't lose any of the stage; she can stay in the air and space bairs the entire time while you're forced to shield. then after one of the bairs she comes down, fthrows you into the lava and you get either rested or WoP'd. keep in mind that the best strategy to avoid jiggs' grabs - to fulljump out of shield - cannot be used; you have 2 feet to either side of you so it's not like you're going anywhere. you'd just be giving jiggs a free uair; considering jiggs' uair is the worst aerial in the game to get caught with while midjump, i don't find this fair.

peach benefits equally. a crouch-canceling, dsmashing peach places a hitbox on the entire platform at any given time. of course dash-dancing/empty shorthopping are void in this case; there is no given room to move.

A stage that breaks in two
there are two sides to this

on one hand there are no good angles to approach a CC'ing peach from if she decides to camp the right side of the stage (unless you're jigglypuff or peach). this gives her the perfect opportunity to continue to pick vegetables until she gets a stitch, which is dumb, while at the same time she waits for her most favorable transformation, the lone top platform, to arrive. I completely forgot to mention that peach with a stitchface during the lone platform transformation is DUMB.

on the other hand jiggs is given retardedly good angles to bair the sh*t out of you from and keep you trapped on the right side of the stage. as I said in my last post (surprise surprise, this wasn't responded to either), during Chu's match vs Mango he was unable to follow up on his punishment when Mango messed up his bair spacing. he could not cross the abyss in time to get under jiggs; the best place to be vs her. Mango did not even have to space his bairs well to **** Chu.

A stage hazard that breaks, creating uneven ground that must be jumped across
during your match vs Rayku, you lost because you could not walk across the semi-broken particles and dsmash him. you CANNOT simply say "I could have jumped across" because then you would have been forced to use an aerial to punish, and IC's aerials obviously aren't as strong as their smashes. the stage outright protected Rayku.

A stage hazard that engulfs the entirety of the stage
random or not, Brinstar's lava engulfs the main portion of the stage and interrupts matches by forcing the players to flee to one of the platforms. they cannot simply "play around" this or "see it coming;" numerous combos in the game cannot be expanded so that the person being comboed rises about the lava and is then killed. for example, you were grab infiniting Rayku for the win when Brinstar's lava came up and stopped you. Rayku was at 20% and the only way for you to kill him was through the infinite, which could not happen because of Brinstar. you were unable to do anything about this; IC's cannot raise their opponent up into the air and then kill them. they don't even have an aerial kill move. you had no choice but to let Rayku go, and later lose a match that you would have won.

Wobbles said:
Here's a place where we can agree. Random **** you can't prepare for that screws you up and completely changes the flow of the match is not the kind of thing we're looking for. Here's where we differ: I'm saying that because you can see the lava in Brinstar rising WELL in advance via the background and other cues, you should be planning around it.
congratulations on establishing that Brinstar's lava is not random. I think you've said this in every single on of your posts; you can stop now because nobody is refuting that. unfortunately something does not have to be random to be broken; as I said in my last paragraph there was no "planning" you could have done to still get the kill on Rayku.

Wobbles said:
Here's a place we seem to disagree as well: I'm arguing that a stage differing from the flow of play on other levels does not warrant a ban of the level. Using lava as a weapon and a resource is, to me, a legitimate way of playing the game. Why? Because both players can see the lava. Because characters have different attributes, they will naturally take advantage of this to varying degrees.
you are 100% correct. except I'm not arguing that different = bad, I'm arguing that broken = bad and I've supported this with numerous examples which I've been awaiting responses to for 3 posts now.

Wobbles said:
Hell, you quote me saying something and then say I said the complete opposite. That's not flawed logic that's... lying, I guess. Or you just need to bust out The Very Hungry Caterpillar as warmup before you hit the forums.
I should have worded what I said better. what I'm trying to say is that you brush off this aspect of the lava as if its nothing (despite admitting to it). think of advertisements that say "No Refunds" at the bottom in the smallest legal font. it has to be said, even though it makes the ad less appealing. in this case, you have to admit that characters capitalize on lava differently because you'd look dumb if you said that everyone benefited from it equally even though its not something you want to admit. the problem I had with this is that the indifferent tone you used while making the statement completely underestimates the difference between Jigglypuff capitalizing on lava and Ice Climbers capitalizing on lava. this is not something to brush off; this is a huge problem.

