• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balanced Brawl Standard Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOE!

Smash Hero
On Bowser's Dthrow again:

did you factor in both the frames of immovability after the opponent is launched, coupled with all the frames of the startup for all bowser's follow up options? As well as the amount of frames wher ethe opponent can free him/herself from any followup?

ZacTASTIC

Smash Apprentice
I'm loving the new Link's arrows. 100% pwnage and awesome recovery-killer. I love ****** Snakes' cyphers. =)
I know usually tampering with attributes in general is pretty taboo for BB, but Link's recovery still sucks! Can it be made better in the next installment, somehow?

Also, Playing new link and then returning to my boy Toon... sad about Toon's unchanged arrows. =(

NNID
Budget_Player
I'm loving the new Link's arrows. 100% pwnage and awesome recovery-killer. I love ****** Snakes' cyphers. =)
I know usually tampering with attributes in general is pretty taboo for BB, but Link's recovery still sucks! Can it be made better in the next installment, somehow?

Also, Playing new link and then returning to my boy Toon... sad about Toon's unchanged arrows. =(

Balanced Brawl has most of the characters dealing with strengths; almost no chars got buffs on their weak points. Link got buffed enough onstage that recovering with him should not be a problem unless you are playing against a character who is really good at gimping, like metaknight.

JOE!

Smash Hero
if Link had both a good recovery, and his awesome ground game, he'd be broken.

keeping his bad recovery as a "weakness", but strengthening what he's allready good at (controlling the ground) is what BBrawl is all about.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I have BBrawl now. Turns out my bro had gotten an SD card reader ages ago. Ryko helped me get all the files stright. The only thing I need to know now is how to use PSA alongside BBrawl, so I can play as Jin vs. my brother's BBrawl characters.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Balanced Brawl has most of the characters dealing with strengths; almost no chars got buffs on their weak points. Link got buffed enough onstage that recovering with him should not be a problem unless you are playing against a character who is really good at gimping, like metaknight.
That's why I feel the characters that improved the most, and the ones that will be new threats are the ones that actually got buffed where their weak points were.

Respectively, Mario, Samus, Link, and Captain Falcon, these four characters had workable movepools that could be made to play gay enough in the standard metagame (debatable for Captain Falcon I guess, but he does have random stuff that is safe on block). Their main problem if anything was relatively low reward upon landing moves, as none of these characters were very powerful when it came to scoring KOs, so by increasing the damage/knockback on various moves, those characters actually had some of their most significant problems addressed.

Mario and Samus I believe in particular actually have pretty good setups into KO moves in general, so the extra reward they get on landing key moves makes them a top tier threat. Both these characters are also good at edgeguarding too, which adds to their versatility.

JOE!

Smash Hero
I see what you mean A2.

It's kinda like making MK heavier: it eliminates his one real shortcoming.

Do the same to some of the "worse characters" by filling their "holes".....

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I have BBrawl now. Turns out my bro had gotten an SD card reader ages ago. Ryko helped me get all the files stright. The only thing I need to know now is how to use PSA alongside BBrawl, so I can play as Jin vs. my brother's BBrawl characters.
I think all you would have to do is have a gct with BBrawl's codeset, the file replacement code, and the appropriate folders with the .pacs of the PSA characters. So if you have already have Jin set up all you need to do is replace the gct in the codes folder with a BBrawl + file replacement gct.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm gonna bet that Fox in particular will see a short jump in popularity in Japanese BBrawl. For whatever dumb reason, it looks like to me the Japanese seem to like Brawl Fox a lot, and of course not automatically getting invalidated by certain characters helps...

timothyung

Smash Ace
I'm not sure, but I think the porter (KENTA3753) wants to be credited. So please at least thank him for porting BBrawl to Japan. I think there's no problem linking to his site, though. You should ask for his permission if you want to put it in your mediafire account... but I don't think it's necessary to re-upload the codes

BG3

Smash Journeyman
Japanese players play much more offensively, so you'll likely get a lot of good matches from them.

