• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask VMan about Yoshi Thread (A General Yoshi Discussion)

yoshiiscool

Smash Journeyman
Well, I was pleasantly surprised to wake up to that. It was actually a lot better than I expected, though I do have a bit of (hopefully constructive) criticism. Hope you don't mind me posting it here.

I'll start off by just saying I'm not gonna comment on the egg lays, everyone here knows what I think of them, and seeing them in action really makes me feel like it's evidence against, rather than for it. BUT I think I've also realized why you think it's so good, and it's because your shield pressuring ability is uhhh... not great yet. You were getting shieldgrabbed a bit from misspaced b-airs, high/misDJCed n-airs, and even when landing some good stuff on the shield, you wouldn't react to his patterns, and instead, guessed what to do each time. For instance, at the beginning of the matches, you would land behind into u-smash, and as most CF players would do, he jumped out of shield and got punished. After he learned about this, you kept u-smashing, while he either kept shielding, or did something else to avoid it, and you missed out on punishing. So in your mind, you might be thinking "well, Yoshi doesn't have many options vs a shielding character, so egg lay works because it negates the shield, even though it has negligible benefits." So my advice is to become more patient with shields, and learn to react to jump outs, or rolls/spot dodges. Especially on platforms it's very easy to get behind someone's shield, and just react to anything they do.

Next, I really have to question your thought process on which moves to use when. I find B-air is actually one of the worst approaches vs a falcon, because of his range with HIS main approach of n-air, and doesn't cover below enough to defend u-air either, and even after eating bad trades, you continued being aggressive with b-air. Patience is pretty much your best option vs Falcon, staying grounded when he's in the air to abuse f-tilt, u-tilt, and u-smash, or going for a DJCC n-air/u-air on his weaker aerials. Another thing is you choose to d-tilt... a lot. I find d-tilt to be a pretty terrible move, altogether unless used in edgeguarding. When you d-tilt as shield pressure after an aerial, the hitbox is actually so low, that people can jump out of shield and punish you, and even if it does hit the shield, it doesn't give any frame advantage at all. Not only are these things true, but d-tilt itself being set knockback means it resets the situation, and you are forced to go back on the defensive, as chasing doesn't really result to much. Instead of d-tilting, I highly recommend f-tilt. It's faster, safer, can be angled to stop jump-ins, and most of all LEADS TO STUFF. I think that's what you have to look for in your options, not so much "what gets me damage" but more "what puts them in a worse position, and gives me the opportunity for a combo, or getting them off the stage." Though, by all means, if you feel suffocated, d-tilt isn't terribad... just has miniscule usage. I'll also say this here, since it's basically the same principle as the option thing; you had trouble KOing, but not for lack of having opportunities, or percentage, you just chose to do things like u-air, as opposed to n-air to get him off stage, also your edgeguarding wasn't great, so that didn't help. Remember to edgehog, then chase, and only use eggs if they're far out, or you're going to edge-cancel them.

You should just try to focus more on being patient for right now, and considering your options more. You've got a lot of stuff pretty solid, and I'll excuse the technical mistakes as being nerves, but you need to learn how to punish openings better. If you have a reaction time good enough to use parry effectively like I heard, then there really should be no reason you're choosing to guess, and dash attack in the opposite direction during a get up roll, instead of stand-by and react.

So yea, needs work on shield game, choosing better options, and being more patient, but I still think you're one of the better Yoshi's around, so I hope I didn't discourage you.

Also, just like to point out that at 0:58 in the vid, you accidentally do the technique I talked about in a recent post, where your double jump can be cancelled into a lagless land by attacking right above the platform. Isn't that a pain in the ***? :p

Zinayzen

Smash Apprentice
Was that Taj talking throughout most of the match? He knows what he's talking about.

That guy surprised me. Especially having no one to ever play with.

JESUS CHRIST. What in the hell happened at 12:48. He's my new hero.

Nogzor'z

Smash Journeyman
After listening to the commentary, and reading Moo's post I'd like to reply to some things...