Wobbles said:
And also, Samus' best punish would be a charge shot, or a d-air back into the lava followed by charge shot off the rebound. Just saying.)
if she has one charged, sure. it was meant to illustrate a concept (just like my Jiggs/IC's sentence in my last paragraph) rather than to serve as a primary example. I could have swapped samus with any character other than Jiggs/Falcon because none of them have ridiculous aerial punishes.

Wobbles said:
I've tried to demonstrate that all the neutral levels have interferences and influences that can drastically and instantly change the flow of the stock. Hax has claimed that Randall never does anything but force the edgeguarder to b-air.
drastically? Brinstar drastically affects matches, but the neutrals?

Dreamland 64 - the wind basically doesn't do anything..
Battlefield - there are no hazards; the faulty ledge isn't faulty if you don't hold towards the stage lol (except for with peach)
Yoshi's - do you actually mean to tell me that Randall affects matches to the extent that Brinstar's lava does? at worst you have to punish someone's laggy landing on him.
Pokemon Stadium - only hazards are the Fire/Rock stages which people typically camp during anyway. unlike Brinstar, characters are given a safe place to camp during these bad transformations
FD - the least neutral of these 5 for sure; it adds a lot of good things to the game as well though. i'm not willing to get into a 10 page debate about FD right now, but i can assure you that all characters can compete on it (despite some having advantages) unlike Brinstar.
FoD - shouldn't be a neutral imo. still not as bad as Brinstar.

Wobbles said:
For example, when Peach up+b's too close to Battlefield's edge, she won't grab it even though she's at the right height. Why do we allow a level where a recovery that would work on ANY OTHER STAGE doesn't work right? The Peach SHOULD live, but she doesn't. Why? Please answer this question.
ironic that you'd demand I answer a question..

the answer is that sacrifices have to be made when developing a stage list. if we were to ban stages for possessing such minor faults, then we would not have a single legal stage to play on. prove to me that this is a significant problem by linking me to a video of a peach SD'ing because of this. I expect that you will find yourself unable to do so and proceed to drop this argument.

also, couldn't peach just not up-b when it would finish with her right next to the stage..?

same thing goes for the Pokemon Stadium ledge

Wobbles said:
Ignore any potential comparisons to Brinstar and answer the question. What makes it alright for there to be walls on Pokemon Stadium when there are no walls on any other stages? Moreover, why is it okay for that stage to be legal when those potentially stock-saving (or destroying, if you can land a wall infinite or combo of some kind) are randomly generated? You might go a match playing on nothing but water, one on fire and rock, one on all four transformations. Those matches will look pretty damn different, especially when somebody survives Sheik's d-throw slap because they tech off the windmill, something they couldn't do in any other level. You might even say they don't deserve to live because the windmill was random, and they certainly didn't pick the water transformation.
because PS's faulty transformations also offer very powerful camping positions. it is dumb for a Fox to try to approach someone camping on the other side of the Fire or Rock transformations. simply wait it out and then return to one of the best stages in the game; the neutral transformation. the grass and water transformations are great too.

Wobbles said:
And lastly, what exactly IS "normal play?" Is it just gameplay on tournament legal levels? I mean, you're saying that Brinstar and RC shouldn't be legal because they differ from that, which is kind of circular. Kindly define normal play for me. That would really help this debate along.
"normal play" is playing SSBM with as many even matchups as possible; the most skillbased version of the game (of course this is completely theoretical). Brinstar voids this by granting 2 [already fantastic] characters 30-40% increases in their matchups.

normal play should also be void of random characteristics that prove to be too detrimental.

