• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask VMan about Yoshi Thread (A General Yoshi Discussion)

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
^ Thanks Mind trick + Leffen, Miss you guys!! ^^

Not much Link experience... so it was an innovating new experience.. I'll get better ^^; thanks again you guys <3

Thanks again for the support <3

@Leffen - Woooooooooooooot Yoshi

Hai Im Fearless

Smash Lord
question.
What are your guys' input preference for parrying? I've found the easiest for me so far is to shield with r, jump by pressing up, and use y to DJC the punishing arial

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
I usually get rid of lightshield on R, as to make that the parry button and do everything else with L.
To djc out of it I just press x twice, as I do for all my djc's (and djl's).
To wavedash out of it x -> L.

yoshiiscool

Smash Journeyman
I do same as mind trick, except for with L being my parry button, and R being my everything-else button.

Your idea of jumping with up just gave me an idea though, and it actually works. I'm not sure of how useful it will ever be, but you can actually buffer jumps out of shield with c-stick, so if you're holding c-stick up, and then shield, it's like an auto-parry-jump. I'll try to think up some applications/situations for using this, it seems like it can have potential, I guess something like instant dash-parrying, since you can hold c-stick up while dashing, and then shield... I dunno, just a concept so far to maybe make things easier. Honestly though, I think it's just a cool thing as opposed to a useful thing. It's easy enough to get it consistently with a normal method, but if you wanna turn your triggers in to jump buttons, this is pri coo.

Edit: Oooh, it makes parries on wakeup a hell of a lot easier, since it's just pressing L/R. Very interesting.

Nogzor'z

Smash Journeyman
I do same as mind trick, except for with L being my parry button, and R being my everything-else button.

Your idea of jumping with up just gave me an idea though, and it actually works. I'm not sure of how useful it will ever be, but you can actually buffer jumps out of shield with c-stick, so if you're holding c-stick up, and then shield, it's like an auto-parry-jump. I'll try to think up some applications/situations for using this, it seems like it can have potential, I guess something like instant dash-parrying, since you can hold c-stick up while dashing, and then shield... I dunno, just a concept so far to maybe make things easier. Honestly though, I think it's just a cool thing as opposed to a useful thing. It's easy enough to get it consistently with a normal method, but if you wanna turn your triggers in to jump buttons, this is pri coo.

Edit: Oooh, it makes parries on wakeup a hell of a lot easier, since it's just pressing L/R. Very interesting.
Wow... never knew that.
I definitely want to try it out for a bit.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Good stuff Leffen, and yeah you already linked those in an earlier thread.. good stuff ^^

Well, I was hoping someone else would upload, cuz everytime I do, it's nearly nothing new, and or everyone's already used to what I do or have done... but I guess, i'll give it a go...

Either way Last videos from me (Maybe) until my Roy is up to speed... Here ya'll go... Keep up the Yoshi work, I have high hopes in all of your Yoshi's, I know you wont let me down ^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEn0LbuAVq0

Also as of late, I'm going to update this, and with some major upcoming tournaments coming up, such as apex, and Nyte, I'm going to start up some more possible Yoshi discussion/topics, specially now, with more discoveries etc, being noted/useful in play.. so let's give this a go, I'll post more on ideas, i'd like to speak about later on tonite... Hope you all are here to join n_n

wooooooot Yoshi

Nogzor'z

Smash Journeyman
hooray for more videos :D

by the way VMan, Flagstaff is probably going to NYTE ;)
(which means I might have some videos to share )

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
So I gave in, Vectorman. I think I'm going to try to learn this character (at the very least, I want to be semi-passable). I'm going to watch Yoshi vids and browse through his tech skill things to see which ones aren't completely finger-breaking. Turn around DJC aerials I'm putting in my list of impossibles right now. Edge cancelled egg throws I can do (like the throw an egg, slide off, ledge grab thing), and I can do simple DJC things. And the thing where you can run/walk off the ledge, and turn around DJ to grab the ledge instantly.

