• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balanced Brawl Standard Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
I realize I'm late to the party, and somewhat bringing up heated up discussions that has already subsided, but if you want to play me A2, then say so. Don't bring up constant critiques to AA's play style when, if I recall correctly, he didn't ask to be critiqued in the first place.

Maybe you could actually play me, if you think that AA as a G&W is doing everything wrong. But don't throw out "well I would've done this because I know what I'm doing" and then throw out subpar wifi matches that show Kalm running into random moves, landing aerials with ridiculous lag, and overall getting lag ***** to try and prove your amazing points. Frankly, with all the mistakes Kalm made, I'm surprised you didn't 3 stock him. I agree with you quite a few things, but your arrogance to say that AA is doing everything wrong as a player and then post videos that prove less than you claim ours do is somewhat annoying. Hell, you might beat me, you might even **** me and completely convince me, but you should actually challenge me if you feel so strongly.

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
Spin attack stuff.
Yeah, exactly. He hardly needs it as an offensive maneuver, let alone it being a good one. He's got nair, fair, bair, and a properly jumped uair. And zair. :D Forget ASA.

The real caution with Link's arrows is that reflectors are terrifying for him. Mario, Pit, R.O.B., Fox, Falco, Wolf, Ness, Lucas... If Link's at high damage and gets a reflected arrow back at him in those matchups, he's pretty likely dead. I don't think this is unfair, but it's definitely something to be mindful of!
Wow I didn't even think of it from that perspective...I haven't had to play a Cape happy Mario, or any of the other char's mentioned really. I've played a couple Ness's so far, but they haven't been on the ground for me to get an arrow reflected back at me.

But them being this powerful is a good thing, the Link needs to know when to use them, not just throw them out like mad. High risk high reward sort of scenario.

Bombslide to get across the course ->Offstage Arrow gimp = <3333

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Pardon me but Link has three powerful aerials? Okay so there's D-air...

F-air only is strong on the 2nd hit...which you're pretty unlikely to land. And U-air is honestly not a very strong attack at all. It's weaker than vBrawl Mario's U-smash. Uncharged vBrawl Mario U-smash KOs Mario at 124% from the bottom of FD/BF. Link's U-air KOs Mario at 128% from one of the lower platforms on BF.

I'm just reminding you, Link's biggest problem in vBrawl aside from recovery (which could be workable with good DI) is a lack of reliable KO power.

lol at ROB, Ness, and Lucas reflecting Link's arrows.

And anyhow Swoops, I'll see when I have time. Just remember, I'm using a different Wii, so you'll have to get a new Brawl code (on my profile). And I should be playing NO-Idea first anyway.

18.15.2.15x12.9.14.11

Smash Cadet
It is clear that aerial spin attack is a poor offensive maneuver, but given that Link has three powerful aerials, two quick ones, and a useful zair along with the ability to use all of his good projectiles in the air, I'm not sure he needs it to be a good offensive maneuver...
It's not on necessity, that's why I called it "trivial." It would just be so much cooler if on the once-in-a-blue-moon occasion that someone decided to stray from the norm and use an aerial spin attack to attack, it could do some real damage. Kind of like Ganon's dark dive. Granted, the "coolness" factor has little to do with the major goals of the project, but it's still something to consider.

Every Link main wants a better Aerial Spin Attack, more for recovery. Having Link as one of my secondaries, I never find myself really using ASA as an attack, so I don't have many complaints with it.
Hence why I said that most people probably wouldn't care about it.

But if you wanna' bring up a recovery argument, he'd prolly' be one of the top 5 easily with a better recovery, so they kept it bad to balance out his amazing projectile/camp/defensive game, and his pretty good offensive/combo/strings game.
What's wrong with being one of the top 5? He'd still be worse than up to 4 others. :b

on the topic of Link's air spin attack.....

The B+ players are experimenting with something......not to increase his recovery but just to make the up-b well.....64ish.........

Shadic has a PAC in the Link section if you guys ever wanted to try it. basically the up-b doesn't connect anymore, instead it just knocks people a good ways a way for every hit making it a more "safe" move. It is becoming REALLY popular and you should give it a shot to see if you would like to do something for the next standard build..
I haven't played Link 64 before, but I think it's fine the way it is.