Wobbles, please treat every statement i've made as if the statement "respond to this" is attached. if this were a structured debate you would have lost by now for ignoring 2 posts that took me (combined) an hour to type up. instead of responding with generalized statements please quote my statements and respond to them directly. your post just now did not refute anything, it simply reiterated former points without giving examples of anything. waste of my time

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
i agree with everything

especially the part of that wall when hax called gaybad a herb

LOOOOL

thats all i read tho so i might be biased

Bing

Smash Master
You know, after reading all these posts, Hax makes a lot of sense. Those brief periods of the lava engulfing the entire stage do actually make for quite the d-smash spam fest. Otherwise I want cake.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Well, I TRIED to respond to some of them but you brush them off with "lool bad logic," then claim I never posted anything. So I stopped trying because apparently you can just say "no it doesn't," and that counts as a refutation. You immediately underweigh every one of my arguments, you claim I said **** that I DIDN'T, and you throw out buckets of subjective "shoulds" and "shouldn'ts" and "too goods" without backing them up.

"Jiggs can just do etc." Well, why the hell doesn't she? The Brinstar match between Chu and Mango was actually pretty even, flow-wise, barring Chu relentlessly losing Nana for, as I tried to demonstrate, no decent reason. And not "no decent reason" regarding the level, but he tried to push an advantage where he actually had none. Your answer was, as far as I can tell, "well he should have been able to get away with those mistakes." Instead of saying "this section involved a strategy that was too powerful and unavoidable," you went back to "shouldn't" with your arbitrary criteria. Did Mango FORCE Chu to lose Nana in those specific instances, and was there NOTHING Chu could have done differently? I demonstrated he COULD HAVE done different ****. That was my refutation. Your response was "NO." Which I guess counts as debate?

As for my match against Rayku, that was decided very heavily by me improperly planning around the stage. If I'd grabbed him on that shielded d-smash, it would have been over--using attacks that can be delayed by the membrane is a bad idea, on a tech-chase, but a good idea for punishing dodges. Forgetting that cost me that punish. If I'd not kept trying to CG when the lava hit me--lava I could see coming from a mile away--I would have had way more dominance over that final stock. Then you start talking about how Nana shouldn't get hit by lava and be saved. Apparently that's "broken?" I thought she was just going to eat a guaranteed punish and die or take 80% like always happens (you know, you claimed that's one reason why the level is broken?). So her getting saved is broken, her dying is broken.

I have to try and drive this non-random point home, because if you get hit by the lava it's probably your fault. You're saying that the lava ruins the matches, I'm saying you probably should have seen it coming. You act like the bad things that happen on Brinstar are inescapable, so I try and point out that they sure as hell aren't coming out of nowhere, you get plenty of warning, you can plan and adjust, but apparently it's still broken somehow, and there's never anything you can do about it.

Hey, let's make a list of decent punishes characters can get off the lava!

--Fox: u-air to finish, shine back into lava works very well because it either gives you more damage or forces bad recovery positions, b-air as a horizontal finisher.
--Falco: d-air back into it, shine into b-air or just b-air to send them off the stage: if the positioning works out for you, you can also laser trap people onto the lava and get extra hits.
--Sheik: u-air, f-air, needled back into lava, b-air.
--Peach: d-smash or a stitch-face if you have one, otherwise just pick an aerial based on where they go.
--Jiggs: rest, b-air. Yeah, rest is a great punisher. Haven't you gotten used to this by now?
--Marth: sword.
--Falcon: knee, stomp back into lava.
--Ganon: f-air, stomp back into lava.
--Doc: f-air, b-air back into lava.
--ICs: f-air to spike, b-air, I've also gotten several lava bounces into grabs. u-air if they're at a really high percent but it's tough to reach them with it.
--Samus: charge shot if you have it, d-air back into lava, n-air apparently.

and obviously any of these characters can land a smash attack if the opponent bounces into the right spot.

(Is this where YOU say that I'M saying that all these punishes are equal? Because I'm not. I'm saying many of them are solid damage builders and capitalizations. Rest is obviously the most powerful one. News flash, there will always be a most powerful tactic or technique in any game regardless of what you do to the ruleset. Except RPS, I guess.)

