• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

Hey, Tommy. Is that Samus using Fsmash on Jiggs, or is that Jiggs clanking with Samus's Fsmash? I cannot really tell.

Also, what do you all favor most often after CG percents when you get a grab? I honestly cannot decide what the best follow-up is after those percents and you are still below 100%. I know Dthrow -> shielddash works wonders for anyone who airdodges or uses an aerial directly after. But I cannot quiet get used to using jab as it doesn't seem to do anything. I get an extra 3-4% in damage, but cannot follow-up on anything after that really.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Samus Fsmashing a Jiggs :D I main Samus in Smash 64

I love dair-ing people into the floor and tech chasing them from there. From that point, it's entirely based off of spacing and predicting moves, easiest/safest move for Falco in that situation as it pretty much beats every option on reaction. Jab grab if they wait is one of my favorites.

Falco's dash attack is severely underrated imo. It pops characters up and forces them to use an option or risk getting followed up from Falco's other stuff.

Yeah, CG 0%-45% -> dair -> Tech chase or something like that, but after that percentage is what I meant.
Dair does not connect at 50% from a dthrow grab typically on most characters. They can airdodge or jump out by then. Or hit you with an aerial.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
You want to mix things up with down throw dair, and down throw gatling combo, thats what I do.

I think its amazing that people still dont tech the dair, but w/e its not like im going to tell them to do it.

after the gatling combo, you can go for bair chains, up air frame traps or SH lasers into grab.

after down throw dair, you can jab grab them off the ground, try to jump over their get up attack into a dair chain, or sometimes you can even pull off down throw dair gatling.

if you do down throw jab, you can either dash attack (weak hit will set up for more dash attacks or grab), run in for another grab or maybe try to make them miss a tech and laser lock them.

also, after cg percents down throw Sh nair is great damage and sets up for SHDL grab.

the 2 things you have to realise is that 1. the opponent knows that they are about to eat a ton of damage so they will be in a primarily defensive mindset, meaning that they will rarely try to attack you and instead try to do some defensive action like rolling or airdodging. and if you dont have to worry about covering the offensive action then that makes your job a ton easier. and 2. you have so many options out of the CG that you never have to do the same thing twice in one match, so you should never have to worry about the opponent catching on to you.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
youre playing bad MKs then.

shuttle loop is easily THE WORST option for returning to the stage in that position.

any of his other b moves will beat falco if hes trying to do stuff from the ledge. drill is probably best tho.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
You can't even edgehod shuttle loop, they just glide to the other ledge lol. You must have play a horrible MK o_o

ALSO: Why is Falco considered to be so good on Japes? I personally don't see anything great on this stage. His killing ability is nerfed really badly and you can camp the middle platform against Falco if you have a lead. Getting the lead isn't so simple, but IMO it's not even a great stage. I feel it's better for MK than Falco.

Tell me D:

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
I will give you that, they were mindless and extremely inefficient with their shuttle loop gliding; this enabled me to edgehog it, -Lzr-.
Most of the time you won't but just saying it's possible. . .

Meh, I dont think Falco on Japes deserves as much praise as it gets. You're right about killing being nerfed (without the interference of the water, of course)

I will add more later, since I'm in school.

Slain Avenger

Smash Ace
Probably because you can always hinder an approach. You can phantasm all over the stage w/o worry, and one good f smash is all it takes for a kill to the left. It still isn't a secure win but handling that stage properly could have you racking up damage quickly and not taking any yourself. I rarely loose on japes cause of that, but it isn't your traditional falco game.

If its not flat, I do not like it.

I guess I should make a quesiton out of this.
Brinstar or RC. Which do you dislike more?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
def RC.

theres a lot of really small niche things that make brinstar playable.

also, if you play brinstar, you should probably be nairing 2 to 4 times as much as you usually do.

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
no way i hate brinstar its like falco hell to me. I would go RC every time over brinstar with falco.

our nair is good on the vertical part of RC we can laser camp on the top part play safe and you will be in a good position for most of that part. The ship is good for falco imo. I dont have a problem with my play style on the ship. the low platforms are easy to use for positioning. the hardest part is the vertical part but stay under your opp and and pressure with nair up air and bair.

RC>BS

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Ah, good to see a real discussion.

People over-exaggerate Falco's disadvantage. If you know what parts to be safe/offensive at, and how to control Falco very well, you won't do terrible. Of course there are better stage options, but it's not nearly as bad as people make it seem. Just takes practice and not ignorant claims.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
best way to maximise damage is to either down throw dair on stage and go for the tech chases or down throw nair to set up for other aerials.

if they forget that they have 6 jumps down throw gatling is a good setup as well.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
What's the highest percent that gatling will connect after down throw? On MK, I guess.

PaNiC!