BG3

Smash Journeyman
Swordplay, it's good to hear of some exploration on that front. We would like to think that Ganon's matchups aren't really that way, but to be very honest, it's plausible (though grounded Wizard's Foot should help in some cases with its out-prioritizing nature, guys like Falco do indeed worry me). Ganon is really new ground, and we did have three options. We could leave him terrible (obviously bad choice), make him into another Ike (would be popular but not a good choice), or make him into something very different from any other character that is going to be pretty difficult to analyze (what we did). Hopefully over the next several months we can really pin Ganon's real matchups down. If you happen to get any good, detailed impressions of specific Ganon matchups or have some good Ganon replays, please do share them.

As per Link's aerial spin attack, for one, we aren't planning on using file replacement (too insecure), and regardless, why would you want to remind yourself of Link's smash 64 recovery? I mean, as much trouble as he gets for his Brawl recovery, it's amazing compared to the smash 64 one... It is clear that aerial spin attack is a poor offensive maneuver, but given that Link has three powerful aerials, two quick ones, and a useful zair along with the ability to use all of his good projectiles in the air, I'm not sure he needs it to be a good offensive maneuver...

As per Kirby, Copy in general should see a lot more play, but Kirby's Link arrows theoretically shouldn't be buffed. Kirby projectile powers are weird though (fun fact: the hitbox data code totally ignores them just like stage hazards); it's possible something came of that that we didn't expect.

The real caution with Link's arrows is that reflectors are terrifying for him. Mario, Pit, R.O.B., Fox, Falco, Wolf, Ness, Lucas... If Link's at high damage and gets a reflected arrow back at him in those matchups, he's pretty likely dead. I don't think this is unfair, but it's definitely something to be mindful of!
What's so different about Kirby's copy moves compared to the regular characters neutal specials? Is Kirby's version of them like better or worse?

JOE!

Smash Hero
whats diff about kirby is that he attacks them with their projectiles from a lower standpoint (omg shield poke) and he has multiple jumps (take that falco...). This can lead way to shenannigans.

Other than that, i think they have some different coding properties

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Kirby's copy moves have a lot of subtle but significant differences from other neutral Bs.

Olimar is the most obvious example.

Most of the stuff Kirby does has less range, including on projectiles like Mario and Luigi's fireballs I believe, and G&W's Chef actually counts as an energy projectile when copied. Most melee attacks Kirby copies also have less range.

In general when you copy an ability it has less range just cuz Kirby is really small, so in theory the way you take advantage of it is by using his superior mobility to make it unique.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Kirby's powers are in general unique moves. His projectile powers in particular are just weird code-wise. The hitbox data collection code totally ignores them much like it ignores stage hazards (if you play with that code on, they actually lose their hitboxes!). I can't really explain why this is, but the result is that Kirby powers are a bit less malleable than other moves.

That was just a list of all characters who are capable of reflecting projectiles. Obviously Fox is far better at doing it than Ness... though while Ness and Lucas's are mostly impractical for arrow reflecting, I think you underrate R.O.B.'s. It's hardly the greatest reflector, but it's quite reasonable to pull it off if you really go for it.

For its speed, range/disjointedness, and safety, Link's uair is pretty powerful (the fact that you're comparing it to a smash, even a mediocre one, should say something). Do remember that it's decently common to hit opponents who are way up in the air with a move like that so in those cases you can kill pretty low. It also does a lot of damage as I recall; there are many senses of the word "powerful"... Also, while Link's fair hit 2 is hardly the easiest move to land, it's far from hopelessly impractical... As an aside, while Link's KO power in standard Brawl is certainly nothing special, it's not really bad. It's fairly average really. Link in general is a character with a few fairly nasty weaknesses (recovery is the most obvious, being chaingrabbed by Falco worse than anyone else is a nice #2) that aren't necessarily character ruining but who doesn't have the kind of strengths he'd need to actually be good in face of those weaknesses. We decided to give him those strengths; I think it worked out.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Interesting responses.

I merely brought up what was being investigated with Link through PAC's in B+ because it was being talked about. I didn't want to start a war of how many good air moves Link has......However, I would suggest you not discredit how awesome this 64 replica turned out. Its VERY interesting but investigate it on your own. I'm done talking about it.

