• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balanced Brawl Public Preview *GENESIS UPDATE*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyada

Smash Apprentice
Honestly for the little bit I used sheik I understand how losing the ftilt lock is a pretty huge loss, but that's kind of the point of this code set. In the end people are going to need to think of other things sheik may gain in exchange. Like falco gains something out of losing his chain grab. Maybe a more viable killshot, I dunno.

And yes, zelda needs to be much much better.
Agreed, and I'm not arguing that F-Tilt lock didn't need to go. (I main Fox, after all; I'm well aware of the detrimental effect it has on balance.) However, I get the impression that the overall design goal here is "nerf Sheik, and make up for it by forcing people to use Zelda."

I am perfectly happy with the Tilt lock being gone and giving Sheik some buffs that allow her to be balanced and competitive while emphasizing her unique playstyle; however, I do not agree with making "some buffs" translate into "make Zelda better and require that Sheik players use her in order to win."

Watchful_Eye

Smash Apprentice
I could imagine that Im annoyed by the new Ike on the long run.

Of course it looks cool and funny on the first view that he can fly around like superman now, but obviously, it doesnt fit into his playstyle - and I think, the recoveries in Brawl are already "too good" in the most cases, as they destroy a lot of tactical potential of the game (the possibility to get the opponent off the stage instead of getting the opponent out of the hole screen).

Dont get me wrong, Im not against buffing Ike in general, but I think that this is just a change that doesnt fit to him.

AfroPingas

Smash Cadet
Uhhhh... the Codemanager says I have more than 256 lines of codes activated when I try to make it a GCT file...
Is there any codes that's not needed to just try out the actual gameplay like the infinite replay code? Or am I doing something wrong? A download link to the GCT file would be nice for us europeans too... >.>

Rykoshet

Smash Champion

Of course it looks cool and funny on the first view that he can fly around like superman now, but obviously, it doesnt fit into his playstyle - and I think, the recoveries in Brawl are already "too good" in the most cases, as they destroy a lot of tactical potential of the game (the possibility to get the opponent off the stage instead of getting the opponent out of the hole screen).

Dont get me wrong, Im not against buffing Ike in general, but I think that this is just a change that doesnt fit to him.
It's no more unreasonable than skull bash into quick attack or green missile into luigi tornado or monkey flip into rocket barrel. Secondly, how can you already acknowledge that so many characters have incredibly good recoveries then not find it completely out of whack that one character has such terrible options. You're not looking at it from a whole game perspective, you're looking at it from the perspective of someone who is just used to ike getting thrown off stage then losing a stock for just being there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHtm_eZdyoU

His playstyle did not change. The most effective way to play ike still exists, he just has more options for getting back safely and maybe to mindgame/edgeguard more effectively. I've been playing ikes who just think quick draw is going to light their path to victory, and I still fsmash the idiots who use it poorly. It allows ike to recover from more than the same old angles, and that's not remotely unreasonable.

Uhhhh... the Codemanager says I have more than 256 lines of codes activated when I try to make it a GCT file...
Is there any codes that's not needed to just try out the actual gameplay like the infinite replay code? Or am I doing something wrong? A download link to the GCT file would be nice for us europeans too... >.>
Edit: Nvm my mistake.

AfroPingas

Smash Cadet
No, when I use the TXT file in codemanager and try to turn it into a GCT file, it says I have too many lines of codes activated
Edit: Oh >.>
Useless post =o
Double edit: If Ike has a recovery like that now, but Link still has the worst in the game, but is still supposed to be as good as the rest of the characters I expect those arrows to be pretty darned good xD

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
I used to say that link's problem was 2 fold, and in a way related. He hit way too weak for someone who recovered like a heavyweight. I still think link needs a better recovery, but he's honestly a powerhouse right now and that's a pretty decent exchange. If he has to worry about dying at like 90, at least he can give someone a reasonable fear of the same.

AfroPingas

Smash Cadet
Ohhhh okay, as long as he's not bottom tier material anymore I'm happy.
In my opinion giving him back his bombjump from melee would be a good idea. It's not a big change to his recovery, but in it would be a great option to have.

Zephil

Smash Ace
sorry if this already asked but if Hanembow is now WIFI Training room, then what songs you put the stage? (if I am correct I think Hanembow didn´t had a song to begin with)

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
Why would you replace Hanenbow, a stage that is a CP in teams, instead of a stage that is actually banned (I believe New Pork City or 75m would be the best two to pick)

Also WarioWare is a very very fun neutral, one of my favorites. Freezing it would be a good thing.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
Hey AA or Thinkaman or whoever your coder is, could you pls make me an own Snake (Yeah it should be a balanced snake, but as well a "new" Snake so that Snake-Mains could have interest in playing BBrawl instead of vBrawl) ???