@ Moo: Completely appreciate your critique, by the way. I'll take that excuse for my technical mistakes being nerves... especially since I was REALLY nervous.
Anyway, as for my "should be better" punishing options, this I'll blame my limited player experience. I'm sure you heard in the commentary that I pretty much play 2 other human players. So instead of that helping my reactions to openings, I basically became conditioned to specific tendencies. I agree that this part of my play style is poor, and is one of the things I hope to work on intensively with more experience.
As far as my Shield pressuring ability goes...It doesn't go nearly as far as Vman's does, and is something that I hope to improve on. It is just difficult, for my technical ability and speed is no as great as most others.
Also... not sure why I chose to use so many B-airs V falcon, I agree that staying grounded and using F-Tilt especially is much better. I suppose that was my own fault of bad choices.

@ Commentators (mainly Taj): Im glad that you pointed out my not so great matches, especially, against fox in pools. Fox probably is my worst match up. As you know...Both my brothers main falco, so my play style and adapting against other characters AND play styles is quite rough around the edges. (hooray for more johns)
And Taj, (I think) about your comment on how yoshi would fair against Ice climbers... Well, while I disagree yoshi would get destroyed by them, I doubt I have the debating capacity/ immense smash knowledge to show it.
Hopefully next time around, I, along with my bro's, will have a lot more time/less pressure to show our stuff. (and not SD so much :()

Keep the constructive criticism coming people. It really is quite helpful.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Only thing that I have to disagree about Taj's commentary is that Link doesn't do too terribly well vs Yoshi. If anything, Yoshi kinda poops on Link.

CC anything Link throws out until 60%.
Links' moves telegraph themselves, making parrying easy.

Yoshi has superior mobility, making it that much easier for Yoshi to get in on, and lock Link down.

Also Vman, you should be awesome and critique my Link, but I'm fairly certain I've already got a good idea on what I need to work on, lol.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Lol, I would love to critique your Link, but this is the Ask Vman about YOSHI.. not Link.. :p...

I wouldn't go as far as saying, Yoshi, owns Link because he does not, Im sure my Yoshi at this level is just a bit more experienced than your Link is at this peticular MU...then of course with me chaning my emphasis, on my thoughts on the parrying debate (which btw I made an earlier debate about Parrying not being playable w/the current metagame, ....yeah, I was full of ****, Parrying, is mad easy/usable etc.) Thanks to Nogzor, Leffen, and Mind Trick for being my final convince factor on this debate.)

@Nogzor's - don't worry man, your doing amazing, and in no time at all, you'll be up to speed... ^^ I sorta even have to thank you cuz I was gonna ignore parrying, and further my Yoshi game w/o it.. but now I'm convinced it's completely necessary and I thank you for that...

Keep all the advice coming all... Loving the Yoshi love! <3

Lastly, Taj, did indeed call some of that right.. Link does fairly well vs Yoshi. the best Link I've ever played was Axe's honestly, and he'll even tell you his isn't that good... I don't think you use bombs enough, or any of your projectiles enough for that matter.. but honestly, you should go to the Link boards, and ask for critique there..

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
falco mu. halp. Also, falcon. In general, i get overrun, and i know that defensive options aren't really yoshi's forte, but i know i'm not at the point where i can blame yoshi before i blame myeself. feels like they can just throw aerials at me, and it's illogical to try to dj trade because it's winning for them.
Grabs. Should i be doing them? Yoshi's ****ty range and time make it seem really dumb but if i see someone shielding i tend to just go for it, and more often than not i end up getting a dthrow uair or bthrow dtilt gimp. i dunno. opinions?
A low eggstall. Is there anything more to it than practice? I manage to keep it pretty low consistently but people still hit me out of it.
ledgeguarding fox and falco. I've kept to dtilts, nairs, and dsmashes, but i usually end up trading. Is there a better way?
Uhh, asides from that, i just wanna know about avoiding combos. I get the basic "double jump out of their hit, then counter", but i end up fuking it up so often i worry i'm screwing up in executuion.

Oh, yeah, parrying. Do people do this in game? do I need to learn this?

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Haha I got called out in the commentary.

My Yoshi isn't good yet!! I'm just good at parrying lol. Good to know I've tricked people into thinking I'm good though. :colorful:

Mafia yes people parry in game, yes you need to learn.

Vectorman sorry I couldn't convice you parrying was useful with my other thread, I knew people would come to that conclusion eventually though. It's not THAT hard to do consistently in matches.

And the Angel guy definitely did some unique things with Yoshi I'll probably steal. Good vids.