Anyway AA. I really like what happened with ganon and I wouldn't change it for a second. I realize its hard to create a character like ganon who had so many polarizing flaws without him being too good. If I were to make a suggestion, next build. It might help to de-polarize ganon a little bit if Ganons Nair/Bair had insane priority like the wizkick. This would allow ganon to have at least 2 approach angles to deal with horizontal projectile campers. But its your game and you've done a great job. I don't want to derail it at all. Thinking about it, It would need lots of testing to see to what extent can ganon get over those mobile projectiles.

I'll look into the kirby arrows again next friday. I may have "overexagerated" it a little bit. and before I go further I just want to check it out. I guess I will just say we were getting owned by kirby because it was a 3 way. Kirby Link and Falco. And Kirby copied our powers and just ***** our recoveries.......Can you see how it might be over exaggerated?

On a last interesting note. Reflectors aren't as "terrible" as you think. only arrows will **** Link but I find my play style heavily relying on bombs and boomerangs which neither will really do anything if reflected, to open up opportunities for Sword and zair spacing. Arrows are used only for tech chase and gimp in these matches, never just to use.

What is REALLY interesting about Link is this

........Apparently, if Link gets hit by an arrow, you can DI down and zair grab the ledge to survive. Here is an example.

I'm sure you've all seen it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0u3sUOShcI Look at 4:45.

YES IT APPEARS THE ANGLE MIGHT BE LOW ENOUGH TO DO THIS SOMEWHAT CONSISTENTLY IF ENOUGH PRACTICE IS PUT IN. GIVEN ENOUGH SPACE TO DI. I DID IT ONCE WITH A LITTLE LUCK UNDER SPECIFIC CIRCUMSTANCES AND ENCOURAGE PEOPLE TO EXAMINE THIS TO SEE IF THEY CAN DO IT CONSISTANTLY

Thanks for the feedback AA

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You know what's ironic? People say Toon Link sucks at KOs...when most of his KO moves KO significantly earlier than Link's. His U-air, Smashes, and F-air specifically.

Link's best asset in vBrawl was his ability to rack up damage if anything. He could camp and be difficult to approach, and his moves do great damage per hit, but KOing G&W at merely 110% with F-smash is pretty awful, considering that's probably his most practical KO move.

Yeah but seriously, the point remains that the KO power buffs he got were essential and he's an example of a character that actually got addressed well for the purposes of becoming viable. Now he can camp, and kill after camping. Unlike where he just camps in vBrawl and your opponent just takes damage.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
This might sound weird and will need a lot of testing, but...what about putting Reflect properties on the wind in Ganon's uTilt? On top of that...maybe extend a wind-only hitbox that covers the entire stage so it drags camping opponents toward him? I can see this helping against the Falco matchup a lot, whilst it would be very impractical against most other characters.

Fox Hater

Smash Journeyman
Umm... why would you run into the spam? I'd be afriad of being b-air'd and d-air'd then his smashes. G&W is also easy to become telegraphed. Also, if you didn't read correctly, there is rare changes to timing. And lag IS timing. I'm sorry if you playing really good G&W's and your not quite as good, unless you play someone like Lucas or Ness and keep getting gimped, if that's true, learn the MU.

Im really a good player in PR and when I say G&W smashes are overpower is not cause I cant beat him. I use samus and marth. Samus cause I like how she plays although she is low tier and Marth and DK for tournaments. But it is really frustrating how I lose to scrubs who spam turtle( bair) then dodge dodge downsmash or forward smash. and u try to pressure them with proyectiles, even charged B and their bair eat the charged shot. and all of ur attacks wont even collide. And they can spam their smashes that are super strong, and are safe. He can throw 2 smashes and is completly safe. On when he dodges I can punish with marth dancing blade and the first hit misses but the others catch G&W after the dodge. Its kind of stup***.

Melee G&W was kind of cool http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1yJsYCzs04 (a must see vid)

but brawl G&W is ********

Maybe G&W wasnt as good as snake, mk or others in brawl but in BBrawl youll see.

Melee fans / Aggresive Players - Brawl+
Brawl fans / Defensive Players - BBrawl
Competatively, it depends on what you like. I'm not going to say if either is better competively wise, because they are totally different games almost.
I personaly think BBRAWL is better. AND IM A MELEE ***** FAN. I prefer melee all the way first to brawl. But why play Brawl + when I have melee see? If I want to play a diferent game I play BBRAWL. and I stoped playing brawl cause it wasnt a balanced game now it is for the exception of G&W but he can still be beaten by lowtiers. hightiers wont have a problem with him.

