• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

J4pu

Smash Champion
horizontal you want the one that ends fastest, our frame data thread is incomplete but the general consensus is that Uair ends faster than Bair
Dair is correct for vertical

Ambient_Horizon

Smash Ace
I suppose I have a question.

Outside of the CG, does the Boost Pivot Grab have any conventional uses despite it not being as fast as Fox's? I find myself using it occasionally but I want to know if any good Falco's utilize it like that.

J4pu

Smash Champion
run at someone, predict spotdodge, use boost pivot grab to grab from behind as their spotdodge ends.

not sure how good this is at competitive levels, but I use run past > pivot grab fairly often even with characters that dont have a BPG, so it seems even better if you have that extra speed boost. And if you land it it ****s with their head.

Jon?

Smash Champion
Use BPG to catch an opponent who falls to the ground with air dodges. Otherwise, it is just flashy.

Sky`

Smash Lord
I suppose I have a question.

Outside of the CG, does the Boost Pivot Grab have any conventional uses despite it not being as fast as Fox's? I find myself using it occasionally but I want to know if any good Falco's utilize it like that.

When Wario, or some other characters Nair or Poke your shield, you can Boost Pivot Grab them OOS as a punishment. Which is amazing, considering that you can't really punish wario out of his Nair.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
horizontal you want the one that ends fastest, our frame data thread is incomplete but the general consensus is that Uair ends faster than Bair
Dair is correct for vertical
Ahh wow thank you. did not know Uair was faster

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Is it possible to SHDL with the WiiMote-Nunchuck? It feels awkward, And I always end up doing a grounded laser. Single Hop laser is possible though. I do plan on getting a GC controller, but until then should I bother practicing SHDL?
Yes it's possible But I would bother with it till you get a gc controller

Slain Avenger

Smash Ace
Another random noobish question. Sometimes, falco players appear to use a "jab-lock" type thing where they just use 1st and 2nd jab and don't enter the AAA combo. I know this somehow involves the timing that's used to do the A A Grab combo, but I can't seem to get this right, how is this executed?

guys
Game and watch help please, any time I fight a good one I just can't pull out the win
Lucario too
I am going to try some new match-up therapy treatment. The patient will answer their own problems.

1) What are you getting punished for doing? (ex. trying to grab a lot and people are reading it)
2) Where are you having problems doing things? (ex. you aren't DI correctly, tech skill)

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord
I am going to try some new match-up therapy treatment. The patient will answer their own problems.

1) What are you getting punished for doing? (ex. trying to grab a lot and people are reading it)
2) Where are you having problems doing things? (ex. you aren't DI correctly, tech skill)
I mean, I do this already, I'm a good player as far as reading and prediction go, its just that I was wondering if there was any specific matchup tips you guys could give me.

J4pu

Smash Champion
honestly, not sure. Maybe you accidentally forgot to jump before doing the next laser, but it really looks like there was landing lag with him putting the gun away.
after watching it a few more times it looks like you/whoever is playing did a grounded laser there, no jump input or jump input too early causing it not to be read.

also, you gotsta work on your SHDL, 2nd laser should be standing laser height.

AfroThunderRule

Smash Journeyman
honestly, not sure. Maybe you accidentally forgot to jump before doing the next laser, but it really looks like there was landing lag with him putting the gun away.
after watching it a few more times it looks like you/whoever is playing did a grounded laser there, no jump input or jump input too early causing it not to be read.

also, you gotsta work on your SHDL, 2nd laser should be standing laser height.
How could Falco have done a grounded laser when he was midair? >.<

And I know how to SHDL, I just did ot that way so people wouldn't say that I did the lasers too late or something. (Maybe me doing SHDL too early caused this.)

J4pu

Smash Champion
How could Falco have done a grounded laser when he was midair? >.<
he didn't, he did it when he was on the ground, look at your video the last laser you shoot 0:06-0:07, it's a grounded laser.
I'm thinking your timing was off for pressing the jump button, which caused falco to not jump after he landed, then you pressed B for a SHL but since the game didn't read your jump input you ended up doing a grounded laser.
it wasn't landing lag, you just didn't jump.

AfroThunderRule

Smash Journeyman
he didn't, he did it when he was on the ground, look at your video the last laser you shoot 0:06-0:07, it's a grounded laser.
I'm thinking your timing was off for pressing the jump button, which caused falco to not jump after he landed, then you pressed B for a SHL but since the game didn't read your jump input you ended up doing a grounded laser.
it wasn't landing lag, you just didn't jump.
I'm not talking about that part, I know what caused that, I was buffering a SHDL then out out nowhere that weird landing lag at 0:05-0:06 appeared out of nowhere causing the game not registering my jump since I was buffering a SHDL assuming that I would have landed lagless, I'm asking why did that weird landing lag happen or why it didn't happen earlier or something. Sorry if I wasn't clear. >_<

ive had that before.

theres just a certain point in falcos laser animation that lags.
When he lands a midair laser? o_O

Seems random....

J4pu

Smash Champion
What I'm saying is I've been playing Falco in brawl for almost 2 years now and you can ask anybody who's ever seen a video of one of my matches and they'll tell you all i do is spam SHDL and I've never seen that happen.
I'm saying I don't think there was any landing lag, I think you just shot a grounded laser.

If you want proof of this go check how long it takes for a grounded laser to come out, then go back and look at your video and compare how long it took for your grounded laser to come out after landing, if there really was landing lag then there should be a significant difference in the start-up frames.

chaoechidna

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I'm having trouble with the ROB matchup and being gayed by his shield and dsmash OOS. Just ROB in general owns my falco. I see that there hasn't been a matchup discussion on him yet (or it's too old to be found here anymore), so any advice? I try camping, but I still get owned with tilts, aerials, etc. And his down B gyro is a pain as well. Any advice on how you guys deal with ROBs would be super appreciated, just cause I want to have this matchup down for my next tourney (viridian?) and i plan on going falco like usual. But actually doing well this time. Thanks!

J4pu

Smash Champion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfOAByZDXpQ

Why is a buffered dacus so good? Saviorslegacy topic in tactical, check it out if you haven't already.
It gives slightly more boost, if you held the smash like you did with the non-buffered I imagine it would have hit yoshi. I really don't think the difference is significant though, if you think about it, the input is the same it's just the cancel into Usmash is done at a more opportune time (1st frame of DA) which is impossible to do without buffering because the game would just read it as you holding the attack input for the DA down.
Somebody else explained this on the 2nd or 3rd page of the thread, it's cool for diddy because it's the only way he can get a slide out of his boost smash, but for characters who already have a good slide, it's more or less insignificant.

Top Bottom