• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask VMan about Yoshi Thread (A General Yoshi Discussion)

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Is vectorman really the best yoshi? I'm new here and I don't know much about competitive smashers.
Lol naw, at the moment, there is not a Premier Yoshi player.. I guess for the time being i'm the "new guy" on the block attempting to turn Yoshi into something.. Bioshi/Mind Trick/YoshiisCool all have amazing Yoshi's all of which i've learned a great amount off of.. I guess I'm tryin to become the guy that pushes the metagame... of this character... and it has earned me some notice...and hype with some shocking success I've had with the little time I've had... by all means tho no favoritism, is trying to be warranted...

Mere, dedication, and hard work im tryin to put into a character.. to show everyone Yoshi is viable.. :)

leffen

Smash Champion
sup, just wondering is dropping edge, jumping, and wavelanding back to edge used / known ? its apparently 100% invincible with huge error margins ( sheik ish? easy to perform too ).
imho its awesum, because u can mix it up with instant waveland forward to dsmash / grab / dashattack or uber momentum moonwalk ( <3 ) and also with egg, get up attack and dj fair, waveland onto platform and more o_O

imho this kind of mixup planking is waaaay better than shieks, since its 100% safe and even if they get to the edge u have ur jump, in frame advantage and invincible, can egg lay them off etc etc etc

i can check error margin tomorrowz, 10+ frames frames for sure tho

DJ Fear

Smash Rookie
Oh so there's no really good Yoshi's?
I don't really know much about smash since all I did before was play with friends, I learned some pretty cool stuff but I'm sure lots of people already know it since this game has been out for a while.

DJ Fear

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I just found that out when I looked at the melee discussion thread and saw the tier list, but I'm going to stick with him. I looked at the melee advanced techniques and the yoshi discussion and found out that me and my friends are pretty much keeping up with it, we already knew how to "wavedash" which we just called dodge-sliding, haha, the L-cancel, and I already knew about Yoshi's edgehog. Well, now that I'm up to date with smash, hopefully I can get good enough to fully represent Yoshi and Y. Link. ^^

DJ Fear

Smash Rookie
It's strange? So I'm guessing theres not many lower tier users then. Haha, I need to get with the program and look up stuff, I can post some videos as soon as my friend buys a capture card. ^^ I think that might help me get advice.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Videos would be prudent. Though I would advise having basic technical execution down, at least to some degree. Otherwise you are going to get "Learn to L-cancel" as your primary response, which does you very little good.

Addressing your remark on popularity... lower tiered characters aren't really popular in general. You can find pockets of them, particularly in regions like MD/VA and Arizona, but on the whole the lower 3/4s of the cast don't see a great deal of competitive play.

DJ Fear

Smash Rookie
Oh, I already said I know how to L-Cancel, I've been playing the game for almost two years with some friends and we discovered some of the advanced techniques on our own while playing. So, hopefully if I post a video my technical skills will be decent. ^^

So, I'm probably going to be the only low tier in my area, since I play with 3 others and they use Fox/Falco/Marth/Sheik/Ice Climbers/ and Captain Falcon. I'm probably the second best out of my friends with our best player using Falcon. We once had a kid come over and use Pikachu and he was really good, but now we never see him anymore.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Oh so there's no really good Yoshi's?
I don't really know much about smash since all I did before was play with friends, I learned some pretty cool stuff but I'm sure lots of people already know it since this game has been out for a while.
No there are good Yoshi's, just not one player peticularly better than all of the rest is all.. There are many good yoshi players!!

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
I keep finding that I get one hellishly awesome combo per match and the rest of my kills are just fsmash to edgehog... but i usually lose. Its like you have to hunt soooo hard for an opening, most of the time its the other person making a mistake that lets me in and not anything i do...ugh. its so depressing to be so inconsistent. my other chars always do about the same but my yosh seems to have many "bad days" yet I know most of his tech skill better than other chars i play. when i comes down to it i just feel a bit limited with him.

yoshiiscool

Smash Journeyman
Define "better." It's all over these boards that the back of the n-air is less vulnerable than the front is, because Yoshi's foot is considered part of him. It has no other advantages though, and I'm not sure if the hitbox extends backwards as far as it does forwards, but I'm gonna guess it doesn't. So if you're trying to outpriotize something (for example, edgeguarding firefox or firebird) then the back hitbox is the safest, and you can make it so you won't trade hits, but if you're sure you can land the n-air without any counter attacks coming your way, front isn't any worse, and gives you more range.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Yoshi's n-air is just one big ol' circular hitbox, isn't it?

