• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask VMan about Yoshi Thread (A General Yoshi Discussion)

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
its likely that my yoshi is better than vectormans, just sayin.
You should play Yoshi SW ^^ that'd be cool..if it is.. more props to ya :p

EDIT: watched your new combo video... good stuff man :)

Mines even better, most likely
And I'm not just saying.

<3 yoshi
:( aww nobody likes me.. Well :p if it makes more players play Yoshi, everyone could be better than me.. as long as more representation of the character occurs.. <3

yoshiiscool

Smash Journeyman
Barring any form of catastrophic event to me, or people I'll be going with, yea, I'll actually be there :p. Sorry Mind Trick, no vids were made during the tourney :< It's ok though, cuz the matches were all pretty ****ty, I 2-0 / 3-0ed everybody except the guy who beat me in GFs, and he destroyed me with sheik.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
ARGhhhhhh Sigh... i doubts i can make it to tipped off on account of finacial college reasons. If i find an inexpensive way to make it happen. I would be there.

Oh and i saw some of your matches Chi Rule. Listen to what Mind Trick said. Also mix up your getting up from the ledge. Waveland on is great. But mix it up. maybe involve some eggs, down b, platform wave lands lands. Very good spacing with grabs. In the falco match up. Its safe to go djc crazy. He doesn't really have alot of answers to strong aerials unlike fox or peach. Just don't be predictable or miss cuz thats a stock. But yeah great stuff just clean it up.

darkgirku

Smash Journeyman
:( aww nobody likes me.. Well :p if it makes more players play Yoshi, everyone could be better than me.. as long as more representation of the character occurs.. <3
lol nah... You have exceptional control over yoshi... I can just double jump cancel counter on purpose ;)
I'd like to actually main yoshi... but i'm still trying to become great/solid at this game first. I'll get to Yoshi someday though... maybe sooner than later =D yooooshi

leffen

Smash Champion
Played some yoshi this weekend, no vids though :/.
And Mind trick, afaik you asked if i based My exp vs IVP ( non eus, he consistently goes even or wins vs Calle w in tourney and is 2/3rd in Sweden atm) the answer is yeah, him, pepito and some other great fox players. I dare say IVPs fox is atleast at the same level as axe's so people saying I dont base my stuff on good players can go fk themselves.

I told them all several times to try to camp me and the only result was 0-6% and bad position for them ( often resulting in me getting a hard punish ).
People saying yoshi can never catch fox are simply wrong.
Oh and all i've asked agree that its close to even ;)

Didnt get any matches vs aniolas this time but he comes again in 2 weeks or sooner ( and bringing Armada ;D ) .
The smash scene around Stockholm is prob top 5 in the world in activity atm, around 10- 20 players every friday and 4-8 that play 3-5 per week ;D

darkgirku

Smash Journeyman
Lmfao at eharmony joke...

I think yoshi is better thanmost if not all of the bottom tiers... We just gotta prove it P:

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I've been having a lot of trouble vs ranged characters like Marth and Jigglypuff. What do you guys do to get past those disjointed hiboxes? :confused:

leffen

Smash Champion
Use eggs if Marth is spamming high fairs or retreating ones, dont spam them though.
Learn the spacing on marths tipper fairs so you know when to CC.
Use ur speed and mixups to get through the wall .
Fsmash / Dj CC / **** work well too.

<3 marth vs yoshi lols, aslong as you dont rush into em all the time you will live to atleast 170% xD, 240% isnt anything abnormarl in PAL on dreamland lol.

Ill go over puff later if you want.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
What's the best way to punish Marth's fsmash? Spotdodging is pretty risky imo.

I tried shielding it, dropping my shield, and dsmashing, but he could block in time ...

leffen

Smash Champion
I usually just bait it. If hes wavedashing back and fsmashing then just mix in some dairs in the RDJC fairs and stuff and read his wavedash.
If u think hes gonna fsmash just cc, spotdodge, roll or smth, shouldnt really be too much of a problem if you got marth experience.

