• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask VMan about Yoshi Thread (A General Yoshi Discussion)

Zinayzen

Smash Apprentice
i suck at ECE. horribly. WHY IS YOSHI SO TECHNICALLY DEMANDING!?!?!?!?!?
I started doing really, really nice ECEs last night. I want to say it's practice, but honestly for me it was like 20% practice, 80% just being in the right mindset.

Zinayzen

Smash Apprentice
Also, I've noticed that if your opponent's getting a little too close, you can complete a neutral B and grab the edge again, making them plummet to their death. If he's getting a little too aggressive, egg that *****.

Nogzor'z

Smash Journeyman
Also, I've noticed that if your opponent's getting a little too close, you can complete a neutral B and grab the edge again, making them plummet to their death. If he's getting a little too aggressive, egg that *****.
Yes indeed. I've done this on multiple occasions where i neutral B someone who jumps off the ledge to edgeguard me, only to be egg lay'd while i safely grab the ledge.
If I inferred correctly... Are you implying to Edge-cancel Neutral-B, in a sense?

Zinayzen

Smash Apprentice
Yes indeed. I've done this on multiple occasions where i neutral B someone who jumps off the ledge to edgeguard me, only to be egg lay'd while i safely grab the ledge.
If I inferred correctly... Are you implying to Edge-cancel Neutral-B, in a sense?
Yeah. You have edge-cancelled eggs, which basically tell them to GTFO while you get back onto the stage. If they get inside your safety zone, you can edge-cancel neutral B's to wreck their recovery, or if they're uncomfortably close you can ledgehop up and waveland right back to the edge, then a quick ECE to a fair or even an fsmash, if you're fast.

god i ****ing love yoshi. he's so great. I'm at the point where I honestly don't see a lack of Up-B as a serious crutch, because he can be so incredibly mobile. DJC wavelandings on platforms can just wreak havoc on strategies from other people.

I'm starting to play like V3ctor, but I'm developing my own strategy for sure.

It still pisses me off that I can ECE and do crazy reverse eggrolls, but I still can't L-cancel.

Zinayzen

Smash Apprentice
Can Yoshi double jump -> airdodge (not waveland) from the ledge onto the stage before his invincibility runs out?
Yeah, but why would you want to?

Besides, who cares if invincibility runs out if you're airdodging? You'd be invincible anyway.

Zinayzen

Smash Apprentice
Because people react to ledgehops. You could get hit before the invincible frames of the airdodge started.
You can get two or three ECE's off and airdodge back onto the stage from the invincibility of one ledgegrab, if you time it right. If you wanted to keep doing ECE's, for some reason, waveland back onto the edge. Repeat until bored.

Honestly, though, I try to only throw out one or two ECE's before I get back on the stage, I don't like being near the edge or ledgehopping.

I've started using B moves WAY more than I used to. I definitely play more like V3ctor than MindTrick. MT focuses on comboing the absolute **** out of anyone, which is always fun, but it's higher risk. I prefer to just keep pressure on them from a distance if I can, it's slightly safer. You can combo ECEs with fair, follow the tech, and fair again to lead into easy combos.

I'm hoping to get some friendlies up soon so you guys can critique me, but I don't have the cords to record games and stuff.

Zinayzen

Smash Apprentice
I just got four stocked sixteen times in a row by a guy playing Falco, Fox, Marth, Shiek, Falcon, and Ganondorf.

Goddammit. **** yoshi, I'm picking up falco.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Don't worry man, you got this <3 I fully support, you and if it goes wrong, send him my way, i'll do my best ^^ <3 jus tryin to help/support you man <3

Nogzor'z

Smash Journeyman
I just got four stocked sixteen times in a row by a guy playing Falco, Fox, Marth, Shiek, Falcon, and Ganondorf.
I'm sure you had in mind when picking up yoshi, from the getgo, that there would be rough times that causes seemingly unsurpassable struggles. Especially against other characters that can easily gimp yoshi. (shines, fairs, needles, tippers)

BUT.... if I may infer something here, Perhaps you might be trying too many risky tactics? ECE and any edge-related games puts yoshi in grave danger since he only has 1 jump to rely on. Try playing a safer or more defensive playstyle to keep yoshi on the stage. This way loses may not be so one-sided.

