• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask VMan about Yoshi Thread (A General Yoshi Discussion)

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
For yoshi I found it's best to immediately start to learn to light shield with one button and full shield with the other.

Unrelated note, makin a lot of progress with parry :O
my whole playstyle consists of abusing stuff now lol as every person I play points out xD CC, DJCC, parry, fsmash teleport, upsmash invulnerability, insta edgehog, aerial grab, spamming eggs... yoshi's sooooooo broken :D
that means new confidence in a lot of matchups (a little because of parry) and only needing a second main for fox, yaaaaay

new trick of the week, pivot upsmash :O

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Vman, how in the world do you use this thing???? I wanna use Yoshi too :(
Lmao.. I love you Jeff! XD.. uhhhh.. well ummm you... push buttons and stuff... XD..
(remembers when Axe had a wonderful Yoshi)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_ZKk62hvIc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eaqc3HYsiJI&feature=related

=p

Just do what you did in these videos.. except.. well more XD

@Yoshiiscool - you have to realize, i was a beginner Yoshi... so anyone that I could watch.. i did... and I know I just recall watching you and Mind Trick the most...(oh and duh fumi of course) but you catch my drift... =) I probably wouldn't be a good Yoshi without you guys.. to learn from. :)

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
ok so i got lightsheild down...It just came to me last nite. and its so good....its like...

im here. then...()_______________________________________() im over here

Zone

Smash Champion
Yoshiiscool you coming to Tipped off? I saw your location and you're not ridiculously far so I was wondering :3

yoshiiscool

Smash Journeyman
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=273486

It's in Roswell Georgia, I believe, that thread should give you some decent information about it. Prolly a bit of a ways to travel for you, unfortunately. Me and my roommate are about to start having some monthly tournies, though, that a lot of good people from the south go to, and I'll always be at them, if you can't make TO. Also we could prolly house you and your crew for the weekend if you decided to just come to one of our tournies, so if you're up for it, we can meet eventually. :p

But, on that same subject, are any other Yoshi's going to TO? I know Shiri was happy that I was going, but I dunno if it's because he'll be there too, or just excited I'm actually going to be at a big event. xD I think Yoshido is close too... <shrug>

Zone

Smash Champion

It's in Roswell Georgia, I believe, that thread should give you some decent information about it. Prolly a bit of a ways to travel for you, unfortunately. Me and my roommate are about to start having some monthly tournies, though, that a lot of good people from the south go to, and I'll always be at them, if you can't make TO. Also we could prolly house you and your crew for the weekend if you decided to just come to one of our tournies, so if you're up for it, we can meet eventually. :p

But, on that same subject, are any other Yoshi's going to TO? I know Shiri was happy that I was going, but I dunno if it's because he'll be there too, or just excited I'm actually going to be at a big event. xD I think Yoshido is close too... <shrug>
I've been trying to learn yoshi but i'm not consistent enough yet. he's so freaking awkward >.>

Lordydennek

Smash Ace

ya that's too far. where would your tournies be? in Jeff city? My bro is currently living/working in Dresden TN so i could go visit him then maybe commute over to jeff city. idk. thatd be like 10 hours almost :(

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
oo thats 7 hours... but...I might do it. its only 4 from my home town of Poplar Bluff MO. so maybe if im home ill go over there idk. do you go home to PA every summer?

Nizro

Smash Journeyman
Best Yoshi so far imo, Svampen, Fumi and Leffen..
I did play Yoshi myself for awhile and got pretty good with him(0-death blabla ****) but I quit rather fast for no real reason I think, I guess I like Kirby more overall and I do better with him anyways.

Leffen pretty much got the right style to play Yoshi the right way, alot of baiting and getting around the stage without losing defence, and when he gets the grab(And he will sooner or later) he'll start a 70% combo easily since Yoshi's uair ain't that DI-able, regardless of DI you'll get multiple uairs on you with Fox, Falco.

I believe Yoshi should be on the top of low tiers right over Kirby in PAL, I don't care for **** about Yoshi in NTSC :)

leffen

Smash Champion
lolfs, dont think im better than mindtrick, they have alot more matchup exp so far.
Though I wouldnt doubt Im on a higher skill level mindtrick ( as in not with yoshi, but overall ).

V3ctorman is probably better too, dont really know bout the rest.

And I dunno where that post came from tbh, I certainly dont hate / look down on any of you <3
Though I sometimes think your arguments and opinions are a little stupid ;).

Yoshi ftw :D

leffen

Smash Champion
lols I dunno, Im a falco main atm so I cant blame him.
Though I think even if Fox was a 70-30 matchup he would still do waaaay better off just playing yoshi against him, training another character alongside with your main is pretty hard and almost no1 will have exp vs yoshi so more free wins ;D

Btw, anyone wanna do the thing I've seen Pikachu / Mewtwo boards doing, having live chats etc?
Would really be fun and helpful sharing tricks, matchup advice etc with other yoshi mains in realtime :D

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
That indeed would be fun.. I participate in both the Mewtwo and the Pikachu discussions ^^ very interesting stuff actually..