If there's anything else I should know, please tell me. :)

EDIT: Under all of this, I secretly want to see this potential that leffen has been talking about...

leffen

Smash Champion
So yeah, I won a national yesterday with using only Yoshi! Armada wasn't there though lol

or well, I used fox vs an IC player (I HATE THAT MATCHUPOMGSOBORINGANDSTUPID) and I used fox a little in GFs after beating my opponents (Tonberry) fox with Yoshi first match (3 stock, 2 0-to-death combos straight from the start, and it was just after he said he said that noone wanted to watch a low tier get owned in GFs ;D so sad it didnt get recorded ;_;).

After I ***** his fox he went Bowser (which was closer lol!) and then I just suggested fox dittos since he wanted to do them lol.

Anyways, I recorded a lot of awesome friendlies ("seriouslies") vs Tonberry and many more good players which includes some epic Yoshi 4 stocks and 0 to deaths ;D, all of which will be uploaded to Ajpantons website (I'll compile a friendly set of awesome friendlies that he can upload to youtube if you guys want it).

There is another tournament next weekend where I'll also go all Yoshi ;D I feel like my knowledge of Yoshi improved TONS just by playing him more lols.

sorry for a messy post btw

yoshiiscool

Smash Journeyman
I wish there were more people around here... I just won a tourney yesterday, but not many people out of state came, and there wasn't anybody really notable. I didn't lose any matches, really either, except vs my roommate in winners finals since he knows how to play vs yoshi relatively well. Meh

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I kind of want to really pick up Yoshi seriously but it wouldn't really help cover many matchups that DK sucks at in NTSC.

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
good stuff leffen + moo

there's probably some footage of me from this weekends smashfest, but its not that remarkable, kinda stuck on the same level for a while because I can't find time to practise with people anymore

i'm glad theres this much footage coming now though, it gives me so many new ideas and makes me want to practise again

gotta find myself a crt again :)

Naughty Pixel

Smash Apprentice
I've also been taking a look at yoshi recently and would like to get better with him, I've got decent tech skill from my falco experience. I've been playing my roommate alot he plays luigi mainly an Ive had some trouble dealing with his floating out of my reach when I hit him away.

So if people could give me some direction such as MU advice against luigi and also if there's any yoshi specific things I should be looking into please feel free to list them.

:phone:

Hai Im Fearless

Smash Lord
just mastered shield dropping....
my friend figured out a way to shield drop that's WAY easier than the popular way as seen on youtube.
unfortunately I'm not allowed to share it with you until after apex, his wishes sorry :C

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
^haha, not a big deal man, not all secrets should be revealed...

Either way, I don't find shield dropping difficult anyway, I don't think Leffen does either.. :p

good luck man at Apex, Leffen and I will both see you there

Threads need more discussion/videos.. ^^, Might halt my Roy progress to get some hype in here

Hai Im Fearless

Smash Lord
I have a surplus of vids of my yoshi (with improved quality) on my HD right now. I'm going to a SFL tournament tomorrow which is a 4 hr drive, and guess what I'm doing on the way there ;). PRETTY sure I have enough clips for at least a tech compilation vid \ trailer.

basically there are 3 big tournaments before apex that I'm training for. one this weekend in SFL, one next weekend in CFL (yay), and one in december in CFL. HOPEFULLY I can crank out at least one decent placing before apex for the hype

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Make it happen fearless.. I've faith in you, don't lemme down now. :p you got this. :)

@one winged angel and pixel, reply here por favor, how far are you guys at thus far? what would you guys like tips/help on.. sorry for the late reply, just now seeing your msgs... ^^

Hai Im Fearless

Smash Lord

how to find me at apex :)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
also, sorry for stealing your color, vman, but light blue yoshi just outperforms the other ones.. cant help it

