• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

ChaosDrifter

Smash Lord
you can buffer things out of grab release, that's how marth gets the air release->dair spike off against MK. Dunno what falco has though tbh

dainbramage

Smash Journeyman
Falco can't force any air releases though unless you're on uneven ground/at the ledge.

You can DACUS a few characters (mostly fastfallers), and do pretty much whatever you want to wario, if they press jump when mashing.

Falco can't force any air releases though unless you're on uneven ground/at the ledge.

You can DACUS a few characters (mostly fastfallers), and do pretty much whatever you want to wario, if they press jump when mashing.
There are a few characters you can force air releases on, but none of them have any follow-ups really. I know because I tested this out myself. I forgot which characters or where I placed my post on this. The only thing that sticks in my mind really was that normally you could not air release yoshi or squirtle, but if you dthrow -> regrab, you could suddenly air release them. Not like there were any follow-ups on yoshi, but with squirtle it was long enough to follow-up with a dash attack. Again, not really a good option when Dair is a better follow-up than dash attack.

I think the best thing to remember is that someone can wreck themselves by hitting the up on the control stick or c-stick or jump button. If they do that, they will air release themselves if they do not break out on a pummel. Shiek, wolf, fox, squirtle, and ganon I remember all have really bad air releases that we might have something on. Wario for sure, but any wario will try not to get an air release if they can avoid it.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
I'm trying to pick up Falco, but I'm having trouble connecting the CG > dair. I have been trying in training mode to get it down but I'm inconsistent. Sometimes I accidentally do a fair and some other times I am not close enough. Can anyone give me some tips?

Also Boost Pivot Grab looks sexy as hell. Does anyone know what other characters can do that?

I'm trying to pick up Falco, but I'm having trouble connecting the CG > dair. I have been trying in training mode to get it down but I'm inconsistent. Sometimes I accidentally do a fair and some other times I am not close enough. Can anyone give me some tips?

Also Boost Pivot Grab looks sexy as hell. Does anyone know what other characters can do that?
Dthrow -> Dash -> jump -> c-stick down

Just about every character can do it to some degree. Shiek, snake, fox, to name a few.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
If you are still having trouble doing the spike out of CG just practcing Buffering the dash after the D-Throw first and it should naturally afterwards, Buffering will end up being really important to you as Falco when you learn the character.

Ike has a sexy Boost Pivot grab too :D]

Thiago26792

Smash Rookie
In the Falco vs Meta Knight matchup, which counterpick stage would you recommend banning (as falco). I'm not sure between Rainbow Cruise and Brinstar.

HotWings

Smash Ace
Im looking for a main color for my falco and i was wondering which 1 yal think looks best?

I kinda like the bad guy look and idk which one looks more (evil) i guess you could say. Im looking at the red and black a lot but all of the other ones look pretty good aswell.

Just remember.. make me look like a bad guy xD.

Hope to hear some opinions pretty soon

Kasper!

Smash Lord
Im looking for a main color for my falco and i was wondering which 1 yal think looks best?

I kinda like the bad guy look and idk which one looks more (evil) i guess you could say. Im looking at the red and black a lot but all of the other ones look pretty good aswell.

Just remember.. make me look like a bad guy xD.

Hope to hear some opinions pretty soon
go green so that it reminds me of some vile person

HotWings

Smash Ace
Well im honestly thinking about going green just because of how the world is now and how everyone is going green and trying to save the environment and i try to do the same so why not go green in a game (plus the green jacket and black pants look just totally awesome)

I was thinking about going black/red/default but honestly i was playing with the green falco today and idk why but i seem to pull off so many more combos and am just 10x better with green than any other color, idk why im like that but if i use a color that makes the character look beast then im actually more beast, i guess im just weird like that (then again i have heard other people say there like that aswell so idk lol)

Im still going to be looking at the other colors but as of right now green is my #1 choice.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Well im honestly thinking about going green just because of how the world is now and how everyone is going green and trying to save the environment and i try to do the same so why not go green in a game (plus the green jacket and black pants look just totally awesome)

I was thinking about going black/red/default but honestly i was playing with the green falco today and idk why but i seem to pull off so many more combos and am just 10x better with green than any other color, idk why im like that but if i use a color that makes the character look beast then im actually more beast, i guess im just weird like that (then again i have heard other people say there like that aswell so idk lol)

Im still going to be looking at the other colors but as of right now green is my #1 choice.
Eww, green is my least fav color, in FFAs I target the person using the green coloured characters lol. And this topic belongs in the social thread not here.

Cloud Cleaver

Smash Journeyman
I'm just starting to pick Falco back up, and I want to get cracking on learning that bdacus, but I have enough trouble with the standard DACUS. I use dash + c down + control stick up and z, but I have horrible success rates, usually about thirty percent if I'm in top form. My most common erroneous result seems to be a short hop air dodge... It's strange, I can do the Gatling combo almost flawlessly, using a + c up (I claw the controller to do it). I have a standard tethered controller (old though), and I haven't screwed around with the default control settings at all. What am I doing wrong, and how can I ready myself for the (seemingly) more useful bdacus?

I do this up-forward on the control stick to dash, c-stick down, then press Z. THe up-forward method on the control stick with count as a dash when you start, but will be an upsmash when you press the z button. The rest is timing of when you press everything.

Cloud Cleaver

Smash Journeyman
Is that forward to dash and roll it up, or diagonally up and forward in one stroke? And do you hold the stick in that position throughout or do you have to release the stick to neutral prior to hitting another input of the dacus?

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
can someone link me to some vids that best demontrates how to play the marth and toonlink MU?

Is that forward to dash and roll it up, or diagonally up and forward in one stroke? And do you hold the stick in that position throughout or do you have to release the stick to neutral prior to hitting another input of the dacus?
diagonally up and forward in one stroke?
And do you hold the stick in that position throughout

These two things. All you do is push into the diagonal position to start the dash, then hold it there. Again, the rest is pressing the c-stick down and Z button at the correct timing. This way eliminates the need to slide up on the control stick after dashing forward.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
its better to use the sound the move makes as a cue to hit the button again.

Personally I hit the button right when i hear the sound and that gets me the long cancel rather consistently, but its different for everyone.

Cloud Cleaver

Smash Journeyman
There was a topic fad like this a long time ago, but in the modern competitive scene, what moves should I be spamming, what should I hold in reserve for kills, what should I use situationally, what should I avoid using, and what should I use most in approaching?

ChaosDrifter

Smash Lord
im wondering how you play the MU against Zelda?

I played a zelda at the monthly I hosted yesterday for the first time ever and got wrecked first match, but had an extremely close 2nd match as I started to learn how to deal with her.

I had trouble getting close enough to her to get the kill as she kept spacing me very well with f-smash, and she d-tilt to d-smash me a lot which punished me when I tried to spot dodge

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
im wondering how you play the MU against Zelda?

I played a zelda at the monthly I hosted yesterday for the first time ever and got wrecked first match, but had an extremely close 2nd match as I started to learn how to deal with her.

I had trouble getting close enough to her to get the kill as she kept spacing me very well with f-smash, and she d-tilt to d-smash me a lot which punished me when I tried to spot dodge
I'm naturally good at this matchup. I've found that pushing anything isn't a good idea because of Zelda's close-up game. Between the dtilt lock and her multiple-hit smash attacks, being near her isn't the best idea. That's why I imply the hit and run strategy. Get a few hits in then back off before I get into trouble. My advice to you is not to try to "get the kill" per se, but just wait for openings. Keep a steady distance. My favorite moves are nair, dair and phantasm in this matchup, because all of them do some damage, don't have much ending lag and allow you to get away pretty quick after. Oh, and do NOT try to force the grab. You'll get damaged and even if you did get it, you get maybe 2 throws. Not worth the punishment, my friend. Hope this helps.