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
But didn't Mind Trick sell out to Fox. :mad:
Nah, Yoshi will always be (one of) my main(s), and I switch between fox/falco/marth as second main like every month. Last couple of weeks really changed my outlook though on what would be the optimal way to play Yoshi in the current metagame and how viable of a character he is (implementing parry, getting my techskill back and trying a lot of new stuff are the biggest reasons).

As of now I stand by my opinion that Yoshi has the tools to beat all of the cast (in PAL), with Fox being the only really lopsided matchup. I know how ridiculous that sounds, but if you learn how to use every (character unique) trick Yoshi has at his disposal and when to use it, I definitely believe it to be true (99% of SB's gonna declare me carzy ^_^).

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Does everyone here have AIM? I can think of something like AIM or MSN or something you know?

or if anyone else has some suggestions! ^^

N64

Smash Champion
pikachats have been going pretty well. Definately worth doing for yoshi if enough people are interested. We use AIM, but msn/icq/whatever works as well. Skype is also an option that we haven't tried (but pikachad has often suggested) if you want to do voice chat.

Biggest issue will probably be finding a time span that everyone's available (especially if you want us/europeans on at the same time) to talk. But if one gets running I hope you let me sit in! I'd love to see/hear the discussion heh.

darkgirku

Smash Journeyman
As of now I stand by my opinion that Yoshi has the tools to beat all of the cast (in PAL), with Fox being the only really lopsided matchup. I know how ridiculous that sounds, but if you learn how to use every (character unique) trick Yoshi has at his disposal and when to use it, I definitely believe it to be true (99% of SB's gonna declare me carzy ^_^).
Lol I also believe that to be true... for NTSC :dizzy:

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Andyyyyyyyyyyyyyy I wanna talk to you about Pikachuuuuuuuuuuuuu~

AIM: Yanikku

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
V3ctorman has given me sooo much more hope for low tiers.
Can't wait to see him get even better =)
Thank you Laijin ^^ that really means alot to me... ^^ I'll do my best.. If I ever go back to YL i'll refer to you...Keep representing low tiers everyone ^^

Zinayzen

Smash Apprentice
Hi, V3ctor. I must say, prior to this thread, I've never heard of you, but after watching videos, you have to be the best Yoshi I've ever seen (Fumi being a possible exception).

My suitemate plays Ganondorf, and for some reason, he always crushes me. Usually he'll beat me on his last life, so I'm still fighting, but I just can never win when he's ganon. Any other character, I can.

What should my strategy be? I know how to play Yoshi fairly well, I just can't quite get the hang of parrying or DJC-ing, which I have a feeling are things I should learn.

He's a fan of dair + fair, and that's almost always what kills me. I can't keep my distance for too long, because my immediate reaction is to get up close and personal. Which does occasionally work, but it's gotten to the point where he reads me. I spend far, far too much time up in the air.

So I guess my question is, how can I combo/**** Ganon without exposing myself for too long to his death legs, and how can I approach/keep my distance without opening myself up? If you happen to have a Ganon/Yoshi video, that would be great too.

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPtltPK8BHo
and two more should be in related vids.
in short, against ganon you dont wanna rush in, you wanna play patient and look for an opening and then stay on him. bair to uptilt is a good start for comboing him. you definitely need to learn how to djc, and parry is really usefull against ganon as well.

Zinayzen

Smash Apprentice
How did you dsmash directly out of a shield at 0:21? And what happened at 1:54? That's some crazy shield pressure. All L-cancelled, I assume.

Any tips for egging off the edge? Seems risky if you do it even slightly wrong.

I'm thinking the shield might come in handy. I can't keep my distance well, even on FD, he always knows where I'm headed. and I can't get inside his range immediately, or I'll be well punished. I take my openings when I can, and I'm starting to DJC. I have a feeling the shield might give me an edge, I get stuck in that position a lot.

Edit: In one of the other videos, you link a dair to a dtilt. What % is that possible at? I'm assuming it only works if they don't tech. If they do tech, what can I link a dair to? I need simple combos that rack up damage. These videos have already been incredibly helpful.

I'm not TOO far away from your level, techwise. I can do most of the things you do. I don't wavedash a ****ton like you, but otherwise I'm okay. Need to learn that RDJC nair, though.

Mindgame wise, I'm far behind you. Your yoshi is just intimidating, and it scares me.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
light sheild against ganon. it pwns. also a good old trusty combo is utlit utilt upsmash uair. use it at low percents then juggle them with uairs and eggs so they cant get down. that combo works on lotsa characters- ganon for sure tho

Top Bottom