Nogzor'z

Smash Journeyman
falco mu. halp. Also, falcon. In general, i get overrun, and i know that defensive options aren't really yoshi's forte, but i know i'm not at the point where i can blame yoshi before i blame myeself. feels like they can just throw aerials at me, and it's illogical to try to dj trade because it's winning for them.
Grabs. Should i be doing them? Yoshi's ****ty range and time make it seem really dumb but if i see someone shielding i tend to just go for it, and more often than not i end up getting a dthrow uair or bthrow dtilt gimp. i dunno. opinions?
A low eggstall. Is there anything more to it than practice? I manage to keep it pretty low consistently but people still hit me out of it.
ledgeguarding fox and falco. I've kept to dtilts, nairs, and dsmashes, but i usually end up trading. Is there a better way?
Uhh, asides from that, i just wanna know about avoiding combos. I get the basic "double jump out of their hit, then counter", but i end up fuking it up so often i worry i'm screwing up in executuion.
Lemme try and give some help here...

Against Falco: Reflecting and/or parrying his lasers will help quite a bit and keep falco from abusing them so much. DJC counters as easier and more helpful here than against falcon, since falcos movement in general is slowish and anticipating/seeing aerials appraoches is easier. A stage with platforms will increase yoshi's evasion +5 and make it that much harder for falco to fight you.

Against Falcon: A good ground game helps here. As falcon approaches dont let him bait your defenses by have a variety of mix-ups and just playing flashy-like. Yoshi's Ftilt, up angled, works well against a falcons SHFFL approach. (Upsmash and Utilt also are good). When getting overwhelmed by a falcon... light-shield one of his attacks to slip out of sticky situations.

Grabs. They are great. keep using them. Especially against fast fallers, but also helpful against floaties, yoshi's D-throw will either lead to Uair juggle (or other attack) or a tech chase, depending on DI. Otherwise it will put most other characters above you where Yoshi can continue to inflict damage with U air or eggs as they try to land.

Yea... edge canceled eggs just require practice, although even when consistent with this tactic it still has its risk. for example... sheik's needles can gimp you.

With ledgeguarding, for the most part, heckle your opponents with eggs until they get close. Then continue what you're doing with Dtilt, downsmash, Dair, and nair.(althoug if you arent already, try jumping out facing back with nair, for its hitbox is much larger behind yoshi) Also remember that yoshi can take the ledge very quickly for getting those edgehog kills.

Yoshi is a heavy character, so he gets combo easily by many characters. As for AVOIDING the combo, just keep trying to double jump out of it. The actual absorption of a hit takes a few frames, so if a button is hit at that time, nothing will happen. Timing an aerial can be difficult but just practice till execution is near flawless. As for the counter part, dont worry about it so much. Just focus about canceling the jumo early enough so that you can land and escape your opponents clutches.

Hmm... i feel like I typed too much.... ehh whatever.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Haha I got called out in the commentary.

My Yoshi isn't good yet!! I'm just good at parrying lol. Good to know I've tricked people into thinking I'm good though. :colorful:

Mafia yes people parry in game, yes you need to learn.

Vectorman sorry I couldn't convice you parrying was useful with my other thread, I knew people would come to that conclusion eventually though. It's not THAT hard to do consistently in matches.

And the Angel guy definitely did some unique things with Yoshi I'll probably steal. Good vids.
OH wow, I feel bad now... Actually sheermadness, if you don't RECALL.. you were the FIRST to note that it'd be wise that I learn this.. I simply forgot to include you in the shoutout on my post... In theory I owe you the MOST appreciation.. just it took me a better understanding to understand what I can do with it.. I have the vids to show off, how impressive/amazing parrying really is even at top level play with players such as Axe/Taj, that i'm hoping you all will love when I release the videos... I owe you a major thank you! :)

Let's go Yoshi players, ! n_n

Nogzor's - I like <3 that guy! :p ^^

The Irish Mafia

lol, neglected to read this but ended up doing some of the things you told me to. i feel a lot more confident in my dj counters now and my eggstalls. i feel like powershielding isn't so great vs falco because of the whole terribad shield.
i really like jab resets so far. against spacies, dthrow uair at ~30 will usually bring a forced tech (in my expereince) so i just like to jab it and grab again or dsmash.

vids soon to come, hopefully.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Vman, are you going to ROM3 or any of the other big (inter)nationals?