So here we go: (All Kill % are vs. DDD lvl 3 com and from the middle of FD... damage remains the same [I dont want to go into detail for begin])
Jab - Kills at ~150% -> Like in vBrawl
Ftilt - Kills at ~150% -> Like in vBrawl
Dtilt - Kills at ~150% -> Like in vBrawl
UpTilt - Kills at ~150% -> Like in BBrawl (Nerf)
---
UpSmash - Kills at ~300% (Charge Doesnt matter I think for knockback...) -> No random Up-Smash kills anymore + maybe little combo ability (Still a Nerf I think)
FSmash - Kills at ~70% (Uncharged) / ~40% (Charged) -> Like in vBrawl
DownSmash - Kills at ~100% (uncharged) / ~70% (Charged) -> Dont freak it out, it can kill snake as well and it takes the combo ability of the move (??? Buff/Nerf ???)
---
Nair - Kills at ~130% (last Hit) -> Like in vBrawl
UpAir - Kills at ~130% (sweetspot) -> Like in vBrawl
BackAir - Kills at ~130% (sweetspot) -> Like in vBrawl
Fair - Always Spike (Still very strong knockback like in vBrawl) - Can ground oppenant (Like Yoshis new Fair) + Higher Boost if possible -> This could be pretty awesome, but not that great because of Ending Lag (??? Buff/Nerf ???)
Dair - Always Spike (Strong like CFs I would say... not overpowered !) - Can ground oppenant (Like Ganons new Down-B) -> The new big deal, no Dair kills at 100% anymore, but a better spike than Fair and a total new experience of Chaining multiple Dairs and other Moves (??? Buff/Nerf ???)

---
Cypher stays the same - But the grab glitch should be out (If possible) (Buff)
Grenades kill at ~200% -> Like in vBrawl
C4 kills ~120% -> Like in vBrawl
Nikita kills ~160% (Depends on distance) -> Like in vBrawl
---
Box Taunt - Kills at ~200% (Why not ? Luigis D-Taunt kills too xD) (Buff)

So all in all there would be 7 changes (And still the Uptilt nerf). Fair & Dair are the most important cause I really would like to know how they would work, if this would be overpowered or not (Maybe it's worse than the original but still something new and usefull in another way). But I think the two moves could lead into a new of killing for Snake.

I think it's really important to give the character new options when nerfing a move. For example taking a killer, producing a combo-move. Taking a CG, producing an Tech-Chase. But if you just make the move completely worse than the original with nothing new what comes out, this is really bad.

DDD lost his DThrow CGs, but he has now a Dthrow/Upthrow Tech-Chase and Spike (Which is really cool with Fair Follow Up :D)

So pls do it for me & the smash community & all snake mainers :>

Also WarioWare is a very very fun neutral, one of my favorites. Freezing it would be a good thing.
This ! It's my favorite Stage in Brawl+ =)

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Fair - Always Spike (Still very strong knockback like in vBrawl) - Can ground oppenant (Like Yoshis Dair) + Higher Boost if possible -> This could be pretty awesome, but not that great because of Ending Lag (??? Buff/Nerf ???)
Dair - Always Spike (Strong like CFs I would say... not overpowered !) - Can ground oppenant (Like Ganons Down-B) -> The new big deal, no Dair kills at 100% anymore, but a better spike than Fair and a total new experience of Chaining multiple Dairs and other Moves (??? Buff/Nerf ???)
Snake having the ability to ground opponents would be ludicrously scary - especially considering how DAir comes out relatively quickly and can immobilize players on the stage with the first 3 hits. Basically, a grounded opponent is instant F-Smash bait for Snake, which means instant death if he grounds even a slightly damaged opponent.

Box Taunt - Kills at ~200% (Why not ? Luigis D-Taunt kills too xD) (Buff)
What about turning it into a minor spike? Get the opponent off and below the stage, then taunt and toss a box off the stage to block their return and score a rather humiliating gimp? :O

Actually I wanted to ask if anybody wanted to play some BBrawl with me online. I can't find any opponents and would really like to give this hack a real playtest with a real opponent. I use quite a few characters as well, so it would definitely be a (hopefully) worthwhile experience.

I'll keep an eye out for potential opponents for 20-30 minutes.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Thinkaman and I just had a pretty long discussion about the various data in this chat. I'm not going to go into details, but the following were big points of discussion:

ZSS, Snake, Toon Link, Peach, Zelda & Sheik

All of them are basically our immediate concerns. We were called out on kinda neglecting some middish characters, and it's probably true. This is why we have a public beta though, and you have to understand with 36 characters to balance it's pretty easy to do.

As per Snake in particular, we agrees that Snake being the only character who is basically strictly worse is bad and wanted to give him some interesting (though still conservative) trade-offs. Given that this is Snake here, an overall nerf is inevitable, but it should be the kind that doesn't leave the Snake mains feeling empty handed. Also, intense scientific analysis of the kill power of utilt is forthcoming seeing as it was a recurring concern from you guys.

DK grab release problems: these will definitely be addressed. DK's dependence on the normal advantage from his cargo throw was overlooked as an honest mistake.

Water stuff: guys, we have REALLY limited tools here, and we really do want Pirate Ship to be a fair level (much unlike in standard Brawl). Please give what we have a fair chance, and while Thinkaman has promised to do his best with the USB Gecko to find something he can do, don't expect too much because we really are just so limited.

Sorry to have not been able to reply to everyone, but 57 pages is really overwhelming. Don't feel ignored even if you don't get a reply; I (and probably Thinkaman too) have read and thought about every post. We really appreciate the feedback from everyone who has been playing the game!

Some characters I feel haven't been used very much yet. I'll just throw out a few who I think are particularly interesting...

Bowser, Samus, Meta Knight, Fox, Pokemon Trainer

Of course in a project this young there are many more, and even with characters who have received a lot of attention like Yoshi more development would definitely be extremely helpful. I'm just throwing these guys out those looking for something to explore.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Alright, first I have got to say thanks for the discussion. This is exactly what we want.

I'm going to address Egg Roll first. Egg Roll can now be used like bucket-breaking; Yoshi immediately does it to survive at higher levels of damage, even if he was hit out of double jump. Few characters can react fast enough in any way to hit Yoshi during this; Pit and ROB are probably the only ones period. Play with it and you will see that this is legitimately useful.

Pummel is a non-trivial buff. Yoshi's pivot grab is so good that this can easily mean +8-12% on some stocks. That's a pretty nice increase for one change.

Daisho pointed out everything I was going to say about fair. It isn't the biggest deal in the world, but it is a legitimate help that I hope people paly with more and investigate fully. Our Our group testers tend to like it after they warm up to it. (And it gets them a few dairs or f-smashes...)
Definetely not just Pit or Rob, remember projectiles.
Samus can probably charge shot you when your still in or in the leaving frames of the egg.

Anyways.
Still, F-air still feels like it needs something to make it more practical to use, the wind up is significant and the lack of range is also significant. Perhaps not, it doesn't exactly matter to much, Yoshi has enough options that I should just be figuring that, with everything else, F-air isn't a necessity (never was).

Since Im bored im gonna check up his matchups.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Some characters I feel haven't been used very much yet. I'll just throw out a few who I think are particularly interesting...

Bowser, Samus, Meta Knight, Fox, Pokemon Trainer
OH! I'm a definite Ivysaur secondary; he's probably my 2nd best used character. I can also play a decent Squirtle. My Charizard's a bit iffy at times, but basically I can definitely give some feedback on PT Trainer if somebody plays me.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
vBrawl's Pirate Ship is more fair then BBrawl's Pirate Ship.

I know you hate the level in vBrawl AA, but at least in vBrawl it isn't camp the back of the ship and bthrow for a free stock. You've taken a perfectly fine CP stage in vBrawl, and quite frankly changed it into a stage that should be banned. I'd rather have a blank space below then what is basically OHKO traps. At least I can recover from the emptiness. Delfino is nearly in the same boat. While there is less water, it's even easier to dump the opponent into the water when it's there.

I'm asking you quite plainly: please look past your opinion of Pirate Ship AA and change the water back to normal so it can be a proper CP again. At least until you can find a new way to change the water. It works in vBrawl, despite what you think. Water camping is less gay then OHKO water.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I prepared a bunch of replays that hotgarbage has been kind enough to capture. So far only one is done, expect the others tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luV6mxo-IUs

This is one about Mario that largely centers around dtilt though dsmash and forward aerial are shown off. It's also only 29 seconds long!

I'm going to be gone for a few days starting tomorrow so Thinkaman may end up temporarily putting the series in the second post instead of the OP.

About Pirate Ship, have you ever played a good G&W or Meta Knight there? Most of the games I played there had me winning really badly by just stalling horribly in the water. I actually played a MM on it somewhat recently against a good MK, and it went about like this:

1. MK gets the first hit.
2. MK spends the entire match camping the water.
3. MK wins by time because I can never regain the lead. At least 7 of the 8 minutes were him just jumping out of the water and using fast aerials to parry my predictable approaches (since the water is so limiting).

If I landed the first hit, I have full confidence I would have won too. It's not a good CP in standard Brawl; it's really degenerate. Hanging out forever in the water is really gamebreaking, but for reasons I don't understand a lot of players just don't do it. Also, I'm not sure how you are bthrowing people into the water... That's not easy to do at all given that pretty much every bthrow sends you not only back but also up.

Browny

Smash Hater
@browny
the fundamental flaw in your argument is that you arent realizing that sonic isnt as bad as the other characters that are getting game changers (as far as the tier list is concerned), and therefore he does not need as many or as important buffs as they are getting
Sonic IS that bad. People telling themselves otherwise wont change a thing. everyone who mains him knows it.

Still waiting on a repsonse from AA or thinkaman on my suggestion...
swap the buff from dair and uair so they do +1 and +2. and add the damage over both hits. only increasing the 2nd hit isnt that useful. Not gonna state all my reasons/arguments again for 4th time >_<

hankydysplasia

Smash Cadet
No fix on the fact ROB literally cannot kill people? Well, okay...
ROB is my favorite to play with and was my first main, but I found it much easier to win against more people with Meta Knight and Falco so he dropped to three. Speaking as a person who has never traveled nationally, but has never been out of the top 3 in regional tournaments, I think ROB could use a buff somewhere. I wouldn't think the highest level players would disagree too much either.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Just wanted to say that this project is pretty awesome. I wish that some of these changes would be implemented in Brawl+ instead of the dozens of frame speed mods that are used. I in particular love the way Link's arrows work now. They are beastly.

Since it seems like there wasn't that much change to the balance, if you ever feel like Metaknight is still too good, I would recommend the speed mod (despite what I said earlier) to make his d-smash have more cool down lag. d-smash against shield into another d-smash against shield is so dumb. In return, you could give some oomph back into the strength of d-smash. Another possibly to look into is changing weight values of certain characters.

Crow!

Smash Lord
I support what this project stands for, but I'm not convinced it actually did what it set out to do. There seem to be a large number of fundamental changes to the game's physics going on. Chaingrabs, locks to force standups, and other such things are very much a part of Brawl's gameplay and I'm reluctant to accept something as being a simple rebalancing of the game if it tries to replace fundamental issues like that.

Also, DDD's throws look absolutely ridiculous and hacky, and it sounds like Pika's are similar (I haven't played it yet). I'd much rather have a chaingrab in the game than an absurd up throw.

Anyway, thanks for all the effort.

King~

Smash Champion
just came from a smashfest where we played this for like an hour or two

comments:
-Sonic is really fawkin good, his buffs fit his character really nicely it seemed(the sonic main throughly enjoyed him)

-D3's upthrow tech chase is amazing, upthrow on ledge to inhale is boderline broken cause its guranteed

-bowsers buff was decent, but it showed where grab relase stuff would have helped(or so im told)

-MK is ok, it jus takes a lil longer to get used to the idea of not killing =/
(cant say much cause it was usually vs sonic, but with sonics buffs it jus didnt seem to balance out idk may have just been me)

-pikachu is bad, alot of things were way harder to do. and killing was an issue, throws led to nothing unless they blantly didnt do anything.

-ganon and falcon are really fun and buffs fit nicely

-hyrule is still really big and and some characters can sorta camp that lil fallthrough platform on the right(i timed two matches like this, but it might be because there not used to it)

-lower blastzone on hyrule and spear pillar are BAD, my friend died from tether recovering far out with ivy (he ended up swinging to the blastzone)

there are somethings that work and somethings are just really really off, we didnt test in water stages though

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
PT is ridiculously buffed in this game and is obviously the best character. By far.
lol
That is all.

hankydysplasia

Smash Cadet
More impressions...

Falco's B-Throw.
From lots of the videos that I've watched (SK92 and others), people often use the this after a pivot grab or whenever they have their back to the edge. I think this move is a great positioning move. I didn't realize how much I relied on throwing people behind me until I tried him in BBrawl. After running around for a while with computer players and following it up with quick aerials, it seems that overall, this move removes a positioning advantage. I know I'd need to play with humans to see how well it puts Falco on the offensive.
Basically, can you make it possible so that Falco's U-Throw puts the opponent in the same position as the new B-Throw, and return the B-Throw to how it was?

Link's Arrow.
I was, again, playing random computers and they drew Ice Climbers. I found that Link's new arrow did an exceptional job of hitting the trailing climber and would often gimp their recovery. I don't really play either, so I'm not sure if that'll become a big part of the matchup, but it seems like Link could throw crap to keep away from a Chain Grab pretty easily. The new arrow might throw this matchup out of whack. Just a thought.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Well, not a main, but an involved Ganon player who's well-regarded in the community, the changes overall were positive. Really, the Game-changer was that we can tech-chase EVERYTHING. I'm gonna miss aerial wiz-kick kills off the top, but overall, our options got a lot stronger and most of the community seems to like the new Ganondorf.

Also, Grounding with the initial hitbox of aerial wizkick is amazing.
I'm glad you guys are pleased with it. Ganon got a lot of attention during testing, and we are pleased with the results. I hope all characters turn out as good as Ganon.

Granted, but that still doesn't justify ruining Sheik. If Zelda is too weak on her own, then fix Zelda; Sheik needn't be made non-viable as part of the process. Forcing players into using Zelda/Sheik by destroying Sheik is a bad idea, and I hope it will be reconsidered.
Don't misunderstood our intentions. Zelda and Sheik are both sub-par characters is normal brawl with some novel strengths, but not enough to seal the deal. (Especially Zelda) Personally, this is how I would like to see it (speaking for myself and not the project): Zelda or Sheik by themselves should be *barely* below average characters, with more bad matchups than good ones. Meanwhile, Zelda and Sheik combined and used effectively should be *marginally* better than other characters. I feel the same about PT, but more extreme.

We're aren't on a mission to screw over any characters or players, or change the way they play; not changing general playstyles is the entire goal of the project. We were merely stating the direct we want to move with Zelda and Sheik in the future: making sure they are a compatible team.

Honestly for the little bit I used sheik I understand how losing the ftilt lock is a pretty huge loss, but that's kind of the point of this code set. In the end people are going to need to think of other things sheik may gain in exchange. Like falco gains something out of losing his chain grab. Maybe a more viable killshot, I dunno.

And yes, zelda needs to be much much better.
Right, this preview is an opportunity to see how sheik fits into this scary new world without her trusty f-tilt lock. From there we can figure out what to do next with Sheik, as well as Zelda.

Not speaking for the whole community here, I just kind of find this useless.

Me personally did not find the fatal flaw in Brawl to be it's unbalance-ness, just the overall physics of it. I frown upon "playing god" with the game and and using hacks to change it unless it's for a good purpose. Brawl +, aimed at making Brawl what it should have been, and in the process made it somewhat more balanced. Why go through all this just to keep the same game just to make your favorite character tourney viable And I especially hate the method of nerfing the good characters and buffing bad characters to achieve this balance.
Would you rather us buff the good characters and nerf the bad ones?

I also could imagine taking MK as avarage and giving all characters that many buffs until they are near as good as MK. This could be pretty acurate, but then Characters would still keep their CGs and stuff and that's what destroys some other character.

Have much do you want to buff DK if he still gets Infinited by DDD ? Taking of DDDs infinit is much easier and he has now funny tech-chase game with two throws.

Edit: I really like the new DDD, the throws feel very good somehow :)
The issue with buffing everyone "to MK level" is that matchup polarization would still be a very big problem; with advantages and disadvantages that extreme, it is unavoidable. We could make characters all have the same number of good and bad matchups, but many of those matchups might be 80:20 or 90:10. That's not balance, that's rock-paper-scissors.

Agreed, and I'm not arguing that F-Tilt lock didn't need to go. (I main Fox, after all; I'm well aware of the detrimental effect it has on balance.) However, I get the impression that the overall design goal here is "nerf Sheik, and make up for it by forcing people to use Zelda."

I am perfectly happy with the Tilt lock being gone and giving Sheik some buffs that allow her to be balanced and competitive while emphasizing her unique playstyle; however, I do not agree with making "some buffs" translate into "make Zelda better and require that Sheik players use her in order to win."
Again, don't misunderstand out intent. We aren't out to ruin Sheik, and we aren't out to ruin Zelda. There are independent yet interlocked characters that will require careful attention, more than most. It is vital that we have good matchup data for both, as well as matchup data for combined usage, to have a shot at proper balance.

Most players are feeling that it is very natural for him, since it is a very constrained type of mobility.

Also, I think you drastically understate the depth of Brawl's edgeguarding game. With recoveries "too good", that means the edgeguarding player is free to jump out and get into a full aerial fight off stage. Watch high level Brawl videos or go to a tourney and most matchups will show significant combat off-stage. It's the best part of Brawl imo.

Double edit: If Ike has a recovery like that now, but Link still has the worst in the game, but is still supposed to be as good as the rest of the characters I expect those arrows to be pretty darned good xD
Believe me, they are seriously good. Better yet, believe Legan.

I used to say that link's problem was 2 fold, and in a way related. He hit way too weak for someone who recovered like a heavyweight. I still think link needs a better recovery, but he's honestly a powerhouse right now and that's a pretty decent exchange. If he has to worry about dying at like 90, at least he can give someone a reasonable fear of the same.
That's the idea! To be honest, most attempts to buffs Link's recovery were awkward and did not actualyl help Link all that much or all that naturally. There wasn't an elegant switch we could throw like Ike, to have an existing move help him.

However, again, Ike was a special case; weakness was secondary to the mobility issue that was polarizing his matchups. Link's recovery is, for the most part, equally bad against everyone. (like Olimar for example) Big weaknesses are okay, as long as it doesn't screw up matchups; then it's just a question of having the strengths to make up for that weakness.

Hey AA or Thinkaman or whoever your coder is, could you pls make me an own Snake (Yeah it should be a balanced snake, but as well a "new" Snake so that Snake-Mains could have interest in playing BBrawl instead of vBrawl) ???
I understand where you are coming from; everyone wants new toys! However, there are two important points.

First, even if I go to the trouble of making custom versions for different people instead of investigating more critical issues, it would become a mess to have all these different versions floating around. People would be sending them back and forth to play each other, and there's be lots of de-syncs and confusion; the whole thing would be a mess.

Second, the point of this preview is to get solid matchup data for the metagame these changes create. I know the slightly nerfed Snake might seem "boring" when you've got guys like Link, Ganon, and Ike with interesting changes, but understand that fighting AGAINST these new changes is just as interesting as using them and discovering how Snake is affected by these changes is just as important.

Only by understanding how Snake is affected by the new meta game can we truly decide where to go with Snake next. If we are going to change and improve Snake, it is critical that we have the information to do it right. I hope we can count on you to assist us in this.

No fix on the fact ROB literally cannot kill people? Well, okay...
ROB has a well understood weakness, everyone is on the same page here. However, throwing a random fix on isn't the best way to do things.

ROB, like Snake, has a place in the new metagame that we need to locate. What matchups are now his worst? How does he do against the newly nerfed characters? How well does he perform on stages that are newly viable? How does he fight on those stages?

Different answers will call for different actions. Only accurate data will allow accurate results.

Sonic IS that bad. People telling themselves otherwise wont change a thing. everyone who mains him knows it.
Still waiting on a repsonse from AA or thinkaman on my suggestion...
swap the buff from dair and uair so they do +1 and +2. and add the damage over both hits. only increasing the 2nd hit isnt that useful. Not gonna state all my reasons/arguments again for 4th time >_<[/QUOTE]

I've replied to you twice, and will no do so a fourth time after you ignore this one too. The community recognizes Sonic as a mid-tier. This project is not going to add 4% damage to one of Sonic's best moves, that would make it KO absurdly early. Dair was buffed because we *know* it's a bad move and deserves some extra damage.

Since it seems like there wasn't that much change to the balance, if you ever feel like Metaknight is still too good, I would recommend the speed mod (despite what I said earlier) to make his d-smash have more cool down lag. d-smash against shield into another d-smash against shield is so dumb. In return, you could give some oomph back into the strength of d-smash. Another possibly to look into is changing weight values of certain characters.
Speed changes are only used in emergencies, when there is an underlying problem that no amount of damage/knockback could fix. Weight changes, even if possible, would have extremely widespread fundamental changes that would not be in the interest of this project.

Thansk for your response though, I hope you continue to enjoy it and offer feedback!

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Finished playing a bunch of matches. Sorry I didn't save any of the replays (I should of, but maybe next time).

I'm kind of on the fence regarding Ganon's Wizkick. When I can actually land the kick close enough to ground my opponent, it's great. A lot of time though I would end up just out of range, resulting in my opponent being knocked away slightly, but still being capable of getting up and punishing me before I recover. It also made me miss being able to launch my opponent high up as a reward for landing the move.

Basically, aerial Wizkick only seems to be rewarding when you execute it right in their face or just happen to be in the right position to spike them to death (I don't consider the suicide spike AS rewarding). If you miss, you get punished naturally. But now if I land the move but don't ground them, I'm left open while my foe recovers sooner due to being thrown to the ground before me. I think it would be a good idea to speed up Ganon's recovery from that move by at least 1 or 2 frames. I know those frames will make him more deadly provided he lands the move, but rather that than being punished for landing a move.

I enjoy Yoshi's changes so far. Was able to ground my opponent a few times, and it does work pretty well as a pressure move. Forgot to try out the egg roll as an air brake. Damage building with pummels and other moves seemed to definitely aid me well enough. I'll definitely be playing him more.

Wasn't digging Wario's nerfs and felt a bit lacking in power. Then again it's likely 'cause I use UAir and F-Smash a lot. I likely just need more practice.

Played a bit with Peach. Didn't really get much data from her. The F-Smash is stronger, but only hit with it a couple of times. (BTW is there any reason the tennis racket wasn't buffed even a little?)

About Wolf, how does buffing his forward tilt help him work around his recovery weakness? Need to land more Fire Wolfs. I'm still kind of on the fence on Wolf's minor changes.

Samus played pretty well for how ever long I used her. Don't have too much else to say.

About Mario, why wasn't his FLUDD boosted like Squirtle's? Not even a minor increase to make it a bit better?

Speaking of Squirtle, you can definitely see the difference with Water Gun. The extra oomph really helps bolster your control over the match as it's much easier to shove the opponent around and put pressure on their approach options.

Ivysaur's changes are hard to grasp. They're definitely there. They just meld into him so well. Bullet Seed's initial hit didn't throw the opponent out of trajectory as planned. I did more damage and knockback with the intended moves. Need more time to use him against more characters, but it seems good so far.

Ike being able to recover much easier really does help his game, so that's good. My opponent and I though both agree though that Ike's F-Throw needs adjustment.. He is still well capable of performing an F-throw infinite on Corneria. I know it's only one place, but it's still quite annoying and impossible to escape as long as the opponent doesn't mess it up. I suggested its angle needed to be changed. My opponent suggested it needs to be stronger. You figure that one out.

Played a little bit of Sonic. I did manage to spring spike my foe which was nice. Didn't really get a feel for his other changes though, so I'll try playing him a bit more.

Now as for the stage changes, most of them are nice and some okay. I myself am 50/50 with the water. It got my opponent at times, and it got me at times, sometimes a bit too quickly. Definitely seek a more favorable solution. Won't say it's a bad thing though. Also for some reason I think Dreamland ran at normal speed while playing. I remember looking at it during a training mode session and seeing it move slower. Didn't though while online.

AAANND that's about it. I played other characters to, but I don't really have an opinion on them just yet.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I support what this project stands for, but I'm not convinced it actually did what it set out to do. There seem to be a large number of fundamental changes to the game's physics going on. Chaingrabs, locks to force standups, and other such things are very much a part of Brawl's gameplay and I'm reluctant to accept something as being a simple rebalancing of the game if it tries to replace fundamental issues like that.

Also, DDD's throws look absolutely ridiculous and hacky, and it sounds like Pika's are similar (I haven't played it yet). I'd much rather have a chaingrab in the game than an absurd up throw.

Anyway, thanks for all the effort.
Thanks for your reply!

We had no choice but to address such issues because they are very polarizing elements; they automatically make a significant number of matchups significantly worse than others. They also compound stage bias, to the point of singlehandedly making some stages unviable for competitive play.

I am as sorry as everyone else that DDD and Pika's u-throw is altered by changes to the d-throw hitbox. We did the best we could to make a change that took this into consideration. As you play with it though, it does start to feel somewhat natural; the main issue is how jarringly different it is the first time you see it.

just came from a smashfest where we played this for like an hour or two

comments:
-Sonic is really fawkin good, his buffs fit his character really nicely it seemed(the sonic main throughly enjoyed him)

-D3's upthrow tech chase is amazing, upthrow on ledge to inhale is boderline broken cause its guranteed

-bowsers buff was decent, but it showed where grab relase stuff would have helped(or so im told)

-MK is ok, it jus takes a lil longer to get used to the idea of not killing =/
(cant say much cause it was usually vs sonic, but with sonics buffs it jus didnt seem to balance out idk may have just been me)

-pikachu is bad, alot of things were way harder to do. and killing was an issue, throws led to nothing unless they blantly didnt do anything.

-ganon and falcon are really fun and buffs fit nicely

-hyrule is still really big and and some characters can sorta camp that lil fallthrough platform on the right(i timed two matches like this, but it might be because there not used to it)

-lower blastzone on hyrule and spear pillar are BAD, my friend died from tether recovering far out with ivy (he ended up swinging to the blastzone)

there are somethings that work and somethings are just really really off, we didnt test in water stages though
Thanks a ton for your feedback man, this is really valuable stuff.

I just personally tested DDD's inhale, and it's not guaranteed if the enemy is DIing the throw out. This is what they should be doing normally, to recover as high as possible. Still, it is not a good idea to be rolling to the edge or recovering into a grab against DDD now!

More impressions...

Falco's B-Throw.
From lots of the videos that I've watched (SK92 and others), people often use the this after a pivot grab or whenever they have their back to the edge. I think this move is a great positioning move. I didn't realize how much I relied on throwing people behind me until I tried him in BBrawl. After running around for a while with computer players and following it up with quick aerials, it seems that overall, this move removes a positioning advantage. I know I'd need to play with humans to see how well it puts Falco on the offensive.
Basically, can you make it possible so that Falco's U-Throw puts the opponent in the same position as the new B-Throw, and return the B-Throw to how it was?

Link's Arrow.
I was, again, playing random computers and they drew Ice Climbers. I found that Link's new arrow did an exceptional job of hitting the trailing climber and would often gimp their recovery. I don't really play either, so I'm not sure if that'll become a big part of the matchup, but it seems like Link could throw crap to keep away from a Chain Grab pretty easily. The new arrow might throw this matchup out of whack. Just a thought.
The arrow is really good against Nana, I think Ampharos was the first to discover that during testing. We are keeping a close eye on ICs matchups, especially since they still have the infinites; thanks.

As far as Falco goes, it's tricky. We can modify those 3 throws because the lasers for them count as a projectile, with their own modifiable hitbox, instead of normal throws. However, since all three throws use the same lasers (and same hitbox), we have to balance the changes we make between all three throws...

B-throws change does definitely offer less of an overall position advantage and more immediately followup potential, with a little bonus damage on the side. Thanks for giving him a whirl, and I hope you'll be able to delve into how this impacts his matchups too.

Browny

Smash Hater
omg i cant believe you honestly thought i meant +4 to uair

i meant +2. you can remove the +damage to dtilt and dair completely and make uair only do +2 total and thats a far better option than what it is currently.

and which Sonic MAINS did you actually discuss his changes with. I find it extremely hard to believe any Sonic main who has any idea what theyre doing would honestly have suggested buffing dtilt and dair. like i said before its just the same as nerfing warios utilt instead of his fsmash and uair and calling that balanced. buff to dtilt and dair is almost completely useless. you say we *know* its a bad move. so then why didnt you buff other characters bad moves? instead you buff many of their best attacks (looks at bowser as an example)

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Don't misunderstood our intentions. Zelda and Sheik are both sub-par characters is normal brawl with some novel strengths, but not enough to seal the deal. (Especially Zelda) Personally, this is how I would like to see it (speaking for myself and not the project): Zelda or Sheik by themselves should be *barely* below average characters, with more bad matchups than good ones. Meanwhile, Zelda and Sheik combined and used effectively should be *marginally* better than other characters. I feel the same about PT, but more extreme.

We're aren't on a mission to screw over any characters or players, or change the way they play; not changing general playstyles is the entire goal of the project. We were merely stating the direct we want to move with Zelda and Sheik in the future: making sure they are a compatible team.
If you wanna do that, then make it so Zelda and shiek are loaded at all time. Quick switching will facilitate them actually being used as a team rather then one being ignored.

Buff Sheik's fair, and make sure ftilt combos into it. The angle's nice, but it needs more power to supplant her weaknesses. Or Bair.