There are a couple of vids of mine (Melee) but that was when I started playing melee again. and I realized why play BRAWL + if the melee experience is way better. If I want to play brawl it has to be brawl and balanced, then BBRAWL came to reality

JOE!

Smash Hero
This might sound weird and will need a lot of testing, but...what about putting Reflect properties on the wind in Ganon's uTilt? On top of that...maybe extend a wind-only hitbox that covers the entire stage so it drags camping opponents toward him? I can see this helping against the Falco matchup a lot, whilst it would be very impractical against most other characters.
so, we give ganon;s crotch magical anti-projectile properties, as well as the ability to suck people into it from afar?

ew

TP

Smash Master
Giving reflection to Ftilt would be more practical and would look much cooler.

More importantly, people need to stop suggesting changes so much. The game will not be changed again (barring some extreme discovery) until 2010. It's time to start working with what you've got. It is way too early to know what matchups or characters are unbalanced, which is exactly why there will be no more changes for a long time.

I personaly think BBRAWL is better. AND IM A MELEE ***** FAN. I prefer melee all the way first to brawl. But why play Brawl + when I have melee see? If I want to play a diferent game I play BBRAWL. and I stoped playing brawl cause it wasnt a balanced game now it is for the exception of G&W but he can still be beaten by lowtiers. hightiers wont have a problem with him.

There are a couple of vids of mine (Melee) but that was when I started playing melee again. and I realized why play BRAWL + if the melee experience is way better. If I want to play brawl it has to be brawl and balanced, then BBRAWL came to reality
Please do not bring up Brawl+, or Melee for that matter. This thread is cluttered enough without pointless and tired arguments getting in the way of everything.

:034:

18.15.2.15x12.9.14.11

Smash Cadet
I just played Link, I'm really happy with him. The only thing I still want changed about him is really trivial - his aerial spin attack. The grounded one is great now, but in the air it's still really weak. And it looks like it would do a lot of damage, too. Most people wouldn't care, but I just happened to really like that move.
Am I going to get a yes or no answer on this? :(

JOE!

Smash Hero
i think the reason the aerial version isnt being buffed is due to it's lack of use.

you really shouldnt be using it in the air unless you're recovering, and then it does a nice job of getting people away from you (for the most part)

Links usually do Zair, Nair or Bair for aerial attacks anywho.

now on an unrelated note:

is there a playlist for the songs used in the BBrawl Showcase floating around anywhere?

18.15.2.15x12.9.14.11

Smash Cadet
i think the reason the aerial version isnt being buffed is due to it's lack of use.

you really shouldnt be using it in the air unless you're recovering, and then it does a nice job of getting people away from you (for the most part)

Links usually do Zair, Nair or Bair for aerial attacks anywho.
I actually found a few WTF [true] combos with it (they're all really bizarre). It would be so awesome if it was buffed. :(

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
All Ganondorf needs is ONE attack that can be safe on block in 98% of all situations when used in normal gameplay. Projectiles and opponents shieldcamping will no longer be as crippling if Ganondorf can get one thing he can do to safely approach. If you make N-air have half the landing lag, Ganondorf will still be a difficult character to use, BUT, he will finally have a shield pressure option that he's always lacked.

It's pretty ****ing stupid how laggy his N-air is at any rate for how tricky it is to space it. I mean, I bet if it wasn't laggy, Ganon players would learn to make it a viable approach and pressure tool. It wouldn't be over-centralizing, it would just make him viable against defensive play.

Or as I was saying earlier, Ganon's Jab gets punished by spotdodge. Seriously....it's not fair at all when Ivysaur's B-air also gets to do 9%. <_<

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
For the time being, we really aren't seeking suggestions. What we need at this stage is matchup discussion to get a firm grip on where everyone stands.

And BTW, Link can totally tether to save himself from reflected arrows even at ridiculous %s. Tons of fun.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
No, not ew. Awesome. It would mean that Ganon's so awesome even his balls can own you.
Sigged, lol

Sheik's match ups are so far vastly improved as we've tested her against ike, snake, mk, marth and kirby not that she had too much trouble against ike before but in TB it was a joke.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
That was the best Melee match I've ever seen (because I main G&W).