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
^haha, don't even sweat it man, i'm just happy to see yoshi players... As for the color, most Yoshi players use that color anyway, so it's not a big... Baby blue, is my 2nd favorite color (next to purple, but yoshi's shoes are purple, with the Light blue) so that's the main reason why i use the Cyan Yoshi)

^^

See you at apex man, be sure to find Leffen, his Yoshi will prolly be more fine tuned than mine, as I'm polishing my Roy atm, but dont worry I'll make sure we both give you a fine performance.. :)

Naughty Pixel

Smash Apprentice
I've been working on yoshi for about a week, I ve tried ledge eggs and can do that fairly consistently but I've seen you turn around on the ledge throw and regrab but I can only do that by accident. So if you have any tips for that

Also what is the easiest way to djc moves, like do you use the x/y to jump do you use a+directional or c stick or even z to input an attack?

One last thing that I've been having trouble with is recovering and the fact that if I get hit after my second jump that is almost always game over, so if you have any suggestions for how I could mix up my recovery I'd appreciate it.

Edit: I also have been working on shield dropping even before I picked up yoshi but I can only do it consistently when im not being pressured x,x

:phone:

Hai Im Fearless

Smash Lord
tl;dr - jumbled post about my current be-the-best-in-the-world-by-apex-at-this-games-secret-weapon-yoshi status.
-in order: tourney results, stuff about using notebooks to improve, my sad attempts to get people to talk to me about yoshi

Went 2-2 at the sfl tournament.

beat sfl's best peach (with my peach :p i didnt want to chance losing yoshi vs peach after 4 hr drive)
lost to linguini (had a sick ALMOST zero death first game like 0-90% with a bunch of uairs right from READY....... GO that ****ing no one saw )
beat clay (falco main hasnt been playing more than 1-1.5 yrs or so i think)
lost to travis (samus gimmick that im glad i lost to. learned a valuable lesson early that could have ruined me at apex.)

I learned a **** ton. Took a game from chops' falco in a friendly set. Taking games from good players here and there I just have to clean everything up.

I made a notebook when I was learning peach and used it to help memorize a lot of mindgames and other random things. I attribute me beating a power ranker at my first peach tournament (over the summer that just passed) much so to this.

I just made a yoshi notebook, and it's 3x more filled than my longest peach notes ever were which excites me to levels of bliss you wouldn't understand unless you knew my main history . I learned so many things; I need to practice but I know exactly what to work on for at least now which is good. Anyone want me to post it? it's like 2 pages' worth of stuff I need to improve on. will post if at least 1 person is still reading this jumbled wall of txt by this point and wants to give me their feedback on it.

I really want to have aim\facebook\whatever convo's about certain areas in particular.... hit me up? fb : http://www.facebook.com/sbelowsky aim : firebird1987taka

edit: incoming hype as **** MM vid too
p.s. idgaf how good you guys are at shield dropping, this technique Pi found found is game changing for yoshi and all characters. It's like literally impossible to mess up and you can do it at any speed. Idk you guys may know it already but there are so many uses for it that I'm not seeing that leffen\vect would have figured out by now. I'm trying hard to convince him to let me tell just leffen+vector if they promise not to share but he wont let me til after apex... working on it though.

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
I've been working on yoshi for about a week, I ve tried ledge eggs and can do that fairly consistently but I've seen you turn around on the ledge throw and regrab but I can only do that by accident. So if you have any tips for that

Also what is the easiest way to djc moves, like do you use the x/y to jump do you use a+directional or c stick or even z to input an attack?

One last thing that I've been having trouble with is recovering and the fact that if I get hit after my second jump that is almost always game over, so if you have any suggestions for how I could mix up my recovery I'd appreciate it.

Edit: I also have been working on shield dropping even before I picked up yoshi but I can only do it consistently when im not being pressured x,x
To do Reverse Edge Cancelled Eggs (RECE) it's easiest to just let go from the ledge with the controlstick at 7 o'clock then do your preferred way of ECE.