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Does anyone else ever chain nairs? You can do it vs medium weight chars like marth/peach.

I've done up to 3 nairs without them hitting the ground.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I feel like that would look awesome, but maybe be more flashy than practical. At roughly the same percents when a DJC'd nair might combo into itself, you could substitute an up-smash for the second nair, leading to uairs and positional advantage, while removing the risk of them getting some magic DI and somehow jumping/nairing out of your combo.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
C'mon ChivalRuse I'm waiting for ya man! ^^

Show me some Yoshi <33

=p

Sorry I haven't been on here too often... ShadowClaw IV Editing has been destroying me lately lol...but worry not.. SC IV is nearly complete...so I have alot more time to post...etc..

Hope to see some more awesome Yoshi rep! n_n

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
To add to what ChivalRuse said...

If you can combo Nair --> Nair, I think you can generally substitute the second Nair with DJC Uair, which would be better for straight up racking damage. Uairs are good like that.

Nair --> Nair with the intention of setting them offstage, however, is acceptable, because putting people offstage is gravy.

It depends!

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
If things fall into place this weekend, I can maybe record and show you guys what my Yoshi looks like so far. It's pretty embarassingly bad right now, so I could probably use some critique lol.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Nair occasionally sets up for upsmash or uair but not very often from what I experience. Obviously depends on their DI but at the percents you can nair chain they're too low to the ground to get off an uair after the nair. And they're usually too far ahead horizontally to upsmash since Yoshi's upsmash hitbox doesn't extend out in front him at all.

So it's usually nairs chaining into nairs/dash attacks from what I find. Yes it does a good job of getting them off the stage.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Nair F-tilt can often combo in the type of situation you seem to be describing, and if they're going to DI inward I tend to think F-tilt has a better launch. If it is still a situation where launchers won't work, or you can put them offstage, there's absolutely nothing bad about adding another Nair.

Regardless, this seems like situational gobbledygook. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with Nair --> Nair and it probably warrants use when it's the only follow available or the best follow available.

If only Sheik could Nair --> Nair more effectively. Alas. One can dream.

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
Watched a couple of matches, seems like you just need to get a bit more comfortable with the character and technical consistent, some things I noticed:

- try to return more without throwing an egg, it leaves you really open and can really only be done once in a blue moon and only when you can snap to the edge. A lot of the times taking the hit and countering/airdodging back (depending on if it breaks) or going high and down b is a much better option.
- buffer the downthrow, the chew isnt really worth it if it gets you away DI on it.
- try to bait more stuff in general, yoshis aerial mobility makes this one of his specialties, baiting and punishing. The different timings of djc drops (reverse or normal) is one of the hardest thing to implement into Yoshi's game I think (apart from parry o_O).
- try to find a way around falco's lasergame, you got locked into place a lot of the times probably because your not used to no OoS jump. There's really two sides on what to do here, Shiri says crouch powershield all lasers into wavedash dtilt, others (including me) favor staying above them using either platforms or just full jump and then use different djc timings to get in or get out. Rolling immediately when there's a hit on your shield works too, but this becomes very predictable very fast. Don't use excessive spotdodging as an alternative though, a more technical falco will **** you up and down.
- instant edgehog if you need to take the ledge, wavedash back is now obsolete as a method of taking the ledge xD (moonwalk (to egghog/down b hog) is still an option though :D)
- use dash attack more as aerial intercept or to get them off at really high %, at low it def isn't worth the risk of getting CC'd.
- ECE moar, always :D
- against characters like kirby, marth, jiggs, that like their aerial spam, djcc is your friend, just nair right through them to give them a big FU and combo the **** out of them after. (also cc dsmash is really good against marth fair and probably kirby's everything and pretty much all of the cast that isnt a furry or a princess.)
things you definitely need to keep doing is the good stuff that's ftilt like bair to ftilt and stuff, its a really good move, and using that big ol invincible head of Yoshi.

This is in the wrong thread btw :p

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Thanks for the tips! It kind of slipped my mind that there was another thread to post videos in. I'll be sure to make use of it from now on.

I didn't know throws could be buffered. Is it done by just holding c-stick in the direction you want to throw?

Top Bottom