Smash Apprentice
Anyone have any tips/ideas to make BDACUS easier? I'm trying my hardest to get this down. I want to be able to do it out of everything but the main things I want it out of is d-throw and shdl of coarse :D

Please help! I've been practicing it for a while and even with tutorials and such I cant seem to get it even 50% consistent.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
50% is still better than 80% of falcos out there.

practice makes perfect is really all I can tell you. ive only ever connected down throw bdacus twice ever. last friday and tonight.

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
You can't even edgehod shuttle loop, they just glide to the other ledge lol. You must have play a horrible MK o_o

ALSO: Why is Falco considered to be so good on Japes? I personally don't see anything great on this stage. His killing ability is nerfed really badly and you can camp the middle platform against Falco if you have a lead. Getting the lead isn't so simple, but IMO it's not even a great stage. I feel it's better for MK than Falco.

Tell me D:
Falco is probably one of the very few characters that can actually edge guard shuttle loop well, you can side b to the other side of the ledge before MK can grab it.

A lot of character's killing abilities are nerfed on japes.

Falco's camping is much better on japes since both lasers of shdl will hit if you're in the middle and you're opponent is on the far left/right. Being on the far left or right isn't that big a deal for Falco since he has a lot of side b tricks on that stage, so he can fight well on any part of that stage. The side b tricks also make it very hard to catch him, which means that slow characters are screwed. Then there's the cg spike that has a better chance of killing people if they don't SDI it right and are on the left side of the stage.
Anyone have any tips/ideas to make BDACUS easier? I'm trying my hardest to get this down. I want to be able to do it out of everything but the main things I want it out of is d-throw and shdl of coarse :D

Please help! I've been practicing it for a while and even with tutorials and such I cant seem to get it even 50% consistent.
Bdacus is the hardest thing you're gonna learn as Falco probably. I can do it out of most things, but am still not 100% consistent with it yet, I'm probably not even 90 or 80% consistent. There's nothing else I can tell you that'll help you bdacus better except to keep practicing it.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Keep practicing it out of Spot Dodge, It's probably the easiest way to learn.
THIS X1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

if yall read the bdacus thread you'd know i just recently starrted practicing it and couldnt get it like panic then i took blubs advice and tried it out of spotdodge and once i knew the timing in general i was able to figure out the timing out of other stuff. I can know bdacus out of shdl spotdodge airdodge into ground and im practicing dthrow. It requires quite a bit of work. And very hard to get 100% down. Lol larry ur a beast at bdacus every time u kill som1 you do like 5 bdacus xD.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
The best way to learn it is to learn the buffer timings all individually.

Step 1: Learn how early you can dash while spot dodging. (Input: Control stick Forward during spot dodge, try to see what's the earliest timing you can press it and it still comes out)
Step 2: Learn how early you can dash attack while spot dodging. (Input: Control stick Forward+C-stick down, same as above.)
Step 3: Try to get fast enough to hit the C-stick up before the buffer window is over after the dash attack.(Input: Control stick Forward+C-stick down+C-stick up)

Even if you can't buffer the up smash, the speed is helpful when you need the timing for it to be after the window. I have more success when I try to buffer it as soon as I can rather than trying to time it with the dash attack.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
The best way to learn it is to learn the buffer timings all individually.

Step 1: Learn how early you can dash while spot dodging. (Input: Control stick Forward during spot dodge, try to see what's the earliest timing you can press it and it still comes out)
Step 2: Learn how early you can dash attack while spot dodging. (Input: Control stick Forward+C-stick down, same as above.)
Step 3: Try to get fast enough to hit the C-stick up before the buffer window is over after the dash attack.(Input: Control stick Forward+C-stick down+C-stick up)

Even if you can't buffer the up smash, the speed is helpful when you need the timing for it to be after the window. I have more success when I try to buffer it as soon as I can rather than trying to time it with the dash attack.
ya once i figured out the dash attack timing i just did the same thing but added a quick extra cstick up and it works for me

Inferno3044

Smash Master
I have heard of Bdacus but don't really know what it is. Wasn't in the Falco guide last time I checked either. Can someone explain what it is, the benefit of it, and how to do it? Thanks

Ares

Smash Journeyman
Dthrow: I usually start the inputs as hes shooting the last laser..
SHDL: After the max height of my jump..b twice then immediately BDacus inputs, basically you wanna get the inputs off before u hit the ground..