I use only x for most jump related stuff including djc's and instant djl, but it's really all personal preference.

The easy thing to say about your third problem is don't get hit out of your djc's or use them more carefully. If you do get hit though, learn to wiggle (flick control stick left and right) to get out of tumble state and be able to airdodge. Also learn at about what % moves break Yoshi's double jump (remember falco's shine always breaks) so you can use it to bait edge guards that you can easily double jump through and counter.

I'm kinda curious about what this easy shielddrop is... I have found that either the rotate (632 or 412) or the angle works pretty consistently for me after I've practised it for a bit. You all should check out Jeapie's latest vids vs Amsah, he really shows how to abuse shielddrops and how you're not at a disadvantaged position on a platform at all lol.

Also lastly, that up cstick to buffer jumps to parry that someone suggested is AMAZING :D

yoshiiscool

Smash Journeyman
You found a use for my c-stick parry technique MT? Tell me!!! I've been wanting to use it, I've tried using it after things like holding c-stick up after a dash attack/get up attack so I can insta parry, but it never really worked as well for me as regular parrying.

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
You found a use for my c-stick parry technique MT? Tell me!!! I've been wanting to use it, I've tried using it after things like holding c-stick up after a dash attack/get up attack so I can insta parry, but it never really worked as well for me as regular parrying.
Might have jumped the gun on theorycrafting too much lol
In theory you could do it after every whiffed attack to make it a single button press parry (reallyyyyy awkward to learn though)... however since it's a buffer it seems the window of frames is as small as possible?
You can definitely still parry with it but it feels like your timing has to be even better.

I guess it could still be good for tech in place/normal wake up, for people who are fishing for a grab... not sure though

yoshiiscool

Smash Journeyman
See, I'm actually alright at parrying with it, but what makes it awkward as hell is the fact that you have to let go of the c-stick, and move to whatever the hell else you wanna do really quickly. If you don't get off c-stick then you'll just full jump and make it almost useless. May I prod your mind about the theorycrafted opportunities though? I think it's got potential, and I personally wouldn't mind learning to use it, as long as I can think of a bunch of things that make it actually better than the standard.

Also you're right in that it's buffered, meaning first frame possible it'll get you jumping, but parrying is like a 2 frame window anyways, right? So it shouldn't be all that bad to get used to, I don't think...

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
I think the maximum window you could get was 4-6 or something if I remember correctly.

Wavedashing after the buffer is easy enough if you use the other shoulderbutton, might be easier to keep up with rapid falco lasers because of less inputs once again.

The switching you need to do from cstick to jumpbutton is like you said really awkward. Perhaps with practise and time it can become second nature though, or just using control stick to get the most awkward control scheme for Yoshi possible :p

Now the applications, the more I think of it, the less applicable they are lol
It's mostly just as backup for whiffed stuff and you're not sure if you're opponent is able to make the split second capitalization.

After other situations:
- Ledgedashing (not sure if it can be fully invincible, but with imperfect execution Im sure it is not, so can be useful)
- Shieldpressure (repeated nairs with parry's in between, so weird to do)
timing is so dependant on your opponents OoS shield habits, but if you manage to parry a shieldgrab after a nair on shield.... thats too awesome for words :p
- After rolling, teching, etc.

Beat!

Smash Master
How the **** do you DI Yoshi's upairs as Marth?

leffen does these silly 50-60% (or more) combos, and no matter how hard I try to DI to either side, I go pretty much straight up anyway T_T. I even asked him at one point, and he wasn't even sure himself.

(I know it would be more "appropriate" to ask this in the Marth boards, but considering it's such an unusual matchup I figured you guys could give a better answer)

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
DI behind him. Tho he can hit you regardless.

Vman/Leffen/Some other Yoshi: Teamsies at Apex? I'm mostly confirmed.

Beat!

Smash Master
I feel like eggs and superarmor would make it very difficult to plank against Yoshi effectively.

(not that I'd do it anyway haha)

Top Bottom