Lawwwwwwwwwwwwl. Old Manondorf Balls have become so firm, rigid, and petrified that everything bounces off of them.

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion

What is REALLY interesting about Link is this

........Apparently, if Link gets hit by an arrow, you can DI down and zair grab the ledge to survive. Here is an example.

I'm sure you've all seen it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0u3sUOShcI Look at 4:45.

YES IT APPEARS THE ANGLE MIGHT BE LOW ENOUGH TO DO THIS SOMEWHAT CONSISTENTLY IF ENOUGH PRACTICE IS PUT IN. GIVEN ENOUGH SPACE TO DI. I DID IT ONCE WITH A LITTLE LUCK UNDER SPECIFIC CIRCUMSTANCES AND ENCOURAGE PEOPLE TO EXAMINE THIS TO SEE IF THEY CAN DO IT CONSISTANTLY
Really you can do this when hit by anything.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km8pXkCcIgY

Yeah, in the Grand Finals of our tourney.
Oh man how loud we got at that.

For the time being, we really aren't seeking suggestions. What we need at this stage is matchup discussion to get a firm grip on where everyone stands.

And BTW, Link can totally tether to save himself from reflected arrows even at ridiculous %s. Tons of fun.
You can always ask me for Ike/Marth stuff, cause Legan/Kit can handle Link/Wario stuff. ;)

Swordplay

Smash Lord
the only reason that happened is because of norfair.............

On most stages with only one ledge, the angle needs to be Low to DI down........(still an amazing match)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I actually found a few WTF [true] combos with it (they're all really bizarre). It would be so awesome if it was buffed. :(
Training Mode combos? Hitstun in training mode is deceptive since the combo counter only indicates hitstun before you can jump or do specials, and not for doing aerials or air dodges. If you're comboing with an attack that puts someone in the tumble phase, your next attack has to be done in extremely rapid succession after the previous one to reliably combo before they can air dodge. The game can register things like CF's D-air -> Knee as a combo even though it's easily attacked or air dodged out of.

BentoBox

Smash Master
I'd like to know what is being done about Sheik and her lack of KO options~ Seeing as you did not alter the decay system, she should still have a lot of trouble killing. Peach had the same issues and was consequently buffed; why does Sheik get so much less? I haven't had the chance to toy around with her new F-smash but is that supposed to solve the problem?

daisho

Smash Lord
I'd like to know what is being done about Sheik and her lack of KO options~ Seeing as you did not alter the decay system, she should still have a lot of trouble killing. Peach had the same issues and was consequently buffed; why does Sheik get so much less? I haven't had the chance to toy around with her new F-smash but is that supposed to solve the problem?
They did change the switch time to zelda, that is how they solved the problem.

Imagine if they buffed sheik to have KO options... then someone who uses them as a unit would be broken.

Peach similarly would be too god of a character if she had many reliable KO options.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm pretty sure by the way he was talking about Sheik's F-smash.

By the way, Sheik's DACUS is pretty gay and it's one of the stronger Up-smashes in the game actually. She's difficult to use in high level play. Just, she's got tons of options.

Anyhow, I expect F-smash out of shield to become popular with Sheik due to the main problem of the attack was the crappy first hitbox.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
People I have been testing with have been using f-smash a ton as Sheik now. I use it more than I used to, but not as much.

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
Sheik's Fsmash is quite a lot better now, I enjoy it.
The only thing keeping me away from playing her though was the kill power I guess, though I do enjoy Zelda more.

Well, this is trying to make the character more what it was intended to be; use Sheik to rack damage, and Zelda for kills and stuff. Though, alone, they are better then they were in vBrawl, they are still trying to make the duo more of a duo.

shanus

Smash Hero
Training Mode combos? Hitstun in training mode is deceptive since the combo counter only indicates hitstun before you can jump or do specials, and not for doing aerials or air dodges. If you're comboing with an attack that puts someone in the tumble phase, your next attack has to be done in extremely rapid succession after the previous one to reliably combo before they can air dodge. The game can register things like CF's D-air -> Knee as a combo even though it's easily attacked or air dodged out of.
That is because you can jump out on frame 1, whereas most characters air dodges will not put you into invuln state until frame 3 or 4. The combo counter in training mode is very accurate, I think you just had a misconception with it because its combos which are registered are also easily removed via proper DI.