Its actually alot easier than we made it out to be when it was first "announced" as a useful tech. imo

pulse131

Smash Ace
l0ol bdacus out of dthrow is mah fave :)
pretty much whenever im in training mode messing around i practice bdacus out of all kinds of things but those more useful imo are out of
double laser- obv, tru combos :)
back roll- great mind game. most opponents wont ever see it come and its flashy as hell.
landing with a lag free aerial or air dodge.

the easiest are spot dodge and double laser, can do them both very consistently.
the real nifty ones are out of phantasm, boost grab and glide toss. once you get them down they're really fun to experiment with.
now doing it in intense tourny matches is a different story o.o

Slain Avenger

Smash Ace
l0ol bdacus out of dthrow is mah fave :)
pretty much whenever im in training mode messing around i practice bdacus out of all kinds of things but those more useful imo are out of
double laser- obv, tru combos :)
back roll- great mind game. most opponents wont ever see it come and its flashy as hell.
landing with a lag free aerial or air dodge.

the easiest are spot dodge and double laser, can do them both very consistently.
the real nifty ones are out of phantasm, boost grab and glide toss. once you get them down they're really fun to experiment with.
now doing it in intense tourny matches is a different story o.o
That's particularly my issue.

I can't phantasm cancel or bdacus in tourney matches for the life of me. I stopped using Falco in tournaments cause of this. No matter my confidence level, I still don't have control over a lot of AT's during that situation.

I can consistently perform cancels and other things in training mode (bdacus isn't to consistent cause I don't practice it to often), they also come out in friendly's on a very normal basis. In tourneys I usually just buffer dash attacks or nothing happens.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
A huge problem with a lot of Falco players is that they don't really know the spacing of their moves as much as they think they do, not that they're messing up their technical skills.
Falco's jab is 2 frames and reaches ridiculously far for a move that fast. When spaced this happens:

Ftilt reaches even farther, comes out fast, and pushes people away from grab range when its spaced. It gets punished when not spaced so its important it's spaced.
Dash attack covers a lot of space very quickly and hits people up to make them pick an option before getting followed up by an aerial (which can lead to a safe read->punish)
Falco's grab range is one of the best in the game. We're all spoiled by it and we think everyone has this range except people with better ranges. Play other characters and learn to appreciate your grab.

The reason why DEHF does so well is he abuses the above(maybe not dash attack, that's my favorite) until he can put the opponent in a place where they're forced to guess and get punished for it(usually punished by a move that puts them in a place to make them guess again like ftilting them off of the stage.)

Forget BDacus
Forget Phantasm Cancels
Forget Boost pivot grabs
Even forget short hop double lasers.

Play a few matches just walking back and forth having your objective being seeing how close you can get your opponent to attack you without it hitting you.

Oh and new Falcos....stop jumping so much.

Final edit: I'm finally done editing this post. XD

MARLX

Smash Journeyman
Falco is probably one of the very few characters that can actually edge guard shuttle loop well, you can side b to the other side of the ledge before MK can grab it.

A lot of character's killing abilities are nerfed on japes.

Falco's camping is much better on japes since both lasers of shdl will hit if you're in the middle and you're opponent is on the far left/right. Being on the far left or right isn't that big a deal for Falco since he has a lot of side b tricks on that stage, so he can fight well on any part of that stage. The side b tricks also make it very hard to catch him, which means that slow characters are screwed. Then there's the cg spike that has a better chance of killing people if they don't SDI it right and are on the left side of the stage.

Bdacus is the hardest thing you're gonna learn as Falco probably. I can do it out of most things, but am still not 100% consistent with it yet, I'm probably not even 90 or 80% consistent. There's nothing else I can tell you that'll help you bdacus better except to keep practicing it.
What about some grabs zss or olimar that pull you down from the edge guard. (falco = no good recovery).

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
A huge problem with a lot of Falco players is that they don't really know the spacing of their moves as much as they think they do, not that they're messing up their technical skills.
Falco's jab is 2 frames and reaches ridiculously far for a move that fast. When spaced this happens:

Ftilt reaches even farther, comes out fast, and pushes people away from grab range when its spaced. It gets punished when not spaced so its important it's spaced.
Dash attack covers a lot of space very quickly and hits people up to make them pick an option before getting followed up by an aerial (which can lead to a safe read->punish)
Falco's grab range is one of the best in the game. We're all spoiled by it and we think everyone has this range except people with better ranges. Play other characters and learn to appreciate your grab.

The reason why DEHF does so well is he abuses the above(maybe not dash attack, that's my favorite) until he can put the opponent in a place where they're forced to guess and get punished for it(usually punished by a move that puts them in a place to make them guess again like ftilting them off of the stage.)

Forget BDacus
Forget Phantasm Cancels
Forget Boost pivot grabs
Even forget short hop double lasers.

Play a few matches just walking back and forth having your objective being seeing how close you can get your opponent to attack you without it hitting you.

Oh and new Falcos....stop jumping so much.

Final edit: I'm finally done editing this post. XD
Smart post

MARLX

Smash Journeyman
DEHF. do you remember versing TKD? What was the problem versing him because of all people you should know what happend and why did you have trouble on fox?

Top Bottom