• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Australian Smash 4 General Ruleset Discussion

Gords

Smash Champion
Someone correct me if I've got anything wrong...

Starters:
BF
SV
T&C
Omega Palutena's Temple
Lylat

Counterpicks:
FD/Omega - banning FD bans all Omegas
Duck Hunt
Halberd
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Kongo Jungle 64 (doubles only)
Corrected

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Since the subject is kinda there, what is the stagelist looking like is Australia right now? Kinda curious with how it compares to the US.
Queensland uses:

Starter:
BF, SV, FD

CP:
Halberd, T&C, Delfino, Lylat, Duck Hunt

I think we have two bans but I think we might have a few small changes to the stage list (might be removin Duck Hunt? I don't remember).

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
So Australia in general is very stage conservative it seems. Nothing really wrong with that, just interesting coming from the Midwestern USA where people use basically everything they can get their hands on for stages.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Though I must say, I do kinda have a dream of doing gentleman's rule in a GFs set for funsies. One day. <3

Actually there was a thread about stage lists and why PS2 could/should be legal. I should go back and look into it. I like the idea of a larger stage list, personally, but it's a very minor thing that I've never thought to discuss until now. As in, if people want more conservative stagelists then you just kinda go with the flow, I guess. =)

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
@ Luco Luco if I even come to Australia and we fight, I'd happily go to The Great Cave Offensive. For all 5 matches in a best of 5. Stream Monsters will die at the sight ;)

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
@ Luco Luco if I even come to Australia and we fight, I'd happily go to The Great Cave Offensive. For all 5 matches in a best of 5. Stream Monsters will die at the sight ;)
Oh! Stream monsters on an Aussie stream would be a dream come true! =P

We could even take it a step further though....

by playing on a custom made stage! :O :grin:

Or we could be slightly more conventional and go to Gamer. Or Pyrosphere. OR WOOLLY WORLD THAT WOULD BE SO MUCH FUN <3

I have nothing else constructive to add here. D:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
One day I will get stream monsters for Australia and your streams will be super full. I dunno if that's a blessing or a curse though :p

@ Luco Luco I remember a Brawl set that used a custom stage, we'll have to take it a step further somehow. Gentlemans pick to having items on high :p

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
One day I will get stream monsters for Australia and your streams will be super full. I dunno if that's a blessing or a curse though :p

@ Luco Luco I remember a Brawl set that used a custom stage, we'll have to take it a step further somehow. Gentlemans pick to having items on high :p
YES PLEASE <3 Make Australia popular and you'll have a continent in your debt ;)

Gentlemans pick to settling GFs by home run contest. :laugh:

Last edited:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Did anyone else notice that the stagelists didn't list starter or counterpick stages for Evo, it just said "available stages"?

I think this means you have to strike from ALL the stages which would be really interesting to say the least.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Did anyone else notice that the stagelists didn't list starter or counterpick stages for Evo, it just said "available stages"?

I think this means you have to strike from ALL the stages which would be really interesting to say the least.
Yep, it will be interesting to say the least :p

Also does anyone agree with this?

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
I don't agree with D1 whatsoever. 3 starters is bad and if you're going to run 3 starters (please don't) I prefer T&C > FD.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
We're in a ripe political climate waiting to pop and kill us all.
Getting 6 minutes is a significant improvement and curtails my worry ever so slightly about how customs will go on the big stage.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
6 minutes is great, but I can't see customs still being supported past evo. They're slowly getting more and more exposed.

What that means for the smash 4 community going forward is hard. Will the wider community lose faith in customs, or in smash 4 as a whole?

I have a strong feeling that evo will end up killing this game.

Buuuuuut I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
People on the "if pressing the button doesn't instantly shift to the victory screen it's fine" or "people using this doesn't deserve to win, it's unskillful" boats obstinately is what's going to end up killing the game.

I hate both groups so much right now, who's in the middle?
ZeRo and a total of like three other people. Our community sucks.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
They're known as the pro-customs who don't listen to anything (theorcrafters)
and the anti-customs who don't listen to anything (certain regions in full + notable top level players).

You're at least half right about them not being relevant though. It's unfortunately noise that decides things these days~

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
They're known as the pro-customs who don't listen to anything (theorcrafters)
and the anti-customs who don't listen to anything (certain regions in full + notable top level players).

You're at least half right about them not being relevant though. It's unfortunately noise that decides things these days~
It sounds you're just saying that anyone who is on one side of the debate doesn't listen to anyone.

It's always going to seem like someone doesn't listen when they don't change their stance. Rejecting an argument isn't the same as not listening to it.

To me the problem is the people who jump to conclusions immediately. Villager camps someone with balloons, 'customs are OP'. Default Diddy wins an event, 'Customs are balanced'.

Last edited:

Splice

Smash Hero
are you sure unskillful was the right word?
I thought the mentality had nothing to do with individuals deserving the win or not, it was just about what would happen to the state of the game. In this thread at least, the conversation has rarely been about what's fair, and more about what provides better gameplay.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Didn't evo have a 5 starter list at one point.
I.... don't think so?

I only ever remember seeing these three here....
Actually there WAS five stages as starters at one point. Not sure I can snag the screenshot I had from back then, but I'm 100% positive it happened (looking at the competitive ruleset thread on the main part of Smashboards it seems to have happened according to them too).

Gords

Smash Champion
One of the main reasons why i wanted to run 5 starters in sydney was that it was 5 starters for evo, i would really like to get a screen cap of that time when evo had 5 starters and tweet it to EvilMrWizard, much prefer to see 5 straters at evo than 5. Even with 3 starters i prefer to see Melbournes 3 starters than FD in the starter list

Jamwa

Smash Champion
he told me Omegas and Gentleman's Picks would be banned
sounds ridiculous
if players would like to impose their own mutually agreed rules on a match who's the TO to say no to that?

while we're at it let's ban fun and playing not 100% seriously to get the best results for every tournament and make sure people understand that smash is no longer a party game but a real fighting game
next monthly we will bathe players in dopamine indicators and as soon as someone changes colour we will have our assigned "smash ranger" shoot tranquilizers at this person and remove them from the venue until they calm down.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
i think it's coz it'll be streamed and there's copyright issues with certain music that plays on certain stages

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
sounds ridiculous
if players would like to impose their own mutually agreed rules on a match who's the TO to say no to that?

while we're at it let's ban fun and playing not 100% seriously to get the best results for every tournament and make sure people understand that smash is no longer a party game but a real fighting game
next monthly we will bathe players in dopamine indicators and as soon as someone changes colour we will have our assigned "smash ranger" shoot tranquilizers at this person and remove them from the venue until they calm down.
There is a thing going around its about licensing issues with music.

A shame really, I like Omega Palutena's :ohwell:

Also, setting the music all the way down doesn't guarantee it won't play.
Kinda stupid if you ask me >_>

Last edited:
Top Bottom