G_Man

Smash Rookie
When will Balanced Brawl be available without Homebrew-Channel in the PAL-Version, too?
I know some people, who would play BB, but only that way.

And... Please fix Ganon's Warlock Punch? ^^ It's necessary to give each char a set of useable moves. Balanced Brawl fix very much, but not this punch.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
Link's best asset in vBrawl was his ability to rack up damage if anything. He could camp and be difficult to approach, and his moves do great damage per hit, but KOing G&W at merely 110% with F-smash is pretty awful, considering that's probably his most practical KO move.
To be quite honest, 110% is not bad. (I'm assuming this statistic was taken without the involvement of DI or bucket braking.) And Link mains will all agree that Link can still KO faster than most of the cast. Anyway, off topic.

The reason I'm a fan of balanced brawl is that AA and Think attempted to create balance by buffing the strengths of certain characters to make up for their weaknesses. I agree, the KO buffs are very significant, as well as the arrow buff to his camping game. He was a bad character because of CGs and recovery issues, which while CGs have been addressed, changes in playstyle still make recovery a substantial problem. This in itself signifies a balance in Link's character as a whole, and as long as they continue to address characters individually before labeling them through match-ups and tiers, I can see success in this project. Our job as a community is to label them, let them do the job of balancing.

I'm sure theses are the reasons why Marth and G&W were not addressed. Surely, they could not predict the outcome of match-up changes, but stand alone, they are rather balanced (strong, but balanced all the same.) Marth has issues recovering and G&W, while annoying, has to address the issue of predictability. He's great overall as a character with relatively safe approaches, but without taking any risks, he's not bound for success. G&W mains have to find a way to be aggressive and give up the safe approach during the match at times, because sometimes it may not be the best option.

Im really a good player in PR and when I say G&W smashes are overpower is not cause I cant beat him. I use samus and marth. Samus cause I like how she plays although she is low tier and Marth and DK for tournaments. But it is really frustrating how I lose to scrubs who spam turtle( bair) then dodge dodge downsmash or forward smash. and u try to pressure them with proyectiles, even charged B and their bair eat the charged shot. and all of ur attacks wont even collide. And they can spam their smashes that are super strong, and are safe. He can throw 2 smashes and is completly safe.
There's a significant disparity between pro G&Ws and good ones. When I see you use the word scrub grouped with the word spam, I can't help but feel skeptical of your matches. Again, G&W is a great character with many safe options. But is he aggressive enough? The fact is that unless you're falling for their spam, G&W has to take risks to win, which makes him relatively balanced. And you shouldn't fall for their spam. Perhaps your character doesn't have quite the responses you wish for it to have against G&W. Find a way around it or pick up a secondary. However, I find Samus does have options to make the match-up a tad easier, and Marth certainly has counters to G&W's safe approaches and ways to punish his risky ones.

You say you can beat G&Ws, so what makes you think he's unbalanced? (Other than safe, spammable moves which can also cause predictability and therefore decrease their success of hitting?)

Really you can do this when hit by anything.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km8pXkCcIgY

Yeah, in the Grand Finals of our tourney.
Oh man how loud we got at that.
I find Legan's counterpick choice... interesting. Although Norfair did increase his survivabiltiy significantly, his camping game was severely hindered because the stage gave Wario even greater aerial options. And it was exemplified: Link survived long, but looking at damage percents given, Wario proved to rack up perhaps twice as much damage as Link. And the Wario didn't look to have any trouble during the match. Perhaps that is just the difference in skill level between the players (although Legan is one of the iconic Links, so I wouldn't think so.) Perhaps Legan should reconsider his counterpicks....

Great match nonetheless!

Buffed Zelda. Although personally, I'm rather a fan of solo Sheik and don't have too much of a problem KOing. Jab->d-smash or jab, jab->dsmash is rather consistent and effective as long as you don't stale the d-smash. DACUS is a must-learn for Sheik mains to maximize on grab releases and opportunities to do 12%-34% (or was it 32... don't remember) in general. I don't like how they changed the growth/base of f-tilt since it was her bread and butter. In fact, solo Sheik is significantly weaker in this version. Sure, she can still combo off f-tilt, but the decay system really worked in her favor as to setting up combos and saving KO options in vBrawl. Now, it's like I'm hitting harder when I don't want to, simply because I need to keep racking up damage for my kill. Her f-smash can be used more often as a damage racker at least?