In any case, Zinayzen, I hope you'll continue to play yoshi with full intent on trying to overcome difficulties. When these are achieved, the rewarding feeling is definitely worth the trouble.

**Hopefully you can get vid'z of some of your friendlies sometime so more accurate critique and advice can be given.

leffen

Smash Champion
Man I still dont get how you can think fox is close / impossible :/
Recently played really good vs a top fox and other above average foxes. Still getting ***** by mediocre falcos .I **** them when I get in, but get raeped from 1 hits its never more than 1 stocks wins :/.
Any advice? Gonna work some on parrying but its fkn ******** on fd D: ( tho falco ditto is one of my best matchups, but still fun to know matchups for friendlies ;)

Mindtrick, you should come to BEAST, I wanna play some
Yoshi dittos :D

Nogzor'z

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't be able to say much about the fox matchup ( since I too have some trouble with it myself)

But regarding falco...Quite frankly it is a hard matchup, and when the falco knows how to fight a yoshi, it just gets worse. To me, the results comes to how well the player can work with whats given.
If you can get in and combo like a maniac, more props to you, but it won't do much if the opponent doesn't die. Let me propose that everyone not just look for **** combo opportunities, but also quick kills through gimps pressure and edge guard ****.
In the falco matchup, find ANY way to get falco off the stage, Perhaps cut a combo short >hit off stage...In this change up, the falco might be surprised and try to get back onto the stage as quick as possible. You could then easily intercept the falco's intstant jump > shine with a nair or egg.

Wow... i like scenarios and rambling..... heh heh :\

Zinayzen

Smash Apprentice
also, for the love of god, don't be off a stage or you will get spiked to ****.

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
Man I still dont get how you can think fox is close / impossible :/
Recently played really good vs a top fox and other above average foxes. Still getting ***** by mediocre falcos .I **** them when I get in, but get raeped from 1 hits its never more than 1 stocks wins :/.
Any advice? Gonna work some on parrying but its fkn ******** on fd D: ( tho falco ditto is one of my best matchups, but still fun to know matchups for friendlies ;)

Mindtrick, you should come to BEAST, I wanna play some
Yoshi dittos :D
not gonna happen I think :O
I know ryuker found some cheap tickets, but you need to get to germany first, and my last two trips to france and england as the single driver kinda left a bad taste :p
not too forget Im saving money and my exams are immediately after that period

I still don't get how you prefer fox over falco LOL
Amsah has been training his fox a lot lately, and he can pretty much consistently 3 stock me if he's trying, by keeping insane pressure on me with drill shines. I can never use my shield, because I know he WILL follow my rolls while pressuring my shield.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
just went to a tourny this weekend and played some friendlies against Ripples roy. I beat him with my yoshi. lol pri awesome. btw PEEF was there but Moo didnt come? whys that???

Zinayzen

Smash Apprentice
Wore slippers to local tournament.

Won local tournament.

I attribute this victory to my footware. You should get some.

yoshiiscool

Smash Journeyman
Where was it at? And I'm also currently in a bit of a financial situation. Couldn't even make it to tipped off. Stuff should be looking alright after this weekend though, I hope. I don't really look around for tourneys much anymore btw, it's just whatever people tell me about, maybe I should try to be more active and stuff xD. Oh well, sometimes just can't be helped. There is going to be a tourney down here though around the antioch/nashville area, and down in alabama in the next couple of weeks I'll almost definitely be going to, so yea... I could prolly talk to my roomy about housing you if we're not already booked solid, if you're interested in the nashville one (only like 30 minutes away). I think it's called TOAST or some ****. <shrug>

Top Bottom