Who is this Zelda, by the way?

Space harder with lasers. Zelda is actually quiet bad upclose. It just so happens that when she does hit you, it hurts it tends to hurt. If you are getting Naryu loved out of camping, understand that they will try to naryu love your laser. You need to try to bait this out of them, then being there to punish them.

If you can do this, then zelda should be no problem because she will be coming to you more often and her approaches are bad. But still hurt if they hit. Anyway, punish them, then follow-up. Her recovery is extremely limited if she has to use UpB.

I am not sure how you get out of Dtilt. I think you can avoid it by Smash DI, then shielding. Something like that. If you get caught shielding fsmash, do not try to punish it unless you happen to be right on top of her. It's like trying to punish MK's fsmash, it has too little ending lag. In the cases you are not on top of her, roll away it is the safest option. Roll behind might work, but it puts you in danger of getting hit. Spotdodge I think is a bad idea because too many follow-up with fsmash again which will likely catch you in spotdodge. And after taking two fsmash hits on shield, you are likely to get shield poked.

I highly recommend not trying to come down on zelda from above during recovery. Utilt and Usmash kill early, and last a long time. Aerials will get beaten out and airdodge will get punished since usmash lasts so long. With this mentioned, land away from her or better yet, go for the ledge.

If zelda jabs on your shield, it is spammable. But punishable with shield grabs. Trying to punish it with aerials does not work too well.

Overall, a patient falco should win this match-up out. Rushing in trying to punish things that you really cannot punish takes a huge risk. And someone who hits hard like zelda, falco wants to avoid putting himself into too much risk. Do not forget that double jab cancel works wonders against people trying to spotdodge or roll behind you.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
I need a little more help. I read the guide and I don't know when to cancel the illusion. It just says at the beginning, in the middle, and at the end. Can anyone give something a little more detailed than that?

ChaosDrifter

Smash Lord
Thanks a bunch guys, I guess I just wasn't playing patient enough. Now that I think about it I definately played more patient 2nd match and did a million times better.

Who is this Zelda, by the way?
His name is Arsenal, he's currently ranked 6th on our PR (although he'll be moving up to 5th next update, i'm ranked 10th and will prob stay there next update) and he plays MK and Zelda and has just recently picked up Peach

@Inferno3044:
Phantasm canceling only happens in a 3 frame window. That 3 frame window occurs at frame 17, 18 and 19 from the time you activate phantasm. You have to press the special button at one of those three spots. Pressing the special button on Frame 17 will give you the shortest distance. Pressing it on Frame 18 will cancel to the mid distance. While frame 19 gives you the longest distance phantasm cancel.

What you are trying to do is activate phantasm, then press the special button once roughtly 1/3 of a second after activating phantasm.

@ChaosDrifter: Interesting. He picked up zelda when he has MK. So many people use MK and other top tier people lol

F200172853

Smash Cadet
I tend to do an edge illusion cancel from time to time, when I run offstage, and perform the illusion.

Please explain concept, of how the cancel occurs.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
There is a certain spot where if falco phantasms to the ledge (when his thighs hit the ledge) falco just stop there without grabbing the ledge

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
At 2:35 in this vid i get grabed and back thrown by a yellow pikmin. I buffed a nair and it hit olimar after the throw. Is this known about already? If not we need to find out what moves we can use out of throw by yellow pikmin when we get grabbed and what % it works on to advance the meta game of the mu.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI2xShfWP8M

Slain Avenger

Smash Ace
Giving the fact that it was a yellow pikmin back throw, you could probably buffer pretty much anything, since it'll have very insignificant knock back. That probably won't be the case for most other throws. However I can think of no other move, since you only landed the nair due to it's hit box. Buffering a fair could probably hit, but lead to getting punished. Bair won't hit. Uair won't hit and set's you up for a juggle. Dair would hit, but we would have to verify if we can follow up from there.

Top Bottom