I only disagree with proponents of Sheik being high tier (although her potential is amazing) because of her weight and her recovery. Both, hand and hand, are her weaknesses and downfalls that make her balanced. Play to your strengths, hide your weaknesses through your stage selection and gameplay, and you can still win with Sheik (but it's still really hard to hide that weakness in the face of vBrawl's top tiers. Snake was never a big issue, but looking at MK/Wario and all other characters above her with even semi-decent gimping capabilities, no wonder why she's low.) However, in accordance in what I think was AA and Think's philosophy, they didn't really do much to buff her strengths. And her weaknesses still exist. That's why I feel she's fallen a bit (alone at least.)

I suppose AA and Think were emphasizing on using both... but a lot of people can agree that people tend to relax when Sheik transforms into Zelda. Their immediate reaction is (so Zelda will probably kill in me in 10 seconds.. but I bet I can rack up 50% in the meantime!)

I'll gladly argue with people as to where Sheik (solo) stands in balanced brawl. She's my secondary after all. (Although people tend to think she's my main considering how often I use her. Is it my fault MKs are so abundant?)

I hope I didn't ramble on too much. It's just so hard to keep up with the conversation when I'm away from my computer for what I deem extensive periods of time!

NNID
Budget_Player
When will Balanced Brawl be available without Homebrew-Channel in the PAL-Version, too?
I know some people, who would play BB, but only that way.

And... Please fix Ganon's Warlock Punch? ^^ It's necessary to give each char a set of useable moves. Balanced Brawl fix very much, but not this punch.
I WANT THIS FRIGGIN' PAL HACK

KTHX!

About the punch... as much as we'd like every move to be useful, it just isn't going to happen. >.> Quote from earlier: "Jigglypuff essentially has 7 attacks". Think about that one for a moment. They aren't going for hitbox or speed changes; they aren't going to fix attacks that suck from principle such as Warlock Punch (too slow and mighty to do anything useful), Sing (more like Splash, amirite?), or Rollout (hello shieldgrab!).

G_Man

Smash Rookie
I WANT THIS FRIGGIN' PAL HACK

KTHX!

About the punch... as much as we'd like every move to be useful, it just isn't going to happen. >.> Quote from earlier: "Jigglypuff essentially has 7 attacks". Think about that one for a moment. They aren't going for hitbox or speed changes; they aren't going to fix attacks that suck from principle such as Warlock Punch (too slow and mighty to do anything useful), Sing (more like Splash, amirite?), or Rollout (hello shieldgrab!).

They also fixed Ganon's UpB, that was far away to be useful. It is still hard to hit with upB, but now you will not be punished, if you hit. Of Course... speed was not changed much... but the frames of some moves were reduced... for example the end lag of Ike's Quickdraw or Zelda's ftilt. They add some effects like slip- and ground-elements. Every move can be fixed... it's difficult i know, cause there is the danger to make someting broken.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I also feel the drive towards the Duo in Zelda/Sheik being what was improved overall, however I don't use them as a Duo unless I absolutely have to. I use Zelda for the matchups that my Sheik has trouble with and visa versa, and now I can do it on the fly w/a smaller penalty, but I too prefer solo Zelda or Sheik.

1.) vs Ike: Again not too difficult a matchup before, but now her lower knockback in addition to ike's standing weight has led to this matchup becoming even more difficult for Ike which is good. Though her smash attacks seem to have similar impact as before, her grab game has definitely made it worthwhile to store her fsmash for end of play results and less of a mid play tactic. + to Sheik.

2.) vs Marth: ha! classic battle these too, I have often equated Sheik to Marth in their style of play, fast, quick hitting, loving the air game... Marth didn't get any changes so this was a key matchup for us (we have a few marth mains) the increased damage of her close range needles kinda like mario's fireball is effectively keeping marth from a grounded game which ironically was Sheik's weakness against him, so now it forces an air game which is the desired result if you want to keep Marth from setting up his ground combos. + to Sheik.

There is a flip to this tho, the decreased knockbacks in Sheik make Marth's pressure game a little harder to stave off. - to Sheik.

