• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
All a opponent has to do is airdodge after they get hit to avoid any laserlock setup. Everyone airdodges by reaction anyways.

The only real laserlock is bairing someone off a platform and knocking them off into laserlock when they hit hte ground.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Sometimes I will bair someone onto a platform, or dair them onto the platform, then shdl (only hitting with 1) to force a get up and continue the "combo" it is pretty cool.

VERY situational though...and easily avoidable.

Denzi

Smash Master
Laserlock isn't useless, but you should never expect one or go out of your way to try to get one (unless you're playing on Pictochat, in which case you can llock from a cg).

@ palpi: In that situation you might as well continuing the infinite rather than just getting an extra hit. If you've got someone trapped on a BF platform, you can keep them in place with alternating left and right SHDLs. And yu can end it with an up smash.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
The best laserlock setups are off platforms/walls or the dthrow jab into LL which is pretty good but ive never done it. All other setups are very easily escaped

Gatling combo, yes. Do it and charge usmash if u wanna be fancy lol

Don Guero

Smash Journeyman
i keep running into situations where i only have one option like a phantasm recovery. then once i do the phantasm, i get punished for it. is there anything i can do about these situations?

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Utilt kills at 180% and Ftilt kills at ~200%. You set up by camping with lasers.

There's also laser -> Dacus, but we really don't have many kill setups.
Utilt kills earlier, marth at ~155
All a opponent has to do is airdodge after they get hit to avoid any laserlock setup. Everyone airdodges by reaction anyways.
What kind of opponents do you play against to be able to react to the laser animation startup? If they always airdodge just read it with a smash lulz.

Jon?

Smash Champion
i keep running into situations where i only have one option like a phantasm recovery. then once i do the phantasm, i get punished for it. is there anything i can do about these situations?
Simply predict where you opponent will be after you use your phantasm. If he is near the edge phantasm on top of the stage. If it is a stage with platforms, it can be safe and unpredictable if you recover onto the platforms. If you opponent is standing near the middle of the stage, simply just aim for the ledge.

Once you reach the ledge, acknowledge your opponents position and take the smart option. If your opponent is standing in the middle again, you can get back up by ledge drop double laser or simply hitting up. Only time I use phantasm is when my opponent is up in my face and I need to get out of there asap. The biggest mistake with Falcos are their predictable phantasms. Mix up your recover and get up options and you'll won't get punished as easily.

Learning the long phantasm cancel is also pretty helpful. You can recover high and reduce the chance of getting punished.

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord
Laser Lock Setups that work more than others:

CG->Jab-> laser at like 50%
Ledge Getup attack under 100-> laser
Splatting (on Tink and Pika and idk who else >.>) - only one laser though
Bairing a shield off a platform-> laser

Denzi

Smash Master
Laser Lock Setups that work more than others:

CG->Jab-> laser at like 50%
Splatting (on Tink and Pika and idk who else >.>) - only one laser though
Bairing a shield off a platform-> laser
Dthrow -> jab doesn't setup a Llock if it's from a CG, Dthrow has to be fresh(er). And it think it works (well) on heavies/FFers from ~60-110%.

I think splatting also works on D3 and Diddy. You get the full lock on all if on Pictochat.

Last method is the most probable.

How often should I IAP to run from my opponents? I know that if I do it every time I will get punished.
As much as your opponent lets you. If you aren't getting punished don't stop at all. Learning the different cancel distances can make it a lot safer.

J4pu

Smash Champion
Utilt kills earlier, marth at ~155

What kind of opponents do you play against to be able to react to the laser animation startup? If they always airdodge just read it with a smash lulz.
DI away + AD is pretty **** safe

I started making a thread a long time ago about the % for Dthrow jab LL, then when we found out it was really easy to avoid I stopped, but it still has some info in it that you might want to look at, iono what the name was, just search Dthrow jab LL in the falco boards or something.

Jon?

Smash Champion
I was never a big fan of Japes as a CP. That plus it is banned in my region. I usually just go Picto Chat if they ban FD on me.

Acton

Smash Journeyman
Okay I have two questions, well one is really a comment the other a question.

Well the first is about shdl. I found that if your at the very top of your jump and you press B twice you do a shdl. If it comes off as two lazers higher in the air its actually because the first lazer you did was a rising lazer. Is this true

The second is how do DI while jumping backwards without doing the flippy thing while doing SHDL. How is it done? I've seen videos but I don't know how to do it. Like I can wait a little bit then DI but then I can pull of the DL.

chaoechidna

Smash Apprentice
First comment: True.

Your question I don't really understand, but if you jump first THEN press back after, you should DI backwards without doing a flip. I think. But the flip is good! It's great for SHL tricks and such. Hope this helps, someone correct me if i'm wrong because I didn't understand that question too well..

J4pu

Smash Champion
Okay I have two questions, well one is really a comment the other a question.

Well the first is about shdl. I found that if your at the very top of your jump and you press B twice you do a shdl. If it comes off as two lazers higher in the air its actually because the first lazer you did was a rising lazer. Is this true

The second is how do DI while jumping backwards without doing the flippy thing while doing SHDL. How is it done? I've seen videos but I don't know how to do it. Like I can wait a little bit then DI but then I can pull of the DL.
once you're shooting lasers you can't DI, the momentum you will have is what you had before you shot.
My only guess to what you're talking about is the wavebounced laser, I'll let somebody else explain it, I'm lazy.

Acton

Smash Journeyman
If you do the flippy thing while jumping back, you can only do a shl not a shdl.

Basically how does one retreat while doing shdl. Is the only way to retreat to dash away from the enemy then smash back on the analog stick real quick then do a shdl?

Because I can short hop then DI towards the enemy while doing shdl, but because of the flippy thingy I cant seem to di away while doing shdl.

gopobox

Smash Journeyman
You have to do a reversed laser while doing a backflip.

So lets say you are backfiipping towards the left.
Immediately after you moved control stick to the left to backflip. You got to flick the control stick towards the right a bit so that way you can do a laser towards the right so you can do shdl while in a backflip. But the problem with this is that you can't move as far back as you could with a shl.

Anonymous Brawler

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty bad at DI. Would always holding up left make my DI better?

And why dont you do a RAR laser then? You won't do the backflip, so it's the same thing as aproaching SHDL.

Palpi

Smash Hero
For DI, try to know what moves your opponent will punish you to kill you..for survival DI atleast. If it is snake and he just spot dodged or down threw you, you should be expecting the utilt if you are at high percent. In that case you should use your fastest aerial and fastfall. Smashstick dair always fast falls. Diddy kong almost always kills horizontally so you want to DI his moves into the top right or top left corner of the blast zone so you survive longer.

Pretty much, get used to the moves people use on you and you will eventually preemptively DI them.

You can also SDI out of lots of moves like pika dsmash, diddy's fsmash, pits fsmash etc.

Top Bottom