You're claiming I'm overweighing my arguments, but you're doing the exact same thing while underweighing mine. You appear to be claiming that EVERY lava hit results in the loss of a stock when Jiggs is involved. I've tried to point out to you that this actually doesn't happen, and your response is "no it's broken."

Nice answer to the Pokemon Stadium question. "You can camp for a minute." Isn't that drastically different from how other levels are played? Doesn't that favor characters with better poking moves? What happens if one player has a lead and gets to camp for free?

And once again, you're still pretending Randall never influences YS matches. I'm surprised nobody else has called you out on this because that's 100% wrong. This doesn't even have anything to do with the argument anymore, you're just lying.

Peaches don't make that dumb mistake anymore because they learned as a result of playing on the level so many damn times. The point was "why should she have to recover differently from how she normally does," and the obvious--and correct--answer is "because the level demands it, man up it's not that bad." I tried arguing that many of the perceived injustices from Brinstar would be eliminated over time with practice, but you just have to say "no it's not fair" and that counts as a refutation.

I'm pretty much done, I spend way too much time on these posts just to have you say nothing of value in response.

Hax

Smash Champion
wobbles

everything about your post fails

just to sum a couple things up (i'm not willing to quote/write proper refutations because you don't feel like showing the respect to do the same):

*I have never ever said different = bad. if different = bad, then every stage in the game is bad. for the last time, I said that broken = bad. this point alone wipes out half of your post, which was clearly designed to counter the logic you've put in my mouth

*Randall is hardly a significant stage hazard. during the rare occurrences where he actually influences a match, he is helping some of the worse characters recover (ganon, falcon) because fox/falco can't up-b onto randall for sh*t, and jigglypuff doesn't need his help recovering. if anything, these influences make for closer matchups between characters which is healthy for the game. ironic that you'd try to compare Randall to Brinstar's lava, which is about 30 times wider and 20 times taller than him. AND it damages you. great comparison!

*LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL at the list of punishes

*Brinstar cost you the match vs Rayku twice in one stock; you could not have done anything about either of these occurrences. why are you still trying to debate your match vs Rayku?

my posts aren't gonna be any more detailed than this from now on, since you haven't shown the respect to quote my arguments and directly refute them instead of repeating the same general statements. have you ever considered that the reason I'm dismissing your logic is because i've disproved it in my previous posts? maybe if you'd been quoting them this whole time, you would have realized this.

BigWenz

Smash Ace
wow this was an interesting read and yea i agree wit ^ that hax won this thread. however i feel brinstar needs to remain a counterpick only cause without brinstar do spacies have a bad stage? they do fine on all the neutrals and alotta spacies counter pick ps. the other stages are kj64 , rc , and brinstar. sure the edges are kinda flunky but overall the stage doesnt hurt them enough to say their at a disadvantage. so if you ban rc and brinstar spacies have 0 bad stages so you have have to keep brinstar just to give lower tiered characters a better chance against spacies. could care less about rainbow cruise. i personally feel its dumb as **** and wouldn complain if it got banned, but if it stays i dont think its that big of a deal since alotta people really dont ever pick it.

MarsFool!

Smash Lord
Ban on brinstar. Gogogo MBR.

@person above me, why would you deliberately put stages to restrict high tiers? They're high tiers on every stage regardless... Implementing stages other characters are better on seems ok but not when its not based the shape of the actual stage.

BigWenz

Smash Ace
Ban on brinstar. Gogogo MBR.

@person above me, why would you deliberately put stages to restrict high tiers? They're high tiers on every stage regardless... Implementing stages other characters are better on seems ok but not when its not based the shape of the actual stage.
im not entirely sure if i understand ur second part but im not for implementing a stage that restricts high tiers. im for implementing a stage (within reason) as a counter pick that gives the opponent a better chance of winning. afterall that is what a counter pick is supposed to do. against fox/falco if they're taken there it works as a good counter pick because they are disadvantaged but not to the point where it becomes basically an autoloss for them. without brinstar where can u take fox/falco to that disadvantages them? i cant think of one. i would just like to see spacies have at least 1 "bad" stage for them.

Top Bottom