3.) vs Snake: I in no way ever found this matchup easy, lol Unlike Ike, Snake is a far more lucid character, more fluid in dynamic and range, and so Sheik basically spends the round chasing after him and getting blown up in the process.
This... unfortunately hasn't changed. At first we were like "yay she can stand up to Snake now" but no, our snake mains took like, 20 minutes to unravel the new Sheik. There's just too many explosive combos for even Sheik to deal with, for this matchup to be more balanced, I would submit sheik's will need to have her stronger fsmash knockback back. - to Sheik.

4.) vs Meta Knight: ha! Ok, so I main MK and brought it to the new Sheik. She actually is able to get some decent grab combos off now, but he's not any easier to grab. you can set up a good stun-grab combo but if you miss the punishment makes it not worth the attempt, IMHO. More of the usual MK's bs is still able to cancel Sheik. We had a good run of it but after a few hours MK still comes out way ahead. - to Sheik.

5.) vs Kirby: well Kirby's wall options still present a problem for Sheik, but now her fthrow combos -> tilt combos actually cause kirby to have to reset so this is good, cause it'll keep the pressure game more balanced. + to Sheik.

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, it is in extremely rapid succession. I wouldn't worry about it not being a true combo. It's not even hard to pull off. It's just extremely punishable. Its obscurity and bizarreness helps it on that, though. I was hit by it once, but never again.

That is because you can jump out on frame 1, whereas most characters air dodges will not put you into invuln state until frame 3 or 4. The combo counter in training mode is very accurate, I think you just had a misconception with it because its combos which are registered are also easily removed via proper DI.
No, he was right. Some "true combos" worked against the CPU on "control" but were air dodged by the CPU on "stop." The combo counter is most certainly not very accurate.

People I have been testing with have been using f-smash a ton as Sheik now. I use it more than I used to, but not as much.
What

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
1.) vs Ike: Again not too difficult a matchup before, but now her lower knockback in addition to ike's standing weight has led to this matchup becoming even more difficult for Ike which is good. Though her smash attacks seem to have similar impact as before, her grab game has definitely made it worthwhile to store her fsmash for end of play results and less of a mid play tactic. + to Sheik.
Nothing about what I'm gonna' say is supposed to sound rude, but I don't see Sheik being much for Ike, besides the quick aerials. But with Ike's new recovery, Sheik's obvious weakness is going to shine a bit more here then others. The Ike will get grabbed, yeah, but his jab game, and with proper reading, should be able to take care of a Sheik. I'd say this is a pretty solid match up, I enjoy it a lot myself.

Maybe...55:45, 60:40 AT MOST, Sheik, I'd lean towards 55:45 more though.

.) vs Marth: ha! classic battle these too, I have often equated Sheik to Marth in their style of play, fast, quick hitting, loving the air game... Marth didn't get any changes so this was a key matchup for us (we have a few marth mains) the increased damage of her close range needles kinda like mario's fireball is effectively keeping marth from a grounded game which ironically was Sheik's weakness against him, so now it forces an air game which is the desired result if you want to keep Marth from setting up his ground combos. + to Sheik.
I, too, love this match up. Quite epic, I must say. The needles, I could see cripple a lot of what Marth is going try to get going on the Sheik, the shield pressure from the needles can allow Sheik to set her **** up fairly simply. Though besides that, I see a lot of stuff in advantage for Marth. Once a combo gets flyin', hard to stop us. And a Marth with good DI isn't the easiest guy in the world.

I'd say, with her needle pressure, and ability to gimp, bringing the match up more towards being even, I'd put this 55:45 Marth.

I find Legan's counterpick choice... interesting. Although Norfair did increase his survivabiltiy significantly, his camping game was severely hindered because the stage gave Wario even greater aerial options. And it was exemplified: Link survived long, but looking at damage percents given, Wario proved to rack up perhaps twice as much damage as Link. And the Wario didn't look to have any trouble during the match. Perhaps that is just the difference in skill level between the players (although Legan is one of the iconic Links, so I wouldn't think so.) Perhaps Legan should reconsider his counterpicks....

Great match nonetheless!
Normally, he is amazing on Norfair, and the two players are both phenomenal players. I suppose Kit just knows how to use Wario on Norfair, I'm pretty sure this wasn't the first time they've met in tourney.

JMHO.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I mean that I see a lot of people I test with using Sheik f-smash all the time now. Although I don't spam it as much as they do, I use it more frequently (than in normal Brawl) too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom