• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
because if he can still punish that.

he can jump up and hit you during the start up.
he can run away from you and punish the landing.

Kasper!

Smash Lord
is there a way to sdi moves like luigis jab safely

for example if he doesnt jab, but i think he is, is there a way to do the sdi input and not fsmash as well (yeah using both sticks for the di even if its just the jab)

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Try to airdodge to the ground Nado will be over there.
Yeah it'll be over there.

More seriously, if you try to land next to a MK that knows his stuff and doesn't have terribad reflexes you can expect him to **** your 4 frames landing.
Nado, Dsmash, pivot grab... Up B isn't even his best option here.
+Reaction speed is 12 frames.
+Start-up speed(UpB, fastest option perfectly buffered):1 frame
-Landing lag=4 frames
-Shielding frames=1 frame or jab=2
Shield=8 frame advantage; Jab=7 frame advantage

IDK MK's up b speed but i just used the fastest to prove a point.
Nair has jump lag. Dsmash + tornado has shield drop lag. UpB is the fastest.

A lot of times when MK is going to punish Falco when coming from above is when Falco aerials into MKs shield.

If MK is trying to UpB landing lag, they're going to try to time it with your movement. When you do something at the last second they'll either act in one of two ways(double jump away or footstool him): They'll upB anyways which then you know they're not thinking when playing and can beat them purely based on waiting for them to make stupid mistakes or they'll freak out and be paranoid/hesitant the next time you jump at them, which then you can bait them into certain things easier(short hop back and sliding up smash when they jump and try to fair zone you out)

Kasper: Hold away and shield.
Jabs, lasers, phantasm and Ftilt should keep Luigi away so you wouldn't need to worry about jab.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
so holding away will allow me to di away even if im at 0%?

and can i use this for every jab in the game?
The best possible DIability is to press away with the control stick and up with the Cstick while in jab hitstun.

Luigi needs to be right next to you for a jab + upB, and usually if they can get the UpB, they'll just go for that. The jab is just an attempt to cover a small amount of distance. Holding away and shielding should keep you far enough for him not to kill you.

If he grabs your shield, think of it this way: it's better to be thrown by Luigi than it is to be Fsmashed or upB-ed.

Kasper!

Smash Lord
The best possible DIability is to press away with the control stick and up with the Cstick while in jab hitstun.

Luigi needs to be right next to you for a jab + upB, and usually if they can get the UpB, they'll just go for that. The jab is just an attempt to cover a small amount of distance. Holding away and shielding should keep you far enough for him not to kill you.

If he grabs your shield, think of it this way: it's better to be thrown by Luigi than it is to be Fsmashed or upB-ed.
You are officially my DI guru. Thanks for the help xD

pulse131

Smash Ace
statistics dont really mean jack when your being pressured by a charater that does it so well such as mk.
like i said there isnt much more to it other then mk still has the advantage in pretty much all up close situations.
play the mu alot. thats how you beat it.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
What's the best neutral to take wario to in the first match of a set? Would it be FD followed by smashville followed by YI?

pulse131

Smash Ace
with falco it doesnt really matter imo, its all about preference. i prefer to take warios to smashville tho. makes there camping less predictable and its easier to get lasers in when there avoiding the cg.
unless they are really dumb and dont ban fd ;p
as far as cp's go, well, im not your man :(

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
statistics dont really mean jack when your being pressured by a charater that does it so well such as mk.
like i said there isnt much more to it other then mk still has the advantage in pretty much all up close situations.
play the mu alot. thats how you beat it.
Statistics like frame data dont mean anything. What you can or cannot do in certain situations is not important.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
[numbers]
A lot of times when MK is going to punish Falco when coming from above is when Falco aerials into MKs shield.

[stuff]
The point is : why would MK ever shield if he knows what he's doing ?
Shield is for people who need to get a range/timing advantage, and in that position (you in the air and him on the ground) MK can already outspace/punish you to oblivion.

The best thing you can do is not land near MK, and try to be unpredictable about it.

Also the speed of your moves don't mean jack if you have to get into a punishable position in order to exploit it.

pulse131

Smash Ace
well shielding is good against spaced bair/jabs, and shield grabbing dair and stuff like in tight situations.
ntm upb out of it, etc.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
The point is : why would MK ever shield if he knows what he's doing ?
I can't take someone serious when they say "why would shield ever be a good option." Even for MK. I'm going to assume you're trying to troll me.

However, I will retort this to give advice to the new, aspiring Falcos.

Shield is for people who need to get a range/timing advantage,
Shielding beats the option of attacking, not to get a range/timing advantage. Movement is to help get a range/timing advantage.

and in that position (you in the air and him on the ground) MK can already outspace/punish you to oblivion.
Not true. Movement is extremely important in smash, its more important that many smashers realize. Small changes in movement can make MK players rethink their options. MK could outspace Falco's every move if he predicts where he goes and positions himself perfectly every single time, but that applies to every character.
MK's moves do have insane speed and range, but MK's inability to position himself as quickly as most characters keep him from being bannable.

The best thing you can do is not land near MK, and try to be unpredictable about it.
Yes and no. The best thing you can do is try not to be predictable. MK looking for a shield grab would most likely get tricked by an empty short hop into grab, as long as its not predictable.

Also the speed of your moves don't mean jack if you have to get into a punishable position in order to exploit it.
Speed of moves help them be less punishable when used. They don't have to predict movements with no lag moves because they would just use them when they need to be used.
Stuff in green.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Tommy G talk me through this at 1:18 of this vid.

That nair to upsmash. it that guaranteed. and do you have to ff it to get it off right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggt6cLxSaMY

nasty set up to up smash Pulse
It looked legit but it's a bit too close to tell for my eyes. It looked like the slight amount of hitstun comboed into landing lag which prolonged the time Pit couldn't do anything.

If you want something safer if that isn't guaranteed(but it wouldn't kill) you could do that nair to a grab. The opponent would have to side step ridiculously fast to avoid it.

Nice set up if it is legit though. :D

Pulse: I wrote a time stamp analysis of the whole match. With your permission, I'd like to put it here for newer Falcos could learn as well as to possibly help you improve.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
you usually want to get 2 or 3 hits of the nair to hit for the up smash combo to work.

and to piggyback on what tommy said nair jab grab works as well

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Who?

also, if you think im wrong, try it and test it for yourself, if you get f thrown by kirby at a low percent hit both sticks up and away from kirby right before you get hit by the up air.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Chef Fox said you were wrong about what you said about DI.
Smash both the control stick and the cstick up immediately when the uair hits you and then jump.

MARLX said:
Ok I also have anouther question? what move should i use for a continuous combo after dacus or bdacus?
There isn't anything that combos after the up smash, but there are setups. Short hop at them to make them do something(attack, airdodge) and back air them when they do. Falco's back air should win every time if you space it right.

Top Bottom