☆_Mutha-Foxin GangstaKirby_☆

Banned via Warnings
waiting for mars to hurry up with that **** blunt
We are pleased to announce that this standard version is geared toward widespread play, including tournament play, more than ever before. By working in conjunction with Smash Stack, a new program written by Comex, Balanced Brawl can be booted on any Wii, including Wiis without the Homebrew Channel! That's right, hacking your Wii with HBC installation is no longer a requirement! All you need is an SD Card (2 GB or smaller required), a Wii, and a copy of Brawl to play. Just follow these simple steps (North American version only).

1. Place the files in the correct structure on the SD card. A .zip archive is available for download that will automatically place all files correctly (be sure you put the contents of the folder "Balanced Brawl" in the SD card, not the folder itself), but if you wish to do it manually, put the gameconfig.txt and the boot.elf file in the root of the SD card, rsbe01.gct in a folder named codes, and smash stack as the only file in the folder private/wii/app/rsbe/st
2. Delete all custom stages from your Wii, including the three that came with Brawl by default. If you wish to save any stages, back them to your computer or a second SD card.
3. Boot up Brawl and go to the stage builder. Press A to "Launch Game" when prompted. Brawl should restart.
4. Remove the SD card and enjoy Balanced Brawl! Failure to remove the SD card may result in crashing on the stage select screen.

Note: If you do not immediately go to stage builder, it is possible that Stack Smash will not load. If this happens, just restart the Wii and try again.

If you are using a version with the "no custom stages code" by Phantom Wings on (which will be most users), removing the SD card is not needed though not a bad idea anyway. Thanks go to illinialex and Bionic Sonic for this suggestion.

[/quote]

some one wanna make a brawl+ package using this method? o;

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Doesn't BBrawl now include the File Replacement code? If so, you can replace characters with PSA normally, and any attack that was changed in PSA will not be changed by BBrawl. It works pretty well.

Interestingly enough, BBrawl still changes moves that are left alone by PSA. I made a Ganon whose only difference was that he could draw Beam Swords via down-taunt. He still was able to ground with Wizkick and hurt people with up-tilt wind.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
Doesn't BBrawl now include the File Replacement code? If so, you can replace characters with PSA normally, and any attack that was changed in PSA will not be changed by BBrawl. It works pretty well.

Interestingly enough, BBrawl still changes moves that are left alone by PSA. I made a Ganon whose only difference was that he could draw Beam Swords via down-taunt. He still was able to ground with Wizkick and hurt people with up-tilt wind.
OhgodthatmovewouldbeexactlywhatGanondorfneedsinthenextupdatehavingthatwouldbesoawesome.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Is there any word on BBrawl Yoshi? I'm too lazy to pick up this character, but I wonder if anyone can tell me how improved they think Yoshi is.

My intuition tells me that Yoshi's buff on SideB and D-smash will make him jump a few tiers, but that's just me.

And random thing, but just saying, it did happen once in a match between me an Big O that Ganondorf's D-smash failed to connect. Aside from that, the thing that really annoys me about this attack is how when it hits shields, it drags people towards you, which is lame.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
Is there any word on BBrawl Yoshi? I'm too lazy to pick up this character, but I wonder if anyone can tell me how improved they think Yoshi is.

My intuition tells me that Yoshi's buff on SideB and D-smash will make him jump a few tiers, but that's just me.
While he kills better and survives better, the fact of the matter is that by removing Yoshi's grab-releases, they removed the one thing that had Yoshi as high up on the tier list as he was. So, while I think they may have made Yoshi a better basic character, I don't think he'll be moving up much, if at all.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I'll be on wifi so if anyones wants some messages, PM or VM or post here to let me know.

JOE!

Smash Hero
While he kills better and survives better, the fact of the matter is that by removing Yoshi's grab-releases, they removed the one thing that had Yoshi as high up on the tier list as he was. So, while I think they may have made Yoshi a better basic character, I don't think he'll be moving up much, if at all.
not necessarily, the grab releases were a means of racking easy, controlled damage.

Now the extra hitlag combined with low kb on his tilts lead to psuedo tilt locks to replace it.

Yoshi can combo like a fiend, has nice kill setups, and near unparalleled survivability.

He's gonna go up.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
First, we intentionally did not convert to PSA .pac files so that the release would be more tamper-proof, and the file replacement version would be fully compatible with it. Anything BBrawl changes that is left untouched by PSA will get the change. If PSA changes something, that will override BBrawl's codeset.

Yoshi's grab release is really overrated. It only works on some characters, does pitiful damage, and is vary stage-dependent. When someone suggested to Overswarm that Yoshi was a MK counter at a tourney I was at last year, he said "So you are going to grab release me across all of FD for... less damage than a Snake f-tilt? And then eat a Shuttle Loop when you try to fair spike me?"

The d-smash change is pretty big for Yoshi, and the tilt upgrades are definitely non-trivial. Basically, if Yoshi hits you once for every time you hit him he is going to win... and that's not that difficult. The ability to live longer than any character in the game horizontally is a pretty nice plus too.

I don't expect Yoshi to be say in the top 10, but if you came from the future and told me that he was, I'd believe it. I'd be kinda surprised, but I'd definitely believe it.

Who does everyone think is the worst in BBrawl? Someone said IC's in the IRC chat, but it was also mentioned that they were still viable. Worst person in BBrawl viable? ggs
Code:
Balanced Brawl First Impressions Tier List
Tag: Thinkaman
vBrawl Range: vWario -> vLucario

Tier 1 (Between vWario and vFalco)
------------

Tier 2 (Between vFalco and vDiddy)
------------

Tier 3 (Between vDiddy and vDDD)
------------

Tier 4 (Between vDDD and vMarth)
------------

Tier 5 (Between vMarth and vG&W)
------------

Tier 6 (Between vG&W and vPikachu)
------------

Tier 7 (Between vPikachu and vICs)
------------

Tier 8 (Between v ICs and vROB)
------------

Tier 9 (Between vROB and vKirby)
------------

Tier 10 (Between vKirby and vLucario)
------------
You know you want to...

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Ness's biggest problem was being a bit on the predictable side since most of his best damage output results from gimmicky setups and relatively committed moves. And that problem hasn't changed much at all. He's really only able to do more damage when his opponent screws up, and if his opponent doesn't screw up, he doesn't see much use of his improvements. Not getting grab released is nice, but the grab release infinite gets banned a lot.
Lol I love how you change your points to suit your needs. First it was lag, now it's predictability? Make up your mind you biased git.

Can you be more specific here?
screws up, and if his opponent doesn't screw up, he doesn't see much use of his improvements
I'd like to know what you mean. And if you actually played as Ness, you'd know his aerials aren't that laggy.

Also I noticed something, you suddenly jump on characters because of their buffs.

Nobody bans infinite idiot you moron. Lrn 2 play. I've seen alot of players deal with it.
The thing is, I really don't want to bother with you, since your way to biased. Not only that, it appears your uninformed outside your perpetual Mario dome.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO

And random thing, but just saying, it did happen once in a match between me an Big O that Ganondorf's D-smash failed to connect. Aside from that, the thing that really annoys me about this attack is how when it hits shields, it drags people towards you, which is lame.
Yeah it happened when you were Bowser and you were super close to me (overlapping). I'm not sure if it was because you technically were behind me and still got hit or if it was some obscure hitbox that never got changed.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
You've got to be ****ing kidding me.
JUMPING tiers?

God, why doesn't ANYONE call him out on this.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
JUMPING tiers?

Probably because we knew that he was using the wrong words, such as "jump" when he meant "move up" and "tiers" instead of "places". Also, I already addressed what was wrong with his thoughts.

daisho

Smash Lord
JUMPING tiers?

Probably because we knew that he was using the wrong words, such as "jump" when he meant "move up" and "tiers" instead of "places". Also, I already addressed what was wrong with his thoughts.
He means from normal brawl. So if this Yoshi were in normal brawl hed be in high tier, just like every other character in Bbrawl (according to thinkman, I don't know)

*_Echo_*

Smash Journeyman
keeping his bad recovery as a "weakness", but strengthening what he's allready good at (controlling the ground) is what BBrawl is all about.
so shouldn't olimar be VERY high tier? (higher than he was in regular brawl) he has one of the best ground games in the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom