• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Australian Smash 4 General Ruleset Discussion

dreadtech

Smash Journeyman
Im aware there is the 3ds trick that can move profiles with custom move sets, but then that can be unfair on the player that might not have the 3ds copy of the game and doesn't have access to their character customs due to them being not unlocked on the console. .
I'd like to think that if we allow all customs on in any capacity at a tournament we would have a way for EVERYONE to get the char customization they want like having a few master 3ds smash copies so we can port them over when we need. This obviously slows down the actual tournament but it's a far cry better than relying on people's wii U saves which definitely will not have all customs unlocked until way way later into our smash 4 future.

Sorry @ Shaya Shaya I edited this part in so I wouldn't double post so not sure if you agree with the following since you liked it before I edited :p, feel free to unlike
And at the end of the day, apex 2015 won't have customs, I don't like the idea of us jumping the gun trying to be the forerunners of the meta when we can't even compete with America save for a select few in Aus (just tibs....don't kid yourselves, only tibs XD), so it's actually a bad thing if we have customs, realize no one is going them then all of a sudden we find ourselves in the same situation we've always been, behind the rest of the world in meta and skill.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
you're telling me the scene has put apt amounts of effort into testing whether or not customs are competitive?
No you're not. Are you even reading my posts (or anyone else's that is your opposition) without just strawmanning us with the 'lack of respect' notion?
I'm saying that even I haven't tested them to the extent at which I feel they're definitely competitive or not. Me directly calling you a hypocrite is vastly different to the non-introductory passive aggressiveness in your posts? If it isn't emotion then whatever mental pathology leads you to this, it never progresses anything.

If you aren't going to Apex, there's a chance customs could have a future, so however a scene decides to go for now is pretty much up to them, and in general the choice (either of them) is respectable and competitive enough. The weight of apex is there, two large scenes having similar rulesets is cool and all, but two clashing ideologies tend to require sacrifices. People in NSW are either indifferent or would prefer to give more 'options' a go (it's not like items in tournaments stopped Ken from winning Melee in non-item tournaments; before you press the analogy, they're still the same games with a majority of a character's moves staying the same).

Characters like Donkey Kong and Villager really do put a damper on sensible custom move choices in my eyes, and if it comes to pass we cannot 'make it work' because of things like this (making it work emphasised) then I'll happily go back to what's mostly the same game to me anyway.

Splice

Smash Hero
you're telling me the scene has put apt amounts of effort into testing whether or not customs are competitive?
No you're not. Are you even reading my posts (or anyone else's that is your opposition) without just strawmanning us with the 'lack of respect' notion?
I'm saying that even I haven't tested them to the extent at which I feel they're definitely competitive or not. Me directly calling you a hypocrite is vastly different to the non-introductory passive aggressiveness in your posts? If it isn't emotion then whatever mental pathology leads you to this, it never progresses anything.

If you aren't going to Apex, there's a chance customs could have a future, so however a scene decides to go for now is pretty much up to them, and in general the choice (either of them) is respectable and competitive enough. The weight of apex is there, two large scenes having similar rulesets is cool and all, but two clashing ideologies tend to require sacrifices. People in NSW are either indifferent or would prefer to give more 'options' a go (it's not like items in tournaments stopped Ken from winning Melee in non-item tournaments; before you press the analogy, they're still the same games with a majority of a character's moves staying the same).

Characters like Donkey Kong and Villager really do put a damper on sensible custom move choices in my eyes, and if it comes to pass we cannot 'make it work' because of things like this (making it work emphasised) then I'll happily go back to what's mostly the same game to me anyway.
Is it strawmanning if I'm just directly telling you it's not good to insult every time you try to make a point? You patronise constantly, you should be trying to learn in this debate, not trying to win. You could start by learning what anti-customs people's arguments even are because you still don't seem to properly grasp the reason we want to follow the USA's decision.

And as far as I can tell you're calling me a hypocrite because I'm pointing out people basing arguments off assumption not helping progress the discussion?
"that's just your opinion man"
"yeah well that's just YOUR opinion too, hypocrite"
My actual stance and foundation of argument for customs is not something I've been trying to convey in the last couple of posts; I've already done that. The arguments for and against customs are pretty well established with pros and cons.

No one has put a lot of effort into testing whether customs are competitive not although in USA some people are doing work (Ampharos etc.), and that actually supports my point which exactly was that WE DONT KNOW IF THEY ARE MORE COMPETITIVE OR NOT.

I'm fine with customs being legal btw and I wouldn't mind if they were legalised, I just want a ruleset that is consistent throughout Australia + International and I want it to be decided sooner rather than later. I feel that customs-off would provide a more competitive environment but don't get me wrong I'm for the sacrifice to play with customs if it can be universally accepted, I don't see a large sway either way with what the majority are in favour of though.

DD_

Smash Journeyman
I'm fine with customs being legal btw and I wouldn't mind if they were legalised, I just want a ruleset that is consistent throughout Australia + International and I want it to be decided sooner rather than later. I feel that customs-off would provide a more competitive environment but don't get me wrong I'm for the sacrifice to play with customs if it can be universally accepted, I don't see a large sway either way with what the majority are in favour of though.
This.

Again, there doesn't seem to be any solid reasoning against using the Apex rule set for the time being. Is there anyone with a feasible argument why in the near future (I'm talking Jan monthlies onwards here because time is passing) we shouldn't just follow suit with Apex/the US? Because I feel it would be a tiny minority (if anyone at all) that would stop playing smash 4 if we were to go without customs for at least the next few months. Also looking at the upcoming majors we have Two Melbourne ones, One QLD one and nothing afaik elsewhere? Unless there is a compelling reasoning behind deviating from the US I'd guess it's safe to assume at this point (Esp. SS seeing as it's not that far away now) these Majors will be using the US standard. IF other stats chose to deviate from this it's ultimately their own undoing.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Thankfully we can lock this thread now, as Sakurai has informed us all that competitive Smash has no future, so this thread is pointless.
Thankfully? Lmao, I don't even know anymore. Just because Sakurai said that competitive smash has no future, doesn't mean that everyone else will stop playing the game competitively >_> I mean, look at Melee and how far its come.

So really, there isn't any point to locking thread and quite frankly you're comment is pointless.

Last edited:

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
I'm finding custom-enabled tournaments far more interesting.

I'd like to think that if we allow all customs on in any capacity at a tournament we would have a way for EVERYONE to get the char customization they want like having a few master 3ds smash copies so we can port them over when we need. This obviously slows down the actual tournament but it's a far cry better than relying on people's wii U saves which definitely will not have all customs unlocked until way way later into our smash 4 future.

Sorry @ Shaya Shaya I edited this part in so I wouldn't double post so not sure if you agree with the following since you liked it before I edited :p, feel free to unlike
And at the end of the day, apex 2015 won't have customs, I don't like the idea of us jumping the gun trying to be the forerunners of the meta when we can't even compete with America save for a select few in Aus (just tibs....don't kid yourselves, only tibs XD), so it's actually a bad thing if we have customs, realize no one is going them then all of a sudden we find ourselves in the same situation we've always been, behind the rest of the world in meta and skill.
It's a shame @Villyness (V) is so young. I'd love to see her come over here and wreck some American players. Highest ranking player for Smash 4 says a lot about her skill level. She's definitely going to have to learn a way to deal with Diddy though. That's the only thing holding her back. I've heard she's been learning the matchup so I'm curious if Tibs will be able to beat her again or not.

Though if customs were on she'd probably just win against Diddy for free.

Villager and DK have probably the best custom moves in the game. But it's interesting to note that it doesn't really make Villager or DK the new Diddy Kong. It gives them options to perform a lot better in certain matchups (or worse in other matchups). So I don't really see why their customs would need to be banned.

I'm pretty sure customs will end up at the next Apex if that's what the community wants. All we need to do is show the demand for them. Personally I'm over here in the States introducing my scene to custom moves and am the one uploading them all to every Wii U using the sets from the Standard Custom Move Project. Logistical stuff isn't a problem here. If anyone wants practice against a certain set all they need to do is show up and play some friendlies.

Last edited:

Jamwa

Smash Champion
Thankfully? Lmao, I don't even know anymore. Just because Sakurai said that competitive smash has no future, doesn't mean that everyone else will stop playing the game competitively >_> I mean, look at Melee and how far its come.

So really, there isn't any point to locking thread and quite frankly you're comment is pointless.
hahaha you're so busy being euphoric you didnt realise pete's comment was a joke

Gords

Smash Champion
I am all for constancy with the international scene but on a global community considered standard rule set where it's rules are chosen for the right reasons (solvable logistical issues is not a valid reason) after much testing and data collection that can back up these good reasons.

My reason for not agreeing to follow Apex rule set is because I don't see it being a standard rule set. It is just an early practical rule set that works well logistically for the Apex TOs and gets the job done. I don't see why any rule set made during the first few of months after release be considered standard and therefore don't see why we should follow a rule set just because some big shindig decided go with it. It takes several months for a standard rule set to develop.

It appears to me that there is lot of Melbourne players that want to rush into a standard and take the rule set one of the biggest tournaments of the year as it being the direction America is taking. There still isn't even consistency in America with different regions/states running with customs on/off, 2 stock/3 stock and with no where close to an agreed stage list. I still don't see a Smash for WiiU or 3DS rule set on the smashboards rule set page either and I don't expect one to show up anytime soon.
If everyone just followed one international majors rule set this early on then no testing is actually done and no data is actually collected to identify which rule combination can give us the version of competitive Smash 4 with the most depth, the most balance and be the most engaging to both play and spectate. We are just left with a lesser game under the illusion that we have the best on offer.

Last edited:

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Apex Ruleset was Updated which in itself is a decent reason not to blindly follow the US under the guise of international consistency.

Changes: KJ64 banned from singles, DSR reintroduced, team colours rule changed, 3DS, 2DS and Gamepad banned, suicide rule changed to only apply to certain moves.

Not happy with KJ64's ban, not happy with 9 stages and 2 bans, still not happy with 3 starters, happy about DSR, ambivalent about suicide rule however I think the TOs probably don't know about suicide moves on moving platforms which needs to be addressed, team colours rule is fantastic and something that I've been pushing for for awhile, not sure why 3DS is banned yet other wireless controllers are legal.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Apex Ruleset was Updated which in itself is a decent reason not to blindly follow the US under the guise of international consistency.

Changes: KJ64 banned from singles, DSR reintroduced, team colours rule changed, 3DS, 2DS and Gamepad banned, suicide rule changed to only apply to certain moves.

Not happy with KJ64's ban, not happy with 9 stages and 2 bans, still not happy with 3 starters, happy about DSR, ambivalent about suicide rule however I think the TOs probably don't know about suicide moves on moving platforms which needs to be addressed, team colours rule is fantastic and something that I've been pushing for for awhile, not sure why 3DS is banned yet other wireless controllers are legal.
So the 3DS, 2DS and Gamepad are banned huh?.... Well, time to whip out the good old Wiimote! :p

But really, whats the point of banning KJ64? I'm going to assume its something to do with the barrel and camping...
Anyway, still surprised a stage like Wuhu, Skyloft aren't in.... surely if Delfino is a CP, why can't those Skyloft be there?.... Ah well
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The colour rule is cool and seems logical, I would also like another starter in there, maaaybeee Town and City... maybe.

But considering how this is the first APEX that Smash 4 will be in, this is probably a placeholder ruleset until something more.... universal(?) can be agreed on.

Last edited:

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
OK guys, you really have been asking for it, and I'm sick and tired of the stupid arguements, the childish behaviour, and most of all, I am really sick of people not using their brains, it makes me very sad.

This post might be a bit jumbled up, but I have pretty much just came in to use your own words against you to prove how silly you are being, and how you guys really need to step up your game.
There will be a lot of quoting here, and some things I have addressed inside the quote using red text to show my counter points.

To the best of my knowledge, most vocal top players agree that customs are not beneficial to competitive play (m2k, zero, nakat), which is a sentiment expressed by most Melbourne players also.
This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about and why attila has lost all credibility here.
To back up his arguement, he is using "evidence" that he make up. Using stupid false evidence here to support your arguement hurts everyone involved and really goes a long way to showing that you cant hold up a proper debate and like to jump to conlcusions. If anyone is wondering what this false evidence is, its claiming that top players are anti customs, and that since American has the same opinion as those players, that they are right.
Not only is that a little silly, but the false evidence here is that claim.
M2k Does not agree with you at all.
Heres my evidence, I ****ing asked him myself and he said "No. I have no stance on customs. Imo explore it before banning" (this also contradicts shaya, who is really on my side I guess, who said that m2k is pro customs, tsk tsk tsk shaya you should know better)

Wow, your evidence just got turned into my evidence.
My thoughts on customs is that theorycrafting only goes so far, and committing to banning them straight away is dumb.
Its a new thing, new things require testing and experimenting and thus customs should be legal, at least in the short term, so that we can actually gather data, and real world experience before we decide if we should banish them away or not. (IE, the very opposite of jumping to conclusions.)

If Apex has indeed only banned most customs out of logistical fears then it should be noted that the world is actually beginning to prefer customs. I've already mentioned the poll and the 88% of peeps who want customs legal; and with the system provided by Ampharos/Thinkaman, TO's have begun to successfully run customs legal, large-scale tournaments. What this means is that conforming to an Apex ruleset that is itself likely to change is... debatable, and says to me more that some people just don't want customs and 'oh look the rest of the world isn't doing it (right now) so we shouldn't either' becomes a convenient excuse.

Does having this difference that separates us from the rest of the world for a little bit really matter? I feel like we're all freaking out about that out of habit instead of thinking it through. Customs are a big subject throughout the rest of the world's competitive scene right now - no-one should blame us for using them when groups of people are and others aren't. I re-iterate that if Apex is doing this out of logistics, then we actually have no real precedent to run off. Logistics clearly hasn't been an issue with us - it hasn't been so far and the way things are looking for the next tournament up here, they won't be an issue this time either. I understand maybe it seems a bit radical but my advice would be instead of following a precedent that hasn't been set, why don't we help establish one?

this was a very valid post that made a good point that people just ignored, well done people.

DD, your next

Can you provide a good argument as to why we shouldn't follow the lead of the bigger scenes in the world? Or more, why you (or others) care so much about Australia deviating from Apex/The US? Like this rule set will allow the best players to win and that's the end goal right? We can end this whole mess of a thread and just get on with playing the game if we "open mindedly" accept that we have a vastly smaller community than a lot of other countries/continents and hence a greater skill gap between the better and worse players. No matter the rule set or how Janky it is i know that over time if i don't improve Attila will still beat me consistently.

We could just scoop on this argument and let the US figure it all out while we play the game. Those overseas threads are always open for foreign input i'm sure but unless there is a solid reason why we shouldn't be following the rest of the world your pokes at Attila aren't achieving anything.

we still need rules "while we play the game." I wasn't so much poking Attila as trying to point out how ridiculous and not at all thought out the thinks he was saying (if you'd like evidence of this, just go back a few pages he even got called out on it by people and just ignored them), and thus how crazy you'd have to be to listen to him. If he wants to pick up his game, I'm all for it.

ok, I accept that our community is small, I dont nessacarily agree with you that that correlates to having a greater skill gap, but I'm also wondering what these points have to do with customs and how accepting these points will end this arguement?
They have nothing to do with customs and you are just wasting our time.
Melbourne, please learn how to argue, debate, and make informed/educated opinions, and please forget how to make baseless conjecture and jump to conclusions. Its really getting rediculous, dekar is the only person from melbourne in this thread so far that hasnt done that, whats going on?

Again, there doesn't seem to be any solid reasoning against using the Apex rule set for the time being. (good thing I just provided solid reasoning against it, oh and also that one time luco pointed out that most people prefer customs according to the poll?) Is there anyone with a feasible argument why in the near future (yes, me) IF other stats chose to deviate from this it's ultimately their own undoing. (since you are talking about feasable arugments, let me again point out that this isn't one of them. you just jumped so far past logic and onto an early and not well reasoned/educated opinion that I am actually kind of dumbfounded)

Next comes splice.

let me just say that this is quite valid against you splice, however shaya was the first person to start trying to pin the 'you are using a strawman arguement' on the other side so unfortunately I have to present him with the "that guy" award. well done shaya, you are making us all look bad.

What, you're not ok with arguments based around assumptions supported only by stretches of logic?

Sherluco Holmes 8) over here seems to be.
wow, getting upset about people insulting you and not being mature, right after you do it to Luco? Gee, I wonder why Shaya called you a hypocrite?

why would I really want to post here if the opposition's primary argument strategy is slander?

-How have I even been hypocritical

-my argument about customs has nothing to do with you guys being disrespectful, I'm just saying that you are.
-You're acting elite

(remember that luco guy, and that one time you were all of these things to him?)

You haven't understood the reason we think it's important to follow international ruleset (it's not for the SAME reasons as Apex, it's because we want to be playing the same game as overseas.(we understand this just fine thank you very much) If Apex claimed their Smash 4 rule set is logistics and would change in the future, then we wouldn't be very swayed i dont think but they haven't actually done that, instead it's been assumed, nice argument not shallow at all) (right back at you, you use the arguement that you want to play the same game as overseas (whilst also making the assumption that APEX represents the entirety of overseas, dont even get me started on that) yet you also claim that if APEX/America/whatever changed to having customs legal, that you wouldnt follow them. Well done, you have just let me use your own words to prove that your own reasoning is extremely shallow, this is why people are making fun of you, not because they are elitist *****)

And most of your posts begin with or are entirely insults (show me one post that is entirely insults thats posted by someone other then me)

You have made me increasingly able to count on you being a snarky elitist refusing to respect the opinions of the opposition. huehue it's not as effective coz hypocrite is such a strong word to call someone in an argument right but being a **** is ok? (again, you have just resorted to insults and being disrespectful, whilst maintaining that you arent at all and it is we who are being disrespectful, are you even reading your own posts? you have made me increasingly able to quote out your posts in a room of people and have them laugh at you- yes this is something that has happened quite a few times in the last week thanks to your contributions to this thread)

The VIC and NSW scenes have gone through rulesets influenced by the players though. It appears that not just Attila (wow, not JUST Attila??!) but what appears to be most of our player base doesn't really care for customs in VIC. And we've appeared to make no progress in getting VIC and NSW to unite their opinions on customs. The only thing that's really important to me on principal is that VIC and NSW share rulesets.

Suggesting that other peoples decisions are just a "convenient excuse" is not getting the discussion anywhere and has been pretty common in this thread. (once actually) It's a pretty **** thing to do because it discredits other people's opinion and progress on the topic without you actually providing any logic (we have provided plenty of logic here so far). It's no lie that the Apex ruleset is agreeable to many VIC players (but not ideal; a lot of us would prefer more conservative stages as well) but we said from pretty early on we would be influenced by the ruleset. The reasons for this are legitimate, with the intention of assisting Aussie players to be ready to compete OoS (why would using a ruleset from another country help us to compete OoS, do you mean that in the sense that you simply want a unified ruleset and are claiming that apex should be that ruleset, if so, say what you mean, you poorly wording yourself (if that is indeed what you meant) is not helping anybody- furthermore that idea in itself doesnt automtically become legitimate in terms of using it to justify apex, as you could make a counter arguement that we should copy japans ruleset for consistency, or even better WE COULD MAKE OUR OWN which would be fine since last time I checked, America isnt OoS.). If you want to influence the discussion in favor of customs, than you should refrain from putting words into the mouths of others and implying conspiracy.(this is just silly, with this sentence you are doing the very thing you are upset at him for doing)
If you hold a heavy respect for people than why do you assume that their decisions are based on laziness?
How are people supposed to give a damn about what you think when at the start of your post you ignore their reasoning about feeling that customs are worse for competitive play, aren't proven to be more balanced, following America can be beneficial to prolonging competitive play and Apex is considered a pinnacle Smash event, by dismissing it as "convenient excuse". (perhaps its because "feeling" something does not equal hard evidence for something, yet melbourne seems to act as though it does, and they seem very shocked that we arent just accepting their opinion over our own and changing our minds.)

Anyway are you looking for closure (no), no-ones blaming you/NSW for using customs. If it's working well for you that's cool,(thanks man) and VIC is doing nice without them (cool). I think a lot of players would appreciate if the OTHER scene would conform to their ruleset, but we're still not in agreement so looking to the decisions of American majors can be helpful to make decisions for us (you will probably be upset if I say that the reason you want to use American as the 'tiebreaker' is because it lets your side 'win', but I'm going to go ahead and say it anyway.). If it's true that customs are going to become the norm or it appears to be going that way, than that is a concern we should consider too, and you can expect us to cross that bridge when we get to it (we already are at that bridge, thats what this whole argument is about, have you been paying attention?)
You patronise constantly (so do you), you should be trying to learn in this debate, not trying to win. (take your own advice) You could start by learning what anti-customs people's arguments even are because you still don't seem to properly grasp the reason we want to follow the USA's decision.(you dont seem to be able to grasp that either as I showed above)

and that actually supports my point which exactly was that WE DONT KNOW IF THEY ARE MORE COMPETITIVE OR NOT.(exactly, now you are getting somewhere buddy. now all you have to do is follow the chain of logic here which leads to this: because we dont know if they are more competitive or not, we should have them legal for now in order to test/experiment/trial/gather data in order to ascertain whether we should ban them or not. you following me yet?)

I'm fine with customs being legal btw and I wouldn't mind if they were legalised, I just want a ruleset that is consistent throughout Australia + International and I want it to be decided sooner rather than later. (well sooner rather then later is being impatient and will impede with correct decision making. if you want a ruleset that is consistent, stop making stupid apex arguements and start testing things out and TRIALING stuff.)

Basically I have just shown that you guys are very incompetent at making your arguments (sorry, this isnt an insult, this is the reality of the situation, just look at all the stuff I had to counter correct and point out above, you actually should be ashamed of yourselves, this is really how you conduct this stuff? its not going to help our scene at all, pick up your ****ing game) are constantly being disrespectful and insulting whilst maintaining that you are not and that other peoples opinions should be invalidated because those people are the ones being disrespectful, and really are not listening.

I think I made my actual point/opinions on customs quite clear, but if I haven't feel free to ask me some more and I will clarify.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
M2k Does not agree with you at all.
Heres my evidence, I ****ing asked him myself and he said "No. I have no stance on customs. Imo explore it before banning" (this also contradicts shaya, who is really on my side I guess, who said that m2k is pro customs, tsk tsk tsk shaya you should know better)
I can only quote/refer to M2K and I being on his stream talking about customs and him being boisterous about them being at least tried out/worthwhile to have if they can improve the game.
I guess that steps away from pro-customs in the sense of whether you think they should be legal or they shouldn't be legal, but if we're being literal than I'm not even pro-customs.

It could probably be found on M2K's past broadcasts, we were playing with Palutena together for a while ;)

Last edited:

DD_

Smash Journeyman
OK, I accept that our community is small, I don't necessarily agree with you that that correlates to having a greater skill gap, but I'm also wondering what these points have to do with customs and how accepting these points will end this argument?
They have nothing to do with customs and you are just wasting our time.
After re reading your points I understand that I didn't make the point i was trying to make overly clear. The point I was trying to make was that the end goal for some of our players (People who want to take smash 4 seriously in Australia) Want to be able to compete overseas with the best players in the world. As Apex is regarded as one of the most prestige smash tournaments it makes sense to use the rule set they will be running.

On the contrary, if we deviate from this and come up with out own rule set we would not see any other region in the world use our set as our sample size is small and we do not appear to have much if any influence at all on the scene in other countries. I'm not for or against customs I'd just like to play the game with a rule set that i can relate to when i watch and try to learn from overseas players.

I think a lot of people are basing this rule set discussion around yes or no to customs instead of yes or no to being in sync with our foreign counterparts and this is where the real time wasting is. Like I mentioned before we are all free to contribute to discussions in the smash 4 pages in regards to characters, customs and rule sets (I see Shaya and Luco posting things all the time on those boards and joining in the conversations) But I disagree that we should use our big Australian Tournaments as a testing ground for experimental rule sets. Especially when the rest of the international community will not see it as substantial enough evidence to warrant a change to their own rule sets.

Splice

Smash Hero
@ luke_atyeo luke_atyeo I honestly expected you to rip into people harder than that, but mostly accurate all the same.

I hope you can see that Shaya and Luco's posts are touting assumptions as fact regarding the reasoning behind Apex's ruleset.
Also I think some VIC players have done decent trialing on different rulesets. We have done customs and non-customs tournament to back our opinions, and with the time people have we have done a decent job of testing both sides of the customs debate.

Apart from that nice p0st d00d

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
My assumption that Nintendo may release a save file with customs unlocked?
My "assumption" that Apex's main reason for not having customs legal is because of logistics? It's the easiest argument to win, why wouldn't it be there main argument? Names like D1 (very involved with the apex ruleset) are happy to confirm that reason to me when asked. Otherwise their stance of going with the most 'conservative' choice due to it being an international event with many regions attending is obvious.

Or what?

Luke, I'm glad you could laugh.

Splice

Smash Hero
If you don't have a source and hadn't gotten confirmation when you first made that claim, how can I perceive it as anything but an assumption?

Gords

Smash Champion
The point I was trying to make was that the end goal for some of our players (People who want to take smash 4 seriously in Australia) Want to be able to compete overseas with the best players in the world. As Apex is regarded as one of the most prestige smash tournaments it makes sense to use the rule set they will be running.
are these serious players going to Apex? It only makes sense to follow this ruleset if you are actually attending Apex, and only up until Apex at that. The Apex ruleset isnt even considered standard, there is no standard and these rules will likely change in the future (heck they have already changed). Learning a ruleset that is likely to change doesnt make sense at all. If I were a serious player right now, this early on in the games life i would learn a characters limits both with and without customs and that characters default and custom MUs. Until a Standard ruleset is reached and posted on Smashboards ruleset page I see no point in learning something specific. I think this will likely happen around july btw, I place no value on the Apex ruleset because it is so early and logistics are terrible however by MLG/EVO the scene should have plenty of time to refine a ruleset

On the contrary, if we deviate from this and come up with out own rule set we would not see any other region in the world use our set as our sample size is small and we do not appear to have much if any influence at all on the scene in other countries. I'm not for or against customs I'd just like to play the game with a rule set that i can relate to when i watch and try to learn from overseas players.
videos exist of both, @ Venks Venks has already posted a 3 stock customs example for you. if you want video diversity pushing people into following a particular ruleset will not give you that. If you want to watch videos with a ruleset you can relate to then video diversity will give you that and everybody can get that not just you.

I think a lot of people are basing this rule set discussion around yes or no to customs instead of yes or no to being in sync with our foreign counterparts and this is where the real time wasting is.
By 'in sync with foreign counterparts' you mean 'in sync with Apex'. our 'foreign counterparts' are not even in sync with themselves. Also, 'yes or no to customs' and 'yes or no to being in sync' is basically the same argument since this is the biggest feature of the ruleset that is in contention. it seems most people are pro for in sync with america however the reasons for taking that stand now revolve around customs and the reasons Apex has chosen there rules and whether or not it is to become the standard

@ luke_atyeo luke_atyeo I hope you can see that Shaya and Luco's posts are touting assumptions as fact regarding the reasoning behind Apex's ruleset.
Also I think some VIC players have done decent trialing on different rulesets. We have done customs and non-customs tournament to back our opinions, and with the time people have we have done a decent job of testing both sides of the customs debate.
Apex hasnt made an official statement regarding their decision making, so wouldnt that also make yours and @ Attila_ Attila_ 's posts touting assumptions regarding the reasoning behind Apex's ruleset. and as far as i can tell we do not consider these opinions as fact but logical follow throughs from these assumptions. these assumptions are also backed by statements that give reasons to this assumptions.
And a few customs tourneys on 3DS in one part of the world is no where near enough testing to be taken seriously, and with this game being fairly well balanced (both with and without customs) 3 months is not enough time to allow for the meta to develop and solve MUs within the customs realm, imo. I also think that there has been no where near enough customs play, both here and overseas, to make a call on their competitive legitimacy and that one significant reason for the lack of play is the logistics of customs on WiiU. ( which is one reason why i think 3 months is not enough time)

Last edited:

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
I said that I have not heard any confirmation regarding the rationale for the customs ban at apex. Please don't put words in my mouth.

Otherwise, if we have to test everything thoroughly before we ban it, perhaps we should bring back equipment, items, and palutena's temple for a year long trial?

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
sigh...

IOtherwise, if we have to test everything thoroughly before we ban it, perhaps we should bring back equipment, items, and palutena's temple for a year long trial?

please continue to destroy your already train wrecked credibility in this thread.
Have a good hard think about what you just said.

It could probably be found on M2K's past broadcasts, we were playing with Palutena together for a while ;)

listen, I made that post last night, I asked m2k what his opinion was whilst I was making that post, and his opinion was "No. I have no stance on customs. Imo explore it before banning" - straight from his own mouth, how can you argue against that? He has no official stance, but he does mention he's keen to try them (Explore) which is also what we should all be doing.

After re reading your points I understand that I didn't make the point i was trying to make overly clear. The point I was trying to make was that the end goal for some of our players (People who want to take smash 4 seriously in Australia) Want to be able to compete overseas with the best players in the world. (you may or may not have made that point clear, but I understood you were trying to make that point, and I adressed it, did you not read my post?)
On the contrary, if we deviate from this and come up with out own rule set we would not see any other region in the world use our set as our sample size is small and we do not appear to have much if any influence at all on the scene in other countries. (how is this a problem and how is this relevant to our current discussion? Just because People dont follow Australia's rule set doesn't mean we wont have some unity in rulesets) I'm not for or against customs I'd just like to play the game with a rule set that i can relate to when i watch and try to learn from overseas players. (apex does not equal overseas players as a whole, there will be plenty of good overseas players to watch who use customs, **** someone even linked us to such in this thread, again I reiterate, do you read what is posted to you? you keep showing me that you dont)

I think a lot of people are basing this rule set discussion around yes or no to customs instead of yes or no to being in sync with our foreign counterparts and this is where the real time wasting is. (I already addressed this point aswell) Like I mentioned before we are all free to contribute to discussions in the smash 4 pages in regards to characters, customs and rule sets (I see Shaya and Luco posting things all the time on those boards and joining in the conversations) But I disagree that we should use our big Australian Tournaments as a testing ground for experimental rule sets.(sure, but those are a while away, there are plenty of tournaments to try stuff out at until then; nobody has suggested we test stuff at majors, so you arent disagreeing with anyone because nobody has had that opinion yet) Especially when the rest of the international community will not see it as substantial enough evidence to warrant a change to their own rule sets.
you just dont get it do you?

@ luke_atyeo luke_atyeo I honestly expected you to rip into people harder than that, but mostly accurate all the same. ( I can rip into you harder if you want, your posts here certainly warrant it)

I hope you can see that Shaya and Luco's posts are touting assumptions as fact regarding the reasoning behind Apex's ruleset. (maybe they were, but you are focusing on one piece of the puzzle to the exclusion of the whole puzzle. They were fully aware of, which was reflected in the way they posted, that they may have been wrong but were at least using some logic and educated guesses, but even if they were wrong about that it doesnt change the overall arguement. Also apparently shaya has talked to some dude and that is the reason. I hope you can see why I constantly accuse you or not being able to read, almost everything you say has already been countered or covered)
Also I think some VIC players have done decent trialing on different rulesets. We have done customs and non-customs tournament to back our opinions, and with the time people have we have done a decent job of testing both sides of the customs debate. (no you haven't, it hasn't been long or thorough enough to be called decent yet. Even if it had been, why would you settle for decent, why not go for a much higher quality then that.)

Apart from that nice p0st d00d

Melbourne plz

Jamwa

Smash Champion
Warning Received
quote me please i wanna be a part of the euphoria:

hey guys i have this tournament where melee is replaced with project M, me and my cat entered it was pretty big.
since im using it, i thought you could add this into one of your counter arguments against the apex ruleset to show that the biggest events aren't always supporting the correct rulesets
#occupysm4sh #whoisatilla #notallsmashers

Last edited:

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
Not that it means much, because the US is a huge place, but I know Virginia, Kentucky, and California all have scenes with custom moves allowed. Also having Town&City and Lylat as starters. And even then that fluctuates between different scenes. What I've seen expressed is basically that the Apex ruleset was thrown together fast and the game is brand new.

Last edited:

TakFR

Smash Lord
NNID
TakAE86

hey guys i have this tournament where melee is replaced with project M, me and my cat entered it was pretty big.
since im using it, i thought you could add this into one of your counter arguments against the apex ruleset to show that the biggest events aren't always supporting the correct rulesets
End the thread right here guys, it's over

This seriously sums up the entire thread perfectly 10/10

Well Played!
Well Played!

cheese619

Smash Ace

# no tall smashers
c'mon dude...

Jamwa

Smash Champion
jeeze this forum is as cold as
sorry
guys, i confirm that the
has been
%
no more
y behaviour from me.
talk to you guys later on the
net. happy
ing.
please dont
me

Uncle Pie

Smash Rookie
I would like to respond to the fact that the survey has most responses in favour of customs. This is a completely meaningless survey in that the people responding to the survey are those who care enough to do so, which in this case means people in favour of customs.

The only way to get any sort of idea of people's opinions would be a massive random sample of people (any people, not just sm4sh players), asking them if they play sm4sh, then asking which ruleset they favour. In other words, it's not possible.

Last edited:

Zediwonder

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZediWonder
3DS FC
5069-5322-3120
I would like to respond to the fact that the survey has most responses in favour of customs. This is a completely meaningless survey in that the people responding to the survey are those who care enough to do so, which in this case means people in favour of customs.
That's ****ing stupid. If we went off your logic then when the americans vote for the president it doesn't ****ing count because the guy who wins got more votes because more people cared to vote for the winner, that's literally the ****ing point. This thread has both sides arguing very aggressively for their point of view in this thread regardless.

The only way to get any sort of idea of people's opinions would be a massive random sample of people (any people, not just sm4sh players), asking them if they play sm4sh, then asking which ruleset they favour. In other words, it's not possible.
That doesn't make any sense. What's the point of getting people who don't even play to contribute? They can't even back up their choice because they don't even know what they're choosing. We could just get players at tournaments to fill in a survey after a match, they're the players who care what the rule set is, casual players will keep playing the way they want and that's fine but you can't put in the opinions of people who don't even care what the competitive rule set in as a valid opinion of the rule set we use at tournaments or we'd end up playing coin matches with items on.

Uncle Pie

Smash Rookie
That's ****ing stupid. If we went off your logic then when the americans vote for the president it doesn't ****ing count because the guy who wins got more votes because more people cared to vote for the winner, that's literally the ****ing point. This thread has both sides arguing very aggressively for their point of view in this thread regardless.

That doesn't make any sense. What's the point of getting people who don't even play to contribute? They can't even back up their choice because they don't even know what they're choosing. We could just get players at tournaments to fill in a survey after a match, they're the players who care what the rule set is, casual players will keep playing the way they want and that's fine but you can't put in the opinions of people who don't even care what the competitive rule set in as a valid opinion of the rule set we use at tournaments or we'd end up playing coin matches with items on.
Haha...wow.

First, your point about how the american president is elected is 100% correct and makes their political system really interesting (and dumb, but then again there is no perfect system). However, the more accurate analogy would be if there was already a president chosen by a very small number of self-elected people, and then everyone who found the right poll online was able to vote to keep the president or remove him/her, without the result of said vote being binding in any way. Who do you think would have the most interest in voting in this hypothetical manner?

Second, the point of asking all people is so that you don't only capture those people who feel passionately about the issue. Say for argument's sake you were magically granted the ability to ask everyone who ever looked at the poll thread for their view on the apex ruleset: You still wouldn't capture the view of every competitive player who could be affected, because they don't all look at that forum or that thread. This is all to do with getting a good, unbiased sample (ie one that is genuinely reflective of the whole affected player base). Look up random sampling.

edit: FYI I wasn't suggesting asking the opinions of those who aren't competitive - just that the sample of people would have to come from all people.

Last edited:

Lex__

Smash Journeyman
Can we close this thread please it has become a hot mess that isn't progressed anywhere and has become people throwing insults at each other.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Can we close this thread please it has become a hot mess that isn't progressed anywhere and has become people throwing insults at each other.
We want consistency between Australian scenes, the discussion in this thread is important despite being rather degenerative. People like Luke, Gords, Shaya and Splice do have valid points on either side of the discussion and I think silencing that would be bad for the community.

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
They talk about it in the Stand Custom Moveset Project. Miis now have to use 1111. And they said this was their final stance on the issue. They didn't say why, but that's what they said.

Obviously I'm no fan of this, but it is what it is. Hopefully we'll see customs in the future. It's something I'll be advocating where I can.

Last edited:
Top Bottom