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
lol, neglected to read this but ended up doing some of the things you told me to. i feel a lot more confident in my dj counters now and my eggstalls. i feel like powershielding isn't so great vs falco because of the whole terribad shield.
i really like jab resets so far. against spacies, dthrow uair at ~30 will usually bring a forced tech (in my expereince) so i just like to jab it and grab again or dsmash.

vids soon to come, hopefully.
wavedashing out of powershield makes it a really handy tool, eliminate lightshield on one button and crouch makes it pretty easy to consistently do

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
hey everyone! ^^ got some new videos up.. vs some of AZ's finest... the Upcoming GG7, and Kyle.. both on AZ's top 6 in power rankings... tons of fun playing them.. vids will be up in the next few minutes..

@teh icy: I plan on pound for sure... ^^; it'll be mad hype... Rom3, is an i'm not sure for now.. but Pound is a definite probable.. ^^ <3

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
the new videos.. should have some parrying variables in them... ^^ i'm sure one of the matches vs the Peach.. will show some of the interesting potential...like sheer, nogzor, leffen, and many others have suggested... supershielding has Sooooo much unexplored potential... <3

^^

Playing Yoshi,, really is soo enjoyable <3

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Allrite sorry about the delay... Here you all go... I still have some more Vs Axe/Taj, but I assumed.. many of my vids vs Axe have already been seen.. so I'll choose more accordingly.. Have vids vs AZ's Best Falcon.. and AZ's best Peach =p.. Comment/critique/enjoy... <3 Yoshi players.. (atm prolly AZ's best Young Link too) XD..

Allrite Enjoy! :)

vs GamerGuitarist (Falcon)

Game 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_OjsunF4jg
Game 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIY3dFTRfB8

vs Silly Kyle (Peach)

Game 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow6upXzaqB0
Game 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_3epXI9dmg ---> Pretty cool supershield. <3
Game 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o68nLmuOr1A
Game 4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmBNcgfoL-o

vs GamerGuitarist (Young Link)

Game 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIKJV3dr1C8
Game 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlCeUfrIsEo
Game 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SoRHm6Nf54

Hope everyone enjoys! ^^; I'm gettin there ^^;

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
vectorman, what was that thing you were doing when he would hit your shield and you like flew to the edge?
Haha, yeah Cash pretty much covered it.. When Yoshi is lightshielding... he has much less traction.. depending on how light you hold your lightshield will determine how far/short Yoshi will go... "also" power/knockback of the move that hit your shield will also deter how far yoshi will slide.. ^^

Wooot Go Yoshi! <3

@silentwolf - *drools* good stuff man ^^

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
lol... honestly.. a Yoshi rap.. (might be in it) Hint: it is from Yoshi's story..! I haven't decided completely if i'm gonna do it or not.. cuz i'm searchin for the right music... but... so far.. the Yoshi video is looking pretty good.. I can't wait to show everyone... ^^

Umm lol.. and yeah I suppose we both are...menn? but mine only has one "N" in it.. =P

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
woah, you mean when you lightshield there is a difference between lightly lightshielding and strongly lightshilding? I did not know that before.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
Hmm I've played it a lil bit. Its not that bad of a match up. Yoshi's down tilt helps alot in seperating them. It also shuts down their stupid wavedashing. Don't get grabed. And watch out when Doing any type of smashes because they can easily counter. When edgaurding they are gonna want to come in high. Just try and knock away and repeat. If hes trying to recover with up b. Hitting or grabbing nana is very effective in effing that up.

The Irish Mafia

they can avoid everything you throw out due to their mobility and only need one grab to kill you
doesn't help that yoshi does need to shield occasionally, and while i'm sure that not all IC's will instantly know to grab you, most can figure out that all you're gonna do oos is roll or sidestep dsmash/whatever yoshi tricks you have
pretty much all your attacks can be punished by wd in to grab, i don't think dtilt is an exception b/c yoshi can't exactly just run away after he throws it out
imo, keep to the air and try to **** sopo on the ledgeguards, dtilt will pretty much instakill him because of how low he recovers

this is speaking from very little MU experience, I've played an IC's or two but I'm sure Vman could explain better, living in AZ and all

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
AZ doesn't have any IC players. Wobbles moved, and the Tucson-based IC's main quit a year ago.

Our better players can play IC's fairly competently, but Vman doesn't really live near any of those players. :p

Top Bottom