I think marth is kinda easy for yoshi tbh, on any stage not fd he cant really spam FJ / DJ fairs, and his dashdance game vs ours is just mixups, esp since he got nothing on us from grabs ( not even a tech chase from d/f/b throw ;D with proper DI ).

You will need to not approach too much in this matchup though, and if you do it has to be calculated approaches with different levels of aggression so he cant **** u with a retreating fair or a utilt.
You should basicly never approach at high percent since marth will have huge problems killing you ( esp since you can just sit in shield and grabs will grant him nothing ).

havent messed around much with grabs yet but throwing of the edge is prob the best in the ~40-80% range otherwise Dthrow ( ->Egg if not around platforms, semi combos marth since he has NO options vs uair ) -> Uair or using Uthrow to **** his landing or smth.

Always CP DL64 / Mutecity / kongo jungle or smth like that.
V3ctorman, Mind trick ( afaik you liked this matchup ) whats ur take ?

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
DID MY FIRST 0 TO DEATH OMG!

but ya got pretty excited. took my friends fox, which is pretty good, on the yoshi pain train. he literally couldnt move at all...so cool.
then i took his second stock with a quick gimp in about 6 seconds....he rage quit :p

either way it got me excited with Yoshi again!!

darkgirku

Smash Journeyman
That's alright. in fact, that's great lol. I work on basics with my main(s ) from time to time. should especially do it for yoshi since he's not one of my mains... yet =D

stuff i gotta work on:
ECE's
DJC shffled aerials (Uairs mainly)
air-dodging after a ledge tech
better game plan to use when i read rolls/techs instead of going off of improvisation
DJCCs!!!
and I guess experiment in parrying/supershielding

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
quick question. how do you guys light sheild? I find myself missing it when i just lightly press R down. is there a better way to do it? or do i just need to work on it more

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
I like to use the Z button... by putting it in like a "que line" <---- did I spell that right? but I usually hold it while i'm doing another move.. that way if I need to block.. then I have it... hope that helps..

if that doesn't help then yeah of course.. adapting to lightly pressing it will do ^^

yoshiiscool

Smash Journeyman
I suggest teaching yourself to condition light shielding with L/R to muscle memory, as it's the most efficient/quickest way to do it, but queuing it up with Z during lag frames is definitely effective. Only negative part about using Z, is it requires lag frames, otherwise, you'll grab obviously. Note though, that it can be held during ANY lagging frames, IE: side-steps, rolls, techs, while in hit stun, getting up from ledge/floor, etc. and not just during attacks. Also, you can actually L-cancel with the Z button, so that's also an option to start up a lightshield with it, albeit situational

btw, vectorman, it's queue :p

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
I suggest teaching yourself to condition light shielding with L/R to muscle memory, as it's the most efficient/quickest way to do it, but queuing it up with Z during lag frames is definitely effective. Only negative part about using Z, is it requires lag frames, otherwise, you'll grab obviously. Note though, that it can be held during ANY lagging frames, IE: side-steps, rolls, techs, while in hit stun, getting up from ledge/floor, etc. and not just during attacks. Also, you can actually L-cancel with the Z button, so that's also an option to start up a lightshield with it, albeit situational

btw, vectorman, it's queue :p
hehe.. I love you Yoshiiscool.. yeah that's what I meant.. ^^ i never been a good speller.. I knew the word.. but lol yeah my spelling - bad...

I want some more videos of you.. :( i've seen so very few.. and you're one of the Yoshi's I really watched closely.. when I picked him up and started learnin him ^^..

Post plz.. and I will make sweet love to you ^^ (no homo) - well maybe.. :p

yoshiiscool

Smash Journeyman
There just aren't many events I go to that actually have a recording setup for melee xD. There are a bunch of cool bros over in memphis, and down around birmingham I'll be going to visit sometime shortly though, so maybe I could ask them to record or something... Otherwise, cross your fingers that I do good at TO, and make it far enough in the bracket that people actually care to record xD.

Btw, I'm kinda disappointed that you watched my vids, I don't think many of them are very serious, or show good things to do :<. I'll do my best to change that, though.

Top Bottom