Zelda, increase the hitstun on non-sweetspotted fair and bair, that NEEDS to be safe on hit.

Improving her overall teleport speed would also go a LONG way in dealing with her polarizing match-ups (like Snake).

D-smash was a good choice to buff though.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Finished playing a bunch of matches. Sorry I didn't save any of the replays (I should of, but maybe next time).
First, thanks a ton. This is some great stuff.

I'm kind of on the fence regarding Ganon's Wizkick. When I can actually land the kick close enough to ground my opponent, it's great. A lot of time though I would end up just out of range, resulting in my opponent being knocked away slightly, but still being capable of getting up and punishing me before I recover. It also made me miss being able to launch my opponent high up as a reward for landing the move.

Basically, aerial Wizkick only seems to be rewarding when you execute it right in their face or just happen to be in the right position to spike them to death (I don't consider the suicide spike AS rewarding). If you miss, you get punished naturally. But now if I land the move but don't ground them, I'm left open while my foe recovers sooner due to being thrown to the ground before me. I think it would be a good idea to speed up Ganon's recovery from that move by at least 1 or 2 frames. I know those frames will make him more deadly provided he lands the move, but rather that than being punished for landing a move.
I'm concerned that opponents were able to hit you when the quake hitbox connected; last I tested, even DDD wasn't able to reach Ganon after it. If you were being punished for landing the move, this is something we need to look into.

Otherwise, the grounding wiz-kick buff's real attractiveness comes out when you work it into your tech-chase game; it's like dair, but good at high percents instead of low percents. Every side-b or d-tilt you land has the potential to be that much more murderous!

I enjoy Yoshi's changes so far. Was able to ground my opponent a few times, and it does work pretty well as a pressure move. Forgot to try out the egg roll as an air brake. Damage building with pummels and other moves seemed to definitely aid me well enough. I'll definitely be playing him more.
I'm glad you liked Yoshi. Honestly, that's the main problem with Yoshi; Egg Breaking is a new concept you have to consciously think about doing, which is a bad thign and soemthign this project will generally try to avoid.

Wasn't digging Wario's nerfs and felt a bit lacking in power. Then again it's likely 'cause I use UAir and F-Smash a lot. I likely just need more practice.
Interesting. At the very least, I'm glad the changes had a noticeable impact!

I'm going to use this time to randomly say that there are some "sacred cows" that will never be buffed or nerfed; Wario's Fart and Falcon Punch are good examples. Pure, iconic moves that we are not worthy of messing with!

Played a bit with Peach. Didn't really get much data from her. The F-Smash is stronger, but only hit with it a couple of times. (BTW is there any reason the tennis racket wasn't buffed even a little?)
Peach's buffs were small as you probably noticed, and the f-smash buff was intended to simply establish some parity. Again, more matchup data in this changed metagame will let us decide on a course of action with Peach.

About Wolf, how does buffing his forward tilt help him work around his recovery weakness? Need to land more Fire Wolfs. I'm still kind of on the fence on Wolf's minor changes.
Wolf too, like Peach. They are both decent but less than stellar characters that we will need to figure out what to do with. Since no one understands the full impact of the shaken up metagame, only real experience from playtests like this can determine the best course of action.

About Mario, why wasn't his FLUDD boosted like Squirtle's? Not even a minor increase to make it a bit better?
FLUDD was already better than Water Gun. If Mario is foudn to be under-par still, and FLUDD would help him out in the matchup that are causing that, it would most certainly be a good option worth considering.

Speaking of Squirtle, you can definitely see the difference with Water Gun. The extra oomph really helps bolster your control over the match as it's much easier to shove the opponent around and put pressure on their approach options.

Ivysaur's changes are hard to grasp. They're definitely there. They just meld into him so well. Bullet Seed's initial hit didn't throw the opponent out of trajectory as planned. I did more damage and knockback with the intended moves. Need more time to use him against more characters, but it seems good so far.
Hint: The bair buff is terrifying. Terrifying.

Ike being able to recover much easier really does help his game, so that's good. My opponent and I though both agree though that Ike's F-Throw needs adjustment.. He is still well capable of performing an F-throw infinite on Corneria. I know it's only one place, but it's still quite annoying and impossible to escape as long as the opponent doesn't mess it up. I suggested its angle needed to be changed. My opponent suggested it needs to be stronger. You figure that one out.
Throws can't be changed. :( Ike's corner infinites will remain in the same category as the ICs... Luckily, Ike is slow and lacks a projectile to force people to approach him in the corner, so it's not the worst thing that could happen.

Played a little bit of Sonic. I did manage to spring spike my foe which was nice. Didn't really get a feel for his other changes though, so I'll try playing him a bit more.
Sonic should just feel a little more capable in his existing style, with the Spring gimp now a stronger possibility worth going for. Testers feel that Sonic is more fun because once an opponent gets closer to off-stage, the spring gimp gives them an "objective", even if it's a hard one that is difficult to fulfill.

But seriously, thanks a ton for your feedback. Anything you have to add in the future will definitely be welcomed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom